• cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Re: News - EA will build microtransactions into all its games

Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    The thing that frustrates me about EA's policy is that they have no long-term plan with DLC.

I bought Mass Effect 2 and Dragon Age for very low prices on Steam, maybe £3-5 each or something, a very long time after they were released. I find out that there's some DLC, and log on to the shop and it says £20 for all of the DLC.

So they expect me to pay 4 times the retail price of the game for the DLC? No, actually I'll pass.

I'm sure some people will claim that I'm exactly the type of person driving this sort of activity, because I've bought the game for just £3 or whatever, and they need to recoup their costs. Fair enough. But the DLC needs to come down in price as well. If they'd wanted £1 per pack, I'd probably have done it. When it's released, fair enough, but 3, 4 years down the line, you cannot charge several times what the game costs for DLC. Well, you can, but I won't buy it.

Look at Bethesda for instance. They release Fallout 3, and then a bunch of DLC. If you want, you can buy each one individually. But now it's available as a GotY edition, with everything bundled together. Yep, I'll buy that. As for Mass Effect's DLC (ME2 is one of my favourite games of all time), well EA - I would absolutely jump at that, I would love to play it. And so far, you've extracted precisely £0 from me. Good work.
    This. I've skipped the ME2 DLC for this very reason. An extra level or two in a game shouldn't cost a third of game RRP in the first place but to leave it like that = No sale.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
    I'm pretty close to uninstalling The Simpsons Tapped Out from my Nexus because of the 'pay for stuff to progress' mentality. Guess who the software house is? EA...

£35 for 900 donuts. I can see that £70 was easy to spend...
    Yep, "pay to progress" is quite annoying in mobiles, in those cases I look for [deleted]

Mod edit: please don't post piracy advice on the forums
    Last edited by jim; 02-03-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

*shrugs* Anyone with any sense will continue to assess the game they get out of the box/the other side of the link and judge the value accordingly - EA will be relying on it in fact. I don't think there's going to be a sudden down-turn in consumer intelligence so I don't think there's any cause for alarm.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Sorry - this post turned into a bit of a rant - but i'm going to post this anyway as I suspect the vast majority of people will agree with me. It's not meant to be inflammatory
    EA's justification that "gamers clearly love FTP/micro transactions" is complete rubbish and totally baseless - of course they will be seeing immense profits/sales from this channel - gamers are not given the choice!

If you gave gamers two choices:

1) Pay £40 for a game with all content included
    2) Pay nothing for the base game but pay £80 for all the content over a year

I would wager that the vast majority of players will plump for option 1.

EA have long been the target of abuse from the gaming community and unfortunately for them, it's consistently for the right reasons. Gone are the days of EA being one of the premier gaming companies - in recent years they have spent their money buying up a whole bunch of good (and struggling) studios and completely destroying their franchises. DICE, Westwood (oh how I miss their games..), Bullfrog (we *need* DK III ), Maxis, Pandemic...the list goes on.

*grumble* maybe I am just getting old now and I am out of touch with reality!
    No sir, you are neither ranting nor out of touch with reality. Quite the converse I would suggest.

Who are saying that FTP+uTransactions are the popular way? Answer - the games houses. I have seen NO independent studies saying this to be the case, and the games houses have great incentive to use MiniTrue methods to get this out there.

Remember also that the idea of pay-to-play has been seriously mooted - namely if you want to play BF4/COD:BO3 etc then you have to put money in a "play meter". Not only for online play (which is perhaps justifiable since MP needs servers and other infrastructure which costs money to run) but also for single/offline play - which is just pure profit.

I myself have come across tablet games that are paid for, have adverts AND uPayments - that's not justifiable under any terms, other than pure unadulterated greed.

At the end of the day though, WE the buying public have a choice - if we don't approve of such invidious practices then we need to vote with our wallets/chequebooks and stop buying these products. Otherwise, we stop being consumers and become addicts - dependant on the capricious whims of our dealer of choice, whether that be EA, Activision, Ubisoft, or whomever.

Like most, I'm content with the idea of uPayments for optional items, or to spend money to skip the time needed to level up (the latter within reason of course). However, when you have to uPay for stuff needed to go through a paid-for game, I start to be suspicious and dismayed. So, taking BF4 as example, uPay for uniforms or tweaked weapons (say an AK with a grenade launcher) or map packs is fine. On the other hand if you get your copy of BF4 copy with only a pistol and have to uPay everything else, then they're NOT going to get a pre-order from me.

Grumpy old geezer ... and proud of it!

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Quote Originally Posted by ForsakenNGL View Post
    Yep, "pay to progress" is quite annoying in mobiles, in those cases I look for the Mod version with free shopping (Get that one for Simpsons btw).
    Do what now?

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    and the games houses have great incentive to use MiniTrue methods to get this out there.
    doubleplusgood 1984 reference

Thanks

Does that mean we will spend 10 Euros per game and we will have to buy the rest of the things (items/weapons/etc)? I'd like that... But something tells me that the prices will not change..

Registered+
    Thanks

I hate the way EA operates, shoe horning their money grabbing ways onto gamers. Origin was forced upon us now this:
    "pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level, to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun "

So now instead of the satisfaction of earning something in the game i simply fork out money instead?
    To buy Dead Space 3 in its entirety outright on origin is nearly £65.... nah i'll just buy Tombraider off steam for £27 instead, probably a better game anyway.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by addz17 View Post
    I hate the way EA operates, shoe horning their money grabbing ways onto gamers. Origin was forced upon us now this:
    "pay for things along the way, either to get to a higher level, to buy a new character, to buy a truck, a gun "

So now instead of the satisfaction of earning something in the game i simply fork out money instead?
    To buy Dead Space 3 in its entirety outright on origin is nearly £65.... nah i'll just buy Tombraider off steam for £27 instead, probably a better game anyway.
    Do you like Valve? I guess so seeing as you want to buy TR from Steam. Ironic that EA seem to be just following Valve in these measures - requirement to use origin/steam, microtransactions/steam hat store..

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Imagine applying this philosophy to other things in life.

New blockbuster film out on DVD - buy it now, only £9.99. Ok I'll buy that, looks good. Get home, pop it in the DVD player. Watch an hour when all of a sudden the movie stops and a message comes up. If you want to find out what happens pay £30.

It's a rip off and a way to screw as much money from the gamer as possible.

Secondly I play games for entertainment and a challenge. What's the point if the only way to complete the game is through paying more money?
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

11. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Those that want to pay for a scarf for their character should be able to buy a lite or get a free version of the game, so that they can customise it their way. Those that dont want all that rubbish should be able to buy a full version of the game that does not disadvantage them from other players.
    Some DLC is ok, such as BF3 Premium but I saw that as an Addon like Special Forces or Euro Force for BF2. On release was really expensive but its fallen a lot now, and you do get quite a lot more game.
    If I had to put real money in to buying a new gun or kit or similar I would turn away much like I did with Battlefield F2P and Heros.

Thanks
    • Terbinator's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock H61M
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon 1230-V3
      • Memory:
      • Geil Evo Corsa 2133/8GB
      • Storage:
      • M4 128GB, 2TB WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX Titan
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760i
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster 130
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell Ultrasharp U2711H
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 60Mb.

Quote Originally Posted by Spud1 View Post
    Snip...
    I can appreciate where you're coming from but its the implementation that makes "it work" - F2P games are no more the cancer, bane or anything else as much as a bad game/franchise in general is. You say yourself it has to be perfect for it to work, but TF2 and LoL are getting it right and its showing, the latter of which easily dukes it as 'the worlds most popular game'.

Admittedly, i only played TF2 post-F2P, but i've never felt out-gunned or out-spent on it; likewise for LoL.
    Kalniel: "Nice review Tarinder - would it be possible to get a picture of the case when the components are installed (with the side off obviously)?"
    CAT-THE-FIFTH: "The Antec 300 is a case which has an understated and clean appearance which many people like. Not everyone is into e-peen looking computers which look like a cross between the imagination of a hyperactive 10 year old and a Frog."
    TKPeters: "Off to AVForum better Deal - £20+Vat for Free Shipping @ Scan"
    for all intents it seems to be the same card minus some gays name on it and a shielded cover ? with OEM added to it - GoNz0.

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

If consumers don't begin to make informed choices about what they buy, whether that pertains to games or anything else, then disasters like Aliens: Colonial Marines and free to play games with ridiculous in-game transactions will become more common. TotalBiscuit goes into more detail with his rant about pre-ordering games which I agree with. We need to stop thinking of publishers as acting without reason, the choices they make are based on the data they collect and if we are positively reinforcing bad content being produced by not being careful enough with the money we spend then we are partially to blame. We don't have control over what developers or publishers decide but we do have control over the money we spend and we need to start using the control we do have to reward or punish developers based on how they meet our needs. Clearly free to play is a contentious issue and if publishers and/or developers get it wrong stop yourself from giving them any money, it is the only way we can let them know they are not doing a good enough job.

15. Received thanks from:

crossy (04-03-2013)

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by iranu View Post
    Imagine applying this philosophy to other things in life.

New blockbuster film out on DVD - buy it now, only £9.99. Ok I'll buy that, looks good. Get home, pop it in the DVD player. Watch an hour when all of a sudden the movie stops and a message comes up. If you want to find out what happens pay £30.

It's a rip off and a way to screw as much money from the gamer as possible.

Secondly I play games for entertainment and a challenge. What's the point if the only way to complete the game is through paying more money?
    That's only a problem if they mis-sell you the game in the first place. Which we are fully protected against with our trade acts. If they advertise a film then they have to provide the film. Conversely if you buy the first series you don't have a right to all the subsequent series' for free.

Thanks
    • Spud1's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GSkill Trident Z
      • Storage:
      • Lots.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX3090
      • PSU:
      • 750w
      • Case:
      • BeQuiet Dark Base Pro rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PG35VQ
      • Internet:
      • 910/100mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Terbinator View Post
    I can appreciate where you're coming from but its the implementation that makes "it work" - F2P games are no more the cancer, bane or anything else as much as a bad game/franchise in general is. You say yourself it has to be perfect for it to work, but TF2 and LoL are getting it right and its showing, the latter of which easily dukes it as 'the worlds most popular game'.

Admittedly, i only played TF2 post-F2P, but i've never felt out-gunned or out-spent on it; likewise for LoL.
    Fair enough - but even when they get it right (and I don't really agree that TF2 does get it right, but lets not debate that ), odds are it will still cost you more money than if it were based on a more traditional model. I get the point that F2P allows more games to be made/published, and keeps some games alive (TOR, Star Trek online etc) but I still feel it degrades the whole experience.

There is also a huge difference between getting it right and being commercially successful Players will often overlook the problems caused by F2P if the overall game experience is still good enough..as is shown by LoL and TF2.

EA really smacked us hard in the face recently when they announced that C&C Generals 2 was going to be converted into a F2P game - now you may say that the fact I am a bit gutted about this is my own fault for anticipating another C&C Generals game and looking forward to it - but I think it's still a valid point..even if that does kinda co-incide with the "why you shouldn't pre order games" discussion

There are more important things in life to get worked up about, but it's still incredibly frustrating!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Pretty obvious move to me - in-app purchases are a great way to bump the price sky high without folks noticing. E.g. that news article on the BBC this morning where some little lad managed to spend £1700 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-21620814). What got me in the interview with his mum was that she seemed to be saying that a single DLC pack was nearly £70.

I've got caught myself where a "free" game turns out to be feature limited unless you spend on it. I don't mind so much the optional stuff like in Dead Trigger where you can buy in game money rather than earn it, what does get my hackles raised is where you need to spend that money to actually play the game to an extent more than a demo.
    Couldnt agree more with these points.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information