Thread: Qualcomm to challenge Intel's datacentre and server dominance

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Qualcomm to challenge Intel's datacentre and server dominance

Believes it can do it cheaper and with less power consumption.
    Read more.

Sprouts are not food Attila the Bun's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Attila the Bun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K with H100i cooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB CORSAIR Vengence 1600
      • Storage:
      • 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO / 256GB Samsung 830 / 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS RADEON 7970 CU II TOP
      • PSU:
      • 650w EVGA Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V359
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro / Win 8(laptop)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Various
      • Internet:
      • 16mb down, 1mb up

Re: Qualcomm to challenge Intel's datacentre and server dominance

I've said it before and I'll say it again (just in case an ARM designer is watching) I wish ARM would design an enthusiast level chip...if they could get near, lets say, i7 perfomance I for one would looking at a whole new build.
    Of course I'm perfect you just need to lower your expectations.

Registered+
    Thanks

No Windows Server = No go.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Attila the Bun View Post
    I've said it before and I'll say it again (just in case an ARM designer is watching) I wish ARM would design an enthusiast level chip...if they could get near, lets say, i7 perfomance I for one would looking at a whole new build.
    I can't imagine many people being interested in an ARM based OS with a chip as powerful as an i7. You're looking at Linux (and variants) and Windows RT. With specific applications for each.

ARM does not run x86 code well....
    Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    And by trying to force me to like small pants, they've alienated me.

Sprouts are not food Attila the Bun's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Attila the Bun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K with H100i cooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB CORSAIR Vengence 1600
      • Storage:
      • 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO / 256GB Samsung 830 / 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS RADEON 7970 CU II TOP
      • PSU:
      • 650w EVGA Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V359
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro / Win 8(laptop)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Various
      • Internet:
      • 16mb down, 1mb up

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    I can't imagine many people being interested in an ARM based OS with a chip as powerful as an i7. You're looking at Linux (and variants) and Windows RT. With specific applications for each.

I do appreciate that...I'm just wanting an alternative to Intel to be honest and ARM are producing the goods albeit at the mobile end of the market and it would be nice to have a bit of competition at the top end.

Like a lot of people on here, I would like to see a new AMD high end chip with a lower power/heat to performance signature than is currently on offer. Not because I have any particular gripe with Intel or any particular bias towards AMD, but when I joined HEXUS it was because I wanted to build my own computer and this site was a great place to discuss the pros and cons of this chip and that chip. I originally was going for an i7 920 with a HD5770 but following informed advice and research I ended up with the Phenom 965BE and a HD5850 because it was the best combination for me and at a much lower price than going the Intel route..it is a decision I have not regretted because the 965 has been a solid, if stubbornly un-overclockable, performer. However, after 4 years, I find with all my component upgrades I have a CPU which is the bottleneck and I don't really have much choice in which path I take. Yes, the current top end AMD CPUs are better than mine but not enough to warrant a complete CPU/Motherboard replacement given the financial outlay.

In a nutshell I want a better choice, hence my somewhat terse first post.
    Of course I'm perfect you just need to lower your expectations.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post

I do appreciate that...I'm just wanting an alternative to Intel to be honest and ARM are producing the goods albeit at the mobile end of the market and it would be nice to have a bit of competition at the top end.

Like a lot of people on here, I would like to see a new AMD high end chip with a lower power/heat to performance signature than is currently on offer. Not because I have any particular gripe with Intel or any particular bias towards AMD, but when I joined HEXUS it was because I wanted to build my own computer and this site was a great place to discuss the pros and cons of this chip and that chip. I originally was going for an i7 920 with a HD5770 but following informed advice and research I ended up with the Phenom 965BE and a HD5850 because it was the best combination for me and at a much lower price than going the Intel route..it is a decision I have not regretted because the 965 has been a solid, if stubbornly un-overclockable, performer. However, after 4 years, I find with all my component upgrades I have a CPU which is the bottleneck and I don't really have much choice in which path I take. Yes, the current top end AMD CPUs are better than mine but not enough to warrant a complete CPU/Motherboard replacement given the financial outlay.

In a nutshell I want a better choice, hence my somewhat terse first post.
    Seem like FX-8320/8350 would be the upgrade?

Considering I guess you'd only have to exchange the processor it's not all that awful. I guess.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Denis_iii View Post
    No Windows Server = No go.
    Trying to be funny? You do know that Linux rules for servers? And Linux works with ARM chips just like "that"[snap]? If they offer equal or better performance at the lower price and equal or better power consumption at the lower price there's no way anything can stop ARM from being a success.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

I've said it before and I'll say it again (just in case an ARM designer is watching) I wish ARM would design an enthusiast level chip...if they could get near, lets say, i7 performance I for one would looking at a whole new build.
    ARM whole business is entirely geared towards low power and efficiency so they'd have to throw out much of their prior work and start over to create something with an i7 performance profile, it's really not what they're about and it would be a REALLY tough market to enter. AMD already have something vaguely competitive and struggle to get double digit market share. Intel are the clear market leader for desktop and commodity server CPUs, they have process technology leadership and a big R&D budget - you'd need billions to burn up just to get competitive product out there, never mind persuade people to buy it. In short there is no way any other company will have a crack, there just isn't a profit to be had, instead the ARM ecosystem is trying (with reasonable success) to bring consumer spending away from the type of devices in which Intel are so dominant and get them onto devices like tablets and smartphones where they can compete and make profit.

Super Nerd
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SineWave View Post
    Trying to be funny? You do know that Linux rules for servers? And Linux works with ARM chips just like "that"[snap]? If they offer equal or better performance at the lower price and equal or better power consumption at the lower price there's no way anything can stop ARM from being a success.
    Linux only rules for servers if your application runs on Linux. There are a lot of Windows servers out there (32.6% of internet facing servers according to W3Techs - and that doesn't count all the AD and internal servers out there), non x86 server CPUs are thus at a distinct disadvantage because a large percentage of the market is basically off limits.

Thanks

We don't need another US high tech company. Go mediatek if you ask me.

Thread Information