• Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Dell S2740L
      • Internet:
      • [X]

Re: Elite: Dangerous refunds now being judged case-by-case

Quote Originally Posted by csgohan4 View Post
    but what about those who bought the game for the rich off line single player WITH an option for Multiplayer all in one price, they should at least get some of their money back
    did it say anywhere that the singleplayer will be offline?

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Mauley's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 PC Mate
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-4590
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 250GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATI Radeon HD 7850 2GB
      • PSU:
      • Antec NeoPower 550w
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flatron 23.5in LED
      • Internet:
      • Plusent 80Mb Fibre

I am one of those rare breed nowadays that like to play some games on my own. I really dislike how we have been pushed into this always connected mentality. Connect in the real world for a change. Personally when I want to play a game I do so on my own, single player mode is great for me. If I want to play multi-player I can do so with my friends with us all in the same room...its way more fun that way for me.

I was one of those looking forward to this game coming out and was all set to pre order before I saw this. I haven't played a good single player space sim since Freelancer and X-2 The Threat.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by csgohan4 View Post
    but what about those who bought the game for the rich off line single player WITH an option for Multiplayer all in one price, they should at least get some of their money back
    If you pre-ordered the game and are unhappy for whatever reason, then yes a refund is a reasonable expectation.
    If you bought into the Alpha/Beta/Gamma and played it then you have already had what you paid for. If you now want a refund because there won't be an offline version, then it could be argued (perhaps by a cunning solicitor) that, by way of playing the online Alpha/Beta/Gamma, you consented to the online version... and have still had what you paid for as it was described, even if it was not what you thought it would be.

Quote Originally Posted by Mauley View Post
    I really dislike how we have been pushed into this always connected mentality. Connect in the real world for a change.
    Always connected in this context means connected to a server, either always or with periodic connections. It does not mean connected to other people, as in social networking or anything.
    Given how most forms of gaming now at least require connection to Steam, Uplay or Origin, if not the game's own launcher as well*, it's fairly reasonable to expect gamers to accept a single-launcher game requiring a small amount of connectivity to 'check in' with the game server, particularly when it's a game designed to be online from the outset.

I'm not saying you have to like it - I get the same about how no phones exist with physical keyboards any more. But that's progress for you. You either have to adapt, or you don't take part.

*Battlefield 3, I think it was, or possibly Titanfall - You open Steam (which updates first) and click play, which opens Origin (which then updates) whereupon you click play, which opens a website whereupon you again click play, which then downloads a load of updates, before you can finally access the Lobby... and then have to wait 10 minutes while it finds you a game matched to your unique level of Noobity.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post

Given how most forms of gaming now at least require connection to Steam, Uplay or Origin, if not the game's own launcher as well*, it's fairly reasonable to expect gamers to accept a single-launcher game requiring a small amount of connectivity to 'check in' with the game server, particularly when it's a game designed to be online from the outset.

I'm not saying you have to like it - I get the same about how no phones exist with physical keyboards any more. But that's progress for you. You either have to adapt, or you don't take part.

Which is why I was especially disappointed. And also why I didn't pay for advance access. The machines I use for gaming don't have a net connection at all, and for security reasons, I'm not changing that, just for a game.

For that, and a few other, reasons, I will not buy any game requiring Steam, etc, so short of DRM-free games from GOG, I "don't take part" any more. I thought this was going to be a rare exception, but it seems not, so no Elite for me.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by elite on kickstarter
    How will single player work? Will I need to connect to a server to play?

The galaxy for Elite: Dangerous is a shared universe maintained by a central server. All of the meta data for the galaxy is shared between players. This includes the galaxy itself as well as transient information like economies. The aim here is that a player's actions will influence the development of the galaxy, without necessarily having to play multiplayer.

The other important aspect for us is that we can seed the galaxy with events, often these events will be triggered by player actions. With a living breathing galaxy players can discover new and interesting things long after they have started playing.

Update! The above is the intended single player experience. However it will be possible to have a single player game without connecting to the galaxy server. You won't get the features of the evolving galaxy (although we will investigate minimising those differences) and you probably won't be able to sync between server and non-server (again we'll investigate).

Last updated: Tue, Dec 11 2012 9:56 AM +00:00
    and that's what they said in the sales pitch about it

Registered+
    Thanks

Angry Re: Elite: Dangerous refunds now being judged case-by-case

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    As I understood it, there is a single-player mode, where you don't interact with other 'real' players, but set in an evolving galaxy which does evolve according to the actions of other 'real' players.

So there's sort-of a single player mode, but one that does require light online connectivity.
    This does not satisfy the kickstarter pledge and certainly makes the game impossible to play without a fast connection to a server, If you like me remember the old dialup days of everquest where 700 players maxed out the Host. Things may be better but a lot of old hands do not play MMO because of security issues, extra costs, metering, updates which render your PC graphics/OS obsolete, lag, updates, game rebalancing and as others point out, clans hogging the best trade routes, resources and spawn points. Single player may just means you do not get attacked by PK players and most if not all players of the original Elite series were happy with random and leveled missions which required a 'finished' game product to work - MMO's are never finished . If I wanted to play an EVE online copy, I would play EVE online.

There is no single player offline mode but as yet there is no single player online mode either, which was released on the Alpha only. We have to wait until the 16th December for the game, single player presently has been withdrawn with the Alpha. I will be reading your reviews with interest and one day in a few years a version may be released with the Platinum edition if anyone cares.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KendrickDM View Post
    ..... I will be reading your reviews with interest ....
    Having quoted me and said that, I ought to clarify, you won't be reading my reviews. I don't write for HEXUS, and so far, never have. For loads of other publications, yes, but even then, very rarely game reviews.

As for whether it met the original Kickstarter pledge, dunno, I don't remember the fine detail. But I certainly wouldn't dispute what you said. And yup, I remember those days.

Registered+
    Thanks

Having quoted me and said that, I ought to clarify, you won't be reading my reviews. I don't write for HEXUS, and so far, never have. For loads of other publications, yes, but even then, very rarely game reviews.
    Post December 16th there will be at least one member of Hexus or its board monitors who has bought the game or at least knows someone who has and will be popping round to take a peek in the same way Duke Nukem Forever was reviewed, it has only been 19 years - 20 if there is a slight delay, a lot of the most accurate reviews were on the boards.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

The machines I use for gaming don't have a net connection at all, and for security reasons, I'm not changing that, just for a game.
    Your call entirely and I respect that.

However it will be possible to have a single player game without connecting to the galaxy server. You won't get the features of the evolving galaxy (although we will investigate minimising those differences) and you probably won't be able to sync between server and non-server (again we'll investigate).
    So it would be (and still is) perfectly *possible* to have offline play... but it wasn't actually promised and was merely something they were looking into.

I still think people read too much into this and got themselves overhyped about it, resulting in this being blown out of proportion. I also think FD could perhaps have made this a bit clearer and highlighted it for everyone.

certainly makes the game impossible to play without a fast connection to a server,
    Define fast.
    I play just fine in both single and multiplayer, with only a 0.5Mbps internet connection... Given the national average is now 18-20Mbps and I have only 2.5% of that, I think you'll be fine.

There is no single player offline mode but as yet there is no single player online mode either,
    What have I been playing, then?
    I'm online, connected to the game server, but do not encounter other players.

single player presently has been withdrawn with the Alpha.
    We've finished the Alpha, done the Beta and are now on Gamma.
    Single Player Online has been present all the way through.

Registered+
    Thanks

@ Taskmaster

If what you say is true then the Frontier Developments elite newsletter has been lying for quite some time

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

If what you say is true then the Frontier Developments elite newsletter has been lying for quite some time
    What, about there being no online single-player?
    It's right there with thousands of people playing it and always has been.

Registered+
    Thanks

What, about there being no online single-player?
    It's right there with thousands of people playing it and always has been.
    They are (or were)playing the Alpha, and from your ultra sensitive comments on the entire subject I strongly suspect you are either involved in Frontier Developments or have a small fortune riding in the company, becoming a Alpha, Beta and Gamma player must really have set you back nearly £200 on a game a year late. And you still have to purchase the finished game yet - at the moment to continue playing until December 16th you have to be a Beta backer and have paid extra.

I do not like the nature of your trolling leaving out the bit where Braben has not finished his game and still requires punters to dip in the extra coin - again I believe you are in some way pushing the game for your own interests, when it is in the interest of the public to wait untill after publication on December 16th, after Hexus gives the game a thorough review.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

and from your ultra sensitive comments on the entire subject I strongly suspect you are either involved in Frontier Developments or have a small fortune riding in the company,
    Point 1 - I work in civil engineering. I'm not paid enough to have a small fortune in ANYTHING!!

Point 2 - Let me tell you *exactly* where I am in all this...

I bought into the Star Citizen pledge, currently owning an Aurora and a 300i. I'm a Golden Ticket holder, which means I was an early-ish backer back when they first began this. As time went on, we started getting the Hangar Module, then the DFM, then the Racing Module - I began to find I was liking the direction of Star Citizen less and less.

In parallel with this, a friend of mine was an early backer for Elite. I'd been hearing a few bits about it and he was playing the Alpha. I popped round one day, watched him play for a bit and then had a go myself. After an hour of playtime, I was sold on it being a great game, but thought I'd wait and enjoy being amazed by the fully finished game... I then got impatient and decided to hop in.

The game was a Beta stage by this time and cost £50 to join. I do occasional work for my friend (he's a mechanic by trade), so I did a couple of days helping him out, he bought me the pre-order Mercenary Edition and I paid the remaining £15 to get the Beta access.

That's ONE payment only and the only one I've made so far. To my knowledge, those who bought into Alpha access also got Beta, Gamma and the pre-order deal all for that same one price.
    I certainly will automatically have a copy of the game on release day, along with the extras explained, and DO NOT still have to purchase the game on the 16th - Kinda the point of a pre-order, really!!

I do not like the nature of your trolling leaving out the bit where Braben has not finished his game
    Where have I been trolling, exactly?
    I'm discussing the topic at hand - That is, I'm considering the points raised, debating and challenging some of them, offering my thusly considered opinions on them, sharing information and generally having some enjoyable, interesting and engaging conversation with my fellow forum-dwellers.

Where is the trolling in that?

again I believe you are in some way pushing the game for your own interests
    Well yeah - I want to play it and I want as many other people to enjoy it as care to. Beyond that, no... no especial interests.

when it is in the interest of the public to wait untill after publication on December 16th, after Hexus gives the game a thorough review.
    If that were the only way to do things, games like this would never even get funding in the fist place!!

As is, the only reviews I ever care about are those of my friends and of the regular, normal players such as those you find discussing it in internet forums... kinda like this one. Respect to the various publications, but I haven't paid attention to a magazine or otherwise professional review of a game (or indeed anything, much) since the days of Your Sinclair magazine!!

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Post December 16th there will be at least one member of Hexus or its board monitors who has bought the game or at least knows someone who has and will be popping round to take a peek in the same way Duke Nukem Forever was reviewed, it has only been 19 years - 20 if there is a slight delay, a lot of the most accurate reviews were on the boards.
    Oh, very likely. It was just quoting me and referring to reading "your" review. I've regularly had people misinterpret the 'forum admin' thing as meaning I work for HEXUS. I don't .... though DR & I have talked about it from time to time. I was just making sure the distinction was clear.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

So it would be (and still is) perfectly *possible* to have offline play... but it wasn't actually promised and was merely something they were looking into it.
    Well, David Braben said
    Galaxy, story, missions, have to match, and it does mean the single player has to connect to the server from time to time, but this has the added advantage that everyone can participate in the activities that can happen in the galaxy..... A fully offline experience would be unacceptably limited and static compared to the dynamic, ever unfolding experience we are delivering.
    Maybe I'm misreading it, but that sounds like "no offline single-player mode" to me.

As to what was "promused", dunno, but it certainly felt implied, at the least, to me.

Registered+
    Thanks

Oh, very likely. It was just quoting me and referring to reading "your" review. I've regularly had people misinterpret the 'forum admin' thing as meaning I work for HEXUS. I don't .... though DR & I have talked about it from time to time. I was just making sure the distinction was clear.
    It is alright, I believe you are a trused person with their own opinion in charge of the forum otherwise you would not have the job, you also have your own opinion which has been expressed quite well.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information