Thread: Ubisoft says that early reviews of The Crew won't be accurate

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Ubisoft says that early reviews of The Crew won't be accurate

The game launches on PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Xbox 360 and PC on 2nd December.
    Read more.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Re: Ubisoft says that early reviews of The Crew won't be accurate

I was in the beta, while it didn't seem to suffer from the usual UBIsoft "bodge it and scarper" bug-riddenness of late, I found the game to be very underwhelming.

And no, I didn't spend 30-40 hours playing it.....and if i need to spend 30-40 hours before I can start enjoying it, the game is fundamentally flawed beyond belief.

What happened to the old UBI? The days of Zombi and Surf City.....
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

A while back I was keen to give this a go, especially given that it should have been an accumulation of learnings from TDU(/2).
    But then I saw it was Ubisoft and then I saw how much Ubisoft prioritizes getting to market before Christmas in literally any state rather than making a good game.
    I'll wait for it to be fixed and a sensible price before even looking at it.
    If it has as many corners cut as I suspect it might, then maybe I'll miss it altogether.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    And no, I didn't spend 30-40 hours playing it.....and if i need to spend 30-40 hours before I can start enjoying it, the game is fundamentally flawed beyond belief.
    This is exactly how I feel. I would be prepared to give a game 2 or maybe 3 separate 2-3 hour sessions to see if it suits me. Trying to get me to plunge that much time into a game is a proper joke, for that reason alone, I'm out.

Ubisoft desperately need to sack their PR department and get some new people in.

Thanks

So they're saying it's not fun to play, but eventually you get used to that.

Well, gosh, I'll take two copies.

6. Received thanks from:

TaintedShirt (26-11-2014)

Thanks
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

This is such a load of nonsense. Any professional reviewer who looks at this game is going to allow for the fact that certain key elements of the experience will be very different when the game world is full of thousands of players. You simply are not going to get reviews that say 'it was rubbish because there weren't enough players'.

What you will get is reviewers making a judgement on the gameplay mechanics, visuals, world design, UI etc. as to whether the game will be worth playing once it goes live and the servers start fill up with players.

By making this statement, Ubisoft are either being massively patronising to all professional reviewers, or are trying to fool people into ignoring reviewers' valid concerns about core gameplay elements by writing it off as something that will magically go away just because there are more players online.
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

my Hexus.Trust

ZaO

I played the closed beta a fair bit. The map is huge in this game. I think it took me half an hour to drive accross less than half of it. I think having a big map like this could be really fun with a friend (unfortuneately I only played it solo). You could just have a laugh talking on the journey, maybe have a couple fun escapes from the police on the way.. But the handling is a bit too simplistic/arcadey. I don't usually find that a bad thing in a game like this. But those long drives can get really boring when you can pretty much master the driving mechanics within a matter of minutes. But you probably don't want super realistic driving mechanics when you're trying to drive really fast, weaving in and out of cars etc.. And driving is literally all you'll be doing in this game. So yeh - the driving mechanics need to be more indepth! As for bugs - I never experienced any to my knowledge. But it's not like the world of this game is anywhere as near as complex as AC, for example.

Anyway - it's open beta now, so you might as well give it a go I think I might pick this up if I end up having someone to play it with. I think it might be a bit boring solo, though..

Registered+
    Thanks

Ubisoft are just readying up the excuses

Registered+
    Thanks

as with most ubisoft titles from the last few years - I'll just wait until it's retail release and patches before reading/watching reviews and making an informed decision - it's Ubi... beware

ZaO

I've actually become extremely wary of Ubisoft now. I'm really seeing a pattern in what they do - Review embargos that aren't lifted until many hours after the game's release, to ensure those preorders don't get cancelled. These terribly optimised games coming out with some pretty bad bugs that are very commonly seen, and should've been noticed in testing.. As Jim Sterling puts it - A publisher that has confidence in it's games just wouldn't do that! It absolutely does show a lack of confidence in what they're putting out when you think about it. Such a shame. It looks like EA are starting to win gamers back a bit, while Ubi didn't learn from EA's mistakes, and falling down the same slippery slope of greed..

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

It's not universal though - they are still putting out some gems:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...f-light-review

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    It's not universal though - they are still putting out some gems:
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...f-light-review
    Yes, Ubi still put out some great games. I've heard a lot of praise about Child Of Light. But I guess a little game like that isn't prone to as many problems.. In fact, I actually think the majority of their games are great! I always get excited to see new games from Ubisoft But, they're becoming well known for putting out unfinished and poorly optimised games. They're their own worst enemy. Shame they don't just take another year to develop and test games. They're clearly being rushed out. How the hell can something like Assassins creed become a yearly game without these issues.. These games clearly need more time to develop. Either that, or they get even more teams working on them in rotation. I reckon the latter is their goal. But they haven't quite nailed it yet.

I don't want to bad mouth Ubi. I want to see them put out awesome games that run well. But they're not looking too hot right now..

Registered+
    Thanks

I just hope that this is the game that is worth the bundle going with the new Maxwell GPUs.
    May play safe and wait for TB's thought on it, bloke's a nice one.

Thread Information