Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Windows phones outsell iPhone during Q1 in China and Russia

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Windows phones outsell iPhone during Q1 in China and Russia

Windows Phone launch in China was only 2 months ago.
    Read more.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: News - Windows phones outsell iPhone during Q1 in China and Russia

More power to them.

I'd like to see both Windows and Android offer strong competition for Apple, and take substantial market share, because nothing will curb monopolistic exploitation batter than serious competition.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Now if Microsoft could just listen to their desktop users who couldn't care less about a touch interface they could make their next operating system a win all round.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Noxvayl View Post
    Now if Microsoft could just listen to their desktop users who couldn't care less about a touch interface they could make their next operating system a win all round.
    A boot to desktop as a default option with a 'switch to metro' button, rather than boot to metro and have to switch to destktop?

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    More power to them.

I'd like to see both Windows and Android offer strong competition for Apple, and take substantial market share, because nothing will curb monopolistic exploitation batter than serious competition.
    http://apebox.org/wordpress/rants/391/

Super Nerd
    Thanks

The vocal online minority and their luddite attitudes do not constitute a fair sample of the general public who all actually seem to like touching their things, thanks to a certain fruity company making it the in-thing with their iStuff. Don't like touch blame Apple, they brought it to the market and forced everyone else to do the same or seem old hat. Including MS, they are trying to catch-up with an OS to compete with iOS and enable Windows devices to compete vs iPad. Get some of that tablet market they invented 10yrs ago!

Windows 8 is all about touch, tablets and "new form factors". Get used to it, the way of the world has been laid out.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    The vocal online minority and their luddite attitudes do not constitute a fair sample of the general public who all actually seem to like touching their things, thanks to a certain fruity company making it the in-thing with their iStuff. Don't like touch blame Apple, they brought it to the market and forced everyone else to do the same or seem old hat. Including MS, they are trying to catch-up with an OS to compete with iOS and enable Windows devices to compete vs iPad. Get some of that tablet market they invented 10yrs ago!

Windows 8 is all about touch, tablets and "new form factors". Get used to it, the way of the world has been laid out.
    Why does a computer that doesn't have a touch screen have to use touch gestures? Most of Microsofts market is in the desktop space where a keyboard and mouse are the only way to communicate with the machine.

Windows 8 for touch devices needs to be differentiated from desktop devices the same way Apple use iOS for their touch devices and OS X for their desktop devices, the two do not go well together.

8. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (19-05-2012)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    The vocal online minority and their luddite attitudes do not constitute a fair sample of the general public who all actually seem to like touching their things, thanks to a certain fruity company making it the in-thing with their iStuff.
    Most of the "general" public who I know who have tried Windows 8 and virtually all the techy people I know who have tried it on a laptop or desktop,don't feel any need to change from Windows 7 as they don't consider Windows 8 in its current form an upgrade. Trying to denigrate people who do have legitimate concerns is hilarious.

Why??

Most desktops are not touch enabled. Not even ANY of Apple's own desktops and laptops are touch enabled ATM. This is why they still use OS X.

Companies make products for us,the consumer, who are spending their hard earned money. If people wish to complain they have every right to because these are private companies who only want to make money out of them.

Remember Vista?? While I did think it was not bad(I still have it on another computer) - plenty of people though it was and complained. I suspect you were one of the people who said the complainers were luddites too.

Guess what - Windows 7 came out and addressed the complaints and Vista OS share has since collapsed. If anything the people complaining online were indicative of the majority. Microsoft has had some of its most profitable years now and that is after listening to complaints and delivering an OS that almost everyone likes.

If people do not complain then companies will pile anything they want on us - feedback is useful. Putting up and shutting up does not help anyone.

At least when Apple does make OS X touch enabled or unify iOS and OS X they will make sure their laptops and desktops will have touchscreens. Moreover they will probably make sure the OS is tuned to both touch and non-touch usage patterns,instead of shoehorning.

That is the difference you fail to realise and Microsoft continually fails to realise too with Windows.

Microsoft has a tendency to shoehorn things like they did with desktops OSes onto touch devices and now tablet OSes onto desktops. There is simply no real need to do it if you see the Windows 8 developer preview where you could switch off parts of the touch optimised interface,and even MS is probably starting to realise they might have made a bad call for desktop users- it is no coincidence that Windows 7 has support extended to 2020. That is even before Windows 8 has been released!!

There is no point going on how it is brilliant when most of the devices Windows 8 will be on won't have touch at launch and probably not for a while after that too. Its like navigating Windows 7 just with a keyboard only. Most of the "general public" would go potty at the thought,although I suspect on technology forums most people probably have no issue using keyboard shortcuts,etc to do stuff.

Apple does not do this. This is why they are successful.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 20-05-2012 at 12:36 PM.

10. Received thanks from:

Noxvayl (18-05-2012),watercooled (19-05-2012)

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Why does a computer that doesn't have a touch screen have to use touch gestures? Most of Microsofts market is in the desktop space where a keyboard and mouse are the only way to communicate with the machine.
    You tell me! Why does Windows 7 have the tablet/touch stuff installed by default on a standard PC build? Why don't OEMS who actually make the hardware remove it when they make the common image for desktops and laptops?

It's just the way the tech illuminati think it should be... touch is the "future" according to Apple, Samsung, whoever makes hardware... the market (and Microsoft as usual following a trend rather than creating it) would like everything to be touch driven. Microsoft need to make an OS that could be used in this touchy future but don't want to segregate like Apple because they want the same looking Windows on all devices, integrated and the same - they think it helps cross-sell and brand recognition presumably.

I agree I don't want to fondle my desktop PC and get fingerprints on my monitor but sadly I think that opinion is destined to be relegated to non-default and we'll have to explicitly start desktop mode. Personally that doesn't bother me that much, it's a minor annoyance really, I mostly like Windows 8 apart from that. Better to try and accommodate new things with all their warts than just get annoyed IMHO.

Most of the "general" public who I know who have tried Windows 8 and virtually all the techy people I know who have tried it on a laptop or desktop,don't feel any need to change from Windows 7 as they don't consider Windows 8 in its current form an upgrade. Trying to denigrate people who do have legitimate concerns is hilarious.
    I'm sorry but 99.9% of the general public have not tried Windows 8, most people have probably never even heard of it. The majority of tech is sold to clueless people in PC World, and that's the mass Microsoft want to buy Windows tablets to use with their Windows everything else, in the same Windows experience. To compete with the shiny shiny from other companies they need a good touch experience - hence Windows 8.

I'm not denigrating, it just seems like a luddite attitude to me - as in an attitude against change or in fear of it, and the attempted remedy that is being used is the modern form of trashing looms - badmouthing things on the internet. I don't think it helps, constructive attempts are good but I really think a lot of non-techie people are quite prepared to touch up their stuff including their desktop and quite like doing so as it's quite intuitive if your not very technical - poking at what you want to do with a finger is a fundamental gesture.

Also remember MS created an OS for touch, if hardware manufacturers put it on something without touch then that's not all MS's fault... There have been touch screen desktops for years, crap with Windows 7 or before and using custom overlays. There will be plenty of touch hardware from PC all-in-ones down through laptops to ultrabooks to tablets.
    Last edited by kingpotnoodle; 18-05-2012 at 07:01 PM.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Double removed.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Amazing how a post about windows phone has turned in to a rant against windows 8.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

14. Received thanks from:

directhex (21-05-2012),Hicks12 (21-05-2012)

Thanks

I am still waiting for Win 8 on tablet.
    Deo Adjuvante non Timendum

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Wrong thread.

Thanks
    • Zak33's system
      • Storage:
      • Kingston HyperX SSD, Hitachi 1Tb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia 1050
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster 800w
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT01
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTC uber speedy

So.. what kingpotnoodle is saying.. I think.. is that the great unwashed masses .. ie the punters.. not us here in tech land...will prolly gag for touch screens.

However.. I am a luddite in his world because one thing I HATE.. is people touching my screen. I HATE finger prints on my LCD's.

I am also a Luddite because I'd kill them for it .. or maybe.. hang, draw, and quarter them

Quote Originally Posted by Advice Trinity by Knoxville
    "The second you aren't paying attention to the tool you're using, it will take your fingers from you. It does not know sympathy." |
    "If you don't gaffer it, it will gaffer you" | "Belt and braces"

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Nvm.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 21-05-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Cat, it's not that I don't love you, but wrong thread!

This is about the phone running 7.5... Not the UI decisions of Windows 8. Most of these comments are completely irrelevent as most roumers have it that on appollo desktop is disabled.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information