Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

Thanks
    • neonplanet40's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
      • Storage:
      • 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Supernova G6 850W
      • Case:
      • Lian LI Lancool 3
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 27" U2715H & Gigabyte M27Q
      • Internet:
      • 1Gbe

Re: QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

Meh, its okay. Cortana doesn't work though. I have faffed about with settings as much as possible but still no luck.

Also, the amount of things I had to opt out from when installing (which were cleverly hidden unless you checked) to try and keep even a shred of privacy was a joke.
    Home Entertainment =Epson TW9400, Denon AVRX6300H, Panasonic DPUB450EBK 4K Ultra HD Blu-Ray and Monitor Audio Silver RX 7.0, Monitor Audio CT265IDC(x4) Dolby Atmos and XTZ 12.17 Sub - (Config 7.1.4)
    My System=Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Patriot 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz, 1TB WD_Black SN770, 1TB Koxia nvme, MSI RTX4070Ti Gaming X TRIO, Enermax Supernova G6 850W, Lian LI Lancool 3, 2x QHD 27in Monitors. Denon AVR1700H & Wharfedale DX-2 5.1 Sound
    Home Server 2/HTPC - Ryzen 5 3600, Asus Strix B450, 16GB Ram, EVGA GT1030 SC, 2x 2TB Cruscial SSD, Corsair TX550, Plex Server & Nvidia Shield Pro 4K
    Diskstation/HTPC - Synology DS1821+ 16GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 45TB & Synology DS1821+ 8GB Ram - 10Gbe NIC with 14TB & Synology DS920+ 9TB
    Portable=Microsoft Surface Pro 4, Huawei M5 10" & HP Omen 15 laptop

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

found a few annoying things I don't like:

the top menu bars, cant change the colour of them, just the start menu. its so shiny white and getting annoying to look at.

in windows explorer, sorry File Explorer in the search box at top right, you used to be able to double click in it (win 7) and then extra options appeared - search date, file size and so on. now its a dynamic menu bar like in 0ffice 2007 and newer. and the options are at the left of the screen on the very shiny white bar

when playing games theres some popups that appear saying stuff like 'press alt+win+g to start game summut' or 'win+r to start record'. how do you turn them off? I know theres a tick box to never show again, but I want to check whether the record function is recording the last 30 seconds somewhere on my hard drive like NVidia shadowplay did.
    just for a peace of mind.

I miss CPU meter and network meter gadgets. core temp still shows up on notification area,, so I can see how hot its getting in there. currently idling around 28C goes up to 40C when gaming for a few hours (witcher 3) those gadgets where very handy for me though, could check whether LOTRO was memory leaking or whether internet was poop.

It's still very white on the menu bars of programs

in the recovery settings page, these an option to go back to windows 7 for the next month, so if you have regrets at least that's there.
    unless you cloned your C: drive beforehand so you can just clone it back if you don't like Win 10

in the privacy settings I've turned everything I can to Off or at least minimum,
    got the device data usage to basic http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/w...cs-privacy-faq

the enhanced (default option) apparently records how long you use each program for, any crashes, errors.
    Full is the worrying one, it uploads (if I'm reading it right) what was active in your memory at the time of the crash, which can include documents you were working on which Microsoft can then read.

that's my initial observations.

3. Received thanks from:

D-T (04-08-2015)

Seriously casual gamer KeyboardDemon's Avatar
    Thanks
    • KeyboardDemon's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Sabretooth Z77
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k + Corsair H80 (Refurbed)
      • Memory:
      • 16gb (4x4gb) Corsair Vengence Red (1866mhz) - (Because it looks good in a black mobo)
      • Storage:
      • Crucial M550 SSD 1TB + 2x 500GB Seagate HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0 (Warranty replacement for 780Ti SC ACX)
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750 watt SuperNova G2
      • Case:
      • Silverstone RV03
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus Swift PG278Q
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity (40mbs dl/10mbs ul)

My first impressions are, until MS and NVidia can learn to play properly there is no way I can get Windows 10 running reliably on my PC so it's time to take a step back to 8.1 until that time comes. I really don't want to spend however long that takes trying to bash a square peg into a round hole.

Thanks

Defrag has been improved.
    Jon

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Two main issues. Privacy, and auto-upgrades.
    What do you think about the non-home versions?
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnimus View Post
    What do you think about the non-home versions?
    I've not closely studied the differences, but if I upgraded, it'd be to Pro, from Win7 Ultimate. As far as I can tell, the privacy issues are the same but you have the native ability to defer, but not prevent, auto-upgrades. That does at least give the ability to hopefully prevent nightmares with upgeades crashing the system, because they ought to be sorted by the time the deferal expires. But it doesn't change the simple fact that MS will have removed the choice I currently have to decide I prefer my current 'old' system to whatever garbage they're shoving that I object to.

For instance, I have a couple of retail Win8 upgrades here, one still shrinkwrapped. Why? Because having tried it, I decided it was bad enough I'd rather stay, for a while at least, on Win7. And I'm currently making that same decision with Win10, that is, stick with Win7.

But even if I can defer under W10 Pro, I can't reject an update, which means if at some point, MS decide to install some new feature I REALLY object to, like Cortana, or an obnoxious ad-engine, or a Bing search bar, I can't stop it.

It's fundamentally the diffefence between new 'versions' being installed on a 'pull' basis, initiated by me if/when I choose, or a 'push' basis, initiated by MS, not only without my input, but even over my vehement objections. Even, as I currently am, sticking with the status quo, won't be an option because implicit in push upgrades is that MS have ripped the ability to choose what's on my machine and taken it themselves.

Had that been the case when Win8 was released, I couldn't have prevented them upgradjng to a UI I utterly hated, against my wishes.

I evaluate new releases BEFORE choosing to buy/install, and either do, or don't, accordingly. But MS are stealing that decision. I want my machine working how I want it, not how MS tell me it's going to be. It's MY machine, my work environment, me that has to sit there using it. I am NOT switching to a system where I give that up and just take whatever MS decide they want me to have.

So right now, I have control. I can decide yes, or no, to changes. As it see it, Home or non-Home, that choice is removed.

And right now, I'm reasonably happy with Win7. Not at all impressed with Win8, and absolutely reject Win10's privacy intrusions. I don't say I'll never upgrade to W10, simply because we haven't yet seen the overall public and business reaction. It's possible MS will have to climb down over forced upgrades, and back off on privacy. Not likely, IMHO, but possible.

We MIGHT, for instance, see a revised Win10 where reviewing oroposed "features" and accepting or rejecting them was put back in users hands. We MIGHT see a thorough, centralised privacy control where we can turn off, absolutely, features like Cortana that are so intrusive.

If we do, I'll look again. IF.

If we don't, which frankly is what I expect to happen, then Win7 (or possibly a modified de'MUI'd Win8) is the last version of Windows I will use. Because I will not, now or EVER, use Win10 in it's current form.

Thanks
    • DemonHighwayman's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z97I Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb 2.4Ghz Kingston Beast
      • Storage:
      • 256 Gb Samsung 850 Pro (Main), 4TB Toshiba X300 (games), 2TB External TV/Films HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • KFA2 RTX 2070 EXOC
      • PSU:
      • Coolermaster Real Power M700
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 20 VT
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus PB278Q
      • Internet:
      • Yes most of the time

@ Saracen, Everything you have said is the way I feel about what microsoft are doing, it looks like they have given in regarding the auto updates thing though, I haven't even tried win10 yet though as I've been waiting to see what others think of it. Anyway link to windows update article: http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/operat...in-windows-10/

9. Received thanks from:

stevie lee (02-08-2015)

Thanks

Been reading more and more into this over the weekend now people are getting the release version...I haven't upgraded and after what I've been reading I'm not sure I want to, especially on my work pc's.

From what I can gather from reading reviews etc -
    Privacy, most of it is fairly similar to windows 8 in regards to things like syncing contacts/calendar to hotmail (I don't actually mind this but it does mean couple of extra lines in my business t&c's) or onedrive and files (simple fix is just don't use it lol).

Cortana, main issue for me was how much it was scanning, looks like I'd be turning this off.... same goes for the 'key logging' software (still looking into this) they seem to have in the software.

Supposedly hotmail/onedrive etc has a control centre for personal info, looks rather lacking in my opinion, doesn't look to stop any tracking/snooping just stops giving tailored adverts...

I'm not keen on some of the 'implied' wording regarding data being sent to MS if an app crashes, depending on settings they can get a copy of the file we're working on...um confidentiality breach especially for those of us with nda's (ie me)

From what I can see Onedrive still isn't being treated like a mapped drive, it looks like it's now a synced folder, if I wanted another synced folder like dropbox I'd have dropbox... I want mapped network storage (there is the same work around as on win 7 and 8 luckily).

Ironically though my biggest issue is actually regarding the lack of control over updates, the whole reason my systems run as well as they do is because I control EVERY aspect of what runs on them. I don't run updates on the day they're released I wait a while to see if issues pop up, I don't need the latest graphics drivers if the ones I have work fine for my graphics card (they do). It also looks like updates download in the background, ie no scheduling to cater for off peak downloading/limited downloads (no issues for me but for some there is) and it also looks like it affects gamers pings too... I can see where MS are going with updates, they want people updated 'for security' (yeah right it's to make sure we get their next 'advert filled version') but some of us can't afford to risk the downtime of a bad update.

Pro is supposed to be for small businesses yet they've in essence got the same problems as home users if theres a buggy update (there will be), it looks like enterprise can limit/restrict updates... seriously big and small businesses are the same in that they can't afford downtime.

The updates being automatic also means we don't have any control over installing any new 'service' that MS wants to add or they may make something that was free into a freemium product (solitaire) and I really dislike that idea.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    We MIGHT, for instance, see a revised Win10 where reviewing opposed "features" and accepting or rejecting them was put back in users hands. We MIGHT see a thorough, centralised privacy control where we can turn off, absolutely, features like Cortana that are so intrusive.
    I can't see Microsoft ever rethinking the pushing of feature changes on users, security updates are already being published that include feature changes.

Re: Privacy issues, my biggest gripe is that they should be asking permission first, not assuming permission, or burying disclosures, or operating on the assumption that simply providing a way to turn something off later is the same as asking permission to turn it on in the first place.

This blog post does a nice job (imo) of detailing how I feel about Microsoft's new strategy.

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    @ Saracen, Everything you have said is the way I feel about what microsoft are doing, it looks like they have given in regarding the auto updates thing though, I haven't even tried win10 yet though as I've been waiting to see what others think of it. Anyway link to windows update article: http://www.kitguru.net/gaming/operat...in-windows-10/
    While Microsoft should be applauded for releasing kb3073930 it's not really solution to the problem as you can only hide an update after its been installed, if an update leaves you without a keyboard, mouse, screen, or unable to boot into Windows you're out of luck.

12. Received thanks from:

DemonHighwayman (02-08-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks

I have been part of the Insider program, so have played with a few different releases. However, with the Nvidia issue, and the problem with the install pausing if certain USB devices are plugged in, there are some niggles that still need to be ironed out. However, I now run it on two pcs, and it is mostly just doing its job, so that I can get on with using the machine and not really think about the OS.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHighwayman View Post
    I was aware of that tool, but thanks anyway.

That MIGHT go some way to addressing my auto-update concerns, which is why I said no to Windows "in it's current form", and why I reject any chance of upgrading yet - I want to see how that tool, and MS's stance, rinses out in the wash over the next few months.

Even that article says

With this tool, users will be able to avoid automatic driver updates, which is great for users who like to sort that stuff out themselves, particularly for GPUs
    My emphasis.

See, I remember (very clearly) MS making a great fanfare over "responding to users" and "bringing back" the Start button. Well, they brought back the button, but not it's functionality. And that was the final nail in the coffin of ANY trust I had for MS. From that point, I've regarded any statements or announcements with as much trust as I would a used car 'guarantee' from a bottom-tier used car dealer.

I'm not just, or even primarily, bothered about auto "driver" updates, though I sure understand why gamers with high-end video cards would be. I'm more bothered about a EULA that gives MS permission, and the technical implementation in Win10 of a system, to inflict ANY changes to any aspect of OS functionality that they want, with NO ability to opt out, however obnoxious I may find them.

Even if Win10 were utterly to my approval in it's current form, and it isn't, I'd still be VERY reluctant to install something that gives MS subsequent authority to, and ability to, make absolutely any changes they like. And have removed my ability to simply decline, and stick with what I currently had.

See, right now, Win 7 does everything I need of it. Despite having paid for Win8 upgrades, having tried them, I'm back with Win7. I might go Win 8, with Start 8 at some point, but right now, W7 does me.

But if I go to Win10, I loose that option to 'freeze' my PC, and at least as currently described, that tool at best partially addresses that. Before I'd be prepared to upgrade to W10, I want categorical, absolute, unambiguous statements from MS that it'll be ME in charge of when, and indeed if, feature changes would be installed on my system, not them.

Trouble is, short of a huge-scale public backlash over it, I don't think there's any chance of it. And I doubt any backlash, and there'll be some (already is, in fact), will be big enough to force MS to change position substantially.

I guess what I'm saying is that I think that tool is a stop-gap, a PR stunt like the return of the Start "button", designed to undermine and defuse public objections and not suggestive of ANY will or intention of MS to change course. At some point, it'll vanish, or cease working, or the range of things it'll block will shrink, to vanishing point. And anyone relying on it WILL, in my opinion, sooner or later find themselves back in the original situation, locked in to just accepting whatever MS do .... or dumping Windows entirely. The only question in my mind is how long it takes.

15. Received thanks from:

D-T (05-08-2015),DemonHighwayman (02-08-2015)

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I can't see Microsoft ever rethinking the pushing of feature changes on users, security updates are already being published that include feature changes.

Re: Privacy issues, my biggest gripe is that they should be asking permission first, not assuming permission, or burying disclosures, or operating on the assumption that simply providing a way to turn something off later is the same as asking permission to turn it on in the first place.

First para - sadly, nor can I.

Second para - absolutely. Such loss of privacy ought to be opt-in, not opt-out, and emphatically not scramble about all over the place trying to find all the settings you have to change to opt out .... if you can actually find them all.

Of course, MS know full well that, given the choice, and an explanation of the implications for privacy, most people would decline to opt in. Thereby leaving their money-making strategy well and truly beggared.

Thanks

So just installed win 10 enterprise on my spare SSD.

Installed fine, quickly had a BSOD with a iastor.sys error.

Seems win10 does not like my sata controller being set to raid. What a balls up.
    (Asus Maximus Gene V Motherboard)

Works just fine if I disable the controller or remove the drives but since I need them I'll be sticking with win 7 till (if ever) it's sorted.

Banned
    Thanks

2-3 days of happiness.

Then it unactivates itself and explorer now crashes ever 2-3 minutes.

Format c: : install windows 7

ZaO

I thought someone might've already brought this up, but if they did, I can't find their post. Anyway, if you look at the start of the privacy policy it says "This privacy statement explains what personal data we collect from you and how we use it. It applies to Bing, Cortana, MSN, Office, OneDrive, Outlook.com, Skype, Windows, Xbox and other Microsoft services that display this statement."
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/priv...t/default.aspx

It doesn't specify Windows 10, it just says "Windows". So does that mean this applies to all versions of Windows? It kinda looks that way.. Do you guys really feel any safer sticking with Windows 7?

Thanks

They can't retroactively change the licensing terms for a product you have already paid for I would have thought.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information