Thread: News - Google Play Games to rival the iOS Game Centre

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Google Play Games to rival the iOS Game Centre

Many features are revealed by a new leaked APK teardown.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: News - Google Play Games to rival the iOS Game Centre

Thank god for that, developers can finally get rid of bloody annoying leaderboard apps, i.e. OpenFeint and its ilk, that don't work and crash the games they're used in.

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

Game saves is the main thing i`ve been wanting for ages.

I went through a phase of changing firmwares every couple of weeks which menat I couldnt really get into any games.

Also Games like FM handheld will be awesome Play on my phone whilst at work then on tablet when i ge thome

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

So a new “Play Games” section will appear in the Play Store - with game apps so popular on Android it’s about time.
    I just checked my two most modern Android devices and the "Games" heading is already there. And there's a "Games" subheading on the "Apps" page.

Also nice to see that the new Play store also seems to be doing more to split up the content into headings, but I'm less than impressed that the search feature still seems to be pretty indiscriminate - e.g. if you're in the "Productivity" section and search for "Galaxy" then you'll still get hits in the other categories - especially "Live Wallpapers" - which can make it darned difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I'm not into gaming on my android gear in a big way (sudoku's and the occasional tower defence game) but I can see cloud store/sync of game saves being very popular with a lot of people. Shame that Ouya is going to miss out on this, since I can see a positive selling point in being able to start a game on the train home (on your phone) and then continue it after dinner on your TV/Ouya combo.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    So a new “Play Games” section will appear in the Play Store - with game apps so popular on Android it’s about time.
    I just checked my two most modern Android devices and the "Games" heading is already there. And there's a "Games" subheading on the "Apps" page.

Also nice to see that the new Play store also seems to be doing more to split up the content into headings, but I'm less than impressed that the search feature still seems to be pretty indiscriminate - e.g. if you're in the "Productivity" section and search for "Galaxy" then you'll still get hits in the other categories - especially "Live Wallpapers" - which can make it darned difficult to sort the wheat from the chaff.

I'm not into gaming on my android gear in a big way (sudoku's and the occasional tower defence game) but I can see cloud store/sync of game saves being very popular with a lot of people. Shame that Ouya is going to miss out on this, since I can see a positive selling point in being able to start a game on the train home (on your phone) and then continue it after dinner on your TV/Ouya combo.
    They're not talking a Games app section, this a Games hub on your Android phone providing functions similar to Live on Xbox.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by YenRug View Post
    They're not talking a Games app section, this a Games hub on your Android phone providing functions similar to Live on Xbox.
    Yes, realise that. Point I was making (badly) is that the move to shift Games from merely a type of app to a full-blown Play "product line" (a la Music, Books, Magazines, etc) is already underway.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thread Information