Thread: News - PayPal cuts off Usenet providers, freezing their accounts

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - PayPal cuts off Usenet providers, freezing their accounts

Many large Usenet providers can no longer accept PayPal payments.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • KrisWragg's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock X370 Taichi
      • CPU:
      • AMD 1700X @ 3.7Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 500GB 950 Evo + 500GB 850 Evo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • R9 290 @ 1.1Ghz
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Platinum 660W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell U2713HM
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 78mbit down / 20mbit up

Re: News - PayPal cuts off Usenet providers, freezing their accounts

The whole ebay/paypal counterfeit thing is mental, my mum bought something that said it was shipped from UK and legit. It was actually fake and shipped from China.

Paypal would only refund if she sent it tracked back to the sender, in China, which was about £50 so almost the price of the item she bought, although somehow they shipped it from China to UK non tracked for about £5.

Paypal are really starting to suck, as too are Ebay!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ScoTTisH-GingeR's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Mpower Z77
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K @ 4.6Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x4GB DDR3 2666MHZ
      • Storage:
      • SanDisk SDSSDX240GG25 240GB, Other platter hard drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 680
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster GX Lite 750watt
      • Case:
      • NZXT Phantom 820
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate

So they have been happy taking a cut from the profits of these bad evil Usenet providers for years but now its in the public eye that they are up in arms about it roll on bit coins then cause thats what most websites deemed as bad seem to use now.

Thanks

On a related note, I’ve known friends and family who accidentally bought pirated/counterfeit goods on eBay, they then have to go through a long dispute process just to get money back, minus return postage fees. I don’t know of any further outcome from these problems other than the buyer eventually getting money back. It seems like neither the counterfeit seller nor eBay get punished.

Just proves what a joke the whole piracy thing is. You catch a supplier of pirated goods red handed on a major site and it's you that has to suffer, what happens to the pirate?? Oh he's probably chilling in a mansion somewhere laughing his bum off.

Thanks
    • 1stRaven's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus VIII Hero
      • CPU:
      • I7 6700K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb Corsair DDR4 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 250Gb Samsung Evo 850 M.2, 2 x Samsung EVO 850 500Gb, Seagate 3tb HDD, 24Tb Unraid Server
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x PNY GTX 1080 FE
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Be-Quiet Dark Pro 900 Silver
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 22" and 1 x Dell U2913WM
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 150Mb

Seems like this is just more pressure from various organisations in order to try and shut down the service.

Thanks

this is weird, as most companies are there to make a profit, and that type of piracy has little to no impact on their main or subsiduary businesses, they aren't forced to do this by law, so why restrict profits by doing this?

then when you consider the number 1 place in the entire world to buy somethink fake or pirate is ebay it makes even less sense. then when you hear of the lack of action ebay take to address fake and pirate stuff being sold it makes even less sense

i know people who have issues with a few ebay pirates and one known one in particular, but ebay haven't stopped them from selling pirate stuff repeatedly and consistently even though their sales are reported. so perhaps they should start by fixing their own piracy policies before getting involved with anyone elses

btw, i thought sending fake goods was illegal, thus if you were sent fakes you got a refund and was told to destroy the fake as it wouldn't be lawful to send it back. i thought that was ebays policy

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post
    ...ebay haven't stopped them from selling pirate stuff repeatedly and consistently even though their sales are reported. so perhaps they should start by fixing their own piracy policies before getting involved with anyone elses

btw, i thought sending fake goods was illegal, thus if you were sent fakes you got a refund and was told to destroy the fake as it wouldn't be lawful to send it back. i thought that was ebays policy
    Ebay doesn't care about piracy at all. Not one sausage. Not even a cocktail weenie. It only cares about money and 'appearing' legit. It's just one monstrous consumerism trap with idi0ts buying merchandise far over actual retail cost because they think ebay is an auction house. Ebay is a reseller hub that generally uses auctions to hike prices above retail.

I stopped using it a while ago and use forums to buy/trade or sell. Most forums have far higher ethics than ebay about piracy.

General ebay rule - don't buy from Asia and if it seems like it's too good to be true - it 99% is.

And let's all remember ebay bought Paypal years back to make an absolute killing. You sell anything now and it's generally a straight 13.4% fee.

Bah - let it rot.

Thanks

Paypal have been unscrupulous from the start and I've never heard of a business that became more honest with success.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

So paypal are hoping to kill usenet? One of the very first parts of the internet that has been in use since 1980!
    Last edited by shaithis; 23-11-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by the54thvoid View Post
    Ebay doesn't care about piracy at all. Not one sausage. Not even a cocktail weenie. It only cares about money and 'appearing' legit. It's just one monstrous consumerism trap with idi0ts buying merchandise far over actual retail cost because they think ebay is an auction house. Ebay is a reseller hub that generally uses auctions to hike prices above retail.

I stopped using it a while ago and use forums to buy/trade or sell. Most forums have far higher ethics than ebay about piracy.

General ebay rule - don't buy from Asia and if it seems like it's too good to be true - it 99% is.

And let's all remember ebay bought Paypal years back to make an absolute killing. You sell anything now and it's generally a straight 13.4% fee.

Bah - let it rot.
    i'm not trying to disagree with you but if ebay own paypal and they don't care about piracy then why this? they don't need to do this to appear legit

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    So paypal are hoping to kill usenet? One of the very first parts of the internet that has been in use since 1980!
    Usenet wont care, they'll work around it, probably use bitcoins or something. It'd be far better for customer and provider alike if they do anyway, both in depriving paypal of transaction revenue and their own security.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Long Time Lurker
    Thanks

paypal need regulating like a real bank. there is far too much "haha we have your money **** you" on their side. I never keep money in my paypal anymore after being stung by them. There system is designed around basically punishing you for trusting anyone. Ebay are a joke too if there is issues. Good luck getting money back if its fraudulant/fake.

Thanks

I always go and pick up items now from ebay, and pay cash as I can see what it's like etc.
    My lovely ex-wife, may she rot in hell sold a load of my gear on ebay and they weren't interested and neither were the police as it's a civil matter. Anyway, I digress, Paypal has been a nasty company for as long as I can remember
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

OilSheikh

Nice increase in revenue for Paypal then from these seized assets ?

Thanks

Security firms want paypal to be a 'copyright cop' but 'dirty cop' seems to describe them more accurately. Freezing accounts for business that has legitemate business practices because a minority are abusing the service is unacceptable, and they are gladly making interest over the frozen funds.

They are using the pretense of acting against piracy to glaze over how corrupt their own business really is, when you consider all of the stolen or fake items on ebay and all of the scams paypal is used for, but I guess earning that kind of reputation is the ideal thing to cover them up.

I don't use usenet or services like it, so I do not know the details, but I just don't see someone who goes through the hastle of pirating software rather then waiting for it to go on sale if they can't afford it to pay for it; to pay monthly for a service like Usenet unless they require it for something else.

Technojunkie
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Usenet may have been the original discussion forum long before forums as we know them existed,
    but it has long since degenerated into a source of piracy.

And far from "hosting links" in the way torrent sites do, usenet providers do actually store the pirated content on their servers.
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

Thread Information