Thread: News - Microsoft profits hurt by Nokia acquisition

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

News - Microsoft profits hurt by Nokia acquisition

Nokia's contribution to Microsoft profits was minus $692 million.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Re: News - Microsoft profits hurt by Nokia acquisition

Seems Steven Elop was a bit too competent running Nokia into the ground, so that Microsoft could acquire it cheaply. Ah well, the cost of doing business...

3. Received thanks from:

aidanjt (23-07-2014)

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Also there is talk that Microsoft will stop any work on the feature phone business and get more cheaper Lumias out there.
    Problem with that strategy - at least here in the UK - is that there's still a lot of the mobile providers who are focused on the old (2G) products with a lot of voice minutes and texts. Whereas I'd argue that if you're replacing a feature phone with a smartphone then you pretty much need some data allowance - say 100MB/month. Apart from that, dropping the Asha's etc would make a heck of a lot of sense to me.

If MS want to do a low-end Lumia without any camera then I'd happily buy it to replace my current works feature phone (also a Nokia).

Biggest problem though is that I assume that the Nokia brand won't be allowed to do tablets, which would be a shame. We've got a 2520 tablet here and it's better built than the Surface.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

I wonder how much of this is because of the strange design choices with the new models? Lots of people bought 520/620 phones, but the new models in that area of the range do little to improve upon those older models and in many ways are worse. Then there's the 930, which is a great phone but very expensive. The very first day these models were announced, all the comment boards for Windows Phone sites lit up saying the same things: "Why did they do this to the specs?"; "I'll wait to see a 730 or 830"; "If we don't hear something soon, I'll pick up an unlocked 2nd hand high-end Lumia", etc. Disappointment festered for far too long before the phones were even available to buy. This was like anti-hype.

I know because I've been keeping an eye in this myself - eBay traders have been doing a brisk trade in 9xx and 10xx Lumias, which are cheaper than ever and a better option. I can't say this is exactly why the division has lost so much money, but it doesn't help. Who knows, maybe if they'd shown a better new family, those losses might be significantly smaller.

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Throwing out a crappy Android phone before promptly killing it a la MeeGo certainly didn't help.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Doesn't help when they try to sell you a Samsung/Android or iphone in the shops though does it?
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Otherhand View Post
    I wonder how much of this is because of the strange design choices with the new models? Lots of people bought 520/620 phones, but the new models in that area of the range do little to improve upon those older models and in many ways are worse. Then there's the 930, which is a great phone but very expensive. The very first day these models were announced, all the comment boards for Windows Phone sites lit up saying the same things: "Why did they do this to the specs?"; "I'll wait to see a 730 or 830"; "If we don't hear something soon, I'll pick up an unlocked 2nd hand high-end Lumia", etc. Disappointment festered for far too long before the phones were even available to buy. This was like anti-hype.

I know because I've been keeping an eye in this myself - eBay traders have been doing a brisk trade in 9xx and 10xx Lumias, which are cheaper than ever and a better option. I can't say this is exactly why the division has lost so much money, but it doesn't help. Who knows, maybe if they'd shown a better new family, those losses might be significantly smaller.
    You seen this announcement

http://conversations.nokia.com/2014/07/23/lumia-530/

A cracking phone for 100EUR on the street.

The fact is that this division hasn't 'lost money' per say, but it is an investment. At the moment the biggest rise for MSFT was due to Bing getting more market share and add revenue, as well as the Azure stuff growing two. Bing used to be a bigger write down than the mobile devices has ever been, as was xbox.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks
    • Brewster0101's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus m5a99x evo
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX 8350
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4) Corsair Vengence DDR3 1600mghz
      • Storage:
      • Western Green 3TB + Samsung 850Evo 512MB SSD, + 2TB NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AXi760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 650D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 27" 27EA63 IPS LED
      • Internet:
      • 120Mb Bt

Really want to give the Nokia 1520 as go, swop out my Note 2 - But Microsoft have a very half arsed attitude to updates and keeping up with the field of competition.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by Brewster0101 View Post
    Really want to give the Nokia 1520 as go, swop out my Note 2 - But Microsoft have a very half arsed attitude to updates and keeping up with the field of competition.
    Not sure I quite agree - a lot of the competition seem to be going for innovation for innovation's sake (e.g. fingerprint readers - wtf!), whereas the Nokia's "just work". Biggest pain is that the Black update took an incredible amount of time to get certified by some of the carriers.

We have/had an HTC and a Nokia Windows phone in the house and the Nokia is definitely the better phone of the two - although the HTC is prettier. Biggest problem for MS though is definitely 3rd party software support. The HTC WP8 phone owner has now "downgraded" (?) to a Galaxy S3 because of the lack of software support, (plus HTC absolutely crippled the 8S by giving it a totally inadequate amount of storage which meant the apps you could take with you was VERY limited).

What Microsoft should do now though is get that "8.1" update out to the customers as fast as possible. That Cortana "assistant" could be a good sales gimmick. Oh, and continue to encourage developers to develop for it of course!

Note 2? You getting the Kitkat upgrade for that? Because my Note 10.1 isn't - damn you Samsung!

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    You seen this announcement

The fact is that this division hasn't 'lost money' per say, but it is an investment. At the moment the biggest rise for MSFT was due to Bing getting more market share and add revenue, as well as the Azure stuff growing two. Bing used to be a bigger write down than the mobile devices has ever been, as was xbox.
    Ah, I hadn't seen that, no! It's a great entry level model to bring people onto Windows Phone, but as far as I can tell from the communities such as WPCentral they really need something for the customers who bought 520/620 to buy as an upgrade. One of the biggest complaints about the 630 was the low RAM, so yet another 512MB phone isn't the best (although if any model should have it, it's a new 5xx one like this).

There are a few people griping about the way FFC has been ditched on the x30 phones, but I'm not sure that's really inconveniencing many people (more people seem to fear than desire a camera pointing at them now!) - probably one of the better sacrifices. 1GB is increasingly seen as the minimum acceptable amount of RAM, but Nokia/MS haven't been listening. The two big features that would really sell a new 7xx/8xx-position phone would be higher-res sceens and/or the excellent cameras from the older 9xx models. Either or both of those would be fantastic, and I'd certainly buy one.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Ah, I hadn't seen that, no! It's a great entry level model to bring people onto Windows Phone, but as far as I can tell from the communities such as WPCentral they really need something for the customers who bought 520/620 to buy as an upgrade. One of the biggest complaints about the 630 was the low RAM, so yet another 512MB phone isn't the best (although if any model should have it, it's a new 5xx one like this).
    Wasn't one of the big "smackdowns" from the WP devs that their system was a lot more efficient than Android, so was better suited to the "budget" specs? When I've borrowed a 620 it's seemed pretty rapid - only place that has me doing a "wtf" is on updates which seem to take a glacial amount of time. If that's due to memory shortage then that's a good enough reason to push for the "proper" memory allocation.

One thing about Android that I find worrying is that despite, all the protestations from Google to the contrary, the resource requirements seem to be slowly increasing. When the S3 came out it's 1GB RAM was deemed sufficient, got my G3 and there's folks complaining that a "mere" 2GB RAM is low for a "flagship" these days. I had an opportunity to try a "budget" Android smartphone with 512MB RAM (Galaxy Mini 2) and it was a truly horrid experience - although how much of that was due to TouchWiz I wouldn't like to say. Suffice to say that if I had to have a phone with 512MB RAM then I'd take the 620 over the Mini 2 every time.

What I will agree with though is that 512MB RAM is more suited to the 500 series, and that the 600 series should get 1GB. No technical reason for this - purely marketing.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Rumours of a decent 830 are what's currently keeping my Moto G purchase on hold...

Thanks

The issue is that they 6/7/8 are all kind of the same phone, I think MS should have just delinated on screen size, maybe camera quality, and given them all 1GB, however, I can see that they don't want to do that, because it stops them charging significantly more for the 820.

There are a few people griping about the way FFC has been ditched on the x30 phones, but I'm not sure that's really inconveniencing many people (more people seem to fear than desire a camera pointing at them now!) - probably one of the better sacrifices. 1GB is increasingly seen as the minimum acceptable amount of RAM, but Nokia/MS haven't been listening. The two big features that would really sell a new 7xx/8xx-position phone would be higher-res sceens and/or the excellent cameras from the older 9xx models. Either or both of those would be fantastic, and I'd certainly buy one.
    Funny thing about front facing camera, many people say they never use it! I also dis agree about bringing in the 9xx series cameras, I think that would be making the situation so odd as to why buy a 9? Unless it was just screen size, but then, would people pay £100 for that alone? Meanwhile the BOM for the 7/8 would have increased, meaning they miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Wasn't one of the big "smackdowns" from the WP devs that their system was a lot more efficient than Android, so was better suited to the "budget" specs? When I've borrowed a 620 it's seemed pretty rapid - only place that has me doing a "wtf" is on updates which seem to take a glacial amount of time. If that's due to memory shortage then that's a good enough reason to push for the "proper" memory allocation.
    What I will agree with though is that 512MB RAM is more suited to the 500 series, and that the 600 series should get 1GB. No technical reason for this - purely marketing.
    Yeah it does very well indeed, which I dare say is kind of this problem. Why buy a more expensive phone when a cheaper one feels just as good? You have to gimp the cheaper ones some how.

Notice that link I had mentioned it was 80 EUR before taxes and the like. Given that they've had Lumias before at £60-70, I wouldn't be surprised if we see one at £50-60. They really have to cut corners to make that happen, and I question the use of a device with only 256meg of RAM for webbrowsing in todays modern HTML world (ergh!)

Thanks

[QUOTE=TheAnimus;8430]

According to this review suggest otherwise.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Top_gun View Post
    According to this review http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/nokia-lumia-530-vs-520"]review [/URL] suggest otherwise.
    Take it you mean this link: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinio...mia-530-vs-520 ?

Well that is the point, it's cheaper than the 530, a lot of the things they compare are non issues really. The camera is crap, it will now be crap but faster to get your crap photo, the CPU will allow for longer battery life, and all for less money.

Edit: A quick search showed that the 520 launched for £99.99 on the street, This is going to be going at £79.99. Throw in the whole £20 if you buy a locked version with PAYG time, and it may well be available for launch at £59.99, that could well mean sub £50 after the holidays. The only barrier that 530 is breaking is how cheaply can you make a smartphone that is still good, and not a feature phone.
    Last edited by TheAnimus; 25-07-2014 at 01:48 PM.

Thread Information