Account closed at user request
    Thanks
    • wasabi's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B85M-G43
      • CPU:
      • i3-4130
      • Memory:
      • 8 gig DDR3 Crucial Rendition 1333 - cheap!
      • Storage:
      • 128 gig Agility 3, 240GB Corsair Force 3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac GTX 750Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silver Power SP-S460FL
      • Case:
      • Lian Li T60 testbanch
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • First F301GD Live
      • Internet:
      • Virgin cable 100 meg

Re: News - Judge dismayed by Apple’s begrudging apology to Samsung

Quote Originally Posted by Bambooz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spoon_ View Post
    Website has been updated, its down the bottom on main page now:
    Yep.. and there's the next reason for the judge to be pissed at apple
    They're using javascript to make the footer on the main page (apple.com/uk) always be out of plain sight, no matter what screen resolution you're on. You have to scroll down or you won't see it.

http://i.imgur.com/KH555.jpg

^ That screenshot explanation thingy is from yesterday. As of today, they're doing the resizing on all sites (US/AU/NZ/DK/DE/FR/NL .. you get the idea) instead of just the UK one.
    Pathetic is hardly the word..
    Although I can't see the text without scrolling on my 22 inch monitor, I'm not seeing any suspicious javascript. Cut and paste of the bottom html of the homepage below - i.e. it isn't forked off into any .js

<p class="statement">On 25 October 2012, Apple Inc. published a statement on its UK website in relation to Samsung's Galaxy tablet computers. <span class="nowrap">That statement </span>was inaccurate and did not comply with the order of the Court of Appeal of England and Wales. <span class="nowrap">The correct statement is at <a href="/uk/legal-judgement/" target="_blank">Samsung/Apple UK judgement</a></span>.</p>
    </footer><!--/homefooter-->

</div><!--/main-->
    </body>
    </html>

Now I'm no web designer, that looks like vanilla html. While I dislike Apple more than most (I did mac support for 3 years) , schadenfreude-filled comments like a lot of those above worryme about how tribal some technology users have become.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    While I dislike Apple more than most (I did mac support for 3 years) , schadenfreude-filled comments like a lot of those above worryme about how tribal some technology users have become.
    True, but then again while some begrudge them their success (always happens), others may be less than impressed with the underhanded legal bully boy tactics. I'm in the latter group.

As I said I wouldn't count myself as a iFan, but (a) I was VERY impressed with the way they dealt with the Nano of mine that went AWOL when sent for repair; (b) was looking at a new Nano this afternoon and it's pretty neat - reminds me why Apple were/are such a force.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wasabi View Post
    While I dislike Apple more than most (I did mac support for 3 years) , schadenfreude-filled comments like a lot of those above worryme about how tribal some technology users have become.
    Not entirely fair. My main problem is the contempt Apple appear to be showing a legal system that hasn't found in their favour while they continue numerous actions in other courts.

When I spend my money on technology, I want it to go to designers, engineers.. ideas people. I don't want it to go to leech lawyers. Litigation is not a valid revenue stream.

5. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (05-11-2012)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    was looking at a new Nano this afternoon and it's pretty neat - reminds me why Apple were/are such a force.
    The Nano is pretty special. I reckon it's really the only distinctive thing they make right now and it isn't stupidly expensive. I owned an iPhone - the first one. It was brilliant, technically, though it's design was a bit too 'designed' for me. It was the only good smartphone at the time. These days? The current iPhone is nothing special.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pauleden View Post
    When I spend my money on technology, I want it to go to designers, engineers.. ideas people. I don't want it to go to leech lawyers. Litigation is not a valid revenue stream.
    I'm pretty certain that Apple paid out more than $4bn to developers so far... Can't find the exact figure though so don't quote me on that.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by spoon_ View Post
    I'm pretty certain that Apple paid out more than $4bn to developers so far... Can't find the exact figure though so don't quote me on that.
    According to their previous annual report, Apple spent $2.4 billion on R&D (up quite a bit from B.J. (Before Jobs)). Of course only a smallish fraction of that would be actual developer salaries. I couldn't tell you the size of that share since they don't break down R&D spending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by Bambooz View Post
    Yep.. and there's the next reason for the judge to be pissed at apple
    They're using javascript to make the footer on the main page (apple.com/uk) always be out of plain sight, no matter what screen resolution you're on. You have to scroll down or you won't see it.

http://i.imgur.com/KH555.jpg

^ That screenshot explanation thingy is from yesterday. As of today, they're doing the resizing on all sites (US/AU/NZ/DK/DE/FR/NL .. you get the idea) instead of just the UK one.
    Pathetic is hardly the word..
    Well there's a bit of that going on - the image expands a little as the screen res increases - but the footer is visible at resolutions above 1200 vertical using IE.

Thanks

They know that they are unlikely to be tempting new consumers into the Apple fold. The buyers of the iPhone5, iPad3 and the mini iPad are almost exclusively existing Apple customers, usually with more money than sense.
    Opinion stated as fact? Or do you have any source for that?

Sure it is a far assumption in the case of the tablets, since there is convenience in staying in the same ecosystem. Quite sensible for many to stick on the platform one has invested in, I expect the same pattern for Android users.

As for the iPhone5, it sounds more like wishful thinking. Each generation of iPhones have sold more than the previous. A lot more. Far more than can be attributed to people sitting out a generation and upgrading that year. Far from attributed to "almost exclusively existing Apple user". The iPhone 5 likewise has had stronger sales than the 4S, so unless the iPhone 5 sales figure end up U-turning next year, there is no reason to think that the iPhone5 won't once again significantly increase sales over it's predecessor. To me it sounds absurd that any company doesn't want new customers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooNice View Post

Sure it is a far assumption in the case of the tablets, since there is convenience in staying in the same ecosystem.
    Perhaps. Hasn't the connector changed in each iteration.

Thanks

This is just comedy gold. Many thanks to the judge for a refreshing, much needed view on Apple's sue happy behaviour, and many thanks to Apple for being the silly billy that they are. Great stuff!

Thanks
    • Bambooz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix X470-F
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700X + AnfiTec Drei
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (E-Die) DDR4-3200 @ 3600
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM961 (= 960 Pro) 512GB NVMe (OS) + 2TB Micron 1300 (games) + 2x 8TB WD Red (cold storage)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI Geforce GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB (under EK Fullcover block)
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Platinum Fanless 520W (SS-520FL2)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Arc XL
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 LTSC 2019
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung S27D850T (27" 1440p) + 2x Samsung 2333T (23" 1080p)
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 100/40mbps

Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    Well there's a bit of that going on - the image expands a little as the screen res increases - but the footer is visible at resolutions above 1200 vertical using IE.
    They may have changed that by now, or it behaves different in other browsers or something.
    Back when I posted that, you still had to scroll down on a 2560x1440 screen.. pretty ridiculous
    http://i.imgur.com/qfr3J.jpg

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Screen Resolution on the web March 2012:

http://tctechcrunch2011.files.wordpr...al-stats-1.jpg

Most common is 1366 x 768

People on this forum are probably used to using much higher resolutions, but the average user is often stuck on much lower resolutions than we imagine.

Thanks

Perhaps. Hasn't the connector changed in each iteration.
    Has there been any other connector than the old one and the lightening? I don't have an iPad but I given the outcry over the Lightening connector on the iPhone 5, I would've expected to hear about it everywhere if it was a new connector each time.

But let's not forget the application aspect. You can use your iOS app on your iDevices, Android apps on your Android devices etc. Well, mostly. Obviously not all applications are optimised for the larger screens, and AFAIK there are some applications that are only on tablets. Then again, AFAIK, it's even more fragmented in the Android side of things.

It also saves from the need to look for and getting used to alternatives. People like to use the term "more money than sense", but I know many who are more fittingly "more money than time" or "more money than interest".

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

as an android user who has had to buy individual accessories for every phone, i have found the whole connector outcry pretty stupid.

They had to change it eventually as the old connector was huge and pretty unwieldy for what it did. I think apple did their fanbase a massive favour keeping it the way it was for so long.
    The only thing i think is really stupid is the fact they didnt move to micro USB and accept the fact that smartphones are smartphones and by moving to a universal platform you dont just please the customers, you also please any environmental bods, ahere to universal standards and make your life easier in so many other ways.

If their connector was actually better in some way i could possibly understand it... but its not, its just the same (in principle) with a bitter apple twist

Thanks

Pardon me for disturbing a nest of 100% Apple-haters. I regret spoiling your unanimity with a little realism about the court system. "Pay no attention to that little man behind the curtain." -- or robe or under the wig. In America, we respect the office but not necessarily all the office-holders. Some are merely pompous poseurs.

Now you can go back to your unanimous bashing session. Guess I did you a favor - now, for variety, you had me to bash too!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information