• crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Re: HAMR HDD capacities to scale from 4GB in 2016 to 100TB in 2025

Quote Originally Posted by stevie lee View Post
    having 100TB discs is all well and good, but you need some sort of protection for power interruptions when a lighting storm passes by at the exact moment you are doing your monthly backups to external drives. [snipped...]
    You've either been very unlucky (in which case I can empathise - really lousy day tech-wise yesterday) or you're doing backups wrong. Thought the whole purpose of backups was that the source was effectively read-only, in which case I'm a wee bitty confused how it would get corrupted too.
    You've kind of got a point though - UPS's are getting cheaper and more readily available - heck, my local Tesco's sells basic APC ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by devBunny View Post
    Maybe, by 2025, Microsoft will have got around to providing a file system with proper data integrity and recovery built into it.
    I thought NTFS had a reasonable reputation in that area? Personally, I'd prefer it if they just stopped messing around and adopted ext4, although I've got a soft spot for JFS too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumagawa View Post
    So Seagate is working on larger than 3.5 inch HDD's to get past 10TB while Samsung has 16TB 2.5 inch SSD's sampling now. Seagate should focus more on it's SSD's the HDD's time is numbered.
    Sigh Seagate doesn't have any real NAND tech, which is why it's folks like Toshiba, Micron/Crucial, Samsung and Sandisk who are making all the SSD headlines. On the other hand they do know (apologies shaithis!) about HDD's. So it makes sense to go down those roads you know, as the old cliché says.
    And SSD's are - if you believe the pundits - only a halfway house themselves. We're all going to be using some kind of atom scale or holographic storage in 25 years. (apparently)

No what I'm interested in is if HAMR tech is going to make our current "large drives" a lot cheaper to get. At the moment a 4TB desktop drive is about £120 (Seagate or WD-Red), but if that's the bottom rung of HAMR tech then maybe (here's hoping) that the price of those drives will fall to the levels of the 1TB or 2TB drives, (and those smaller drives will disappear).

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Technojunkie
    Thanks

having 100TB discs is all well and good, but you need some sort of protection for power interruptions when a lighting storm passes by at the exact moment you are doing your monthly backups to external drives.
    So as a consequence of that power interruption at the moment your computer is displaying the message 'please dont turn off your computer'. your computer loses power and all the files that are open in memory and the ones you are writing to your backup drive that are still in the write buffer all get heavily corrupted and you therefore lose everything on the windows drive and everything on the drive you were backing up to.
    That's irrelevent to drive size, and just down to backup regime.

Tao3: Separation http://www.taobackup.com/
    Chrome & Firefox addons for BBC News
    Follow me @twitter

3. Received thanks from:

crossy (25-08-2015)

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    There, fixed that for you. (BTW, I've had most problems with WD, and least with Seagate - but ymmv)
    I used to build a lot of NASes for customers....used to go through hundreds of HDDs per year. The failure rate on seagates (since around the 2TB size) is unbelievable.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks
    • stevie lee's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16 GB Corsair 3600 MHZ Cas 18
      • Storage:
      • 250GB BX500, M500 240GB, SN750 1TB NVME, mechs - Hitachi 1TB. WDblue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • sapphire 7700 1gb
      • PSU:
      • corsair RM550X
      • Case:
      • Xigmatech Midgard
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Home
      • Monitor(s):
      • 42" Panasonix viera (1080p limited RGB)
      • Internet:
      • plusnet fibre

You've either been very unlucky (in which case I can empathise - really lousy day tech-wise yesterday) or you're doing backups wrong. Thought the whole purpose of backups was that the source was effectively read-only, in which case I'm a wee bitty confused how it would get corrupted too.
    You've kind of got a point though - UPS's are getting cheaper and more readily available - heck, my local Tesco's sells basic APC ones.
    was just doing a clone of C drive, to save reinstalling everything. going to an external USB3 2.5" drive. usb drive got corrupted because its usb and hadn't finished writing everything. no idea how the source drive got corrupted, could be because its the windows drive and it was doing other stuff in background, who knows, its certainly a mystery to me.
    important other files go to USB drive, another computer, online and dvd. hadn't done backup of those yet this month

I suppose most people who have need of large scale storage will have actually thought about UPS, backup regimes and other assorted stuff beforehand. only use I have is for backing up steam/origin/gog to save downloading the games again.
    Last edited by stevie lee; 25-08-2015 at 02:52 PM.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    I used to build a lot of NASes for customers....used to go through hundreds of HDDs per year. The failure rate on seagates (since around the 2TB size) is unbelievable.
    Interesting, thanks for sharing that info. I'm always being told (by "experts") that I "can't go wrong with WD", yet this year alone I've had one fail completely and a second one perform like a dog and get binned.

Joking aside, the point I was trying to make was that all storage devices are eminently faliable.
    was just doing a clone of C drive, to save reinstalling everything. going to an external USB3 2.5" drive. usb drive got corrupted because its usb and hadn't finished writing everything. no idea how the source drive got corrupted, could be because its the windows drive and it was doing other stuff in background, who knows, its certainly a mystery to me.
    Wow, very unlucky! As you said in your first post in this thread, if you get a lightning zap then it's going to be a lottery what damage gets done. That's one reason why I make sure that there's a surge/spike suppressor on all my data-sensitive kit. But as you said, a UPS would be a far better (although more expensive) option.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    It's Seagate. All I see is a way to lose more data, faster.
    Many many years ago, probably on the CiX bulletin board or Usenet, someone said "I would rather write my data onto burning paper". Some things never change

I thought NTFS had a reasonable reputation in that area? Personally, I'd prefer it if they just stopped messing around and adopted ext4, although I've got a soft spot for JFS too.
    NTFS is a basic journaling filesystem, all the rage 20 years ago. The world has moved on, with the liked of ZFS and btrfs.

Apparently Facebook are moving their storage to btrfs, so even that seems to have finally come of age.

Thanks
    • Marcvs's system
      • CPU:
      • Acer Aspire 5810T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7/Mac OSX Lion
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 22" (1920*1200)

Sounds cool but still has the problem of being Seagate...

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

is blanker than our current chancellor.

Which, even if true, is better than having an egomaniac in power for years labouring (or Labouring) under the misapprehension that he was God's gift, when really, he made a complete Horlick's of about 90% of it.

There's is a point of view that says that, with limited exceptions, the best thing politicians can do is stay the bleep out of the way of the economy, be they ideologically left, or ideologically right.

My biggest concern with our current Chancellor is that he isn't a complete blank. If he were, it might be a refreshing change.

But, that really is going off-topic. I just couldn't resist.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Many many years ago, probably on the CiX bulletin board or Usenet, someone said "I would rather write my data onto burning paper. Some things never change.
    That (CIX) takes me back.

Interestingly (or not) since the days of my first HD (20MB, IIRC, Seagate), and my days (years) on CIX, the ONLY Seagate drives I've had fail were three out of four 40GB drives on an Adaptec hardware RAID board, and that was due to a PSU failure. The board survived, though, which is more that I can say for a high-end pre-production graphics board in that machine. And about half of the entire system. And by failure, I mean it physically blew chunks out of chips on the HD IF board, and left my office smelling of that acrid electridal burning stench for about a month. I can't really lay even those failures on Seagate.

Admittedly, most (all bar two) are/were below 2TB in size.

Thanks

RIP HDD, long live SSD

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    That (CIX) takes me back.

Interestingly (or not) since the days of my first HD (20MB, IIRC, Seagate), and my days (years) on CIX, the ONLY Seagate drives I've had fail were three out of four 40GB drives on an Adaptec hardware RAID board, and that was due to a PSU failure. The board survived, though, which is more that I can say for a high-end pre-production graphics board in that machine. And about half of the entire system. And by failure, I mean it physically blew chunks out of chips on the HD IF board, and left my office smelling of that acrid electridal burning stench for about a month. I can't really lay even those failures on Seagate.

Admittedly, most (all bar two) are/were below 2TB in size.
    My first drive was a 20MB Seagate, a SCSI drive connected to my Atari STE. It went back 3 times under warranty for replacement IIRC, as some days it just wouldn't spin up.

Then one day I bought a Quantum SCSI hard drive, I think it was an entire 40MB, and my expectations changed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information