Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Star Citizen's FPS stances set it apart from the crowd

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Star Citizen's FPS stances set it apart from the crowd

FPS system, debuting in Star Marine, makes stances and breathing very important.
    Read more.

Banhammer in peace PeterB kalniel's Avatar
    Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Samsung 970Evo+ NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Re: Star Citizen's FPS stances set it apart from the crowd

So they've taken a normal FPS's 'sprint', 'run/walk' and 'aiming down sight' stances and rebadged them: 'lowered', 'ready' and 'aiming down sight' stances, and are claiming that they are thus re-inventing the wheel?

Can we take anything they say seriously?

3. Received thanks from:

Millennium (14-04-2015)

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Having been a gushing fan-boy during the initial phases, right up until they started messing about with 'enhancing' Arena Commander, I just HATE this game every time they do something more, now...

So in addition to studying the Navy Fighter Weapons School manuals of Aerial Combat Manoeuvres, it sounds like I will now also have to become an expert in several different martial arts, gain a doctorate in zero-gravity physics, learn central axis relock/Weaver/Isosceles shooting styles and all manner of extra stuff just in order to get by in this 'ultra-realistic BDSSE'... I'll probably need five keyboards just to have enough buttons for all the features!

The more they add, the more it sounds like a laborious chore of things to factor in than a fun game. At this rate, the tutorial levels alone will probably take years to complete!

Banned
    Thanks

The whole game has alarm bells ringing in my head...

So many modules with no real focus on what the game is, other that they want it to be everything.

Everything never succeeds.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kalniel View Post
    So they've taken a normal FPS's 'sprint', 'run/walk' and 'aiming down sight' stances and rebadged them: 'lowered', 'ready' and 'aiming down sight' stances, and are claiming that they are thus re-inventing the wheel?

Glad it's that obvious, reading through I'm thinking 'what are they going in about with this garbage?'

As mentioned already these are standard parts if any generic shooter, despite their claims at removing them.

Thanks

It's quite amazing actually, this could be the moment where FPS games are redefined for the first time since Doom.

I can't begin to imagine how many scientists and man hours it took for them to discover the aim position of "near face but not through sight just yet, definitely not from the hip though". I'm staggered. I feel that everything I have ever learned about aiming has just been destroyed. No doubt destroyed by a scientist aiming his gun from near his face but not through the sight just yet but definitely not from the hip.

Thanks
    • CK_1985's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-H87N-WiFi mini-ITX
      • CPU:
      • i5-4670K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GeForce GTX660ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone Strider 450W SFX
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Sugo SG-05
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414H
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity Fibre

Completely agree, seems to be EXACTLY like the process for every other shooter ever. Presumably only difference now is that there will be more of a delay when switching between modes... Fun!

Having been burned before on Kickstarter-backed games (Planetary Annihilation, thought it would be a fun RTS but turned out to be a ludicrously tough e-sports wannabe) I'm not surprised that this is starting to go south.
    "I want to be young and wild, then I want to be middle aged and rich, then I want to be old and annoy people by pretending that I'm deaf..."

my Hexus.Trust

Thanks

Would have been better if they tried and replicated Arma/OF. But I'll have to play with what they've created before judging.

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    The whole game has alarm bells ringing in my head...

So many modules with no real focus on what the game is, other that they want it to be everything.

Everything never succeeds.
    I've been of the same opinion for some time.

There was this massive gap for a Wing Commander/Privateer type game, and while some semblance of that may yet emerge, it surely could have been done sooner/better without this focus on yet another shooter.

ZaO

I think you need to read the article on RSI. It's a bit more indepth than that. It sounds like it'll be similar to Arma, but a little different. They never claimed they reinvented the wheel, btw. That's just what Hexus have stated. The idea of this system is to stop everyone running around like crazy Rambos like they do in Battelfield and COD etc.. Also, read "Death of a Spaceman" on the RSI site to further understand why you won't want to play like that.

As for you guys whining about the modules - the modules are just there as a testing ground for the mechanics of each game aspect, and also to give the backers something to play until the game is out. They get info from testing, we get something to play with while we wait for the game - it's a win win. In the full game, all elements of play will be one cohesive experience, and the existing modules will evolve into testing grounds and competitions, as minigames within the main game itself.

I can't believe the negativity towards this game. Some people are complaining as if it's just another one of those Steam BS early access games on the Unity engine.. Is that how you really see it?

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    They never claimed they reinvented the wheel, btw. That's just what Hexus have stated.
    I thought Hexus would know better than that, but OK, RSI are just claiming to "to throw out systems that have become standard in first-person shooters in favour of taking an entirely new look". Which is almost as equally exaggerated.

As for you guys whining about the modules - the modules are just there as a testing ground for the mechanics of each game aspect, and also to give the backers something to play until the game is out. They get info from testing, we get something to play with while we wait for the game - it's a win win. In the full game, all elements of play will be one cohesive experience, and the existing modules will evolve into testing grounds and competitions, as minigames within the main game itself.

I can't believe the negativity towards this game. Some people are complaining as if it's just another one of those Steam BS early access games on the Unity engine.. Is that how you really see it?
    It's worse, or at least, different, from that. Anyone in any number of fields will tell you that unfocused projects are a real danger - at best they're in efficient and and worst (and more usually) they're a disaster. I can't make any comment on which this will be, but I can express annoyance that the game I originally supported is spending huge resources on a genre I have no interest in. No matter how you put it, it means that some portion of what I would pay for the game is going into something that I will be avoiding like the plague. There is even the danger that it is going to negatively affect my enjoyment of the game I hoped for, if by not participating in the shooter parts I'm hampering my enjoyment of the space combat stuff.

don't stock motherhoods
    Thanks
    • Millennium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X470 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • AMD 3600x @ 3.85 with Turbo
      • Memory:
      • 4*G-Skill Samsung B 3200 14T 1T
      • Storage:
      • WD850 and OEM961 1TB, 1.5TB SSD SATA, 4TB Storage, Ext.
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 3070 FE HHR NVidia (Mining Over)
      • PSU:
      • ToughPouwer 1kw (thinking of an upgrade to 600w)
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define S
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 101 Home 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • HiSense 55" TV 4k 8bit BT709 18:10
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone 12 / month, high contentions weekends 2, phone backup.

I'm hoping I'm glad I backed this and am looking forward to a strong AAA game

On the other hand, I can totally relate with the criticism of folk saying they have delivered a game on too many genres.

But honestly, had I been that over funded, I'd have tried to do the same and please anyone and everyone gamer wise..
    So, just in-case this get's any dev traction, I'd also suggest (given the enormous overfunding) some Just Cause 2 gameplay elemental s.
    hexus trust : n(baby):n(lover):n(sky)|>P(Name)>>nopes

Be Careful on the Internet! I ran and tackled a drive by mining attack today. It's not designed to do anything than provide fake texts (say!)

Thanks

Well, while I'm usually a mild critic of SC and all it entails, a sci-fi setting is usually quake/unreal in execution. Taking a bit of effort to ensure it doesn't become a bunny hopping free for all in the FPS module has my vote.

Now, the rest of the game - I can't talk of much. If everything is done how they say they intend to have it done they can have my money come release. Throwing £100+ at a promise of future virtual pixels? I'll pass thanks.

ZaO

I thought Hexus would know better than that, but OK, RSI are just claiming to "to throw out systems that have become standard in first-person shooters in favour of taking an entirely new look". Which is almost as equally exaggerated.

It's worse, or at least, different, from that. Anyone in any number of fields will tell you that unfocused projects are a real danger - at best they're in efficient and and worst (and more usually) they're a disaster. I can't make any comment on which this will be, but I can express annoyance that the game I originally supported is spending huge resources on a genre I have no interest in. No matter how you put it, it means that some portion of what I would pay for the game is going into something that I will be avoiding like the plague. There is even the danger that it is going to negatively affect my enjoyment of the game I hoped for, if by not participating in the shooter parts I'm hampering my enjoyment of the space combat stuff.
    I know we've talked about SC stuff before, so I feel I have a fairly good idea of your viewpoint. But, you always seem to make it a bit personal with this game, like you're disappointed that they're not making the game the way you want it. There's so many different people with different ideas of how they'd like this game to be, should they tailor it to one crowd, the others will be disappointed, and vica verca. I backed the game to let CR and team make the game of their dreams, having total faith in them and knowing that I too will get to enjoy the same game That's how you wanna try look at it dude, not like you're the publisher. That said, it doesn't mean you can't be disappointed with things about it. But with such a small share going into the development, you need to be part of a large, like minded group of backers to have your idea affect the development, you know?

Now when it comes to the space flight stuff - the only time you'll be required to engage in the FPS stuff there is during ship boardings. So, you'll either defend your ship if attackers breach and enter, or you could be on their side of things trying to take someone elses ship, if you like. And btw - how the hell does that not sound fun to you!? Lol... I can't bloody wait for this game!

I bet the majority of the people slagging it off will have their minds blown by this game when it's finally out and they see all the amazing gameplay footage. They'll then go out and buy it. Then after the success of the game, the game industry will change and loads of companies will be trying to make games like this (which by the way, some already are. The mass backing of SC has already spawned lots of space games trying to do something similar). Maybe I'm too optimistic? Maybe.. But none of us know until the game is out. Can't wait to check back with you guys when that time comes and see if everyone is still as negative.. Who knows, maybe I'll join ya

Thanks
    • kalniel's system
      • Motherboard:
      • CPU:
      • Intel i9 9900k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4 3200 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX 1060 6GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic 600W
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master HAF 912
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2721DGF
      • Internet:
      • rubbish

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    like you're disappointed that they're not making the game the way you want it.
    This is going off topic a bit, but absolutely. Well, I don't mind how they make the game, but as I said, I'm annoyed it's not the game they gave me the impression they were going to be making.

There's so many different people with different ideas of how they'd like this game to be, should they tailor it to one crowd, the others will be disappointed, and vica verca.
    Indeed - which is why I'm disappointed they're bothering with shooter stuff that is already well catered for. Those of us who loved WC and not shooters were not well catered for in today's game market, so when RSI popped up with golden tickets we were very excited.

I backed the game to let CR and team make the game of their dreams, having total faith in them and knowing that I too will get to enjoy the same game
    That's just creepy!

That's how you wanna try look at it dude, not like you're the publisher.
    Nope, I'm looking at it like I'm a customer.

That said, it doesn't mean you can't be disappointed with things about it. But with such a small share going into the development, you need to be part of a large, like minded group of backers to have your idea affect the development, you know?
    Oh I'm not trying to affect the development, just giving my opinion on an internet discussion board.

Now when it comes to the space flight stuff - the only time you'll be required to engage in the FPS stuff there is during ship boardings. So, you'll either defend your ship if attackers breach and enter, or you could be on their side of things trying to take someone elses ship, if you like. And btw - how the hell does that not sound fun to you!?
    I think I've described how it can make the game less fun. By the way, did you ever play any of Derek Smart's games?

I bet the majority of the people slagging it off will have their minds blown by this game when it's finally out and they see all the amazing gameplay footage.
    I don't think many people are slagging it off here, but equally, I think if you have your mind blown by a game, particularly if it's just watching some footage of it, then you need help

Then after the success of the game, the game industry will change and loads of companies will be trying to make games like this
    Thanks, I needed a laugh

(which by the way, some already are. The mass backing of SC has already spawned lots of space games trying to do something similar).
    That I didn't know. Have you got some examples?

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I actually know friends who have slapped down $200+ on the kickstarter.....got to say it beggars belief what people will pay for a gamble.

It's almost like people don't read up on how many never come to fruition or fall drastically short of what they promised.

SC was just another I decided to wait out, the premise of it sounds good but then I could have written the same brief and I wouldn't know where to start with the project!

I guess it's going to take some stings before people realise that salesmen are good at selling.....even when they have nothing to sell yet!
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information