Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Virgin Media routes internet away from users in three hour blackout

Thanks

Re: News - Virgin Media routes internet away from users in three hour blackout

Quote Originally Posted by elvedhel View Post
    you need to get facts straight before you post something hexus
    the correct speeds will be the following
    only 100mb/s users will be upgraded to 120mb/s
    Not anymore according to thinkbroadband. And hexus isnt the only one that's reported so.
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4...ift-plans.html

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

btw to the question about uploads, it definitely will be going up... on virgins website it says

"Upstream speeds and traffic management fair usage amounts will be increased in proportion to the increase in downstream speed."

So yeah i believe it will stick to the 10 : 1 ratio so we are golden... win win situation !
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

Its good news, means they will be dropping the 100/120 meg prices down to 50 meg prices and that means my bill doesnt change.... still means that they have to upgrade the uddingston headend tho lol.

I need to check my work intranet tomorrow to see if this has been updated there, was pretty hectic today and may well have missed it.
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks

Nice to hear of the upgrades, but that doesnt change the fact that my other half was unable to work at home. She knows the reboot drill, and tried that several times during the day - but it was only after 2 reboots when I got home around 10pm that it actually worked at all.

Tried calling the support lines whilst at work - they'd put a note about my postcode on but no time for when the problem was supposed to be solved!

Not happy about it, but its the first whole day outage we've had in 2 yrs.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    btw to the question about uploads, it definitely will be going up... on virgins website it says: "Upstream speeds and traffic management fair usage amounts will be increased in proportion to the increase in downstream speed."
    So yeah i believe it will stick to the 10 : 1 ratio so we are golden... win win situation !
    Doubling of upload speed (because I'm going 30-60) would be excellent.
    Kudos to Scribe for checking with VM wrt the situation for the rich kids on the XXL service - almost makes me want to phone VM back (they were on the phone trying to sell package upgrades yesterday) and see what silly price they'd want for the jump from XL to XXL broadband. Although that's just me being greedy, XL is way faster than I need.
    Quote Originally Posted by iamlorro View Post
    Nice to hear of the upgrades, but that doesnt change the fact that my other half was unable to work at home. She knows the reboot drill, and tried that several times during the day - but it was only after 2 reboots when I got home around 10pm that it actually worked at all. Tried calling the support lines whilst at work - they'd put a note about my postcode on but no time for when the problem was supposed to be solved! Not happy about it, but its the first whole day outage we've had in 2 yrs.
    Last outage we had was shorter, but the "support" person I talked to was basically "something's wrong locally, it'll be back when we can fix it, you ain't on a business plan, so that's all you need to know" - technically correct, but not that helpful.
    Don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but if your SWMBO needs internet connectivity for her job then she really needs to get a "Plan B", I got a PAYG mobile broadband unit from T-Mobile. It'll cost me about £10 a year (because you need to use it every couple of months, otherwise they close the account) but the one I got is a wireless hotspot, (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/shop/mobil...eless-pointer/), so it's very convenient to switch to if VM lets me down - plus it works fine with my combination of Windows, Linux and Android devices.
    Part of my reluctance to do this though is, as you say, that VM's service - generally speaking - has proved quite reliable in the past. Had mine (from BY at the time) since the general service was 256Kbps (just faster than dialup) and in all that time I've had just less than a week's downtime. Wish the office networks were that reliable!

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

I machine things !
    Thanks

"...with BT promising 300Mbps by spring this year..."
    Hilarious! ..and exactly how many homes do you think will get that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information