Thread: News - Canon 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor excels in low light

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Canon 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor excels in low light

Burning incense sticks in a room provides enough light for a video recording.
    Read more.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: News - Canon 35mm full-frame CMOS sensor excels in low light

Basically its a 35mm 2 megapixel camera.

The other thing is they are showing video with this, which maybe because I don't do video really, makes me curious that they are doing something cool in time domain. Because with video you can observe each pixel for longer, potentially use some clever noise removal logic to clean up the image even more.

This is important because the lower the light, the more noise creaps in.

I would be interested to see a side by side still comparison from this sensor with something like a downsampled D800, as after all you could take 16 pixels and turn it in to one, a great way to have less noise.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Basically its a 35mm 2 megapixel camera.

The other thing is they are showing video with this, which maybe because I don't do video really, makes me curious that they are doing something cool in time domain. Because with video you can observe each pixel for longer, potentially use some clever noise removal logic to clean up the image even more.

This is important because the lower the light, the more noise creaps in.

I would be interested to see a side by side still comparison from this sensor with something like a downsampled D800, as after all you could take 16 pixels and turn it in to one, a great way to have less noise.
    IMO the reason they used video is because there is no expectation of high resolutions. 1080p is a good video resolution that has people going 'ooh shiny' whereas a 2MPx stills camera is lolworthy. Obviously at 30fps you are limited to minimum shutter speeds of 1/30th of a second - however I don't see this as an issue since longer than that and unless you're imaging stationary objects, you'll get motion blur anyway.

I'm not convinced by the noise reduction logic either - it's been possible for years to take two exposures of the same (stationary) object for noise reduction purposes. With video there is a presumption that you are recording moving objects. So even if you reduced the frame rate by half in aid of noise reduction, you would still be trying to reduce noise from two pictures that are not identical, so would be left with a blurry image.

Comparing this to downsampling I would expect this to be a little better since you would not have the dead space between photon detector sites present in downsampling. However the other argument is that by downsampling you are also performing noise reduction at the same time, so I'm not sure what the end result would be.

Pretty exciting stuff though

Thanks

Another technique used by still cameras is dark frame subtraction, after recording the image, the shutter is closed and another image of equal exposure time is taken, and subtracted from the original. Some noise tends to remain fairly constant, at least between two successive shots. This is partly why a DSLR set to expose for 10s will spend another 10s 'processing'.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

After been able to watch the video its interesting that they are out performing NEC's secuirty oreintated 3 sensor camera, which relies on a prisim to break the light in too three paths for the red green and the blue, this reduces the amount of light lost in the filter.

However they are beating that. Which in a way is quite impressive, however I do feel its a bit like looking at the fastest steam boat, in the age of the airplane.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thread Information