Thread: AMD Radeon R9 Fury specs purportedly revealed

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

AMD Radeon R9 Fury specs purportedly revealed

Air cooled card will offer 512 fewer Stream Processors than the Radeon R9 Fury X.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: AMD Radeon R9 Fury specs purportedly revealed

I wonder how this will compare in performance and price to the 980 :O I'm waiting on this and kinda hoping it will be above the 980 for about the same price if not lower :-)

Thanks

With air cooling, expect it to run at a higher temperature, and thus have a higher leakage current and therefore higher overall power consumption, unless clockspeed is reduced.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by ValkyrieTsukiko View Post
    I wonder how this will compare in performance and price to the 980 :O I'm waiting on this and kinda hoping it will be above the 980 for about the same price if not lower :-)
    Looking at the specs it should be a tad faster then a 980.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    that could be good though i remember reading somewhere that nvidia are preempting this release by lowering the price of the 980 to make it more appealing in comparison to the fury/furyx.
    i wonder how the aic's will handle it though. i mean, normally they differentiate from each other by different shrouds, different cooling tech, differing OC speeds from ref. Considering the FuryX appears to be difficult to overclock (possibly awaiting new drivers to allow this?), most of them will prob be at the reference clock/memory speeds straight off the bat :S
    i wonder which of the AIC's will be the best to go for. MSI, sapphire, asus and gigabyte are the main ones aren't they? hmmm.. who to jump on a preorder for..

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
    With air cooling, expect it to run at a higher temperature, and thus have a higher leakage current and therefore higher overall power consumption, unless clockspeed is reduced.
    It's quite possible. However ASUS have their new Strix cooler they've just used on a 980Ti along with new coolers from the other AIB's so <70C doesn't seem all that unlikely.

Going against the 980 it has the potential to be a good launch depending on pricing and things as trivial as fan profiles - no-one can sensibly complain about 4GB at least! xD

Registered+
    Thanks
    • Blazer's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
      • CPU:
      • Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB G-Skill Sniper
      • Storage:
      • 2 60 gb SSD's in Raid0 for os, 2x 1tb HDDs for storage
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R280x
      • PSU:
      • Evgs NEX750B
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster storm scout
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • acer 23"
      • Internet:
      • cable

Quote Originally Posted by ValkyrieTsukiko View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    that could be good though i remember reading somewhere that nvidia are preempting this release by lowering the price of the 980 to make it more appealing in comparison to the fury/furyx.
    i wonder how the aic's will handle it though. i mean, normally they differentiate from each other by different shrouds, different cooling tech, differing OC speeds from ref. Considering the FuryX appears to be difficult to overclock (possibly awaiting new drivers to allow this?), most of them will prob be at the reference clock/memory speeds straight off the bat :S
    i wonder which of the AIC's will be the best to go for. MSI, sapphire, asus and gigabyte are the main ones aren't they? hmmm.. who to jump on a preorder for..
    Don't forget XFX

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edzieba View Post
    It's quite possible. However ASUS have their new Strix cooler they've just used on a 980Ti along with new coolers from the other AIB's so <70C doesn't seem all that unlikely.

Going against the 980 it has the potential to be a good launch depending on pricing and things as trivial as fan profiles - no-one can sensibly complain about 4GB at least! xD
    With HBM on Fury there's less area to cool, but what there is would need to be cooled significantly better than usual. I expect manufacturers to (need to) come up with quite some different cooling than we're used to. On the other hand, this excercise will be worth it considering nVidia's next design (Pascal) is going to use HBM as well.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    With HBM on Fury there's less area to cool, but what there is would need to be cooled significantly better than usual. I expect manufacturers to (need to) come up with quite some different cooling than we're used to. On the other hand, this excercise will be worth it considering nVidia's next design (Pascal) is going to use HBM as well.
    There's images up already of Sapphire's Fury product, they are sticking to a triple fan using the smaller board, the third fan looks like it adds extra cooling to extended heatsink fins and providing some air to the board under it :O interesting.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by azrael- View Post
    With HBM on Fury there's less area to cool, but what there is would need to be cooled significantly better than usual.
    Not really - the die is larger than Hawaii while consuming similar or less power so the heat density is actually lower. The heat produced by the memory is relatively small so it shouldn't make much of a difference, but there's the advantage of direct contact of the memory silicon rather than needing a load of thermal pads.

I think it was on a PCPer podcast they suggested coolers like the Strix have been designed with the Fury in mind anyway because of the large contact area in order to cover the memory.

Thread Information