Thread: News - 'In breach of EU law' - Google's new privacy changes

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - 'In breach of EU law' - Google's new privacy changes

EU Justice Commissioner not happy, whilst Google disagrees.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: News - 'In breach of EU law' - Google's new privacy changes

Thanks for posting that link to Google Dashboard Hexus I hadn't realised that this level of control existed. Heck, I didn't know it was possible to setup alerts for when Google spots your details on it's trawled pages.

I really don't know what to think about this - I like the idea that Google's unifying the various T&C's down to one. On the other hand I'm not so keen that it seems to be that if you give any information to a Google property/service then they've got carte blanche to ship it here, there and everywhere without you having any say. I'd be particularly unhappy if they start shipping that data out of the EU - especially to un-named places in APJ.

On the other hand, I don't agree with the "talking heads" on the news who've been saying that Google's trying to slip this change past the public. All the Google sites I've been on have had a prominent banner that says they're changing the privacy conditions.

End of the day, I guess it's pretty simple to get around - just don't use any of Google's services. E.g. don't use Google Search; Chrome browser; Android phones; etc. Otherwise expect to be tracked and your relevant* details sold to advertisers - sort of a "Big Brother Lite". But who didn't already know that Google did this?

(* but who decides what's "relevant" - I'd like a say in that!)

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post

End of the day, I guess it's pretty simple to get around - just don't use any of Google's services. E.g. don't use Google Search; Chrome browser; Android phones; etc. Otherwise expect to be tracked and your relevant* details sold to advertisers - sort of a "Big Brother Lite". But who didn't already know that Google did this?
    Or, don't use them logged in, at least. And, of course, some you many not be able to use if you aren't.

I've said for some time that I don't trust companies like Google. Or Tesco, or .... well, a long list. Personally, I don't want advertising from these companies, or almost anyone else, at all, but I certainly don't want personalised advertising, and I find the notion of them scanning my email and advertising based on them keeping keyword records utterly obnoxious and objectionable.

Of course, some people may not care, and some may actively want it. Fair enough. Give permission, and give it explicitly.

But personally, I don't believe companies with their opt out, and I don't trust them to not be keeping and analysing data even when they say they aren't. The only strategy that makes any sense to me is to simply avoid giving any company any data that is not absolutely essential, and even then, I do it grudgingly, and very carefully. Nobody can, unfortunately, opt out entirely, but I do everything I can to minimise it, and I will not sign up for any Google service that requires a log-in. I similarly will not now, nor ever, use services like Twitter or Facebook, because I simply do not trust them.

I can't keep the entire genie in the bottle, but I can do my utmost to keep most of him in it, and I do. Store cards are, for me, a no-no, for instance, and for the same reason.

Thanks

Google tracks you. We don't. and Escape your search engine Filter Bubble! seem to be relevant here. I certainly deem Google to be the lesser evil when compared with Microsoft, Apple, and the others, but still, I am just a tiny bit worried.
    Last edited by Zeven; 13-04-2012 at 07:17 PM.

Registered+
    Thanks

I know I'm taking the unpopular side here, but we are not paying for their service. They do need to make a penny by maximizing their ad relevancy. We should keep an eye open, but i would want to see relevant ads on my google search results rather then makeup stuff for example.

What i don't like,is that their bot is reading my mails. I once visited a co-worker, which showed me something on Google (on his computer) just to see that he has medically nature ads which are probably corresponding to personal stuff from his gmail.

that cant be good...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by royi View Post
    I know I'm taking the unpopular side here, but we are not paying for their service. They do need to make a penny by maximizing their ad relevancy. We should keep an eye open, but i would want to see relevant ads on my google search results rather then makeup stuff for example.
    I agree with what you're saying here - especially the bit about relevancy. I don't mind the ads that much, in fact in some cases the choices the bot throw up can be amusing.

For example, I was looking for an office chair the other day, and for some reason the Google ads were for cut price migraine treatments and chiropractic services. Or when I was doing a site search on hp.com and the ads served were all for IBM.

As I said before, I've no problems with changes Google make, just as long as they're clearly notified and there's some way to see what data they've collected. If they also offer some opt-outs, (e.g. "do not share this data outside of Google products and services") then I'm content. As you rightly say, this is the "payment" for all those "free" services that Google offer.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by royi View Post

What i don't like,is that their bot is reading my mails. I once visited a co-worker, which showed me something on Google (on his computer) just to see that he has medically nature ads which are probably corresponding to personal stuff from his gmail.

that cant be good...
    In response to this:

Google says that it requires your opt-in consent for the sharing of any “sensitive personal information,” which it defines as “personal information relating to confidential medical facts, racial or ethnic origins, political or religious beliefs or sexuality.”

And Google is taking pains to point out that it isn’t giving your information to advertisers. Google keeps the information and uses it to place the ads that other companies buy.

Personally i just go through the google dashboard and if i don't want a specific category of data to be shared i untick the box - as crossy said:

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post

(* but who decides what's "relevant" - I'd like a say in that!)

Thread Information