Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cameron pledges to make fast broadband a legal right for all

Banned
    Thanks

Re: Cameron pledges to make fast broadband a legal right for all

Quote Originally Posted by CK_1985 View Post
    Although it sounds very useful, there are possible issues around the government releasing address-specific connectivity data. If you're trying to sell your house and the government suddenly tells everyone it has rubbish mobile signal and slow broadband, and as a result the market value goes down by a few grand, you're going to be mighty annoyed!
    One of the issue with mobile signal is that it is not fixed. We've just got through a mast upgrade from 2G (yes!) to 3g and the signal strength is much much worse.

Ironically the only way to guarentee quality mobile signal is to live in a rough area!

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by abaxas View Post
    So come on.... what do people 'need' fast internet for.....
    Work, backups and legitimate downloads for starters.......
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

We should be look at satalite

Thanks

Mobile signal is still patchy at best, my commute to work sees me losing my data & calls for 65% of the time i'm travelling. And that's on the M4 Corridor route into london!!!

Practically everything needs internet these days like:
    -Paperless billing
    -Service and support
    -Digital content
    -Government spying
    -Purchase of goods - Bricks and Mortar are still useful but with the vastness and cheapness of click to buy stores, purchasing something at a decent low price is damn near hard to find in store these days.
    -Communication - Email is now a primary method of contact and with the standardisation of digital signing of documents these are just as good as your scrawl on a piece of paper
    -News - The average consumer of news is now easily done through your phone/tablet/PC. I very rarely see people pick up the Metro on the train anymore and I actually saw someone sat next to me reading the same Metro on their Galaxy Note as the one on the seat opposite the other day
    -Fighting for your right to party - Vote for change, change.org, contacting your MP for suggestions of change are done mostly through email/web forms now

And with the size of the data we upload/download increasing over time this necessitates having ADSL2. Even being on 2.3mbps can be a slog.

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

6. Received thanks from:

outwar6010 (09-11-2015)

Thanks
    • BobF64's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V Pro
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7-3770K
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800
      • Storage:
      • Multiple HDD and SSD drives
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS DUAL-GTX1060-06G
      • PSU:
      • 750W Silverstone Strider Gold Evolution
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT02
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • HP ZR24w

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    I thought the reasons for VM not rolling out in more places was due to councils not granting permission, not wanting their roads dug up and the accompanying hassle involved with laying what they probably see as something that's already there in the form of BT cables, then again i could be talking rubbish as IDK about the inter workings of VM or councils.
    Could well be the visible causes, digging up roads is cheaper and probably quicker than other ways of installing things. That said, other ways might just not be viable, like via sewers or other existing ducts.

Heck, even BT sometimes have trouble installing fibre cabinets due to "locals" objecting to the "eye sore" they cause and sometimes a lack of space on the pavement.

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
    No point trying to insult yourself.

If you dont understand why, don't assume someone is trolling you, or you are just trolling yourslef.

Almost no-one needs fast internet. End of argument.

Thanks
    • Jowsey's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock H81M-ITX
      • CPU:
      • Intel Xeon E3-1230V3
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair XMS3
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Crucial MX100 & 2TB Seagate Barracuda
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 770 DCUII 2GB
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova GS 550 watt
      • Case:
      • Phanteks Evolv ITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64 bit
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 100Mb

If you dont understand why, don't assume someone is trolling you, or you are just trolling yourslef.

I work in an audit department and our software is constantly back up our work to our works server whilst we are off site. We need reasonable internet to ensure this works. If we return one day and somebody's laptop has died overnight then any work that hasn't been backed up needs to be re-performed. We are extremely time pressured on site. We normally only get 5 days as a team on site and we then move onto another job the next week. Can you see that our work being backed-up over the internet, is necessary?

Similarly, I know the tax department use a piece of software that has a centralised database of all our personal tax clients. They remote desktop into office to use this whilst away/working from home/in a blind panic in the last week of January. Once again, a decent internet connection is required for these things. Not preferable, required.

Those are just reasons specific to my situation in my working life. Lots of people depend on good internet infrastructure.
    Steam - ReapedYou - Feel free to add me!!

Thanks
    • Biscuit's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450M Mortar
      • CPU:
      • AMD 2700X (Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3)
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper 2 @ 3466MHz
      • Storage:
      • 500GB WD Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290X Vapor-X
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 750W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li PC-V359
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Internet:
      • BT Infinity 80/20

Ah yes, the old "you called me a troll therefore you are a troll" argument... good one.

The amount of reasons why the option of 'fast' internet should be a legal right are numerous, and people have posted them. You can choose to ignore them with claim that they are not good enough, but all that indicates is a difference of personal opinion and requirement. The argument may have ended for you but for most people there is no argument to be had.
    For most people the internet is seen much like another typical common utility and as such a certain level of service should be expected and enforced by regulation. Aside from the fair statement that the governments priorities are wrong, there really isnt anything to complain about with this legislation.... assuming they actually go through with it and meet their goals for once.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

Bear in mind that the definition of Fast Internet is 10Mbps. That sort of speed makes remote login to corporate portals and using Netflix a sensible speed and quality. You may have got it confused with all the 150Mbps Superfast stuff that gets plugged so much.

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Work, backups and legitimate downloads for starters.......
    Government is trying to encourage folks to "think green" - and teleworking is a fine way to eliminate the CO2 produced by the commute. They were also bleating on about "happiness" and not being stuck in a traffic jam in behind "Mater" in her Chelsea Tractor and front of some tailgating wide boy rep in a BMW/Audi is a fine way to improve happiness by decreasing stress.

There's also training, (big deal with me at the moment because my useless soon-to-be-ex employer doesn't believe in it, unless it's happy-clappy corporate ....). Try watching a video course on C#, Chef, Puppet or Ruby on a <10Mb/s link and it's really, really unpleasant. Plus - as shaithis says - there's legitimate downloads - e.g. a couple of gig for a Linux distro (to practice some of the new-found skills on?)

I'll also echo tabbykatze's list - I'm shocked by the number of sites that you need to use which have HTML5/Flash anims, ads, etc. So you deploy your favourite "detech'ing" add ons (AdBlockPlus, NoScript, etc) and promptly find that the website is rendered either barely usable or totally unusable.

On the other hand, I do kind of wonder about the common sense shown in pushing this when Osbourne is trying to remove heat from homes, and food from the tables of the poorest. Of course, maybe this is another diversion for the techno-literate chattering classes? Personally I think a better target (if we're wasting time on "tech") would be 99% 3G coverage for the UK, (and yes I know the Mobile Operators Association claims we're already at 99.3% - but I'm doubtful), or better still 100% 4G coverage - then we don't need fast broadband.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

Thanks
    • iranu's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Gene VI
      • CPU:
      • 4670K @4.3Ghz
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb Samsung Green
      • Storage:
      • 1x 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD 2x640gb HGST raid 0
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX620W Modular
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Silencio 352
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 ultimate 64 bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" DELL Ultrasharp U2312HM
      • Internet:
      • 16mb broadband

Typical PPE Oxford graduate politician spouting platitudes to gain votes without understanding the consequences of what he proposes. You can currently get broadband upto a certain speed for around the line rental price, which is roughly £17 per month (and a bit less with offers and paying the yearly cost upfront). There will be some people who will be getting a speed of 10mb or over, but most won't. I'm one of them, I get 7mb. In order for me to get a higher speed I need to pay more money.

Therefore your right to get 10mb will simply cost you more. A lot more. Instead of paying £15 a month for 7mb, you'll fully enjoy your new right to a minimum speed of 10mb by paying £30 a month, because areas with lots of people, where a roll out to the higher speed is cost effective, will have to pay above and beyond in order to subsidise those in rural areas where the cost is more per paying customer for installing the infrastructure.

This will hit the poorest hardest and they are the very people who need cheap broadband even if it's "only" 6mb.
    "Reality is what it is, not what you want it to be." Frank Zappa. ----------- "The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike." Huang Po.----------- "A drowsy line of wasted time bathes my open mind", - Ride.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

The basis of the proposal is to extend the "universal obligation" of BT (and only BT) to provide a relephone line on demand to include fast broadband, effectively compelling BT to provide broadband wherever you reside.

Obviously more remote areas will cost more to provision than densely populated areas (one reason why VM and Sky concentrate on densely populated areas) so those costs will essentially be cross subsidised by all other customers. As that isn't required by VM and Sky, their prices can be lower.

Again, cross subsidy isn't new, it applies to phone line installation costs, which are capped, and Royal Mail charge the same to deliver a letter, whether it is to the house next door, or one several hundred miles away.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    Bear in mind that the definition of Fast Internet is 10Mbps. That sort of speed makes remote login to corporate portals and using Netflix a sensible speed and quality. You may have got it confused with all the 150Mbps Superfast stuff that gets plugged so much.
    We all know (or at least should know) that most VPN/corporate access required a higher upload speed than we get with most symetrical connections.

Quote Originally Posted by spacein_vader View Post
    I work in an audit department and our software is constantly back up our work to our works server whilst we are off site. We need reasonable internet to ensure this works. If we return one day and somebody's laptop has died overnight then any work that hasn't been backed up needs to be re-performed. We are extremely time pressured on site. We normally only get 5 days as a team on site and we then move onto another job the next week. Can you see that our work being backed-up over the internet, is necessary?

Similarly, I know the tax department use a piece of software that has a centralised database of all our personal tax clients. They remote desktop into office to use this whilst away/working from home/in a blind panic in the last week of January. Once again, a decent internet connection is required for these things. Not preferable, required.
    In terms of backup, this team must be producing 10s of gigabytes of data a day. Also, we we already know, the actual cost of any SLA on your broadband is huge. Do not confuse something being fast, with being available. If you have a standard residential or business broadband there is no SLA. If something is busines critical, you should be paying for the correct product.

Remote desktop software is much a function of latency than overall speed. Speed != latency. Hence why lots of citrix installations live on the end of 'slow' but reliable connections.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by CK_1985 View Post
    Although it sounds very useful, there are possible issues around the government releasing address-specific connectivity data. If you're trying to sell your house and the government suddenly tells everyone it has rubbish mobile signal and slow broadband, and as a result the market value goes down by a few grand, you're going to be mighty annoyed!
    I looked up my house before I moved a few years ago on Sam Knows Broadband. It told me what ADSL speed I could expect, that VDSL was available, where the exchange is located, all sorts of stuff. I would have thought by now it would be part of the survey.

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

We all know (or at least should know) that most VPN/corporate access required a higher upload speed than we get with most symetrical connections.
    So we've moved from 'nobody needs Fast Broadband' to 'Fast Broadband isn't fast enough'?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information