Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That's it, I'm buying a console

Thanks

That's it, I'm buying a console

PC gaming is dead to me.

I've had a mild interest in Dirt 2 for a while so I fired up Steam (which had to download updates first) and had a look. I didn't fancy paying £29.99 up front so opted to install the demo first. Steam set about taking care of that for me (I have to say I do like Steam, it's a fantastic system, I've used it since HL2).

I was also looking at the Hexus news and noted a 10% improvement with Dirt 2 for Radeon 4800 series cards, so decided to upgrade my 10.2 drivers to 10.3. Nice easy to find package on the ATI/AMD site for Server 2008 R2 (aka Windows 7 x64). Install started ok (which is an improvement over the ridiculous VC++ errors I have previously had to deal with which completely nobble the installer) but spent 5 minutes doing god knows what with my multi-monitor setup, eventually landing back to my normal settings minus my primary monitor's background (and some strange corruption when dragging items on the desktop).

The Catalyst install completed ok but because of the desktop thing I decided to reboot as a precaution (although there was no prompt to do so). When the system came back up I was welcomed by an error from CCC telling me it couldn't find a supported GPU in my system. Fantastic.

Everything else looked ok so I continued to load Steam (no updates this time) and fire up the Dirt 2 demo which had finished downloading before I rebooted. It then spent a minute or two doing something with DirectX (installing, allegedly - although this was already up to date), and then a new installer popped up. Something to do with sound, Blue Ripple Rapture somethingorother, I'd never heard of it anyway. So I followed that through and up popped a dialog for configuring my speakers.

At this point, I was thinking - seriously, what the hell? I already have the Asus drivers taking care of sound and speakers, not to mention DirectX and a myriad of other APIs available. Although I appeared to be able to position the speakers in this new tool, that didn't work. So I cancelled out and left it alone.

Back to Steam. I clicked play on Dirt 2. Nothing happened. I clicked play again. Still nothing. So I tried creating a desktop shortcut. That didn't work either.

So I've just wasted half an hour of my life dicking about just trying to run a demo which should have just worked. Ok so perhaps half of this could have been avoided by not updating the display drivers, but frankly that should have just worked too. For one thing this has put me off bothering with Dirt 2. But it's also reminded me why I very rarely bother with games at all. I just want it to bloody work! Is that too much to ask?!?!

So for that reason, I'm out. Time to buy a console.
    Simon

Thanks
    • format's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP35 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Core2Duo E6750 @ 3.2ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB GSkill PC8000
      • Storage:
      • WD500GB+750GB F1 + 250GB external drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce GTX260
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182 + 3 x Nexus fans
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" DGM
      • Internet:
      • BeThere* Pro

Re: That's it, I'm buying a console

~'Armaments, universal debt, and planned obsolescence--those are the three pillars of Western prosperity'~ Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    • cleaverlch's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P6T
      • CPU:
      • i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6GB DDR3 1333 GSkill
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 830 256GB, 3TB + 1TB + 650GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD HD6950
      • PSU:
      • Corsair tx 650w
      • Case:
      • antec p180b
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" 2713hm
      • Internet:
      • Cable

Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    PC gaming is dead to me.

I've had a mild interest in Dirt 2 for a while so I fired up Steam (which had to download updates first) and had a look. I didn't fancy paying £29.99 up front so opted to install the demo first. Steam set about taking care of that for me (I have to say I do like Steam, it's a fantastic system, I've used it since HL2).

I was also looking at the Hexus news and noted a 10% improvement with Dirt 2 for Radeon 4800 series cards, so decided to upgrade my 10.2 drivers to 10.3. Nice easy to find package on the ATI/AMD site for Server 2008 R2 (aka Windows 7 x64). Install started ok (which is an improvement over the ridiculous VC++ errors I have previously had to deal with which completely nobble the installer) but spent 5 minutes doing god knows what with my multi-monitor setup, eventually landing back to my normal settings minus my primary monitor's background (and some strange corruption when dragging items on the desktop).

The Catalyst install completed ok but because of the desktop thing I decided to reboot as a precaution (although there was no prompt to do so). When the system came back up I was welcomed by an error from CCC telling me it couldn't find a supported GPU in my system. Fantastic.

Everything else looked ok so I continued to load Steam (no updates this time) and fire up the Dirt 2 demo which had finished downloading before I rebooted. It then spent a minute or two doing something with DirectX (installing, allegedly - although this was already up to date), and then a new installer popped up. Something to do with sound, Blue Ripple Rapture somethingorother, I'd never heard of it anyway. So I followed that through and up popped a dialog for configuring my speakers.

At this point, I was thinking - seriously, what the hell? I already have the Asus drivers taking care of sound and speakers, not to mention DirectX and a myriad of other APIs available. Although I appeared to be able to position the speakers in this new tool, that didn't work. So I cancelled out and left it alone.

Back to Steam. I clicked play on Dirt 2. Nothing happened. I clicked play again. Still nothing. So I tried creating a desktop shortcut. That didn't work either.

So I've just wasted half an hour of my life dicking about just trying to run a demo which should have just worked. Ok so perhaps half of this could have been avoided by not updating the display drivers, but frankly that should have just worked too. For one thing this has put me off bothering with Dirt 2. But it's also reminded me why I very rarely bother with games at all. I just want it to bloody work! Is that too much to ask?!?!

Ever bothered checking the error logs that you can find in the administrative tools?

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

<long story about not being able to run a game on a server OS>
    tl;dr
    H3XU5 Social FAQ
    Quote Originally Posted by tiggerai View Post
    I do like a bit of hot crumpet

5. Received thanks from:

eshrules (25-03-2010),fuddam (26-03-2010),jackvdbuk (26-03-2010),Noxvayl (26-03-2010)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cleaverlch View Post
    Ever bothered checking the error logs that you can find in the administrative tools?
    You're missing the point. Why doesn't it just work? It should *just* work. I'm sure the answer is buried away somewhere in a log or a forum post on some board out there. I'm sure it's all fixable (maybe even avoidable) given the time or inclination.

But I have neither right now; I just wanted to play the game. I used to loathe consoles for their inferior graphics and high game prices - but now it's clear that that is the price for convenience, and it's a price worth paying.

As for using a server OS, perhaps this does have a bearing on things. But I've reaped the benefits since XP x64 (which was really Server 2003 x64) and have had systems with all the usual nice bits from the home OSs along side the benefits of a server OS for my work.

In any case, as far as I'm concerned it should still just work. Games shouldn't have dependencies on the name on the box as long as things like DirectX are present and correct.
    Simon

Jay
    Thanks

why are you running R2? Just get 7 x64 and stop running games on a server OS.
    □ΞVΞ□

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

As for using a server OS, perhaps this does have a bearing on things. But I've reaped the benefits since XP x64 (which was really Server 2003 x64) and have had systems with all the usual nice bits from the home OSs along side the benefits of a server OS for my work.

In any case, as far as I'm concerned it should still just work. Games shouldn't have dependencies on the name on the box as long as things like DirectX are present and correct.

XP x64 is not really Server 2003 x64, Server 2008 x64 is not really Windows Vista/ Windows 7

So you bought an unsupported OS and expect your games to just work? I'll start running Crysis on an Itanium server then shall I? After all it's a CPU just different architecture so should run right?
    H3XU5 Social FAQ

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Should've bought a Mac.

No, wait...

10. Received thanks from:

[GSV]Trig (26-03-2010),MSIC (26-03-2010),Phage (26-03-2010)

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Should've bought a Mac.

No, wait...
    At least he could run the games via bootcamp, unless he chose to install Server 2ksomething instead of xp/vista/W7
    H3XU5 Social FAQ

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Got to agree with finlay666, server OS's are for servers... it's in the name. Gaming orientated features are not present and shouldn't be, it's a SERVER OS

Thanks
    • Haiku32's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Abit IP-35 Dark Raider
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.0gHz
      • Memory:
      • 2GB
      • Storage:
      • Western Digital 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 8800GTS 640mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 520W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 20" + LG 22"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 16Mb

Since when has pc gaming ever "just worked"? That's just not going to happen when you are almost never going to find a pc which has the exact same hardware and software as another pc. With a console, they build the game to work on specific hardware. They know exactly what their limits and constraints are and they work with those. The fact that pc gaming is as simple as it is right now is pretty amazing when you think about it. Don't bitch about pc gaming because of some bad experiences with getting games to work.

Thanks
    • finlay666's system
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 6950 2gb
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8
      • Monitor(s):
      • U2713HM and V222H
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku32 View Post
    Since when has pc gaming ever "just worked"? That's just not going to happen when you are almost never going to find a pc which has the exact same hardware and software as another pc. With a console, they build the game to work on specific hardware. They know exactly what their limits and constraints are and they work with those. The fact that pc gaming is as simple as it is right now is pretty amazing when you think about it. Don't bitch about pc gaming because of some bad experiences with getting games to work.
    He isn't trying to play games on a PC though, he is trying to do it on a server, with a different set of libraries, kernel and security patterns, not to mention different drivers etc
    H3XU5 Social FAQ

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Haiku32 View Post
    I agree it's never been easy. A lot of things in computing have been difficult and problems are solved over time. And yet attempting to play a game is still a minefield. Where's the progress? The point I'm making is that for the casual gamer that just wants to jump into a game for half an hour, a PC is utterly useless.

And for the love of god, stop focusing on the server OS point. If that is the cause of the Dirt 2 demo not running, then it's the first game I've tried to play in the last 5 years that hasn't worked. I have to assume you don't have any experience whatsoever with using a server OS on the desktop otherwise you'd know you have no argument. In fact, why not have a look here and here at the list of known working games, an then tell me games don't work.

Still of the belief that Windows XP x64 isn't just Server 2003 x64 with bells and whistles? This is just one Microsoft document that a quick Google search showed up that places them side by side.

Now, this discussion is gravely off-topic. My point, as I've said, is that PC gaming is still after all the years, much too difficult and complicated for the casual gamer. Which is exactly where consoles fit in and have the advantage.
    Simon

Thanks
    • Ciber's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Prime X470 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Team Group
      • Storage:
      • ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB + 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX960 Strix
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Snow Silent 650W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Pro
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG329Q
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone Fibre

The thing is if you were running windows 7 properly it would have updated the drviers for you with windows update. Normally pretty easy on 7, most things update themselves automatically and, yes, they do just work.
    My blog

I used to play BF3, Battlefield BC2, BF4 and TF2

Do something amazing.... Give blood

Thanks
    • danroyle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • N/A
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core I7 4720HQ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 128GB SSD +1tb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Geforce Gtx960m
      • PSU:
      • N/A
      • Case:
      • N/A
      • Operating System:
      • WINDOWS 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15.6" IPS
      • Internet:
      • BT Fibre

game runs fine on windows 7 although to be honest mate other than the nice looking graphics. the cars feel like they are sliding on ice the whole time, You haven't missed much.

If your gonna buy a console though ATARI 2600 FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Still of the belief that Windows XP x64 isn't just Server 2003 x64 with bells
    No, it is. But it's also a massively gimped OS in my eyes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information