Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Digital Britain: how the government plans to make Britain the digital capital

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Digital Britain: how the government plans to make Britain the digital capital

The highly-anticipated 245-page Digital Britain report has been published, here are some of the highlights.
    Read more.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: News - Digital Britain: how the government plans to make Britain the digital capi

Every time I see/hear "Britain is going to lead the world", and "technology" in the same publication/press release, I just know it's going to suck, hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Lyall3s1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q PRO
      • CPU:
      • Q9550 @ 3.93Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 4GB G-Skill PC2-8500 @ 1111mhz
      • Storage:
      • 2 x Spinpoint F1 1TB Raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Powercolor HD4870X2 @ 790/915
      • PSU:
      • Hi-Power 1300W Modular
      • Case:
      • NZXT Tempest
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" TFT

Re: News - Digital Britain: how the government plans to make Britain the digital capi

Universal access to broadband (as in every house in the UK) by 2012? I doubt it. Although if they did manage it I'd be glad to get over my rubbish 1.5mbps . Also reducing illegal file sharing by 70% in the next 12 months is extremely unrealistic.

Thanks

Also reducing illegal file sharing by 70% in the next 12 months is extremely unrealistic.
    Let me guess ... using imported Chinese software technology?
    Hexus estas unu el la plej bonaj teknikaj ejoj Mi havas vizititan!

Thanks
    • Crevan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4GB OCZ Platinum Rev.2 800MHz
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX460
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W
      • Case:
      • Hiper Osiris
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 223BW 21.6''
      • Internet:
      • VM 30Mbps

Quote Originally Posted by Lyall3s1 View Post
    Universal access to broadband (as in every house in the UK) by 2012? I doubt it. Although if they did manage it I'd be glad to get over my rubbish 1.5mbps .
    Don't forget that by "universal" they mean 2mbps Not exactly a world leading speed, eh? It's not even close to average in Europe, mind you. And Japan's probably gonna have the whole country covered in fibre before that time

Jay
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by father smurf View Post
    Let me guess ... using imported Chinese software technology?
    that it self is a pirated and hacked version of another bit of software.
    □ΞVΞ□

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    that it self is a pirated and hacked version of another bit of software.
    And includes some Opensource code with the license removed - which is verry naughty as well
    Last edited by father smurf; 16-06-2009 at 05:21 PM. Reason: speeling
    Hexus estas unu el la plej bonaj teknikaj ejoj Mi havas vizititan!

Thanks
    • Barry's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z270M-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700
      • Memory:
      • 16GB (2x8GB) Avexir 2400
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 860 256GB SSD, Sandisk Ultra 3D 500GB, LG BR Writer
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Evga GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM750I
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Acer UHD 4K2K
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

lead the world, thats a bold and frankly complete bs claim concidering how far behind this country is to others

As for 50Mbps by 2017, why so long, adsl and cable has been in the UK (for most) since 2002 and most still cant get more than they did 5 years ago, infact if anything the quality of connections have gotten worse due to more and more traffic and the lines not being able to cope with so much data.
    Someone left a note on a piece of cake in the fridge that said, "Do not eat!". I ate the cake and left a note saying, "Yuck, who the hell eats paper ?

Thanks
    • McPhee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8H67 Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2400
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Crucial DDR3-1033
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Kingston SSDNow V2+
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX460
      • PSU:
      • BeQuiet 550W
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 19" Samsung 941BW
      • Internet:
      • 1Mbps

The one single thing I'd have hoped for in this is an end to this "Fair Use Policy" bull. I'm currently locked in to an AOL contract being billed £28/month and my connection is constantly capped for going over the 10GB limit they introduced in Feb. I've got to wait til December to get out, until then i get to download files at 15kbps and play games with 300ms+ ping. There's 5 people in this house, there's no way we'll ever be below the 10GB mark, even with these speed limits in place. Sadly i don't think anyone gives a hoot in that regard.

The 100% 2Mbps coverage thing is good news though. It's not exactly going to move this country forward in terms of what is possible but 2Mbps is plenty for general internet use.

Thanks
    • GaryRW's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte P35C DS3R
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • DDR2 4gb
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Spinpoint F1 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 8800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520w
      • Case:
      • Antec P182
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW

Quote Originally Posted by McPhee View Post
    I'm currently locked in to an AOL contract being billed £28/month and my connection is constantly capped for going over the 10GB limit they introduced in Feb. I've got to wait til December to get out...
    I'm no expert on this, but if they have introduced a cap which has materially affect the service you receive, you should be able to argue strongly that they should release you from the contract.

Others may jump in and say the ISP's don't let it work like that, but strikes me it's a material change in the contract/service, and any contract term saying they can do things like that to you as a consumer without giving you a get out should be seen as unfair under unfair contract terms act.

In the time it's taken me to type this, I've realised it may be that they had a pre-existing "fair use" policy, but have only recently changed the exact implementation. I'd still argue it was a material change to the service, and so the above should still apply.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Digital Capital of the world... wtf? Netherlands, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Iceland, Norway and Sweden will more than likely have fully fibre networks before 2012... half of those nations are at 70% fibre coverage already and Britain are banging on about ADSL still, that is the most ridiculous claim this government has made right next to the eradication of terrorists by fighting them. Yeah violence leads to less violence, teaching the world such a valuable lesson there numpties.

I also love the fact that they want to reduce illegal file sharing by giving Ofcom more powers for prosecution... when have threats ever reduced anything? Even if they take people to court and fine them heavily it's not going to reduce file sharing. All it will ever achieve is stopping people from viewing the media because they would rather do without the media than buy it, so nothing they do will get file sharers to purchase over priced goods.

In my opinion Virgin's idea of a subscription service with unlimited downloads and no DRM is the right idea, although it would need to give you good prices. The industry gets its money although less of it than they are used to and customers are happy with the return they get from it. A far more effective deterrent to file sharing than prosecution because negativity can only lead to more negativity and unfortunately for them they loose out more than file sharers do.

Another major failure by the labour government in my opinion.

Formerly known as Andehh Andeh13's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Andeh13's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-P35
      • CPU:
      • Intel Q6600
      • Memory:
      • 4gb Corsair XMS2 800mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 250gb Western Digital AAKS, 2 x 500gb Western Digital AAKS, 1TB WD Caviar Green
      • Graphics card(s):
      • BFG Geforce 8800GTS 512mb
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" & Sony 17"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 10mb... hate them!

As i said in the thread in General Discussion;

I wonder if we get a cut of the profits when Virgin Media, Sky, BT etc etc make a fortune charging for the services that will use the lines we are paying to install! Seems only fair tbh!

Thanks
    • alsenior's system
      • Motherboard:
      • DFI Lanparty Jr x58-T3H6
      • CPU:
      • Core i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 6 x 2GB ocz Gold
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1gb 4890 vapor-x xfire
      • PSU:
      • xfx 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian-li Pc7
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 X64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2208WFP
      • Internet:
      • 30mb Virgin media

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Britain Report
    The BPI claim P2P
    file-sharing costs the UK music industry £180m pa (2008) while IPSOS gives a
    loss in the UK for TV and films of £152m (2007).
    I like how here they have taken the figures for Pro-IP Groups at face value with out doing any research into there figures.Although they do counterbalance it with this.

A recent study in Scandinavia has shown
    that the biggest users of unlawful peer-to-peer material are also the biggest
    paid-for consumers of music.
    Also they do say that what is really needed is for the music industry is to work to fit there business model into the new market rather than the other way around.

But what i really don't understand is that how they are going implement this

We are therefore setting out
    in this report a clear path to addressing this problem which we believe needs to
    result in a reduction of the order of 70-80% in the incidence of unlawful filesharing.
    who they are going to enforce this i don't know. because to my knowledge no-one has ever Successfully measured the amount of certain types of data on decentralised networks. and even then how are they going Put a £ figure on this.An i can just imagine that lord carter is sat there thinking that there is some sort of switch that isp's can throw to stop file sharing. this is just not the case.
    Last edited by alsenior; 16-06-2009 at 10:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    What kind of emergency would need Windows 95? I think you are already in a bad state of emergency when your backup plan is Windows 95.
    Beginners guide to raid Beginners guide to raid post edition Hexus.Social - FAQ

Thanks

McPhee, Ring up the Citizen's Advice Bureau and tell them what's happening with AOL and what they would suggest given the change in the contract.

The BPI claim P2P file-sharing costs the UK music industry £180m pa (2008) while IPSOS gives a
    loss in the UK for TV and films of £152m (2007)
    I don't think that this is in anyway accurate.
    First, they assume that anyone infringing copyright on music, TV and film would have actually gone out and purchased it if they didn't get it for free.
    Second, according to Hollywood, no film actually makes a profit. Go ask David Prowse how much his percentage profit deal has made him from his Star Wars roles. Hollywood Accounting means that the original Star Wars trilogy supposedly made no money whatsoever.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hollywood_accounting

When we can match South Korea for internet speed penetration, let alone surpass it, then we can start throwing around meaningless soundbites that look good in paper but have no basis in reality. That isn't going to happen unless we lay out a huge amount of money and, given the current financial condition, that's not going to happen for a long time, if ever.

Thanks

DAB radio by 2015 and ceasing analogue???

This is utter lunacy, what about cars? I know many people with new cars, high end cars, that don't have dab radios, my car doesn't have a dab radio and it is a well know fact that DAB + cars really doesn't work all that well.

Someone needs to shoot the person with that idea!

Thanks
    • chrestomanci's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus AMD AM4 Ryzen PRIME B350M
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 1600 @ stock clocks
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 2666MHz
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung 960 Evo M.2 + 3Tb Western Digital Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Basic AMD GPU (OSS linux drivers)
      • PSU:
      • Novatech 500W
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG02
      • Operating System:
      • Linux - Latest Xubuntu
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ 24" LCD (Thanks: DDY)
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Quote Originally Posted by 99Flake View Post
    DAB radio by 2015 and ceasing analogue???

This is utter lunacy, what about cars? I know many people with new cars, high end cars, that don't have dab radios, my car doesn't have a dab radio and it is a well know fact that DAB + cars really doesn't work all that well.
    I am with you there.

I brought a new car about 3 years ago, and at the time I was an avid 6-music listener (Digital only), so I asked at car dealers about getting a digital radio fitted. I just got blank stares, and was then told that the radio receiver was a sensitive one and should pick up all stations just fine.

I have since got myself a Pure Highway in car DAB radio. Even that does not work very well. I sometimes get interference from other users of similar devices, and in some towns it cannot get a good enough signal to work.

I don't think it will be possible to phase out the analogue FM signals any time soon because the situation is not like digital TV. Unlike Televisions, Radios are not bulky, and are often built into other devices (cars, mobile phones, TVs, clocks etc). They are also cheap, which means that a typical household could easily contain dozens. For these two reasons, it is just not practical to ask people to buy any sort of ‘add on box’ like set top boxes for TV, to convert old devices.

Also, the current weak signal problems that freeview is suffering from are in part due to the fact that they share a frequency allocation with analogue TV, so the power is being kept low to prevent interference with analogue. When people complain about weak freeview reception, Ofcom say that it will be better after analogue switch off, and they are probably correct.

DAB uses a completely different frequency allocation at 174 – 240 MHz (formely used by old 405 line TV), so there is no reason not to broadcast on maximum power. This means that weak reception areas will always be weak unless more transmitters are built, which will be expensive.

Finally, I can’t see much point in switching off FM transmissions. I dare say that the government want to make some money by re-selling the band to other commercial users, but I doubt that they will get much for it, as it will never be possible to build mainstream devices using the band, as it will always be in use for FM radio in other parts of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by 99Flake View Post
    Someone needs to shoot the person with that idea!
    To be fair to the government, they where interviewing the minister on the radio last night, and he said that if they don’t manage to convert enough listeners by 2012 they won’t switch off analogue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information