Thread: HP updates its ENVY X2 convertibles

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

HP updates its ENVY X2 convertibles

Taking various design cues from Microsoft's Surface range.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: HP updates its ENVY X2 convertibles

The two new HP ENVY X2 hybrids are said to be available now in the US and cost from $749 for the 15-inch model and from $799 for the 13-inch model. Would any readers choose one of these HPs rather than a Microsoft Surface Pro 3?
    Yes, this reader would choose the X2 over the Surface Pro 3, although I'm a little confused why the larger screened model is cheaper than the smaller one. I assume it's got something to do with the cost of the screens themselves - with 15" being a more popular, and therefore cheaper, component.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Offer it in 11-12 inch sizes, 1080p as a minimum, SSD as standard, square off the chassis and add a digitiser and it would appeal.

My Vaio Tap 11 is 15mm (with keyboard), has a 1080 screen with a digitiser, 128gb SSD, microSD slot, 4GB of ram, i5 4210Y, same style keyboard, NFC, bluetooth, dualband wifi, etc. and was released last year.

This is all HP can come up with? It's easily arguable that this is worse than Sony's 2013 product. It's a shame Sony don't do computers anymore.

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Yes, this reader would choose the X2 over the Surface Pro 3, although I'm a little confused why the larger screened model is cheaper than the smaller one. I assume it's got something to do with the cost of the screens themselves - with 15" being a more popular, and therefore cheaper, component.
    Can I ask Why?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

The 13.3 option is appealing, but surface pen is just the game changer.
    There are other things that seems to be inferior like the speakers - they adds some margins, so ti makes 14+" tablet.
    I am not that resolution driven so the HD is ok.
    I think that i would prefer Lenovo Yoga 3 than this as well, yes it is more expensive but it just seem to be better device overall.

I plan to buy Surface Pro 3 this black friday.

Quote Originally Posted by CustardInc View Post
    Offer it in 11-12 inch sizes, 1080p as a minimum, SSD as standard, square off the chassis and add a digitiser and it would appeal.

This is all HP can come up with? It's easily arguable that this is worse than Sony's 2013 product. It's a shame Sony don't do computers anymore.
    Hell ye bro

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    The two new HP ENVY X2 hybrids are said to be available now in the US and cost from $749 for the 15-inch model and from $799 for the 13-inch model. Would any readers choose one of these HPs rather than a Microsoft Surface Pro 3?
    the screen cost may be the same, yet there are plenty things that are easier if you have bigger surface, like layout of components - usually the easier is cheaper.

Thanks

This looks horrific and completely misses the point. It's too heavy to be comfortably used as a tablet, and those speakers take up so much extra space. If it can't be used effectively as a tablet then it has no extra advantage and is just a gimped laptop with a horrible keyboard. The Surface Pro 3 is compelling because it is so light and thin.

I'm still waiting for the SP3 to be updated with Broadwell, but my dream device right now would be a waterproof Surface Pro 3 with a slightly larger screen - maybe 13in or even 14in. I know there's no mainstream demand though to see such a device become reality but everyone has those little dreams

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Zhaoman View Post
    This looks horrific and completely misses the point. It's too heavy to be comfortably used as a tablet, and those speakers take up so much extra space. If it can't be used effectively as a tablet then it has no extra advantage and is just a gimped laptop with a horrible keyboard. The Surface Pro 3 is compelling because it is so light and thin.

I'm still waiting for the SP3 to be updated with Broadwell, but my dream device right now would be a waterproof Surface Pro 3 with a slightly larger screen - maybe 13in or even 14in. I know there's no mainstream demand though to see such a device become reality but everyone has those little dreams
    Yes, the waterproof SP3 with 13" would be awesome, 14" will make the whole stuff too heavy - right now the SP3 weight the max you can keep with one hand for extended period of time (it still may be too heavy for some ppl)

Thread Information