Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

Thanks
    • sirtrouserpress's system
      • CPU:
      • I7-5600U
      • Memory:
      • 20GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 128GB PCI-e SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce 940M
      • Operating System:
      • Xubuntu/Windows 10

Re: QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

Loved the look of it, then I tried using it, about half of my games no longer work, I can't even begin to work out how to use cortana, plugging something into the front headphone jack no longer sets that to be the default device and got good old fashioned mouse pointer corruption...
    4.5/10
    give it a month of patches and it may be worth it

Thanks
    • Agrippa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X299 Taichi XE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7820X @ 4.8GHz (delid)
      • Memory:
      • 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C14 @ 3600 CL15
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM961 256GB, 850 EVO 1TBx2, 850 EVO 250GB, 840 512GB, Seagate 1TB, 2TB, 8x8TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 1080 Ti RoG Strix
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000x
      • Case:
      • Lian Li D8000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P
      • Internet:
      • 500/500 Fiber

Early days, as I installed on the 27th, but so far zero problems. I now have Windows 10 Pro, so upgrades aren't forced. The install (upgrade, not clean) was very quick and afterwards everything works just as well as before. No driver problems either, all the old drivers works just fine. All my games work too, as well as or better than before.

All in all it couldn't really have been smoother or more painless.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

An attempt at style over substance, but they haven't got any style.

My Win7 netbook needed a Windows reload anyway, so I thought I would try it for target practice. I bought a cheap 8.0 upgrade license when that came out, but never used it anywhere so am jumping straight from 7 with no experience of 8.x.

Initial reaction was OK, desktop looks sane, the tablet-esque touches seem confusing but I'm sure I will get used to it. But then you try and run something a bit advanced, first was Task Manager. Functional enough, but my word that is fugly. I mean, Windows 3.1 wants its shareware back, just needs some EGA colouring to make it look truly retro.

If this is progress, then I think I should get my Atari ST out of the loft.

At some point I am sure I will be driven to this by DirectX 12 on my main machine, but I think not yet, not until I have to.

Thanks
    • GuidoLS's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P5Q Pro
      • CPU:
      • C2Q 9550 stock
      • Memory:
      • 8gb Corsair
      • Storage:
      • 2x1tb Hitachi 7200's, WD Velociraptor 320gb primary
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 9800GT
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 750w
      • Case:
      • Antec 900
      • Operating System:
      • Win10/Slackware Linux dual box
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 24" 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • AT&T U-Verse 12mb

Initial impressions - sort of. (I've been an Insider since the beginning)

1) The lack of built in customization is a turn off - I like my desktop to look a certain way, and from Win95 all the way through Win7, that ability was built in. It's lacking in 10. I shouldn't have to use a 3rd party program.
    2) In gaming, on old hardware, I seem to be averaging a roughly 5% to 15% increase in FPS doing absolutely nothing. I expect that will actually increase when I purchase a card that has specific programming in DX12.
    3) The built in support for older hardware is a plus. I'm talking stuff that even Win7 and 8/8.1 didn't support - old Lexmark printers, for example. This is important to me because, as the person that does the repair/refurb for a resale/thrift type store, anything that won't work with the current OS goes to recycling, which returns far less money for the charity. We're talking about pennies as compared to dollars in difference.
    4) Edge - Edge is fast. I've previously stated that it appears to be as fast or faster than anything since the days when Opera came on a 1.44mb floppy. It still doesn't support Chrome extensions, but we knew that before hand.
    5) Windows Media Center is gone. This was almost a deal breaker for me. As is, that's one machine that will never see Windows 10 or beyond. A drop in the bucket for MS, but despite claims of low usage, it seems that more and more people are claiming to be unhappy with the decision.
    6) The start menu is unwieldy. The tiles are easily removed, so that's a non-issue. The overly long, alpha-ordered program listing is the issue. There's no grouping - at least none that seems to be user defined.

As an OS, so far, it's been nothing but rock solid. Most things work faster, or just work where they didn't before. As a platform, there are things that are lacking or displeasing, at least to me. I know how to deal with the security issues, so for me, they're non-issues. For others, they may or may not be a valid concern.

I'd give it an overall rating of 7 out of 10 - there's little that's actually wrong, but for me, what is wrong is somewhat of a big deal.

Thanks

At this point I don't care how it looks or functions, as Saracen succinctly put it Windows 10 is nothing more than an advertising and data gathering platform.

Microsoft must be wetting themselves that they've managed to tempt so many people with their "free" offer, 14 million of them in the first day were so enamored with getting something for "free" that they either didn't see, or didn't care about what they've lost.

What is it they said last year when Google was caught reading people email? Let's be clear, WE won't read your email, or something like that, and now a year later they're not only reading emails but near enough recording everything people do on their Personal Computers, yes a lot of it can be turned off but 90% of people probably won't know how, or even realise the extent of what is being gathered.
    Last edited by Corky34; 31-07-2015 at 07:08 PM.

Thanks

not to bad I had a sli bug and also a dual monitor problem but NVidia came up with a new driver that sorted it but I noticed my two 970 are stacking the memory so 8 gb are showing in MSI afterburner instead of 4 gb so like in AC Unity VRAM usage is 5 gb instead of 3.5 gb in win 7 so don't know what's going on there

Thanks

I liked W10.

Thanks
    • sirtrouserpress's system
      • CPU:
      • I7-5600U
      • Memory:
      • 20GB DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 128GB PCI-e SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • NVIDIA GeForce 940M
      • Operating System:
      • Xubuntu/Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by gkhnkkc View Post
    I liked W10.
    Is that a tactical use of the past tense?

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Liking it so far. Like windows 8 but less in your face. Seems nice and snappy in use just like windows 8.
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

Have been playing around with the enterprise install most of the day at work on my laptop.

Only dislikes for me have been the start menu, installed stardock's "start 10" to look the same as win 7's menu and solved.

Flat icons and windows themes? Awful

It does seem to open programs a lot faster though and the system was no slouch before, core i5 8gb ram and an ssd.

Gaming, no change, everything runs as it did before.

Will probably stick with win 10 on the lappy as since I run a computer shop people will ask to see windows 10 and I'll need to learn all about it but unless DX12 makes a massive difference I'll be sticking with windows 7 at home.

Thanks
    • outwar6010's system
      • Motherboard:
      • asus Crosshair x370
      • CPU:
      • 1800x @ 4ghz
      • Memory:
      • Team Group Dark Pro Edition 16GB (2X8GB) DDR4 PC4-25600C14 3200MHZ
      • Storage:
      • More than most
      • Graphics card(s):
      • evga 1080ti
      • PSU:
      • corsair ax 760
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900d
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10 pro 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • hp omen 32
      • Internet:
      • Bt infinite

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HEXUS

... what are your first impressions of Windows 10?

So far, WORST version of Windows, ever.

Oh, it's slick enough, pretty enough, apparently good security etc, but for my taste it goes too far, way too far, in taking the personal out of Personal Computing.

Two main issues. Privacy, and auto-upgrades.

Until/unless MS address those (to my satisfaction) I'm not even interested in trying it. So it matters not how slick, pretty, secure or full-featured it is, if I don't trust it. Or rather, don't trust MS.

The privacy policy (August version) sucks hugely, IMHO. You are handing MS a vast amount of permission, to the point of effectively losing any rights at all over it, to your personal data. I understand why some aspects of Win10, like Cortana for instance, require that to work, but that's precisely my point - I neither need nor want anything Cortana offers, yet MS shove it in anyway and then rights-grab my personal info so it can work.

The same applies to auto-update. I understand the technical advantages of a common platform, but by agreeing to the EULA, you have accepted that MS can make ANY changes they wish, to the OS on YOUR machine, not only without your permission but without your knowledge. And they have previous .... like pushing out Bing search in a previous update. So .... well, remember Sony getting in all sorts of PR and potentially legal hot water by installing rootkits via CD/DVD play? Well guess what ... Win10 users have given permission for MS to install rootkits, pump out ad-engine based search bars, forcibly disable 3rd-party security tools, etc, should they wish to do so.

Will they? Who knows. But like I said, they have previous.

So yeah, my first impression is worst-ever Windows, by a country mile. Because it is attempting to hijack MY personal computer and turn it into an MS-controlled box, like an XBox.

Will it succeed? Not if people care about privacy or control it won't ....so yeah, it probably will succeed. But then, I thought I was in a tiny minority with Win8, and look how that turned out.
    This is the reason why I most likely won't "upgrade" my main rig to w10.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in."

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by silenthill View Post
    not to bad I had a sli bug and also a dual monitor problem but NVidia came up with a new driver that sorted it but I noticed my two 970 are stacking the memory so 8 gb are showing in MSI afterburner instead of 4 gb so like in AC Unity VRAM usage is 5 gb instead of 3.5 gb in win 7 so don't know what's going on there
    I have read that mantle and dx12 support memory stacking so the 2x4GB will/can show as 8GB.... no idea if it is implemented though.

Registered+
    Thanks
    • loccothan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • RoG HeroVI RAM@3800MHz C16 1T
      • CPU:
      • ZEN 3700X 8/16 4.5GHz + LC CM Nepton 280X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB PredatorX 4133MHz CL19
      • Storage:
      • 1TB NVMe Samsung, 2xSamie Pro 850 512GB + HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3080 OC/UV
      • PSU:
      • XFX/Seasonic Gold 760 PSU
      • Case:
      • Big Tower Corsair 750D SilentO 5xFan
      • Operating System:
      • WinX Gamer ED, Customized
      • Monitor(s):
      • 10Bit 27" IIyama 1440p FreeSync 74Hz
      • Internet:
      • SB AE7, NET 600 MB/s

I have all OS' most recent Xp MCe, XP-64, Vista-64, Se7eN 64 Ultimate then upg. to 8ighT MCe -> 8.1 MCe and month ago when icon pops up Upgraded from Win Update in OS to Win_X !
    Best OS ever IMO -> For Gamers Most Have (its free so WFT gimme that ;-)
    Now Waiting for DX12 games cuz DX12.x API renedering in DX12 feature 11.1 is awesome.
    pCars now +7-14FPS with -dx11mt -pthreads 12 in Steam properties of .EXE
    I'm Happy with Win_X
    ZEN 3700X, HeroVI | 32GB 3800MHz CL16 | RTX 3080 OC/UV | XFX 760 PSU | 10Bit 27" IIyama 1440p FS | 1TB NVMe Sammie, 2xSamie 850 512GB | SB-AE7+Audio-Technica ATH-AD1000X | DeathStalker, Roccat Nyth

Thanks
    • spolsh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Crosshair VI
      • CPU:
      • R7 1700
      • Memory:
      • Team Froup DDR4

Definitely faster than win 8.1, anybody else noticed the tor browser is super quick now ?

Registered+
    Thanks

so far upgraded from win 7 pro to win 10 pro and no dramas except of the occasional blank screen which flashes once in awhile. for me no nvidia driver or installation issues.

i actually welcome the change from my years of Win 7.

in addition many things seems to run slightly quicker.

downside - the tacky looking boot up windows logos.

ZaO

I haven't actually used the OS for functionality yet, just set it up on a laptop for someone earlier. But I have to say, what an ugly and inconsistent interface in some of the menus. I see they've hung on to the ugly and childish look of Windows 8. Some of it is just way too bold and basic looking and kinda just does my eyes in to look at. Then you go on other menus and they look like Windows 7 (control panel, for example).

Windows 7 had the best over-all GUI for me so far, but I'm willing to give W10 a good chance to see how well it functions. Really looking forward to experiencing some DX12 optimisation in games too..

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information