Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: What did you buy on Black Friday?

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: QOTW: What did you buy on Black Friday?

My view, not dissimilar to many expressed above, it's pure hype.

It's also designed to allow retailers to shift a good chunk of 'Christmas' stock at 20% off now, rather than 50% off in Boxing Day sales, because consumers (finally) wised up to post-Xmas sales and started waiting, not buying before.

Sure, they'll be a few genuinely decent deals, but few stunning bargains, merely those needed to fuel the hype and generate the publicity.

What did I buy? I got precisely what I went looking for.

Registered+
    Thanks

Not a damn thing. I'm not some trained seal who goes shopping because someone tells me to.
    A man must have code -Bunk

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

I tried to buy some dignity but it seemed there was none available at any store open for black Friday

4. Received thanks from:

kompukare (29-11-2014),Saracen (29-11-2014)

Thanks

i got one of the 7" windows tablets for £60. i was planning on getting the 10" model as it had 2gb of ram instead of 1gb as i thought £160 was a good deal. i was just waiting on people getting them to see the reviews, but with the 7" model being £100 less, and literally less money than i spent on a round of drinks last friday, i got that instead. i was planning on giving tablets to one or two people for xmas, to which i'd need to set it up for them, so i'll give it a go and if i don't like it i can gift it or if i want the 10" i can buy that and gift this

i also picked up a few cheap bottles of champaigne from tesco the last couple of days. £8 a pop. i have plenty of parties coming up soon so this is perfect for them, plus friends coming over at xmas

bought nothing i wasn't planning on getting. i also got a laptop stand i had forgotten about in my ebay watch list which i need for next week so the tablet reminded me about that

i think the black friday over here is a good idea if it means good deals and sales before xmas as you can pick up some bargains. it's generally good for the economy if people go shopping and spend money as a result of it

as for all the anti america crap, i don't give a **** about any of that. i think it's ridiculous that people get upset about americanization of words and tv shows etc. especially when they forget about all the other influences from other countries. the world and society we live in today is a global one. the computers people use to post this stuff are usually made from bits from other companies, and running software written in america

if you don't like black friday, you don't need to buy anything from it. likewise if you don't like xmas, easter or anything else, just don't participate. leave everyone else to get on with it. there are plenty of other things that don't interest me, but i don't moan about them, i just let people get on with it and get one with what i want to do instead

in saying that, the fighting over tv's in supermarkets is ridiculous, as is sales at next that open at 3am, or midnight openings to sell computer games and stuff. it's like the owners of next have a dislike of their customers to make then line up outside in the middle of winter overnight to buy clothing at "half price" that cost half the price they were selling it for in the sale to make in china or wherever by children and folk in sweat shops. if a shirt is 70% off in a sale it's usually because it's hideous and no-one wants to buy it, but if it makes you happy, go ahead and buy it

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Unique View Post

as for all the anti america crap, i don't give a **** about any of that. i think it's ridiculous that people get upset about americanization of words and tv shows etc. especially when they forget about all the other influences from other countries. the world and society we live in today is a global one. the computers people use to post this stuff are usually made from bits from other companies, and running software written in america

if you don't like black friday, you don't need to buy anything from it. likewise if you don't like xmas, easter or anything else, just don't participate. leave everyone else to get on with it. there are plenty of other things that don't interest me, but i don't moan about them, i just let people get on with it and get one with what i want to do instead

Well, you moaned about people moaning about it, instead of just letting them get on with it.

It's a forum. It's for people to post their views. It's not just for people to say what they like, but also, if they feel inclined to do so, what they don't like.

Clearly, lots of people don't like Black Friday, and are entitled to say so, just as LOTS of people don't like certain other aspects of American 'culture' ... like trick or treat. And they're welcome to express that view, too.

7. Received thanks from:

McEwin (02-12-2014)

Thanks

bought sod all

Thanks
    • alpha channel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 3900X
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (16GBx4) 3200MHz Corsair Vengance
      • Storage:
      • 6.25TB (Seagate x2+1TBx2 Sabrent Rocket nVME PCIe 4+3, 240GB Sandisk Extreme SSD as cache)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750W
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster SL600M black
      • Operating System:
      • Win10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP LP2475w, Samsung 215tw & Samsung 941BW
      • Internet:
      • 32Mb/s

A cheap Canon compact to keep in the car, always handy for various things, got a £10 refund as it went back up for less, but it's no longer going in the car, now a chrimbo pressie for ma n' pa as they just want a point and press one whose batteries last more than five minutes.

Other than that stuck a pre-order in for a 27" LG ColourPrime Professional monitor at overclockers (doesn't look too bad for £275-ish), assuming I get one anyway... I've noticed my screen's back light dip occasionally so I'd rather get in now before it goes nipples skyward permanently.

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

As with many on this thread, nothing at all, and I agree with Saracen about it being pure hype.

Sadly it appears from the News that some people have been sucked in and are willing to act ridiculous in order to grab what they see as a bargain. If there had been something that I wanted anyway and that was at a price I found worth buying, I certainly wouldn't have ventured in-store for that reason.

Instead I would only order online for delivery (if available via that method, otherwise I'd prefer to go without).

Thanks
    • csgohan4's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97 Gaming 9 AC
      • CPU:
      • I7 4770K with Noctua-D15
      • Memory:
      • G SKILL 2400Mhz 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 Evo 500 GB| Seagate 1TB + 1.5TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 780 ACX
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX 860
      • Case:
      • HAF X with NF-S12B FLX, TY-140, X4 Coolermaster Megaflow 200mm and Demciflex Dust Flters
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 24inch LCD W2468L
      • Internet:
      • Sky Fibre Unlimited with Asus DSL N66U

never as good as boxing day sales
    Trust Profile HEXUS Forum FAQ and Colour coding/Post Count awards

'The Fox is cunning and relentless, and has got his Fibre Optic Broadband'

Thanks
    • Kanoe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II
      • CPU:
      • Intel 7960X (4.4GHZ All Core)
      • Memory:
      • 64GB Corsair Vengeance PRO (8 x 8GB) 3200
      • Storage:
      • 1x 2TB M.2, 2x 1TB M.2, 960GB SSD, 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nvidia 3080 FE (1965MHz @906mV +1500 VRAM)
      • PSU:
      • Superflower 1200W
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Enthoo Primo v2
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 28" Gigabyte M28U 4k + 24" Dell U2412M
      • Internet:
      • Zen 1 Gig Fibre

A 4k monitor. Was looking to get one anyway. Agreed, most of the stuff was rubbish and most of the sites couldn't cope. Missus got a Jawbone Up, she's wanted one for ages and it was on offer. The other thing she got was a new phone. OnePlus One black Friday was to remove the need for an invite rather than discount on the product.

It does bring out the worst aspects of humanity in people, greed and selfishness. To see people willing to fight each other for crappy make TV's really showcases everything wrong with this world.

I have to say that even though I was there at midnight in a Tesco's store I'm glad I took one look at the scene and walked away from it. Did my weekly shopping instead.
    Last edited by Kanoe; 29-11-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Well, you moaned about people moaning about it, instead of just letting them get on with it.

It's a forum. It's for people to post their views. It's not just for people to say what they like, but also, if they feel inclined to do so, what they don't like.

Clearly, lots of people don't like Black Friday, and are entitled to say so, just as LOTS of people don't like certain other aspects of American 'culture' ... like trick or treat. And they're welcome to express that view, too.
    i do leave them to get on with it. it's not my problem. it's just ridiculous people getting bothered over something they don't need to. that is my opinion. i don't get bothered by theirs. it's the same with people being bothered with trick or treat or halloween or whatever. why care? it's for kids. participate or not, no-one forces you to have to do any of it, so why get worked up about it? the origins of many traditions are from other countries in the first place and started at some point in history, and changed through history. trick or treat or black friday is just another. disliking stuff like that is just irrational and pointless. it's like stitting watching a tv show you hate and moaning all the way through it when you can change the channel or turn off. i don't like sports but i don't moan about it, i just change the channel or ignore it and look for something i am interested in instead. it's the same with black friday, don't buy or click the links if you don't like it. why bother participating on a thread asking what you bought on black friday if you don't like black friday? i don't post on threads about the world cup saying i hate football. i'm not even moaning about people who dislike black friday, just commenting on it as those people don't bother me as there is no reason to. there's surely far more concerning things to get bothered and moan about. what's next, people moaning on a similar thread at xmas asking what presents you got, saying you hate xmas?

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Picked up Alien: Isolation at about half price. Is even supposed to be the Nostromo Edition. Other than that a couple of cheap BDs (Battlestar Galactica complete, Indiana Jones box and a few others).

When I say "picked up" I actually meant bought and paid for online. Will be a few days before I have my purchases in my hands.

Thanks
    • Knoxville's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel X58
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 920
      • Memory:
      • 2GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ATi HD3450
      • PSU:
      • Generic
      • Case:
      • Cheap and nasty
      • Operating System:
      • Vista 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" LG LCD
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 20mb

I did all my Black Friday shopping online at half six in the morning, by which I mean I bought the one thing that interested me (a Peavy 700w bass amplifier) out of the dozens of emails I recieved because it was the right price at the right time and I needed one.

I made the mistake of popping into Sainsburys later in the day and was really pleased I hadn't bothered as I watched some insane woman screaming for a manager and using the words "trading standards" as if they were some kind of mythical overlord put in place to ensure she got the dozen "bargain" kindles she wanted despite the one per customer limit. Capitalism's an ugly business all told!

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

I got loads, 2 black eyes, sore knuckles, bruised ribs and half a cardboard box that used to cover a Tesco TV

in all seriousness though, avoided like the plague, keeping an eye on Amazon for deals, was very tempted by the 1TB SSD but they were gone before i could make my mind up. not too fussed about anything atm, got everything i need.
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by Dareos View Post
    I got loads, 2 black eyes, sore knuckles, bruised ribs and half a cardboard box that used to cover a Tesco TV

in all seriousness though, avoided like the plague, keeping an eye on Amazon for deals, was very tempted by the 1TB SSD but they were gone before i could make my mind up. not too fussed about anything atm, got everything i need.
    I feel the need to ask: What was that 1 TB SSD priced at and which model are we talking about?

Thanks
    • Dareos's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77 - UD3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 Ivy Bridge
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M4 128GB, Seagate Barracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Geforce 670 OC Windforce x 2
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 1050 Modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal R3
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" DGM and 40" Samsung TV
      • Internet:
      • 152 Mb Virgin

Samsung 840 i believe, £249 iirc. I dont really have a need atm and I reckon tehy will fall further by the time I do.
    We're only here for the Banter - The Luvvies - Chewin' The Fat

Violence and Lubrication is the solution to fixing everything, if it still doesn't work, you need more lubrication.

Quote Originally Posted by this_is_gav View Post
    How do you change the height of them?

I've just had a quick fiddle with the knob at the front :\

19. Received thanks from:

azrael- (02-12-2014)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information