Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: News - Apple Q4 earnings outshine estimates with record Q4 profits

Thanks

Re: News - Apple Q4 earnings outshine estimates with record Q4 profits

Thats the style apple you deserve it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bane2087 View Post
    Looks like the general public will never truly see Apple for what it is... at this point there's no excuse for ignorance so I would guess they deserve to be fleeced each year. Just a shame all that wasted money can't go towards something worthwhile.
    such as?

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Ranger
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengance Pro Ultimate
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Quote Originally Posted by AlexKitch View Post
    Grow up, folks.

Who are you to decide what people spend their money on, and how worthwhile that purchase is? I'm by no means an Apple fan (PC all the way), but I use an iPhone because I've found them to be solid, reliable pieces of kit which work well for my own personal needs. In terms of hardware and benchmark scores, yes - I could probably get better value for money, but money simply isn't everything.

If you like your Android phones or Windows Phones or whatever else then, by all means stick to them, because those are great phones too. But please stop throwing mud at people who buy Apple devices just because you've decided that you have some kind of personal vendetta against the Apple brand. I can assure you I'm a perfectly intelligent person who isn't being 'fleeced' for anything - stop worrying your pretty little head.
    It's somewhat amusing that you appear to have taken what is mostly a load of comments concerning Apple Corporation and it's performance and approach, and only one or two product specific comments (not shared by me), to equal a personal attack on your right to buy what you perceive to be a good product with your own money, which I don't think anyone has implied.

Moreover, if you admit that you could get better performance elsewhere for cheaper then you do sound a little stupid. After all, it's usually when you don't have much money that you realise that it isn't everything.

Perhaps a nerve has been touched because deep down you do think your clearly excessive reserves of cash should be better spent elsewhere (you don't have a monopoly on patronising sarcasm).

AlexKitch

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieRoy View Post
    It's somewhat amusing that you appear to have taken what is mostly a load of comments concerning Apple Corporation and it's performance and approach, and only one or two product specific comments (not shared by me), to equal a personal attack on your right to buy what you perceive to be a good product with your own money, which I don't think anyone has implied.

Moreover, if you admit that you could get better performance elsewhere for cheaper then you do sound a little stupid. After all, it's usually when you don't have much money that you realise that it isn't everything.

Perhaps a nerve has been touched because deep down you do think your clearly excessive reserves of cash should be better spent elsewhere (you don't have a monopoly on patronising sarcasm).
    Eh? I'm not sure why you've decided to make this about me and my opinions, when neither of those matter at all. Nevertheless, you've clearly misunderstood. I'll try to briefly explain what you should've taken away from my comment:

When I buy a phone (or any other device, for that matter), I'm shopping for a phone that's very good at being a phone. Nothing else. I'm a software developer by day and, as a result, I actually enjoy the idea of being able to isolate myself from the technical aspects of my phone - it's bliss. I enjoy the walled in experience because I'm simply not interested in having swathes of customisation features, or how easy the device is to root, or how well the CPU benchmarks. I have a PC for all of that stuff. I want to use my phone as a sort of 'personal assistant' rather than as some kind of hobby.

With that in mind, I'm happy to pay a small premium to get those things (and more important, to *not* get anything else). I had a Galaxy S3 for 2 years and frankly I hated it, although Touchwiz certainly didn't help.

Lastly; no, I'm not some kind of oil tycoon as you seem to so ambitiously suggest. I also don't buy phones very often, so in all honesty, I don't mind spending some money when I *do* buy one.

In summary: Buying Apple products doesn't automatically make you worship Steve Jobs and excrete rainbow-encrusted turds. It's a choice, at the end of the day. As valid a choice as any of the other choices.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

I just find it all the Apple bashing a bit tedious to be honest.

Performance is subjective. In my last couple of roles, I've had access to highend SPARC and Power kit, both of which in raw numbers would crush anything from Apple or Intel's consumer space. They've arrived as headless boxes though, so clearly in terms of functional performance, out of the box they were rubbish. Even after installing applications, for what most people use a PC for, they'd be next to useless, but for what my end customer was using them for they fit the bill exactly.

Apple, Linux, Windows is the same kettle of fish. I wouldn't use Linux on the desktop (out of preference), I wouldn't run a webserver on OSX. I wouldn't try and use Windows as a multi-user terminal system. I accept that you can do all of those things, I personally just wouldn't.

As I'm sure that someone is about to bring up the 'but all the iSheep need to queue up for the shiny'. I remember the exact same thing on the release of Windows 95 (yes really). I remember the exact same thing on the release of Wii/Xbox/PS3 (although not as much as Sony would have liked) etc etc etc.

It hasn't touched a nerve with me, I'm just fed up with zealots telling me I'm an iSheep for spending my money on what I want (which is an ecosystem which works incredibly well most of the time), especially when the real default for phone OS is Android by far (84.7% for the last quarter according to the FT).

6. Received thanks from:

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 128GB Samsung Evo pro SSD, 1 x 500GB Hitatchi HDD, 2 x 2Tb WD Green in Raid 1 Config.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

Eh? I'm not sure why you've decided to make this about me and my opinions
    Because you wrote your post in the first person and also said: "Grow up folks", "Who are you to decide what people spend their money on, and how worthwhile that purchase is?" and "stop worrying your pretty little head".

When I buy a phone (or any other device, for that matter), I'm shopping for a phone that's very good at being a phone. Nothing else. I'm a software developer by day and, as a result, I actually enjoy the idea of being able to isolate myself from the technical aspects of my phone - it's bliss. I enjoy the walled in experience because I'm simply not interested in having swathes of customisation features, or how easy the device is to root, or how well the CPU benchmarks. I have a PC for all of that stuff. I want to use my phone as a sort of 'personal assistant' rather than as some kind of hobby.
    Which is entirely your right, which I fully respect.

Lastly; no, I'm not some kind of oil tycoon as you seem to so ambitiously suggest. I also don't buy phones very often, so in all honesty, I don't mind spending some money when I *do* buy one.
    Well, saying: "I could probably get better value for money, but money simply isn't everything" pretty much opens you up for a little ribbing!

AlexKitch

Well, saying: "I could probably get better value for money, but money simply isn't everything" pretty much opens you up for a little ribbing!
    With all due respect, you chose to interpret it that way, not me. As b0redom points out (a thousand times better than I have), it's about finding the device and ecosystem that works well for you. Money shouldn't be the only factor.

Facts are sacred
    Thanks
    • RobbieRoy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 280X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CS750M
      • Case:
      • Home made wooden desk
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 TP
      • Monitor(s):
      • Iiyama GB2488HSU-B1
      • Internet:
      • BT

With all due respect, you chose to interpret it that way, not me. As b0redom points out (a thousand times better than I have), it's about finding the device and ecosystem that works well for you. Money shouldn't be the only factor.
    Indeed!

Registered+
    Thanks
    • ricksavoie's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom 2 965
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Crucial
      • Storage:
      • 240GB SSD and 1.5TB RAID
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2ea Radeon 6870 Crossfire
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armor II
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.0
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 24" T240 16:10
      • Internet:
      • Cogeco 30Mbps

This type of bitch fest in't about whining at Apple. It's about spreading some information to the general public and hopefully waking everybody up and choose their next phone/tablet/computer on that devices' actual merit. In my opinion,people who buy Apple products are clones following the trend. Ever since the iPhone 3 there has always been several better Android products available (it's ok, I know you don't agree already). My goal is to educate some of the market, so they will research the quality of apposing products. I look at Apples' business practices and wish the company did not exist. I see Apple as leech on the cellphone industry funded by patent lawsuits and tax avoidance.

Thanks
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

Quote Originally Posted by ricksavoie View Post
    This type of bitch fest in't about whining at Apple. It's about spreading some information to the general public and hopefully waking everybody up and choose their next phone/tablet/computer on that devices' actual merit. In my opinion,people who buy Apple products are clones following the trend.
    You read my post above about the vast majority of people using an android device right?

Ever since the iPhone 3 there has always been several better Android products available (it's ok, I know you don't agree already). My goal is to educate some of the market, so they will research the quality of apposing products.
    Ok at the risk of repeating myself. Better for you. It all depends on use case. I have a lovely carbon race bike for doing distance cycling, but I wouldn't take it mountain biking. I just bought a lovely mountain bike for winter training, but I wouldn't want to do an ironman on it. Each is demonstrably "better" in different use cases.

I look at Apples' business practices and wish the company did not exist. I see Apple as leech on the cellphone industry funded by patent lawsuits and tax avoidance.
    I'll admit, I have no idea of the relative who sued who more, (I'll bet you don't either) but tax avoidance is not illegal. In fact it is the legal duty of a company director to minimise the expenses of a company to maximise the profits of a company.

Whilst I might find the avoidance methods employed by various companies unpalatable, in reality it isn't any different legally speaking to putting money into an ISA or pension. The way to fix that is to simplify and fix the tax code. Don't kid yourself that Google is any different by the way.

I want to like Android. I bought a Hudl as my next race is in Australia and I want to keep the kids busy on the EPIC flight. All they really do is play a few games and watch movies, so a couple of Hudls is substantially cheaper. I uploaded a few mp4s and tried to play them. It was not immediately obvious how to do it.

No problem I thought, I'll write a blog post about my new bike. It turns out there's no immediately obvious local text editor either. Sure I can download one (if I have an Internet connection), but there are hundreds of candidates. I don't want SVN/GIT or any other type of integration. I want a basic text editor, and there isn't one.

TL;DR. Each to their own, but trying to foist your opinion on others as gospel in every use case is exactly the behavior you're accusing Apple zealots of.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information