Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Why don't you own an iPhone?

Thanks

Re: QOTW: Why don't you own an iPhone?

clickbait

2. Received thanks from:

peterb (01-02-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks
    • wateva76's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2400
      • Memory:
      • 16GB GEiL DDR3-1333MHz
      • Storage:
      • 60GB Corsair Force3, 2x 1TB WD Green, 750Gb Samsung
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire HD6870 1Gb GDDR5
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Power 700W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake V4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2x LG W2242T LCD
      • Internet:
      • TPG ADSL2+, Netgear DGND3700v2

I'm not overly fond of "locked ecosystem" phones, like the iPhone. I don't have an iTunes account, and I have no desire to get one (both the iTunes account, and the iPhone). I much prefer my Lumia 930. It is much easier to use, and I much prefer the back button. I've even tried using my Dad's Android phone, and I hate that too, so I'm dreading the day that I "might" have to replace Windows Phone with something else (I just wish MS could get their update in order... our telcos have the Denim firmware before the CV variant has been released...)

4. Received thanks from:

nichomach (01-02-2015)

Thanks

I had one, liked it, but when I urgently needed to get a new phone, they didn't have it in stock so I ended up with an Samsung S3. The reason I probably won't go back soon is three folds: 1. I have become hooked on high capacity battery that is only with removable batteries. 2. microSD. 3. iPod Touch. What I like most about the iPhone isn't the hardware but the applications. To this date, there are still applications I use on a daily basis that I find better on the iOS than on Android, but I can just use a much cheaper iPod Touch. And to be fair, if I was to go back, I may notice applications that I regularly use on Android that isn't on iOS (or isn't as good). I certainly don't think it is a bad device at all, and the screen size never bothered me (in fact, I do miss a device I can easily operate single handed).
    Last edited by TooNice; 31-01-2015 at 05:55 PM.

Banned
    Thanks

Easy to use, as expensive as other high end contract phones and does what it says on the tin.

Bonus is that core functionality doesn't change too often, unlike android where you play russian roulette everytime you upgrade core apps. I use maps once in a blue moon, I cant remember it ever being the same app each time I've used it. Then don't get me started on hangouts!!

If I wanted to spend 30-50 fixed fee a month on a handset I'd buy an iphone. I don't so I slum it on android.

Thanks
    • TaintedShirt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68 Deluxe
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 2500k
      • Memory:
      • 4*4 gig Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • OCZ Vertex 240GB and 3.5TB Samsung Drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 570
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1000
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ07B
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 accessed using my lovely Filco brown key
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ FP241WZ
      • Internet:
      • 4meg of slowness increased to 5meg nice Billion 7800N

Why don't I own an iPhone?

'Cos I'm still waiting for Hexus and Tech21 to send me mine.

Registered+
    Thanks

I agree with the above, way too expensive for the locked ecosystem that they enforce.

Registered+
    Thanks

The new Iphone 6 is like my old Samsung Ativ S, they simply waited far too long to move to the larger screen. I really dont like the locked down system of apple and I simply love the windows phone.

I know the apple phones are good however they aren't great and I feel are just very over hyped phones.

Thanks
    • jag272's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z87-G43
      • CPU:
      • i5 4670k
      • Memory:
      • 1x8GB XMS3 1600Mhz CL11
      • Storage:
      • 1x 1TB WD Blue
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 760 2GB Gaming
      • PSU:
      • XFX TS 550W Core
      • Case:
      • Corsair Carbide 300R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung SyncMaster 943NW

To be honest when you think about it, iPhones are basically consoles with android/windows being the PC. iPhones have generally out of date hardware and a lack of freedom but what youre ultimately paying for is the reliability. Since the hardware varies very little app developers have much more stable apps generally, you can download something and expect it to work.

Meanwhile on Android/Windows phone we have more freedom but at the price of potentially more issues. While the OSs and the apps on them are generally stable, hardware varies due to the variety of different devices making use of the OS. Ultimately like with consoles and PC its a decision between what is almost guaranteed compatibility or extra freedom over your device.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Why don't I?

Much what others have already said, like price, too locked down, etc.

Also, don't need one. Don't currently need a smartphone, never mind iPhone. Also, privacy concerns.

So, while I've considered it, if I go smartphone at all, a MotoG-type choice is a better bet for me. Good enough hardware for a LOT less money. But privacy issues and lack of actual need have so far stopped even that.

It seems to me a big draw of Apple devices is the icon status and the 'I want one' that results. Trouble is, I don't want one. I just don't. If I won one, I'd sell it and buy something I actually did want with the money.

So I guess that the truth of why I don't have one is mainly the economic law of opportunity cost.

12. Received thanks from:

nichomach (01-02-2015)

SteveWilliams

"Seems everyone else does" -- Is 15-20% market share "everyone" now?

I've been a long time Linux user (not that there's any correlation), and I certainly don't think any company/organization have the right to see what's on my phone. I don't have anything to hide, but if they want it, they can come and ask me for it. I'm starting to become even more mindful of governments getting more rights to intercept communications.

I have exactly the same sentiments towards other software and platforms.

Registered+
    Thanks

Ability to set your own default application (ie Google Maps? Waze? Something else? Likewise for browsers and many other applications)

Sharing Intents - this is where you are in an app and you want to share this, you click on share button and can select *any* application that can take it (iOS is limited to just Twitter/Facebook/email and even this sharing function is limited)

Tasker. This isn't a simple app to use, nor is it user-friendly at all, but it's such a powerful tool that really goes above and beyond in making your phone so much more useful (examples: I keep rotate screen off at all times, but with Tasker, it enable rotate screen in selected apps so that I can use in landscape such as photo apps etc. This is one of the simple task. Another task I use is whenever I make a phone call, it automatically prefix it with a number 18001 for Text Relay (I'm deaf) and launch the NGT Lite app so I can use Text Relay to make calls.

Much of the function of Android had existed long before iOS picked them up such as multi-tasking, custom keyboards and so on.

Customisablity - including the ability to control tasks via lock screen (ie using Plex via Chromecast, just doubletab the screen to wake it (got a OnePlus One) and on lock screen, I can play/pause Plex)

Price. Got a OnePlus One 64GB. For the price of an iPhone 6+ I could buy two or three OnePlus One. The build quality of OnePlus is extremely impressive and the packaging is also high quality. It's a premium phone without the excessive cost - the bulk of iPhone's price is purely for profit - around 35-40%!

Apple's old motto used to be "Think Different". I quite agree. Everyone have a iPhone which all looks exactly the same from the lock screen, to the home screen. It's screaming "sheep" to me (ironic given that I use a platform used by more people though) - but I need just point to http://mycolorscreen.com/ - your phone is yours uniquely or you can grab various themes to change the look of your phone (I use the Themer app for that).

The iPhone is a fashion item, but for me it's not because it's very generic and bland due to being so common despite that it is a very high quality product but it's so common and so lookalike. It's not unique.

Media playing - I actually find I can easily play a wider range of media on my Android due to being able to install codecs.

Widgets, need I say more.

I could add quite a few more to the list here really, but really they all mean one thing - iOS is far too limited for me. It doesn't work for me and just me. It works for others, more power to them. There are a few things that the iPhone does brilliantly and that is its camera - it's always among the best smartphone cameras - my wife's iPhone 6+ take better photos than my OnePlus One can do especially in low light (daylight, about the same, although I do have RAW support advantage)

15. Received thanks from:

mycarsavw (02-02-2015)

Thanks

sounds like most of these chaps want their phones unlocked so they can do naughty things and not pay for stuff

dirty filthy beggars

all hail apple

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

In the first instance, for me, it's always been price. They are unbelievably expensive for what you get. It'd be hard to get me to willingly part with that much cash for a phone. Likewise I'd never get a new HTC, Samsung, Sony etc for the same reason.

I've actually owned an iPhone(work phone) and I don't really like the interface. The hardware is very nice (in a look and feel kind of way, the internals aren't worth shouting about), but I find iOS to be rather limited and not particularly customiseable. I like the fact I can do a lot more of what I please with Android. I can knock up useful (to me) apps in window or Linux without having to buy a Mac (or at least MacOS) to run the development tools.

I do think the iPhone is more of a fashion/status advert than anything else (- particularly these days when all the new revisions seem to do is change the design and charge more). I've noticed a lot of people owning iPhones to refer to them as iPhones. "I'll just look that up on my iPhone", "Pass me my iPhone". Never heard anyone saying "I'll just take a picture of myself in the mirror with my Galaxy S5". "Where did I put my Nexus 6?"

And a lot of iPhone cases/covers do seem to go to great lengths to not hide the massive fruit shape on the back?

I've got a phone with a nice big screen, thumping performance, great battery life and more flexibility. I paid half what I would for an iPhone. And I'm glad.

Having said all that, I do feel sad sometimes when I see how buttery smooth the interface always seem to be, Android still isn't quite there.

Registered+
    Thanks

1) I have a brain.

Thanks
    • dfour's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Crosshair 8 Hero wifi
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7 3700x
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Dark pro @3600
      • Storage:
      • sabrent and wd nvme + 3 TB storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Vega 64 Strix water cooled
      • PSU:
      • Fractal design Ion+ 760p
      • Case:
      • Lian Li 011D custom water cooled
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • AOC agon 32" + Dell U2311H
      • Internet:
      • Zen Fibre @72 meg

Quote Originally Posted by Bane2087 View Post
    1) I have a brain.
    This ^^

Its crapple what more is to say ???

Thanks

Cost and size. But size is a problem with all smartphones. If the iPhone kept to the 3.5" screen size and just got lighter and cheaper, I would have seriously considered it. To me a phone is mainly a means to be accessible via calls and messaging. It's not a device I use that much.

If you asked about an iPad, that would be a harder question, but the answer is mainly that I'm already in the Android ecosystem, coupled with being an "enthusiast" who enjoys flexibility and difficulty. Not all that logical, especially considering that Apple devices tend to get more games and get them first, and I mainly game on my tablet.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information