Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: News - Windows 8.1 will have a Start Screen button

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Re: News - Windows 8.1 will have a Start Screen button

Quote Originally Posted by Ceryndrion View Post
    Honestly no, its not enough to placate those who use start menu replacement software, the reason we use it, is because WE DONT LIKE THE START SCREEN.. adding in a button that takes us to the start screen, is just another kick in the teeth..

Not Impressed.
    So there should be two start solutions to keep you happy? Because you can't or won't adjust a little? Because that wouldn't be at all confusing for less able users or create chaos when they accidentally disable touch interfaces on their tablet.

The start screen is just a full screen start menu with dynamic features, it really doesn't require genius level intellect to get the hang of it and its very quick to configure. "Straight to desktop" is the stupidest complaint though, its in the first column of tiles by default and 1 click or Win+D away.

A start button to duplicate the charm and hot corner functionality should be enough of a visual clue for everyone, would probably have been good in the 1st edition to ease people's transition.

Thanks

I want that "Modern UI" start screen GONE from my computer, gone, I don't want to see it, EVER !

So I use that "startisback", mostly to completely skip that start screen muck and go straight to desktop, like I said, I don't even want to see it, ever, ever, ever.

I then use ObjectDock Plus on the desktop to organise regularly used software and games into a nice tabbed dropdown menu that's otherwise hidden away.

Dear Microsoft, please shove your modern UI social media based deleted by admin - read our rules on swearing

Thanks
    • Noxvayl's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigabyteZ87X-UD4H-CF
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengaence LPX + 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast
      • Storage:
      • 120GB Snadisk + 256GB Crucial SSDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4GB Sapphire R9 380
      • PSU:
      • ENermax Platimax 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • ATMT + Dell 1024x1280
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre

This hasn't persuaded me. A few reviews have mentioned that Windows 8 refuses to let some games work without having installed the malware that is Games for Windows Live so that makes it even less likely that I'll purchase this badly amalgamated operating system.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Willzzz View Post
    How can a program NOT be compatible with a tile? A tile is just a button by another name.
    Last one I came across was the control software for a Logitech webcam, that one DID have a tile, but when you clicked the tile all it did was drop you into the "classic" desktop where, and this made me smile, you could then click the shortcut that the installer had kindly placed on the desktop. So yes, it was possible to access from MUI, but I think even a MUIvangelist such as yourself will admit that this was "clunky" to say the least.
    Are there also some programs that aren't compatible with the start menu?
    There's some stuff where I've had to manually install a shortcut, but that's not really relevant is it?
    You know you can move the tiles around and group them to make finding programs really easy?
    Duh, yes - but I'll still claim that pressing that Windows key and typing "Ex" then return is still far faster than hunting down that Excel tile. And sure if you only use Excel then tile won't be more than a mouse click, but if you're using a dozen or more programs then Windows+typing is going to be faster.

You "get" what Microsoft was up to with MUI and presumably like it, I on the other hand don't get the big deal and don't particularly like MUI. Probably most sensible to agree that we disagree and leave it at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by kingpotnoodle View Post
    A start button to duplicate the charm and hot corner functionality should be enough of a visual clue for everyone, would probably have been good in the 1st edition to ease people's transition.
    Erm, yes. Then again, Microsoft's got a good track record of "we know better than you, here have this and like it ... or don't, we don't care either way".

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Last one I came across was the control software for a Logitech webcam, that one DID have a tile, but when you clicked the tile all it did was drop you into the "classic" desktop where, and this made me smile, you could then click the shortcut that the installer had kindly placed on the desktop. So yes, it was possible to access from MUI, but I think even a MUIvangelist such as yourself will admit that this was "clunky" to say the least.
    OK, but that's an installer. You wouldn't put an installer on your start menu or desktop either. It's a run once thing that you never use again.
    You create a tile for the program itself.

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Duh, yes - but I'll still claim that pressing that Windows key and typing "Ex" then return is still far faster than hunting down that Excel tile. And sure if you only use Excel then tile won't be more than a mouse click, but if you're using a dozen or more programs then Windows+typing is going to be faster.
    This is why asked what the first thing you did was. Yes sometimes you run this odd little program that you have to search for but 99% of the time it's one of a handful that you can easily find, especially the very first program you launch. Even if you do want to search for it by typing, then you still want the start screen open surely?

Quite frankly regardless of which version of Windows I amusing the start menu/start screen is barely used. I open the programs I need and everything past that point is merely switching between them.

Thanks

Windows 8 always comes across as a reaction to what's going on in the hardware world, rather than being something moving forward that hardware would come out to help. What I mean is that right through till the release of Vista, the better the hardware then the better Windows ran. Now unless you count that Windows 8 is a better experience through a touchscreen ( my opinion of course) what has happened is the actual form factor has changed. The difference between 7 and 8 in hardware needed is very slight apart from touchscreen you could argue and considering that people are hanging on with XP till the bitter end something had to give
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

The start screen is just a full screen start menu with dynamic features, it really doesn't require genius level intellect to get the hang of it and its very quick to configure.
    You vastly overestimate the average computer user in the commercial / business sector then.

I remember the start menu changes from XP to Vista/7, which I consider a massive improvement. This was enough for training courses to be run and support lines to help some people make a transition (I'm talking an organisation with thousands here).

HEXUS is full of computer bods, but I've seen first hand casual computer users at work try to move to 8....and it ain't pretty.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

8. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

So there should be two start solutions to keep you happy? Because you can't or won't adjust a little? Because that wouldn't be at all confusing for less able users or create chaos when they accidentally disable touch interfaces on their tablet.

The start screen is just a full screen start menu with dynamic features, it really doesn't require genius level intellect to get the hang of it and its very quick to configure. "Straight to desktop" is the stupidest complaint though, its in the first column of tiles by default and 1 click or Win+D away.

Don't make it out like it's just a small group of haters, it's a very large group of people who are just not satisfied with what MS have done.
    A start screen is not an efficient method of operating a desktop with a mouse, why be forced to adjust when the original way was more effective?
    Perhaps you feel different, fine, no need to belittle other people's opinion and experience on the matter.

10. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (26-04-2013),crossy (23-04-2013),dfour (22-04-2013),Noxvayl (22-04-2013),Saracen (22-04-2013)

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Eh?

Is a start menu a method of operating a desktop? It's simply a way to launch programs, the start screen does this just as effectively.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • CountBartok's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX8320
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Geil BlackDragon 1866
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Mushkin chronos + 2tb WD Black.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 290 4gb
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic G-Series 750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2312HM

OK, but that's an installer. You wouldn't put an installer on your start menu or desktop either. It's a run once thing that you never use again.
    You create a tile for the program itself.

This is why asked what the first thing you did was. Yes sometimes you run this odd little program that you have to search for but 99% of the time it's one of a handful that you can easily find, especially the very first program you launch. Even if you do want to search for it by typing, then you still want the start screen open surely?

Quite frankly regardless of which version of Windows I amusing the start menu/start screen is barely used. I open the programs I need and everything past that point is merely switching between them.
    I think if you had read his post properly: " you could then click the shortcut that the installer had kindly placed on the desktop".
    He was not refering to the installer but to the icon the installer had placed on the desktop.

13. Received thanks from:

crossy (23-04-2013)

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

Well in that case the objection is even more silly, you don't even need to go into the dreaded MUI in order to launch the program.

It's like installing a program in Win7 and it creates a shortcut on the desktop instead of the start menu.
    OMG THE START MENU IS BORKEN!!!!!!

If you want a shortcut on the start screen JUST ADD ONE.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • CountBartok's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Sabertooth 990fx R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX8320
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Geil BlackDragon 1866
      • Storage:
      • 120gb Mushkin chronos + 2tb WD Black.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 290 4gb
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic G-Series 750w
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Cosmos
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2312HM

Not realy my objection just pointing out your mistake.

Yay a custom user title! =assassin='s Avatar
    Thanks

Along with getting Start button back, they need to make shutting down a much more easily located action, as the first time I tried Windows 8, I had no idea where it was. Shouldn't be hidden like that.

Registered+
    Thanks

Don't miss the button.

Windows key works great as do the various short cut keys - much faster and vastly preferable to the old system.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Eh?

Is a start menu a method of operating a desktop? It's simply a way to launch programs, the start screen does this just as effectively.
    It completely impairs the entire screen with what is basically overgrown icons. I don't need to slide in and out of a full screen UI all the time when a tiny little menu will suffice. It simply is not more effective for use with the mouse.

Yes there are ways of making it more bearable by adding icons and folders to the desktop blah blah blah, what bugs me is that I'm being forced to adjust when it wouldn't have been that difficult to include a completely regular desktop mode with a regular desktop windows store, instead I end up downloading 3rd party tools and blocking Microsofts new vision out all together. They shot themselves in the foot.

I'm sure you will argue this till you're blue in the face Willzzz, the fact that win8 isn't doing overwhelming great in software sales and there is a huge number of 3rd party programs with hundreds of thousands of downloads to help make it more familiar, kinda says it all. The people have spoken, this isn't going away, and MS are failing to respond.

19. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (26-04-2013)

Thanks
    • Willzzz's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte
      • CPU:
      • PSU:
      • FD Newton R3 600W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 350D

People don't like change, but that doesn't make change bad.

When was the last time you had the start menu open and actually did something on the rest of the screen? Never?

The start screen only needs to be open for a fraction of a second, you just click once on the program you want and bang you're right back in the good old desktop again.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information