Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Did the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X meet your expectations?

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: QOTW: Did the AMD Radeon R9 Fury X meet your expectations?

Quote Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
    AMD will be in administration by the end of next year, I've got a 10 to 1 bet on that
    Luckily AMD has all the current consoles. PS4, XBOX one, Wii U.. All use customized AMD APUs. It's just a little sad that AMD hasn't been able to compete on both the high end CPU and GPU markets for some years now. That has has caused Intel CPU and Nvidia GPU prices to rise, and that is not good for consumers. I'm really hoping AMD can bring something awesome to the table with the 14-16nm era of GPUs that is coming next year. AMD CPUs seem like a lost cause by now. They'd need to start from scratch and come up with a better design than their current lackluster CPUs. When did they even release their last high-end desktop CPU? 2-3 years ago? Intel has been running circles around AMD with their yearly tick-tock cycle churning out new microarchitectures and smaller manufacturing nodes like clockwork. At the same time AMD's products have been delayed again and again, and whatever they have been able to release has come up as a disappointment.
    Let's just hope AMD stays in business, otherwise we are totally f**ked as consumers. Intel and Nvidia could double their prices and no one could do a thing to stop them.

Registered+
    Thanks

It was billed as the fastest card in the world, out perform all. i expected it to outperform Titan X by some 20%, it was billed as very overclockable, its not. I find this unacceptable as a fan of AMD products, i really want them to be on par with Nvidia, i want them to be on par with Intel and for Zen to nudge ahead for a while. without AMD GPU and CPU pushing Intel and Nvidia we have nothing, we would still be on single core CPU and Gforce2. I am disappointed with AMD FURY X, IT'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH. Nvidia new what to bring to market to, the 980Ti was bang on the money one month before Fury X landed so AMD have a mole. I am sick of hoping that it will happen, that the next product will be fantastic, i want the next HBM2 card to out do Nvidia card, but i now don't think that will happen and that's AMD own fault.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Matched my expectations almost perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by GuidoLS View Post
    Expect that, based on their own marketing blurb, and some anecdotal stuff, the Fury and Fury X are going to be close to, equal with, or slightly faster than, the 980ti and Titan, depending on benchmark and application.
    Not sure why anyone is surprised, really. While there might be a long way to go until we get to the plateau of video cards, and computers, there's no current tech that's going to provide any kind of quantum leap. There's no greatness in a 2-3 or even 5% increase in processing power, if all we are getting out of it is a couple of FPS, at the expense of power draw, heat, increase in size, whatever.

Thanks

Nope.

I had it in my hand ready to purchase at scan thinking "perfect for my new 4K TV". Then looked at the HDMI spec and only 1.4a. Before anyone says you can get an adapter, i'm not gonna spend circa £100 on top of a £550 card so i can get my 4K fix. Also, its not gonna be out till at least winter time and wont have HDCP 2.2 so no UHD Blu ray compatibility.

What a joke for a brand new card aimed at 4K gaming. AMD cocked up big style for me.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by naz1911 View Post
    Nope.

I had it in my hand ready to purchase at scan thinking "perfect for my new 4K TV". Then looked at the HDMI spec and only 1.4a. Before anyone says you can get an adapter, i'm not gonna spend circa £100 on top of a £550 card so i can get my 4K fix. Also, its not gonna be out till at least winter time and wont have HDCP 2.2 so no UHD Blu ray compatibility.

What a joke for a brand new card aimed at 4K gaming. AMD cocked up big style for me.
    Wait a few weeks. The card will be £500 tops by then, the adapter should be about £30 going by usual active adapter pricing, so all in you will up better off than buying now at £550

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

The price of the Fury X 4GB means it is aimed at competing with the 980 Ti 6GB, so in that regard it does meet my expectations and does pretty well at 4K. If AMD tweak the drivers and cut the price modestly it could be the 4K graphics card to have.

Registered+
    Thanks

Sadly no, I was hoping it'd compete with the 980 Ti on all resolutions. Seems to do so at only 4K.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Nope. Its competitive for sure, but its not the game changer I was expecting.

Thanks

Not sure why anyone is surprised, really.
    We're surprised because AMD has quietly been doing very little for the last few years, with only two significant new GPU releases in the gaming world since the start of 2012.

Regardless of the rumours that are going around, they've had /a lot/ of R&D time, which would imply that what they've been developing IS going to be something fairly ground breaking, rather than the standard small increment in performance and power consumption.

Registered+
    Thanks

If AMD go bust we can expect to see next to no advances from Intel or nvidia for many years, they'll both go back to drip feeding the minimum upgrade possible at the highest price possible...we need AMD.

11. Received thanks from:

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by CustardInc View Post
    We're surprised because AMD has quietly been doing very little for the last few years, with only two significant new GPU releases in the gaming world since the start of 2012.

Regardless of the rumours that are going around, they've had /a lot/ of R&D time, which would imply that what they've been developing IS going to be something fairly ground breaking, rather than the standard small increment in performance and power consumption.
    HBM (or any memory) isn't the magic pill. The GPU is the issue, and until they can drop down to a smaller fab size, the increases are only going to be incremental. And to be perfectly honest, I don't believe the 'next huge thing' is going to come from either AMD or Nvidia, but more likely from a source like Matrox, or S3 (due to their ownership and bankroll from HTC).

But given AMD's financial issues, the revolving doors and one way out signs in the board room, and the fact that they have their fingers in so many pies, including one or 2 expensive abandonments, I'm actually kind of surprised that the Fury X is doing as well as it is. I think the true disappointment for the enthusiast is going to be the regular, air cooled Fury. But as I stated before, none of these cards are on my radar. I'm perfectly satisfied with 1080p, and these cards are entirely overpowered for that.
    Esse Quam Videri
    Out on the road today I saw a Black Flag Sticker on a Cadillac...

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Monitor(s):
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Quote Originally Posted by smilertoo View Post
    If AMD go bust we can expect to see next to no advances from Intel or nvidia for many years, they'll both go back to drip feeding the minimum upgrade possible at the highest price possible...we need AMD.
    Not to spoil the thought, but ATI/AMD, as a graphics maker, is 8 years older than Nvidia... so if anyone was dragging, they were doing it in tandem.

Thanks

HBM (or any memory) isn't the magic pill. The GPU is the issue, and until they can drop down to a smaller fab size, the increases are only going to be incremental.
    I didn't say anything about HBM, but that is indeed one thing they've developed that should give them an edge. The increases are certainly going to be incremental, but they've released half as many GPUs as nvidia in twice as much time. I would've expected the increment to be related to the amount of time spent in development, i.e. twice as long, twice the performance increase. The fact that they've only really been working on the Fury GPU all this time would suggest to me that it would be something special, given how much attention it's had (assuming the 300 series retool was an efficient cost cutting measure).

No one's disappointed by nvidia's releases and subsequent performance increases because they've been doing it regularly.

Thanks
    • spolsh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Crosshair VI
      • CPU:
      • R7 1700
      • Memory:
      • Team Froup DDR4

No, it didn't meet my expectations. With all the hype, the renaming and the long, long wait, I was hoping for something about 20% better than Nvidias offering. Pretty much matching their card isn't what I feel AMD promised.

Registered+
    Thanks

Massive let down, I was expecting them to be better then the 980Ti and maybe just a little cheaper as they are trying to play catchup with market share.

Thanks

Went out and bought a 980Ti G1 as soon as I knew Fury's lacklustre numbers. A great, great card 8)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information