Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Samsung preps another fix for 840 EVO SSD slowdowns

spl
    Thanks

Re: Samsung preps another fix for 840 EVO SSD slowdowns

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    spl/tribaljet: thanks for the comments - I'm just about to upgrade an old netbook, so on the lookout for a new SSD. Think Crucial will get the biz this time.

And yes, the Intel "issues" look to have been with SF-powered models.

spl: Vertex migration - it's not as if it's particularly difficult these days to migrate data, I've done a couple and ended up using either Acronis or Samsung's version and it was pretty much "connect new SSD using USB; copy partitions old->new; swap drives", maybe an hour tops? Perhaps time to quietly remind that Vertex's can do "sproing" and die with little warning. Although the one I had, (actually still have, although downgraded to large flash drive now), is still going strong.
    That is true, and I'd suggest it to him if not for the fact that he badly needs a fresh Windows install anyway - this one has been running since 2011. Besides, it took me months just to get him to spend an hour or less installing the firmware update that was meant to fix the blue screens! Honestly I probably care more than he does about the mess his computer is in. When he finally does replace that drive though, I'll be very careful to recommend something tried and tested! Let us know how you get on with the upgrade :-) Will this be an M500, MX100, BX100 or MX200?

Thanks
    • tribaljet's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Intel HM65
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-2820QM
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Transcend DDR3-1600
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HGST Travelstar 7K1000
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Intel HD 3000 + Nvidia Geforce GT 555M
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Pro 64bits

Well, I would recommend dismissing both M500 and BX100, their current price/performance ratio isn't really worth pursuing and instead considering either MX100, MX200 or M550.

I have to say I was one of the few lucky people that managed to work on a Vertex 3 without any particular issue, this on a Nehalem system at work that was purchased in too much a rush for my tastes, especially since Sandy Bridge was going to be released a few months later. Oh well, they sure complained afterwards, even though Nehalems were (still are, honestly) quite decent.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Gronich26's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X99 Extreme6
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5820K 3.9Ghz 6 cores/4.4Ghz 1 to 5 cores with Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb (Crucial 2133Mhz)
      • Storage:
      • SSD+3TB Seagate HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX760
      • Case:
      • Fractal Designs R4
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung 46" LCD TV
      • Internet:
      • Plusnet 40Mbit Fibre

Sadly, I have a 250GB 840 EVO in my laptop - which is now noticeably slower than my two desktops when loading saved games in Civ5. I didn't really notice any speedup with the last firmware update, so, hopefully the lastest interation will do the trick.

I think it's strange that this hasn't been compared to the debacle surrounding the 970 i.e. We are getting nowhere near the speed advertised originally by Samsung.
    Last edited by Gronich26; 05-03-2015 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Spelling error

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by spl View Post
    Will this be an M500, MX100, BX100 or MX200?
    Quote Originally Posted by tribaljet View Post
    Well, I would recommend dismissing both M500 and BX100, their current price/performance ratio isn't really worth pursuing and instead considering either MX100, MX200 or M550.
    MX100 for me - mainly because Dabs have a special offer going at the moment - 256GB for less than £75, which seems "budget" pricing to me.

Did the W10 install on the netbook and - as predicted - it's not the most responsive. From the demented flashing of the disk access light I'm pretty sure that replacing the drive with an SSD is going to pay major dividends.

Leaving me only with the question of what to do about my two 840's - think the gen 6 firmware is a given (I'm on gen 0). But whether to try the latest slowdown fix or not...

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

spl
    Thanks

I'd suggest locating some old (preferably large) files that have been on there a long time and copying them to a RAM drive. If you see speeds below 300MB/s then it may be worth considering the fix. The new fix will be in this month's new Magician version.

6. Received thanks from:

crossy (06-03-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks

Hmmm, this can't come soon enough tbh. I have actually noted the performance drop now and went looking for a reason, here it is :/

I didn't notice the slow down last time however....perhaps it was too soon for my usage?

Either way, not entirely sure I am happy with having yet another fix and what the proposal entails, surely...they are chewing into our lifespan here and that HAS to be a spec change from what we purchased?

Anyone considering chasing a refund / change to 850?

Jinj

spl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jinjur View Post
    Hmmm, this can't come soon enough tbh. I have actually noted the performance drop now and went looking for a reason, here it is :/

I didn't notice the slow down last time however....perhaps it was too soon for my usage?

Either way, not entirely sure I am happy with having yet another fix and what the proposal entails, surely...they are chewing into our lifespan here and that HAS to be a spec change from what we purchased?

Anyone considering chasing a refund / change to 850?

Jinj
    I'm not happy about mine. 250GB model with ~150GB free and Trendmicro Housecall virus scan of the drive yesterday took over 7 hours. Considering going back to running Windows off my old Intel X25-M and just using this to install games (it's very rare I'd be playing the same game over several months so data should always be fairly fresh).

I don't think switching to the 850 Evo would be smart. It took over a year for people to begin reporting this problem with the 840 Evo and the 850 Evo is only a few months old. I'd be much more inclined to switch to something tried and tested like a Crucial M500 or MX100. This experience has made me much more suspicious of Samsung, TLC NAND and new SSD technologies in general. It's not like any of these advances are noticeably improving real-world performance, so I'll stick to proven MLC personally.

Registered+
    Thanks

Hear what you are saying bud....however, I really do like rapid mode.

Do other SSD manufacturers have something similar on drives at this level/price?

J

spl
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jinjur View Post
    Hear what you are saying bud....however, I really do like rapid mode.

Do other SSD manufacturers have something similar on drives at this level/price?

J
    Yeah it sounded impressive to me too when I first read about it but there's really no noticeable real-world performance difference, at least interms of load times:

http://techreport.com/review/28032/a...th-pcie-ssds/5

That Intel X25-M is an old 2009 model and it's performing identically to the newest stuff, even the crazy expensive PCI-E drives! I focus instead on reliability and value.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information