Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Office 2016 desktop suite scheduled for H2 2015

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Microsoft Office 2016 desktop suite scheduled for H2 2015

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    My apologies, ...
    Accepted.

For the record, this is not the first time, on a number of different issues, people have had digs and once ot twice have told me what to post, or not post. It is not funny, and it is offensive.

Also, it's a forum. People, including me, express views. My views on this subject are expressed firmly, but if you read them, you'll also note that it's my stance, and in this example, why a sub model is not going to happen for me. If MS do that, I leave MS just as I dumped Photoshop for this reason. But I also said I understand why other maybe any accept, or even prefer, the sub model. Why anyone should be intimidated to express a contrary view puzzles me. If someone else wants a sub model, by all means say so, and if they want, say why. It's perfectly consistent for someone else to like it and me not to, and just because I'm not buying into it doesn't mean I think others shouldn't.

I note TheAnimus posted in this thread. We've had some very ... robust ... arguments in the past. Sometimes we agree, sometimes not. The same could be said for Santa, and a number of others. They've certainly never been intimidated about disagreeing, nor should they.

Take Win8 MUI. I detest it, and don't use it because of that. Some people like it. I don't think everyone else should agree with me any more than I agree with them.

Why do I express my view often? Because it's a forum, because that's what forums are for, and because it's the only forum I spend any signigicant amounts of time on. And because I felt like it. Also because it wasn't me that raised cloud services in this thread.

Or are you seriously suggesting I have to count how many times a subject has come up before and I've posted before I decide whether to post in a new thread? People reading this thread haven't necessarily read any previous tbreads, so wouldn't have seen anything I, or anyobe else, said.

It's a forum. People post, yet some people seem to think they can take a dig at me because in THEIR view, I post too often, or too long. Well guess what, I post how it suits me. If others don't like it, don't read them.

Disagree with my views, or reasons, by all means, but snippy comments about scripts are going to get a very angry response.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    Hey I don't think he meant anything bad by his comments, but it's well known that you are not in favour of subscription models. ....
    Well known to regulars, maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post

I think we've spoken a lot before about why I am, ....

Indeed. As a developer, you're more likely to have written a script to post than I am.

Some people are regulars here, and long-term. You are, and I am. Some debates, discussions and arguments crop up again and again, in one context or another. I'm certainly not aware of having commented much on cloud services in Win10 before, primarily because I've not said much about Win10 until the last day or two.

Many regulars comments multiple times on a topic when it crops up multiple times. I've lost count of how many a for/against debate has been had on, say, the death penalty. I've yet to change my mind (or, I suspect, succeed in changing anyone else's) but unless you have the exchange, you don't know when someone might come up with a killer ('xcuse pun) answer or argument. Or a new one.

Ditto on cloud services. Someone MIGHT come up with an argument that changes my mind. Or a new member, or guest, might be reading this thread and get a better grasp of multiple perspectives, and opinions, because multiple people have their say. They can see different arguments, views and opinions and it might help them form their own view. Not everyone reading this thread will have seen my view, or your view, before. We are regulars, but many readers are not. It's not a private chat between people that have read it all before.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Accepted.

For the record, this is not the first time, on a number of different issues, people have had digs and once ot twice have told me what to post, or not post. It is not funny, and it is offensive.

Also, it's a forum. People, including me, express views. My views on this subject are expressed firmly, but if you read them, you'll also note that it's my stance, and in this example, why a sub model is not going to happen for me. If MS do that, I leave MS just as I dumped Photoshop for this reason. But I also said I understand why other maybe any accept, or even prefer, the sub model. Why anyone should be intimidated to express a contrary view puzzles me. If someone else wants a sub model, by all means say so, and if they want, say why. It's perfectly consistent for someone else to like it and me not to, and just because I'm not buying into it doesn't mean I think others shouldn't.

I note TheAnimus posted in this thread. We've had some very ... robust ... arguments in the past. Sometimes we agree, sometimes not. The same could be said for Santa, and a number of others. They've certainly never been intimidated about disagreeing, nor should they.

Take Win8 MUI. I detest it, and don't use it because of that. Some people like it. I don't think everyone else should agree with me any more than I agree with them.

Why do I express my view often? Because it's a forum, because that's what forums are for, and because it's the only forum I spend any signigicant amounts of time on. And because I felt like it. Also because it wasn't me that raised cloud services in this thread.

Or are you seriously suggesting I have to count how many times a subject has come up before and I've posted before I decide whether to post in a new thread? People reading this thread haven't necessarily read any previous tbreads, so wouldn't have seen anything I, or anyobe else, said.

It's a forum. People post, yet some people seem to think they can take a dig at me because in THEIR view, I post too often, or too long. Well guess what, I post how it suits me. If others don't like it, don't read them.

Disagree with my views, or reasons, by all means, but snippy comments about scripts are going to get a very angry response.
    Fair enough. I'm a fairly recent edition to the forum and was unaware of any previous debates that have happened on similar subjects. I'm not seriously suggesting you check how many posts, it was a comment in jest. It wasn't meant to become offensive.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Fair enough. I'm a fairly recent edition to the forum and was unaware of any previous debates that have happened on similar subjects. I'm not seriously suggesting you check how many posts, it was a comment in jest. It wasn't meant to become offensive.
    Well, I wasn't going to mention it, but it's partly that you're relatively new, and with barely more than two dozen posts that it was offensive .... after well over 10 years as an admin, a lot of hard work on the forum, and nearly 15000 posts.

But as I said, apology, and explanation, accepted. I consider the matter closed, and forgotten.

Thanks

I've heard Home Use programs (if your company does them) are a good way of getting office on the cheap!

Haven't read through all the T+C's yet though!

Thanks

Eh, I'm so indifferent to Office releases. Having used 2003, 2007, 2010, and 2013. The only thing I really notice is how less snappy it gets, and how often some features get moved around. I am a huge fan of the ribbon interface though. It has definitely increased my productivity.

I hate the white-in-your-eyes-blinding-theme they have gone for with 2013 though. Had to revert back to 2010 to save my eyes. I miss the smooth typing animation from 2013 though.

Thanks

Maybe they used Excel?
    Rofl!!

unapologetic apologist
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Singh400 View Post
    I hate the white-in-your-eyes-blinding-theme they have gone for with 2013 though. Had to revert back to 2010 to save my eyes. I miss the smooth typing animation from 2013 though.
    Did you try setting the Office interface to Dark Grey? Definite improvement. FILE/OPTIONS etc
    One can never stop saying Thank You

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Singh400 View Post
    I miss the smooth typing animation from 2013 though.
    First thing I did was turn that off!

I want to see if I've made a typo, not a slower version of my typing!

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Actually, the comment about a scripted comment did make me smile, so thanks for that "spacein_vader", got my (dismal) Monday morning off to a good start. I, for one, definitely took the comment as being a gentle jest at the expense of one of Hexus' "grand statesmen".

And yes, Saracen, I think the "regulars" know that you're (a) anti-cloud; (b) anti-software subscription; and (c) anti-MUI. That's your opinion (which I respect) but personally I don't agree with all of it, (I'm kind of half in agreement with a & b, but with you 100% on c). Heck, the "anti-cloud" view is so well established that I've seen folks refer to it as a "Saracen-like" opinion - oh the price of fame!

And hopefully, calling you a "grand statesman" above won't get me banned!

EDIT: Oops, just read that you considered the matter closed, sorry!
    Last edited by crossy; 26-01-2015 at 10:00 AM. Reason: Read the rest of the thread

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by iamlorro View Post
    I've heard Home Use programs (if your company does them) are a good way of getting office on the cheap! Haven't read through all the T+C's yet though!
    Definitely agree with that - last time I checked it was that you can have ONE system active at any one point in time, so if you've got a laptop and desktop at home then you can install on both, just as long as Office isn't runnint at the same time. Prices are very, very good - as in less than the cost of two glossy computer mags out of supermarket/WH Smith. I've had Office 2010 and 2013 via this route (company is a Microsoft Platinum Partner), and note that since you're buying a RTU license then you can move the "old" versions to the kids etc. So I gave my Office2013 license to my wife (because she needs Outlook and does a lot of Excel'ing) and took the Office2010 license I'd previously given her and used it myself (because I like Excel for budgeting).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fuddam View Post
    Did you try setting the Office interface to Dark Grey? Definite improvement. FILE/OPTIONS etc
    I think I did, but it wasn't enough. I'll try again sometime soon...

Quote Originally Posted by iamlorro View Post
    First thing I did was turn that off!

I want to see if I've made a typo, not a slower version of my typing!
    But it's so pretty and smooth!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information