Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Apple sells three million iPads over the weekend

Thanks

Re: News - Apple sells three million iPads over the weekend

Quote Originally Posted by mallett View Post
    Also how come here they lump the the iPad mini and the new new iPad together in one sales figure when I don't recall them doing this before?

Just a thought...
    Erm.... because there wasn't an iPad mini before ?

They're just counting iPad sales, they just have two sizes now.

I wouldn't say it was 3 million people making uneducated purchases just because they're iSheep (although obviously some are), the rumours of the iPad mini being imminent have been around all year. I'm sure there were lots of people who were wanting and intending to buy an iPad and after finding out about the mini decided to wait until the form factor they wanted was released. Sounds like an educated decision to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Mock Turtle
    “Reeling and Writhing, of course, to begin with, and then the different branches of arithmetic -- Ambition, Distraction, Uglification, and Derision."
    System:Atari 2600 CPU:8-bit 6507 (1.19MHz) RAM:128 bytes Colours: 16 (4 on screen) Resolution: 192x160

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

I'm wondering how many of these 3 million sales are actually people returning the 'old' new iPad for the new new iPad and aren't actually new sales at all?
    Unless some store is running a trade in (like the one that HMV are running on the iPod's) then I'd suspect taht there'll be very few folks returning the older model. Probably better to check eBay for signs of a load of the "old" ones being sold second-hand.
    Also how come here they lump the the iPad mini and the new new iPad together in one sales figure when I don't recall them doing this before?
    Hmm, I would have been curious to find out the split between 10" and 8" device - and no, not because if the 8" was very popular then that'd proved the late Mr Jobs wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by miniyazz View Post
    I didn't hear you say that when the S3 was released, which was just an evolution of the S2, with software improvements akin to the iphone 4S vs the 4.
    I'm not sure that the comment above holds up to scrutiny - sure it's not the wheel or fire (or even the mobile phone), but to state that the S3 is merely akin to "S2S" is doing Samsung's design team a disservice. Apologies on the other hand if I've picked your meaning wrong.

3M iPads is a good amount by anyone's metrics - well done. On the other hand I truly hope that this doesn't equate to an increase in Apple's share of the tablet market, since their current level is arguably not good for the consumer as it is.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

A. Nother
    Thanks
    • mallett's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3
      • CPU:
      • Intel E6300
      • Memory:
      • 4GB Corsair 800 DHX
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samy & 2x 250GB Hitatichi RAID 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX 7600GT XXX
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic S12 - 430W
      • Case:
      • Antec SOLO
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama 19" LCD

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Unless some store is running a trade in (like the one that HMV are running on the iPod's) then I'd suspect taht there'll be very few folks returning the older model. Probably better to check eBay for signs of a load of the "old" ones being sold second-hand.
    I read somewhere that Apple stores were taking a trade in on recently bought iPads, can't remember where I saw it but ZDNet seem to have the same story. And a quick google for iPad trade ins shows a massive jump in typical trade in traffic, especially for the iPad 3.

Hmm, I would have been curious to find out the split between 10" and 8" device - and no, not because if the 8" was very popular then that'd proved the late Mr Jobs wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Probably because they appreciate that people are unlikely to purchase both the iPad Mini and the iPad. By combining the purchases, it prevents a journalist from taking the iPad figures and suggesting that it has become less popular.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barakka View Post
    They're just counting iPad sales, they just have two sizes now.
    As crossy said, I'd be curious to see the split between the numbers, not to say that one form is clearly better then the other, just to be nosey.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

I'm not sure that the comment above holds up to scrutiny - sure it's not the wheel or fire (or even the mobile phone), but to state that the S3 is merely akin to "S2S" is doing Samsung's design team a disservice. Apologies on the other hand if I've picked your meaning wrong.
    Well, you're right, there are a few more differences than just software here. I suppose a better comparison would have been iphone 4S to 5.. but really my point was that Apple aren't doing anything particularly unique in their evolutionary design strategy.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

I read somewhere that Apple stores were taking a trade in on recently bought iPads, can't remember where I saw it but ZDNet seem to have the same story. And a quick google for iPad trade ins shows a massive jump in typical trade in traffic, especially for the iPad 3.

As crossy said, I'd be curious to see the split between the numbers, not to say that one form is clearly better then the other, just to be nosey.
    the ipad upgrade thing is to cover people who recently bought an ipad, unknowing there was a refresh afew weeks away. It only counts if you got your device within a month of the new one coming out.

Fair play to apple for providing the service, Its a great offer! Dont pretend its more than it is though.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Well, I added to their numbers as I ordered an iPad mini at the weekend.

I really wasn't going to get one - never owned an iPad before, always too big/heavy/expensive pointless..I was angered by the £269 price (+ £35 for the cover), and the lack of retina display.

I already own an Android tablet and a Playbook, and have owned a touchpad..and my phone is a windows phone. Definitely not an Apple zealot these days.

Then someone @ work picked on up last friday and brought it in - I picked it up and immediately wanted one. He has a nexus 7 too which was great as a comparison..but there is simply nothing to compare. You pickup the nexus 7 and it's very much.."meh this is nice", but then you pick up the iPad mini and it really does give that wow moment. Feels so much thinner/lighter/more substantial. I appreciate that this is all opinion and very subjective, but that is my opinion

Add to that the fact it has the lions share of tablet centric applications (that much is fact rather than opinion!) and it's definitely worth the extra £269 to me.

Plus the fact that morally Apple are not undercutting and stifling the OEM market like Google are with their Nexus range - right now ANY 7" tablet over £199 is "overpriced" and "Crazy expensive"..just because Google are making no money on their hardware as they know they make it back via your use of Google services.

Apples morals might not be the strongest, but Google are just as bad.

Regardless though, I am happy with my mini, and I will likely sell this for £200 next year and buy a mini HD..I am not a sheep, I simply enjoy good technology and don't fit in with the camp that think it's cool to hate a company that is successful.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Percy1983 View Post
    More a reflection on how tech savvy most of us are.

The point is Apple will use the money to try and stop others rather than improving there own products.

Meanwhile we can buy better and cheaper products to which the money will help make future products better and cheaper.
    Just because someone buys a product from company A or company B doesn't mean they haven't looked at the alternatives and made a sensible decision for their needs. Stop spouting nonsense about iSheep etc it says a lot more about you as a person than I think you realise....

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post

Then someone @ work picked on up last friday and brought it in - I picked it up and immediately wanted one. He has a nexus 7 too which was great as a comparison..but there is simply nothing to compare. You pickup the nexus 7 and it's very much.."meh this is nice", but then you pick up the iPad mini and it really does give that wow moment. Feels so much thinner/lighter/more substantial. I appreciate that this is all opinion and very subjective, but that is my opinion

Regardless though, I am happy with my mini, and I will likely sell this for £200 next year and buy a mini HD..I am not a sheep, I simply enjoy good technology and don't fit in with the camp that think it's cool to hate a company that is successful.
    I can't agree more, this is exactly my impression of the mini and plan for a year down the road. I love the nexus, but it's not close to the iPad in the real world use for my needs. I won't be getting rid of my nexus, as it's still a cracking device. My wife and kids will get to use it instead. I'd far rather they break that than my ipad mini

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

I will be buying an iPad for the wife, not because I want to, but because it is the only thing that does the job she needs it for (as I have discussed in several threads already on here). As much as it pains me, no other tablet has the apps needed.

Apple is well aware of this particular need, have you noticed how their recent adverts have focussed on music creation or production? That is a market the iPad has completely sewn up.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    I think the inference is that they are not making educated purchases, instead they are jumping on the newest bandwagon, which is pretty pathetic but typical of modern society.
    I doubt that there is any inference at all, given the lack of substance in the robotic allegations. At best, it's just jumping the Apple hating bandwagon believing himself "more savvy" in doing so (the irony is that it's the sort of conceited elitism that Apple users are frequently accused of). At worse, it's trolling, plain and simple.

Besides, with far more Android devices being sold, and the S3 having sold over 30M, I doubt that each one is sold to an "educated" users.

While I don't think that bandwagon hopping is a behaviour to emulate, I don't think that it's worse than any other vices or non-productive hobby where a person is spending their own money. What's the problem if they can afford it? Perhaps we just set the bar differently as to what we consider pathetic, but I rather not see the world as 90% pathetic (bit too depressing). Yet I can think of many worse vices than finding contentment in buying a shiny even IF it's to show off/copy others/fit in.

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

http://www.techradar.com/news/mobile...-tests-1110550

It does make me wonder if the iPad2 has a better screen??

Edit!!

It does appear to be. Also,it appears the iPad Mini 2 will have a higher resolution panel too.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 07-11-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Thanks
    • j.o.s.h.1408's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS P6T Delux
      • CPU:
      • Intel core i7 920 @ 3ghz
      • Memory:
      • 3GB DDR RAM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung F1, 500GB Seagate baracuda + 320gb Seagate PATA +150GB WD PATA
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 480GTX SC edition
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12 600W Module PSU FTW
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A7010B (the rolls royce of pc cases)
      • Operating System:
      • vista ultimate edition and windows xp
      • Monitor(s):
      • 22inch 2005FPW dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • 24mb BE There Broadband
    Quote Originally Posted by Funkstar View Post
    I will be buying an iPad for the wife, not because I want to, but because it is the only thing that does the job she needs it for (as I have discussed in several threads already on here). As much as it pains me, no other tablet has the apps needed.

Apple is well aware of this particular need, have you noticed how their recent adverts have focussed on music creation or production? That is a market the iPad has completely sewn up.
    I dont think any music producers will use a ipad to make music lol

Does he need a reason? Funkstar's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Funkstar's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte EG45M-DS2H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core2Quad Q9550 (2.83GHz)
      • Memory:
      • 8GB OCZ PC2-6400C5 800MHz Quad Channel
      • Storage:
      • 650GB Western Digital Caviar Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 512MB ATI Radeon HD4550
      • PSU:
      • Antec 350W 80+ Efficient PSU
      • Case:
      • Antec NSK1480 Slim Mini Desktop Case
      • Operating System:
      • Vista Ultimate 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 + 2408 monitors
      • Internet:
      • Zen 8mb

Quote Originally Posted by j.o.s.h.1408 View Post
    I dont think any music producers will use a ipad to make music lol
    Well I know of quite a few musicians that use them while on the road. This is full time musicians, a couple of music teachers, session musicians and non-professionals alike.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information