Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Samsung reins in outlook due to tepid demand for its Galaxy S6

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Samsung reins in outlook due to tepid demand for its Galaxy S6

Galaxy S6 Edge was as popular as the regular S6 but Samsung didn't make enough of them.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • directhex's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG Strix B550-I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5900x
      • Memory:
      • 64GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Seagate Firecuda 520
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W G3
      • Case:
      • NZXT H210i
      • Operating System:
      • Ubuntu 20.04, Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG 34GN850
      • Internet:
      • FIOS

Re: Samsung reins in outlook due to tepid demand for its Galaxy S6

Samsung are terrible at reading the market - and the initial success of the Galaxy S line lead to punishment for the engineers responsible.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

I saw it coming a mile off which makes me wonder what Samsung were up to.

There was a reason that the sheep stopped buying iPhones and Apple (unsurprisingly) figured it out (even though it did take them longer than expected, although that may have been reluctance rather then incompetence).....and if iPhone sales go up, galaxy S sales go down.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

I'd actually say it's down to two reasons for Samsung, high end phones aren't needed anymore, low end phones like the moto g have changed the mobile landscape for a lot of users. Then there's performance, apart from apple that has it's 'followers' and artificial 'crippling of the os' most mobile phones from 2 years ago are still more than good enough for most people (ignoring android updates etc).

I won't mention bloatware on Samsung devices but pretty sure they're still one of the worst out there for it and android users are getting savvy to this being a reason to slow updates if any.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post
    I'd actually say it's down to two reasons for Samsung, high end phones aren't needed anymore, low end phones like the moto g have changed the mobile landscape for a lot of users. Then there's performance, apart from apple that has it's 'followers' and artificial 'crippling of the os' most mobile phones from 2 years ago are still more than good enough for most people (ignoring android updates etc).
    Funny enough, 'artificial crippling of the os' was the deciding reason for me returning my Galaxy S6 128GB and buying an S5 instead.

Ultimately they've copied everything I don't like about the iPhone and thrown away everything I did like about the Galaxy series. Perhaps a lot of existing Samsung Galaxy 'followers' are feeling the same way, making the S6 a rather transitional phone with Samsung trying to move into a different market.

Thanks

Wow, someone who actually liked the crapware Samsung provided prior to the S6!

Me? I've only got an S4, but I actually 'upgraded' to a SIM Only plan, because nothing out at the moment really catches my eye.

Registered+
    Thanks

No SD card expansion + No removable battery = NO SALE!

As soon as it was announced I picked up the Note 4 - honestly I would never go back to having a smaller screen - the Note 4s screen and utilities are AMAZING!

8. Received thanks from:

j.o.s.h.1408 (08-07-2015)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EvZ_2 View Post
    No SD card expansion + No removable battery = NO SALE!

As soon as it was announced I picked up the Note 4 - honestly I would never go back to having a smaller screen - the Note 4s screen and utilities are AMAZING!
    Really begs the question why they have so many smartphone ranges. Obviously even they can't keep up as the Alphas were meant to be the impractical iPhone wannabes.

The S5 unfortunately is still too expensive so went with a 3GB RAM G3 (nigh on impossible to find decent specs AND removable battery/SD slot in a small phone)

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I saw it coming a mile off which makes me wonder what Samsung were up to.

There was a reason that the sheep stopped buying iPhones and Apple (unsurprisingly) figured it out (even though it did take them longer than expected, although that may have been reluctance rather then incompetence).....and if iPhone sales go up, galaxy S sales go down.
    And yet the android "it isn't apple so it must be good" sheep still flock to it.

Quote Originally Posted by LSG501 View Post

I won't mention bloatware on Samsung devices but pretty sure they're still one of the worst out there for it and android users are getting savvy to this being a reason to slow updates if any.
    More truth in this, a moto g is about the third of the price of a Galaxy, and is does pretty much what any other Android_phone does. Personally had I the inclination to spend £450 on a phone, I'd bite the bullet and get an iPhone.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks

Perhaps they need to sort the supply out. I've got money waiting, but (on amazon) the 32GB is £429, 64Gb unavailable and the 128GB £765.

I don't care about the battery/SD card but I need 64GB or more and I'm not paying £335 for an extra 96GB.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gagaga View Post
    Perhaps they need to sort the supply out. I've got money waiting, but (on amazon) the 32GB is £429, 64Gb unavailable and the 128GB £765.

I don't care about the battery/SD card but I need 64GB or more and I'm not paying £335 for an extra 96GB.
    So what will the Samsung at £450 do over and above the Moto G at £150?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    So what will the Samsung at £450 do over and above the Moto G at £150?
    In usage it will be faster, have a better screen, better camera, better (headphone) audio. Have a Moto G2 at work for testing, amazing for the money but having come from premium phones (many iThingies and HTC M7) i'm happy to pay substantially more for a physically nicer phone... that's why I never went for a previous samsung.

My point is not the price of the baseline model (which I think is fine ~£450), but the fact the supply and price premiums on the higher memory ones is excessive and inconsistent.

£430/£480/£550 would seem about right for the jumps, £50 more for the edge.

14. Received thanks from:

peterb (07-07-2015)

Thanks

Fair enough, but personally if I was paying that sort of money, I would be buying an iphone6 not an android based device. Android is OK and does the basics, but just doesn't seem very polished.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Thanks

Fair enough, but personally if I was paying that sort of money, I would be buying an iphone6 not an android based device. Android is OK and does the basics, but just doesn't seem very polished.
    And iOS is too restrictive....each to their own. I much prefer the superior camera and screen on many Android devices these days that going back to iOS seems a real backwards step now. A young lady I know (under 16) recently got an iPhone 5C and it is god damn awful, basic, rubbish screen and camera and it wasn't cheap at all
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

Android is OK and does the basics, but just doesn't seem very polished.
    I think we know where your loyalty lies.

That statement would have been fair about 3-4 years ago, but given that much of the recent polish on IOS is lifted straight from Android (keyboards, notifications etc) it takes a little bit of imagination to take that seriously.

I have an iphone 6 from work. Lovely device, but there is a ton of crap in IOS that is still not fixed, and far, far from polished.

My number one: I have about 6 email accounts on there. Coverage is weak/drops out when it's trying to refresh. IOS gives a popup saying unable to connect. For. Each. And. Every. Email. Account. Separately. One. After. The. Other. Yup, they could have pushed this into notifications, but no, still a bloody great pop-up each time, for each separate account that I have to dismiss. This crap has been there since IOS1, and still hasn't been fixed.

How about another: the home button was getting crappy on my 5 - it sometimes registered as the trigger for voice dialling ... apart from not being able to turn that off, it would randomly dial someone, even in a room of perfect silence. The only way to kill it was to hit the power button which meant then going through the 8 character unlock set on the phone. No cancel button because that's against apple design, and no way to disable it because apple knows best.

IOS and Android are both fully functional now - it's down to personal preference which you prefer. Just don't try and imply Android is still at v2.2, because we are a long way on from there.

Thanks

Oh wow. I can sort of accept non-removable battery for water resistance as a fair trade off, but I can't accept no microSD. Wonder if I should pick up an S5 to replace my aging S3.
    Samsung should have kept the removable battery and microSD on the vanilla S6 and, if they really had to, make another version without with the Edge (for people who care about having the fanciest / thinnest phone).
    Edit: Well, after Googling a bit, I think that I am going with an LG G3 next. I know the G4 is out, but it doesn't seem like such a major upgrade.
    Last edited by TooNice; 08-07-2015 at 06:15 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information