Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News - Order of War: first game erased from all Steam user libraries

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Order of War: first game erased from all Steam user libraries

Servers were shut down and then game removed, despite the single player missions.
    Read more.

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Re: News - Order of War: first game erased from all Steam user libraries

Very, very dodgy precedent. Have any of the purchasers kicked up a fuss? I presume Steam has made no effort to recompense them?

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Always on DRM has resulted in this problem on a number of occasions already (cf. games for windows live) but theres been other ones in the past. Ultimately the issue here rests firmly with Sqenix, if they made the game unplayable by turning off their drm servers they've caused the issue, and its them that should be compensating players. (although considering the resale value I don't think anyones going to be chasing it).

It makes sense for steam to remove the store page so no one could accidentally buy it, and I'd like to give valve the benefit of the doubt that their system won't let them have orphaned games installed but with no store page.

All that being said, I still try to avoid always on drm wherever possible.
    Last edited by herulach; 31-12-2013 at 01:06 PM. Reason: formatting

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

But Steam have done that sort of thing before - see Dragon Age II. You could buy it, and now you can't. It's another kettle of fish to completely erase it from people's libraries though.

Registered+
    Thanks

It's not just the "always on" type of DRM either though: what happens when game X requires online activation for the install and the activation servers have been shut down? Developers could patch the DRM out with an update in the same way that the original Dawn of War game had its copy protection patched out with the last update, but most will choose not to spend the extra time/money on a game that isn't making any more revenue.

In twenty years time (probably less), most of these games will not be playable and the "nostalgia kick" will only be available in the unlikely event that they are re-released - but you'll have to pay for the game again.

tl;dr DRM is bad for the consumer.

Thanks
    • Ferral's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Z97-P
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K Haswell
      • Memory:
      • 12Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600 Mhz
      • Storage:
      • 120Gb Kingston SSD & 2 Tb Toshiba
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Radeon R9 380 Nitro 4Gb
      • PSU:
      • Antec Truepower 750 Watt Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Focus G Mid Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" iiyama Prolite 4K
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb BT Fiber

Here's me with my tapes and floppy disks on C64, Amiga, Atari ST etc.

As long as I store them properly I will still own and be able to play them in the next 20 years.

Steam / Valve is a great platform and stuff like this is beyond their control, this lands right in the court of Square Enix. Dragon Age 2 if you have bought it on Steam already, even though it is removed from the store you can still download and play it, you can even activate the key on Origin if you wished. This was an EA thing, they took that and Crysis 2 off Steam, Crysis 2 is back on there now, surprised that DA2 hasn't come back. Same goes for Wolfenstein, I have that and can still download it on Steam even though it has been removed from the store, believe that has something to do with licensing. Then look at games that have been removed from GOG's catalog, Second Sight & XIII earlier this year and Fallout series is due to leave midnight tonight as Bethesda haven't renewed with GOG.

Unfortunately this happens, I hope that Valve shows their customers some support with this and maybe gives affected users a credit to their wallet as form of compensation.

Treasure Hunter extraordinaire herulach's Avatar
    Thanks
    • herulach's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 MPower
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD Blue + 250GB 840 EVo
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2* Palit GTX 970 Jetstream
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 850W
      • Case:
      • CM HAF Stacker 935, 2*360 Rad WC Loop w/EK blocks.
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1
      • Monitor(s):
      • Crossover 290HD & LG L1980Q
      • Internet:
      • 120mb Virgin Media

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    Here's me with my tapes and floppy disks on C64, Amiga, Atari ST etc.

As long as I store them properly I will still own and be able to play them in the next 20 years.

Steam / Valve is a great platform and stuff like this is beyond their control, this lands right in the court of Square Enix. Dragon Age 2 if you have bought it on Steam already, even though it is removed from the store you can still download and play it, you can even activate the key on Origin if you wished. This was an EA thing, they took that and Crysis 2 off Steam, Crysis 2 is back on there now, surprised that DA2 hasn't come back. Same goes for Wolfenstein, I have that and can still download it on Steam even though it has been removed from the store, believe that has something to do with licensing. Then look at games that have been removed from GOG's catalog, Second Sight & XIII earlier this year and Fallout series is due to leave midnight tonight as Bethesda haven't renewed with GOG.

Unfortunately this happens, I hope that Valve shows their customers some support with this and maybe gives affected users a credit to their wallet as form of compensation.
    I retract some of my earlier bit then, didn't realise steam had pulled stuff from the store but still left it downloadable before.

I still think the article should make it clearer that effectively all valve have done is take a broken game off steam. Its sqenix that have broken it.

As far as longevity goes, steam/origin/uplay/<whatever blizzard call their thing> only patches seem the most annoying, particularly when they're locked to an account *cough* stardock *cough*.

This kind of attitude is clearly driven by consoles, where backwards compatibility is less of a consideration (and is pretty niche anyway) and is only going to get worse as digital distribution becomes mainstream there also.

Thanks

Did they really make it "not happen"? I bought City of Heroes Going Rogue (which is a dead game now) and it's not on my games list, but it's on my "Licenses and subscriptions" list and "Store Transactions".

Thanks

As others have said the blame for this lays with Square Enix, if a developer or publisher closes down servers supporting a game they should at least release a patch to remove the DRM, at best release the server side software to the public so people can run their own servers if they wish.
    All things like this do are give people more reasons not to buy games with DRM, or with the DRM removed.

Thanks
    • miniyazz's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 8920G
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Optoma HD700X projector @ c. 90"
      • Internet:
      • Really, really ****

Remind me never to buy anything from Square Enix.

Thanks
    • Lucio's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX-6350 with Cooler Master Seldon 240
      • Memory:
      • 2x4GB Corsair DDR3 Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Toshiba, 2.5" SSD, 1TB WD Blue WD10EZEX, 500GB Seagate Baracuda 7200.11
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 270X 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 600W Silverstone Strider SST-ST60F
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF XB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 2032BW, 1680 x 1050
      • Internet:
      • 16Mb Plusnet

Quote Originally Posted by ET3D View Post
    Did they really make it "not happen"? I bought City of Heroes Going Rogue (which is a dead game now) and it's not on my games list, but it's on my "Licenses and subscriptions" list and "Store Transactions".
    Actually that reminds me of a good example that isn't Steam related, MMO's like City of Heroes, particularly those with a F2P micro-transaction option, are very vulnerable to being pulled when funding drops too low to cover costs and when they go, all your previous purchases become irrelevant.

I do wonder how long it will be until a case ends up before the courts in the US or Far East, citing theft or fraud for selling goods with a limited lifespan, despite whatever ToS has been agreed to.

Personally, I do consider digitial purchases to be more akin to temporary entertainment, like going to the cinema, or going out boozing. You pay for the memories you gain, and the enjoyment you get whilst your purchase is still valid. Yes, there's an expectation of a decent length of time but keeping them forever? Well you can't take it with you...

(\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/) (\___/)
    (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=) (='.'=)
    (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(") (")_(")

This is bunny and friends. He is fed up waiting for everyone to help him out, and decided to help himself instead!

Lurking since 06
    Thanks
    • Mama Sumae's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5B - deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core2 duo 6300 O'c @ 3.1 Mhz / Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro
      • Memory:
      • Corsair 2GB XMS2 6400 C4 @ 890Mhz
      • Storage:
      • WD 320 GB /sata
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti oc - 1GB GDDR5
      • PSU:
      • Enermax NoisetakerII 485W
      • Case:
      • AKASA ZEN Black 2x12cm fans
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Ulti
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ G2222HDL 21.5 inch
      • Internet:
      • Virginmedia 50MB (or so they told me...)

That's not even the most blatant issue Lucio, items bought through micro-transactions in F2P are commonly patched/balanced after the initial launch sale, leading to an item that performs well below what was sold.

League of legends for example launches new playable characters every so on, these are available through real money or in-game gold (grind). Needless to say some are often overpowered (until they get toned down later on) driving the need to always have the latest "hero" as soon as possible. Same could be said for a FPS I played previously, patches would steadily increase recoil/decrease damage in older weapons to ensure new ones would always provide a competitive edge.

Personally I don't care, I simply wont go anywhere near F2Ps nowadays, either because the P2W model eventually creeps in or simply because grinding is so often an essential mechanic of these games. To me grinding amounts only to time spent/wasted on repetitive tasks and it equates by no measure to a sense of achievement or fun, so quite the opposite of a what game should be.

Still in an area that caters mostly to young uninformed consumers there seems to be some questionable practices with little to no scrutiny.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ferral View Post
    I agree with everything you said with the exception of this
    It shouldn't be Valve who loose out here
    The users shouldn't be out of pocket but Valve aren't in the wrong here, should be SE who should give something like a discount code or some steam cash into each of the users wallets
    It's a shame though.

Always Online DRM is the scourge of the games industry and needs to be wiped off the face of the earth

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Makes me nervous for all the GfWL titles
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Registered+
    Thanks

Looks like the forbes link was updated, making in this instance a bit of a non-issue:

Update: It appears that contrary to what I first believed, the single-player portion of the game—Order of War without the “Challenge”—is still available on Steam, and only the multi-player content has been removed.

That’s good, and changes some of the details in the above post. But my larger point still stands: Single-player games that have always-online DRM attached are inherently at the mercy of the servers’ longevity, having an internet connection to begin with, etc. That’s a problem that complicates the notion of digital ownership.

16. Received thanks from:

AGTDenton (03-01-2014)

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

by digital ownership you mean digital rental. If you read the t&cs you own nothing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information