Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: AMD expects Q2 2015 revenue to be lower than previously guided

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD expects Q2 2015 revenue to be lower than previously guided

Complains that PC demand is weaker than expected.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

Re: AMD expects Q2 2015 revenue to be lower than previously guided

"weaker than expected consumer PC demand," lol, so it doesn't have anything to do with having uncompetitive products then ?

Registered+
    Thanks

"weaker than expected consumer PC demand," is supposed to say "weaker than expected consumer products,"

4. Received thanks from:

Defiant (07-07-2015),DemonHighwayman (07-07-2015)

Thanks

It is a little saddening when a major corporation blame everything else other than themselves. Didn't they have a massive business shake up to try and prevent this?

Thanks

If there's weaker than expected consumer PC demand then how come both Intel & Nvidia's revenue is flat for the same quarter?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    If there's weaker than expected consumer PC demand then how come both Intel & Nvidia's revenue is flat for the same quarter?
    Yeah Intel is just rosy, that's why they just let a whole load of employees go.

Thanks

Whatever rule you apply to Intel also applies to AMD & Nvidia though, if Intel had to let a whole load of employees go to keep revenues flat then why didn't AMD do the same, did Nvidia have to do the same to keep their revenues flat.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

How many more of these can they survive?

They really need a big turn-around and to be fair, Intel have only added ~5% core performance to each new CPU architecture they have release since January 2011....that was 4.5 years to catch up, yet only recently have they announced working on a new architecture....in fact AMD seemed to have concentrated on their APUs way too much yet still managed to flounder around enough that Intel have now caught up with them in IGP performance while still leaving them way behind in CPU performance.

They then got an exclusive on HBM and have yet to make that worthwhile for upgraders with cards that show no clear performance increases, even at 4K where things become bandwidth constrained.

I smell a monopoly in the making and it's AMDs doing. When they sold their fab business and then their HQ, I guess the writing was on the wall but we all hoped they would bounce back, the reality is they have just constantly slipped further behind
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by StaticLNX View Post
    "weaker than expected consumer PC demand," is supposed to say "weaker than expected consumer products,"
    The enthusiast market isn't that big.

The issue is that regardless of how good AMDs products are, they completely fail to get them into OEM products, apart from low-end, low-margin devices. There are reasons for this of course, mainly their competitors having excellent marketing and enticements.

Oh, and everything they release comes out 3 to 6 months too late to be competitive.

I am hoping that there is a turnaround to not making stupid business decisions (the move to finfet early indicates this may be the case). Sadly it takes a lot of time to change direction, and this is just another aspect of that.

Thanks

They aren't focusing enough on releasing actual products on the market. I mean, they had the mullins and beema apus. I can't find more than one product with mullins apu inside. Even though they released a prototype with gaming in mind. They released carrizo apus and they are nowhere to be found. The laptops that have amd apus are always lowend with bad quality and screens with ancient resolution. There is your problem AMD. You grow fruits but you have to sell them to people in order to go forward.

Thanks
    • Hicks12's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z68-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 2500k@4ghz, cooled by EK Supreme HF
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston hyperX ddr3 PC3-12800 1600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 64GB M4/128GB M4 / WD 640GB AAKS / 1TB Samsung F3
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Palit GTX460 @ 900Mhz Core
      • PSU:
      • 675W ThermalTake ThoughPower XT
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-A70 with modded top for 360mm rad
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2311H IPS
      • Internet:
      • 10mb/s cable from virgin media

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    How many more of these can they survive?

They really need a big turn-around and to be fair, Intel have only added ~5% core performance to each new CPU architecture they have release since January 2011....that was 4.5 years to catch up, yet only recently have they announced working on a new architecture....in fact AMD seemed to have concentrated on their APUs way too much yet still managed to flounder around enough that Intel have now caught up with them in IGP performance while still leaving them way behind in CPU performance.

They then got an exclusive on HBM and have yet to make that worthwhile for upgraders with cards that show no clear performance increases, even at 4K where things become bandwidth constrained.

I smell a monopoly in the making and it's AMDs doing. When they sold their fab business and then their HQ, I guess the writing was on the wall but we all hoped they would bounce back, the reality is they have just constantly slipped further behind
    Intel havent made that much progress in CPU performance, they dominate the high end but AMD do remain competitive on the mid(and slightly 'high') end. Do remember that this isnt like games or anything else, the development is done behind locked doors for MANY years and they have been working on Zen for a very long time, performance looks to correct everything wrong with Bulldozer architecture and finally will be on a similar process node to Intels Skylake so its looking pretty solid right now, wont say that AMD is guaranteed to have a winner but this looks positive and I would only worry if Zen is a flop . The main issue for bulldozer was that it was ahead of its time, very few applications were multithreaded (same with games) but the future of all software was in multi threaded work loads which is why bulldozer was a great idea at the time but unfortunately it was in an era where single threaded work loads were still the norm, only now are we finally getting a DirectX graphics API that fully support multithreading, the future is stronger for AMD than Intel in that regard so another positive to look to.

Their graphics cards are competitive on price,performance and features but AMDs marketing team/budget pales in comparison to Nvidia and this is the major reason for less sales, doesnt matter if they bring out a card thats better in every aspect because Nvidia has too strong marketing which resembles Apple Vs any OEM using android. Bad enough if AMD release a better product but this generation has simply been matching it, it was a 'fair' and even playing field then both AMD and Nvidia would be healthy based off the products they have released thus far, it simply comes down to the brand awareness unfortunately. HBM works fine but again AMD pulled a stupid marketing move by releasing the 390 first with 8GB gddr5, 8gb GDDR5 is not the same as HBM at all and its AMD failing at marketing once again . HBM is a pretty strong design win for AMD, it proves that they're pioneers and working purely with Hynix while Nvidia having no involvement but using HBM2 shows its a worthy technology

Wouldnt worry yet, worry next year if it is still bad
    Quote Originally Posted by snootyjim View Post
    Trust me, go into any local club and shout "I've got dual Nehalem Xeons" and all of the girls will practically collapse on the spot at the thought of your e-penis

Thanks

How the hell is it AMD's doing? When they had vastly better products than Nvidia from top to bottom they still couldn't get over 50% market share. It's fanboys and clueless sheep who are to blame. Did you buy a 5870 or did you wait on a 480 like the tech press told you to? How long did you wait?

Edit - Looks like they just scraped over 50% market share when they had massive leads in performance per Watt from top to bottom.

Nvidia was almost a year late with their DX11 stuff yet still held on to 50% market share. As soon as Fermi was released the fanboys couldn't wait to snap it up regardless of it's awful power draw. AMD would need to be twice as fast at half the power for some of you to change your minds.

Edit 2 - Remember what happened last time they were beating Intel?

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...0intel&f=false

Sometimes I hope AMD dies and leaves you lot to 10% increases every 18 months, or Nvidia forgetting to optimise for their last architecture just to make their current one look better. Not to mention the bought tech press suddenly finding themselves with zero advertising revenue and other backhanders. It would be everything you deserve.
    Last edited by Jimbo75; 07-07-2015 at 04:11 PM.

Thanks
    • devBunny's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P9X79 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7-3930
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x GTX 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZX1000W Gold
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Elysium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 and Win XP in VMs
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell 2410M 1920x1200 IPS

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks12 View Post
    The main issue for bulldozer was that it was ahead of its time, very few applications were multithreaded (same with games) but the future of all software was in multi threaded work loads which is why bulldozer was a great idea at the time but unfortunately it was in an era where single threaded work loads were still the norm
    That's not at all how I saw it. Bulldozer was hyped to the heights of Mount Olympus but totally failed to deliver. When Bulldozer arrived, it dug a hole, climbed in and buried itself. Not only was it more Ben Nevis than Mount Olympus in performance, it sucked juice as if it felt obliged to make up for a great price by costing that much more to run.

Those whose rising hope exceeded their circumspection walked away in disgust, and I was one of them. I had been watching the news and developments very keenly as I wanted as many cores and threads as I could get. My feelings towards AMD for that blunderful marketing strategy earned them negative goodwill. With Bulldozer off the list, I eventually went for a 3930K and twin GTX 560 Ti's and have been very pleased with them.

I'm no AMD anti-fan boy, in fact I still root for the underdog, just because, but I do it with a lot less caring than I used to. And I'm not going to believe anything about their products unless I get it straight from the Hexus' mouth.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo75 View Post
    How the hell is it AMD's doing? When they had vastly better products than Nvidia from top to bottom they still couldn't get over 50% market share. It's fanboys and clueless sheep who are to blame. Did you buy a 5870 or did you wait on a 480 like the tech press told you to? How long did you wait?
    I actually had CFX 5870s which I kept until I got sick of CFX issues and bought a GTX580 on release which pretty much was a monster compared to everything else available at the time.

Nvidia was almost a year late with their DX11 stuff yet still held on to 50% market share. As soon as Fermi was released the fanboys couldn't wait to snap it up regardless of it's awful power draw. AMD would need to be twice as fast at half the power for some of you to change your minds.
    It was 5-6 years ago. We were still shrinking regularly and brute-forcing successfully. The recession hadn't effected everyone by then either. No one much cared about efficiency. 6 years later, things are different. You cannot dwell on the past but you do have to plan for the future.

Edit 2 - Remember what happened last time they were beating Intel?
    Yes, myself and many other people who now run Intels were running AMD chips.

Sometimes I hope AMD dies and leaves you lot to 10% increases every 18 months, or Nvidia forgetting to optimise for their last architecture just to make their current one look better. Not to mention the bought tech press suddenly finding themselves with zero advertising revenue and other backhanders. It would be everything you deserve.
    nVidia purposely hobbling drivers? One of the most silly things I've heard. If discovered as true it would cause one of the biggest backlashes ever and cause huge amounts of people to buy AMD out of principle. The most likely reason would surely be a combination of tessellation and GamesWorks playing better on the Maxwell architecture.

You can get angry at people who buy the best kit for them TODAY. I (and I am sure most other people) are not going to buy what they perceive to be a weaker product just to appease people like yourself. If you are buying weaker products to support the under dog, good on you but many of us do not have the time or money to waste on products that we know (or at least suspect) will not match our expectations.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

nVidia purposely hobbling drivers? One of the most silly things I've heard.
    What about Nvidia purposely hobbling 4GB of VRAM? Pretty sure that would have been one of the most silly things you've heard as well.

If discovered as true it would cause one of the biggest backlashes ever and cause huge amounts of people to buy AMD out of principle.
    Garbage. Most of those who bought 970's and were displeased with not getting 4GB "punished" Nvidia by...buying 980's!

The most likely reason would surely be a combination of tessellation and GamesWorks playing better on the Maxwell architecture.
    Gameworks works on NOTHING. What you mean is "over tessellation" that gimps their own cards just as much as they do AMD's. Just like they've been doing for years, and getting away with it because of the tame press that is too dependent on their advertising funds to give independent and unbiased coverage.

17. Received thanks from:

Thanks

Hey, nvidia and intel fanboys... just imagine how one company is trying to be competitive against two companies with a lot more employees and resources. If u are not involved on chip, storage, memory or related stuff development or has an electronics, computation or physics ph D... just STFU

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information