• UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • NOT USUALLY ON....WHEN I POST
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Re: Nvidia pulls away from AMD in graphics card market share

Also,I think this is one of the worst articles I have seen in years from Hexus - honestly did no one bother to read the fact that a Nvidia investor is pumping Nvidia over AMD. Really??

The rest of the article would be fine if it were not for a Nvidia stock holder chiming in. It would be as bad as an article with an AMD stock holder saying Nvidia is going to be screwed over.

I seem to remember a lack of Hexus posting Nvidia is doomed to die INVESTMENT articles when they had nothing to compete with AMD for six to nine months during HD5000 series launch and they lost marketshare especially in mobile(Nvidia went from 65% of the market to just over 50% of the market within a quarter at one point). They even dropped a million cards in sales in the period between the launch of the HD7000 series and the first Kepler cards(according to sales figures).

Now I am starting to see the problem AMD has - whenever Nvidia gets one up on them,the tech media seems to overdo the hype for them,and underdo any problems the company has.

Things like the bumps problems which cost Nvidia nearly $250 million,and years of litigation or even the issues with stock cooler throttling on some of the Kepler cards which some European websites covered,but most of the English language tech media seemed to massively underhype it for some strange reason.

Even look at a big tech site like TPU - who gleefully said AMD was f**ked(yep,they actually said that). with the GTX980 launch,but never said the same amount Nvidia being f**ked with various launches like the HD5870 or GTX480.

Its almost an Apple effect at times!
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 12-12-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    "People can come up with statistics to prove anything. 40% of all people know that." That being said, nVidia does seem to have superior offerings to AMD these days. I'm mainly thinking performance per Watt, power usage, heat and noise. AMD graphics cards are no slouches, though.
    That's a pretty accurate summation. I'm running a 7970 at the moment (which replaced a 460) and it's a decent enough graphics engine. That said, if you offered me a swap for a 970 then I'd take it without much need for thought.
    I won't write AMD off unless next year's R3's turn out to be lemons - which given AMD/ATi's experience I don't think likely. Wet-finger-in-the-air they'll match 970/980, maybe even beat them a little, but will be cheaper but thirstier, hotter and noisier. That said, I remember (not so long ago even) ATi being praised for their quiet cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Insofin View Post
    To be honest, I don't care if A graphics card has better specs than B. I will always choose Nvidia graphics card. I bought one AMD once, and it sucked so hard, I still regret buying it as of today. I had so many problems, I ended up going back to my old 9500GT. As I always have a budget limit, I will choose the best Nvidia card I can buy. I don't care if the AMD equivalent is better or is a step better than the Nvidia. They suck and I will never buy them again.
    That's a pretty prejudiced/jaundiced point of view - and before you write me off as an AMD "commie", my current AMD graphics card is my first, I've been NVidia-loyal up until now - and that's going back to Riva TNT days, (might have been before then too - but I can't remember what config I had nearly 20 years ago).
    Ever thought that your particular card could have been a "Friday afternoon" one - i.e. a bad card? I can tell some horror stories about bad Geforce driver installs - one was so bad that I eventually ended up reinstalling the OS. But, as I've said above, it's not put me off NVidia - I'll place my trust with whomever has the best "value proposition", i.e. the best performance for the money I've got available.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    KDE > Gnome
    (This is far more fun than Nvidia vs AMD, it should have its own "Ninjas > Pirates" thread )
    GUI's are for WIMPS (acronym pun time) - if it ain't got a command line then it's only a toy OS! And, to me at least, life's too short to learn Emacs, (plus I don't do "finger-Twister"). Time for Fedora v's Ubuntu, or Perl v's Python? (As you say, more fun than a "green v's red" fanboy slagging match...)

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    That's a pretty prejudiced/jaundiced point of view - and before you write me off as an AMD "commie", my current AMD graphics card is my first, I've been NVidia-loyal up until now - and that's going back to Riva TNT days, (might have been before then too - but I can't remember what config I had nearly 20 years ago).
    Ever thought that your particular card could have been a "Friday afternoon" one - i.e. a bad card? I can tell some horror stories about bad Geforce driver installs - one was so bad that I eventually ended up reinstalling the OS. But, as I've said above, it's not put me off NVidia - I'll place my trust with whomever has the best "value proposition", i.e. the best performance for the money I've got available.
    Its the Apple effect - when the tech media underhyped the $100 of millions of problems Nvidia had with faulty chips what do you expect?? I still remember the 20+ people(or in organisations including academia) I had to inform about the problem so they could push to get replacements for their devices,instead of being palmed off by various companies. I hardly knew anyone who realised the issue with their laptops was due to a design fault with the Nvidia chips.

Plus look at the whole Nvidia Focus Group thing - zero hype by the tech media. Nvidia were having marketing people on forums astroturfing for years pretending to normal posters- yet did anyone of them do any kind of expose about the extent it was happening?? No.

It all started around the time of the ATi 9500/9700 series launch,when Nvidia had the terribad FX series. Yet look at how well,the marketing worked. The 9500/9700 are now thought of as having good hardware but crap drivers - yet the Nvidia FX series had crap hardware and had loads of issues due to their weird DX9 implementation which was by far worse overall.

These people were on tech forums,comments sections of articles and even investment sites IIRC.

Going back to Apple- there were issues with loads of the eMacs in academia which had capacitor problems - Apple made an advisory which the tech media underhyped.

It meant that potentially 100s of thousands of pounds(or even more) of public money probably was wasted by labs and academic institutions dumping eMacs which stopped working instead of getting them repaired for free and instead spending funds on replacing them with things like G5 Macs.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 11-12-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Ever thought that your particular card could have been a "Friday afternoon" one - i.e. a bad card? I can tell some horror stories about bad Geforce driver installs - one was so bad that I eventually ended up reinstalling the OS.
    People do get set in their ways though. Remember the time when you basically had to install a different Nvidia driver depending on which game you wanted to play because the bugs kept coming and gong so fast? My wife does, which is why she has a 260X.

I remember the issues with awful stability and z buffer issues in the first ATI card I had, but I also remember that it was a long time ago and ignore it.

GUI's are for WIMPS (acronym pun time) - if it ain't got a command line then it's only a toy OS! And, to me at least, life's too short to learn Emacs, (plus I don't do "finger-Twister"). Time for Fedora v's Ubuntu, or Perl v's Python? (As you say, more fun than a "green v's red" fanboy slagging match...)
    One of the things I like in Fedora is that the desktop right-click menu has an "open shell" option which makes it so easy to bring up yet another command line. The command bar says I currently have 12 open, along with 11 gvim windows because clearly VI > emacs

Oh, shouldn't that be "Python > Ruby" for best "light the blue touchpaper and stand well back" effect?
    Last edited by DanceswithUnix; 11-12-2014 at 10:59 AM.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Seeing so much AMD hate I feel the need to throw in my 2 pence worth. Personally I like AMD(ATI) - ~70% of my GPUs have been theirs and about ~30% of my CPUs. I recently got a £300 laptop with AMD dual graphics (APU+low end GPU) and its not bad (punches above its weight graphically compared to anything else at that price point although the A8 CPU is slow and HOT!). Personally I really hope this is just investment hyperbole as mentioned as it'll do no one any good if AMD disappear.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks
    • kopite's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5 2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600 MHz Corsair Memory Vengeance Black
      • Storage:
      • 128GB Crucial m4 for main drive. 3.5 TB of storage space over western Digital Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte NVIDIA GTX 970 G1 Gaming Edition
      • PSU:
      • 750W ANTEC TRUEPOWER
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1 x 27 inch dell Monitor 1 x 20 inch Dell monitor
      • Internet:
      • Virgin media 150MB

I've always been an amd fanboi but will be going nvidia for my next card.

Out of the current crop of cards on the market it really is a no brainer at my price point(300) to go anything other than 970.

Thanks

One of the things I like in Fedora is that the desktop right-click menu has an "open shell" option which makes it so easy to bring up yet another command line. The command bar says I currently have 12 open, along with 11 gvim windows because clearly VI > emacs

Oh, shouldn't that be "Python > Ruby" for best "light the blue touchpaper and stand well back" effect?
    Debian > RHEL
    vim-nox > ?
    ipfw>pf
    >Unity
    and of course, I agree that Gnome 2 > Gnome 3

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

People do get set in their ways though. Remember the time when you basically had to install a different Nvidia driver depending on which game you wanted to play because the bugs kept coming and gong so fast? My wife does, which is why she has a 260X. I remember the issues with awful stability and z buffer issues in the first ATI card I had, but I also remember that it was a long time ago and ignore it.
    Hmm, yes, at the moment AMD's graphics drivers are less annoying than the NVidia ones - but that's only because the latter seems to need a reboot, whereas the AMD one doesn't (I did the upgrade to Omega last night and it went completely hassle-free). Just a shame that AMD's Linux drivers have so much scorn poured on them.

Oh, and while I've been an NVidia loyalist on graphics until recently, I've also been AMD loyal when it comes to cpus. Although I suspect that the next iteration of my Windows desktop will be i5/i7 with Geforce.
    12 shells? I kneel in the presence of greatness! That said, my VPN connection just dropped so I'm going to have to re-establish connection to my app cloud.
    Ouch! Actually you've just reminded me that I'd better get that Python3 book ordered from ORA.

By the way, I've got a new one:
    gVim > (windows) Notepad
    But I'm biased. (and Notepad+ is actually pretty good too)

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Just a shame that AMD's Linux drivers have so much scorn poured on them.
    From my occasional personal experience and what I read at places like the Phoronix website, the scorn is quite deserved though.

If I had paid all that money for a 290, I would be gutted to see a 260X out perform it.

12 shells? I kneel in the presence of greatness! That said, my VPN connection just dropped so I'm going to have to re-establish connection to my app cloud.
    lol, it is a dual monitor workstation with 6 virtual desktops. It is easy to rack up lots of editing & testing sessions.

Thanks
    • Smudger's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gbyte GA-970A-UD3P
      • CPU:
      • AMD FX8320 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 2x8G CML16GX3M2A1600C10
      • Storage:
      • 1x240Gb Corsair M500, 2TB TOSHIBA DT01ACA200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX Radeon HD4890 1GB
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX520
      • Case:
      • Akasa Zen
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • Virgin 200Mbit

Iggle Piggle > Upsy Daisy

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... One of the things I like in Fedora is that the desktop right-click menu has an "open shell" option ...
    I remember back in the early days of X right-click on the desktop was the only way to launch anything. I did love my full-screen colour x-terms

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

I'm not saying I put all (or any, for that matter) of my trust in the site - I am saying that, contrary to the original claim, it's NOT a fake news site, and it does get kudos and recommendations from other (mostly) trusted financial sites (I know there are more than a few out there that dislike the WSJ for their political leanings, but ignoring those, it's still the go to site for pretty much all things factual about Wall Street and investing)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Oh goodness - have you seen the amount of sites and forums which have picked up on this now and now are quoting the fool.com as saying AMD is doomed,while not saying the fact it is a Nvidia investor saying it. Awesome Hexus!! :thumbs up!:

In fact why did you need to quote a Nvidia investor - is it so you could make the article more sensationalist like the Daily Mail and get more page hits??

So is Hexus going to start quoting investors from companies now in future articles??

Awesome,let me trundle off and write an article bigging up Apple from an Apple investor...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian224 View Post
    Were fool dot com a newspaper "the writer, an investor in Nvidia stocks" might face censure for talking up his own investments.
    By far the best post in this thread methinks.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 12-12-2014 at 11:07 AM.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Cat, it's click-bait. Hexus are a commercial venture and the more traffic they get, either from article excellence or controversy and resulting discussion, the better. And I think they're quite entitled to report this.. however personally I'd like the headlines changed to appear less a statement of fact and more a reflection of (financially biased, in this case) opinion. Quote marks are often the way that places like the beeb get away with the same.

15. Received thanks from:

CAT-THE-FIFTH (12-12-2014)

Thanks
    • CAT-THE-FIFTH's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Less E-PEEN
      • CPU:
      • Massive E-PEEN
      • Memory:
      • RGB E-PEEN
      • Storage:
      • Not in any order
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVEN BIGGER E-PEEN
      • PSU:
      • OVERSIZED
      • Case:
      • UNDERSIZED
      • Operating System:
      • DOS 6.22
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • FUNCTIONAL

Yes,but it does mean they are just going the way of places like the Daily Mail or some of the other tech tabloids. They can report what they like as its their site,but still its a very poor show that they need to stoop to the level of quoting a person who owns Nvidia stocks and gains to profit from them,if he can big them as much as possible.

IIRC,I think some of the tech sites/journalists in some capacity are involved in giving investment advice,since I picked this up reading though the small print on some sites years ago and going through twitter. Not saying Hexus does any of this,but this is why I have a very meek and untrustful view of articles like this. Its one thing quoting a fact(the JPR numbers) and another thing tagging on some stuff from someone who has vested interests. They might as well just quote Nvidia PR on top of that for added effect,and TBH I could even understand if it was Nvidia PR saying it(its their job after all).

The thing is then it gets repeated through the tech media like a Chinese whisper and then on forums,and ends up causing probably more damage than they think.

I could be wrong but when AMD/ATi was stealing marketshare from Nvidia say a few years ago,was Hexus quoting AMD/ATi investors in their articles?? I don't seem to remember any of that TBH.
    Last edited by CAT-THE-FIFTH; 12-12-2014 at 11:39 AM.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • canopus72's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus sabretooth X58
      • CPU:
      • I7-960
      • Memory:
      • 12GB Kingston HyperX @1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 6TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 560 Ti SOC
      • PSU:
      • coolermaster gold 1200watt
      • Case:
      • CM HAF932
      • Operating System:
      • W7 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 234EL

I cannot give this reviewer 'fool' any credibility. He comes across as a petulant Nvidia fanboy. AMD's success with Sony and MS consoles was not a 'stroke of luck', particularly if you bear in mind what the competition (Nvidia and intel) would have been able to offer at the same performance to price point ratio. Their offerings would have been mediocre and grossly over priced to say the least.

Also, I do think it is absurd to compare the new gen 900 series Nvidia cards against the old gen AMD R9-290/X cards. Of course you would expect the new gen 900 series to out-perform the R9-290/X series. This is not a like for like comparison, yet it does not stop Nvidia fanboys from trolling. Complaint aside, an unbiased comparison (980GTX vs 290X and 295X2) will demonstrate how much of an engineering and performance improvement the 900 series has over the previous gen (780GTX/Ti and 290X).

The 290/X was AMD's reply to the 780GTX and 780Ti and TBH, the 290/X performed pretty damn well against the 700 series. Furthermore, AMD has released the new omega drivers. I have a 295X2 (purchased form overclockers on 'black Friday' for £480) and I have installed the new omega drivers. I am seeing a 15-20% performance improvement (in various benchmarks).

I am going to wait for AMD to release the 380X (which I think is the Captain Jack sample) and see how it does against the 980GTX. This is what I regard as a like for like comparison (new gen Nvidia versus new gen AMD). If the leaked benchmarks are legitimate then Nvidia has got some serious competition brewing. Furthermore, previous Hexus articles have stated that the 980GTX may well end up losing the performance crown to AMD's next gen 380X. So I would not call that 'hot air and hype'.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information