Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

ZaO

Re: QOTW: What are your first impressions of Windows 10?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmastorm View Post
    They can't retroactively change the licensing terms for a product you have already paid for I would have thought.
    Dunno about that. It happens all the time...

Thanks
    • shamus21's system
      • Motherboard:
      • GigaByte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • 2500k @ 4.8
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Timings 9-9-9-24
      • Storage:
      • 60GB Vertex 3 SSD Boot - Samsung 256GB 830 SSD GameFile & 1TB WD1002FAEX Caviar Black BackUp
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GTX 580
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Infinity 720W
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Armour Super Tower
      • Operating System:
      • Win7 64 bit Home Premium
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2407 wfp
      • Internet:
      • Crap

Not Happy. Windows 8 upgrade install and workability was a lot better. Windows 10 is very unfinished. Gone back and installed my windows 8.1 backup I will revisit windows 10 in the new year.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    I thought someone might've already brought this up, but if they did, I can't find their post. Anyway, if you look at the start of the privacy policy it says "This privacy statement explains what personal data we collect from you and how we use it. It applies to Bing, Cortana, MSN, Office, OneDrive, Outlook.com, Skype, Windows, Xbox and other Microsoft services that display this statement."
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/priv...t/default.aspx

It doesn't specify Windows 10, it just says "Windows". So does that mean this applies to all versions of Windows? It kinda looks that way.. Do you guys really feel any safer sticking with Windows 7?
    I wondered that to but I can't remember if Windows 7 displayed that statement, I don't think it did/does but I'm happy to be corrected.

EDIT: Having looked at the privacy statement that comes with Windows 7 it mentions these specific features, Activation, Device Information Retrieval, Microsoft Error Reporting Service, SmartScreen Filter, Update Services, Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, Windows Defender, and Windows Help and Support.

Found the privacy statement that applies to Windows 7 here, although it seems extremely lacking as the additional details links don't seem to be providing additional details for me.
    Last edited by Corky34; 03-08-2015 at 08:43 AM.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Really liking it. It scales with monitor resolutions better, feels snappier, I like the smaller launcher UI and the return of Windows Backup is a major plus for me.

Only downside so far has been nVidia drivers. SLI memory leak makes my main PC unusable for now, still I always expect some dodgy drivers for the first week or two.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

5. Received thanks from:

Jonj1611 (03-08-2015)

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I wondered that to but I can't remember if Windows 7 displayed that statement, I don't think it did/does but I'm happy to be corrected.

EDIT: Having looked at the privacy statement that comes with Windows 7 it mentions these specific features, Activation, Device Information Retrieval, Microsoft Error Reporting Service, SmartScreen Filter, Update Services, Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program, Windows Defender, and Windows Help and Support.

Found the privacy statement that applies to Windows 7 here, although it seems extremely lacking as the additional details links don't seem to be providing additional details for me.
    Well that is interesting. It's not so different. It does state "Microsoft may access or disclose information about you, including the content of your communications, in order to: (a) comply with the law or respond to lawful requests or legal process; (b) protect the rights or property of Microsoft or our customers, including the enforcement of our agreements or policies governing your use of the software; or (c) act on a good faith belief that such access or disclosure is necessary to protect the personal safety of Microsoft employees, customers, or the public.". Very similar to the other one. But as I said, the other one doesn't specify Windows 10, it just says "Windows" which in legal terms would probably cover them all. I mean, it's not like they're referring only to the very first version of Windows with that.

So, it probably doesn't matter which version of Windows you use in the end. The only difference being that newer versions have slightly better capabilities for scraping your info..

Thanks

I am having serious problems with Cortana on my daughters laptop, all region settings are correct but just cannot get it to work for some reason.

Other than that, loving it so far.
    Jon

Registered+
    Thanks
    • anacdahudee's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 6700K 4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB DDR4-2133
      • Storage:
      • 512GB m.2 SSD and 2TB HD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia GTX 1070 x2 SLi
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Enterprise LTSC 1809

Would I be right in saying that on Windows 10 as long as you are using pro, on a local account and make sure you opt out of everything on installation you are at the same sort of privacy level you would be on Windows 7? Is there anything else you have to disable in control panel or settings?

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by anacdahudee View Post
    Would I be right in saying that on Windows 10 as long as you are using pro, on a local account and make sure you opt out of everything on installation you are at the same sort of privacy level you would be on Windows 7? Is there anything else you have to disable in control panel or settings?
    There's a bunch of other things to change after customising the install (make sure not to select express settings there). You need to go through all the settings and have a look. You need to turn off Cortana as well, plus the cloud one drive thing or whatever it's called. Don't login with a Microsoft account either. Once you've done all that, then take a look at the privacy policy and see what you think. Doesn't look good to me. But as we were discussing a few posts back - the privacy policy seems the same whatever version of Windows you use, unless I'm mistaken. They're outright saying they'll spy on you and take copies of your data if they believe it is in "good faith" to do so (not just for law enforement purposes). I give them some credit for stating it, but do you trust them for that? What happened to getting a warrant for things like this.. I Wouldn't assume you're any safer on any other version of Windows.

So if you need Windows 10 or can really benefit from it, then you might want it. I know I can benefit from it for the software I use and playing games. But, I'm trying to find a way out of having to use it right now and still be able to run all my software to a reasonable standard. I fear I will not find a good solution. If you think you can find an alternative solution for your needs by using Linux or something - TAKE IT

10. Received thanks from:

D-T (05-08-2015)

Registered+
    Thanks

Yes, the sharing of wifi. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/06...0_wi_fi_sense/

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Hard to say with certainty, but .... probably.

MS say that without signing in on an MS account Cortana (and other things) are "disabled". Question is .... what does that mean?

Two options include :-

1) Cortana not active. No data gathering/storing occurs by Cortana.

2) Cortana doesn't personalise anything, but still trawls data, stores and profiles.

So, under 2), Cortana is disabled in that it doesn't respond to you, doesn't provide 'personalised' help, suggestions, etc, but your data is still harvested. MS have therefore kept to the statement that Cortana is "disabled", but your privacy is no less invaded.

Which of those (or others) is what actually happens? I've no idea. Suffice it to say that, based on past events, I'm cynical, sceptical and suspicious about it.

EDIT. There are certainly other things to hunt down and turn off to maximise the degree of privacy. Quite a few of them. Too many for me to itemise. But there are quite a few decent articles out there, and no doubt, more will appear. Some settings are application-specific, some control panel, and some, IIRC, require changing registry keys. The extent of things I'd have to hunt down and change was one factor in me deciding not to bother with Win10. MS seem to have gone out of their way to make it hard to get it all.

Thanks

Apart from the upgrade being just a black screen, I had to wait a long while to make sure no HDD activity and manual rebooted and it was then ok. Installed my 970 etc ok Sound is the biggest issue for me (had to go back to onboard as the creative x-fi was not playing ball), slower to start up than my 7 but I think that will improve with better chipset/motherboard drivers. Otherwise it's just Windows where you need to strip out/stop the unnecessary stuff they like to add.

Thanks

I used these drivers for my X-Fi card - http://danielkawakami.blogspot.co.uk...t-pack-34.html
    Jon

Registered+
    Thanks
    • HavoCnMe's system
      • Motherboard:
      • EVGA 132-YW-E180-A1
      • CPU:
      • Q6600 @ 3.0GHz
      • Memory:
      • Corsair XMS3 DDR3 PC10666 8GB
      • Storage:
      • 3xWD320GB Raid0(OS) - Seagate 500GB (Backup and Downloads) - WD Cavi Blk 640GB (Media)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 470
      • PSU:
      • Corsair CMPSU-750TX (750w)
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master RC-690
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Ultimate x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell SW2309 23"
      • Internet:
      • Cox Communications

Wait until Microsoft gets hacked and now hackers have all that info? Its only a matter of time. That will be a great day for us all. JMO

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by HavoCnMe View Post
    Wait until Microsoft gets hacked and now hackers have all that info? Its only a matter of time. That will be a great day for us all. JMO
    Who do you mean by "hackers"? Is not more worrying that Microsoft, their friends and overlords all have a back door to everyone's data, that it's setup for them to just take it all with no effort and do what they like with it? When you say "hackers", I assume you mean the bad type (however any of us want to define that), but that's probably not much different than what I just described really. So they might not technically be hacking our computers to get it, but that doesn't really change anything. It's kinda worse!

Not having a go at you Just sayin..

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ZaO View Post
    Who do you mean by "hackers"? Is not more worrying that Microsoft, their friends and overlords all have a back door to everyone's data, that it's setup for them to just take it all with no effort and do what they like with it? When you say "hackers", I assume you mean the bad type (however any of us want to define that), but that's probably not much different than what I just described really. So they might not technically be hacking our computers to get it, but that doesn't really change anything. It's kinda worse!

Not having a go at you Just sayin..
    I think he meant that once MS have scavenged everything known and knowable about all of it, someone hacks MS servers and nicks it all. Why would hackers bother hacking millons of us when they can wait for MS to do the hard work, then nick it from them.

And, having someone (be it banks, intelligence services, government tax agencies, etc) collect vast amounts of extremely sensitive data on all of us, then flipping lose it through sheer stupidity or downright incompetence, isn't exactly unprecedented. Unfortunately.

18. Received thanks from:

D-T (05-08-2015)

ZaO

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    I think he meant that once MS have scavenged everything known and knowable about all of it, someone hacks MS servers and nicks it all. Why would hackers bother hacking millons of us when they can wait for MS to do the hard work, then nick it from them.

And, having someone (be it banks, intelligence services, government tax agencies, etc) collect vast amounts of extremely sensitive data on all of us, then flipping lose it through sheer stupidity or downright incompetence, isn't exactly unprecedented. Unfortunately.
    Yeh for sure, but I guess I'm more concerned with MS and friends having it in the first place! It is an extra worry on top of that, though!

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread Information