Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Intel Skylake Non-K OC KOed by ASRock

Thanks

Re: Intel Skylake Non-K OC KOed by ASRock

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Of course not.....they never quickly released a new 6950 that couldn't be unlocked to a 6970.....no, figment of our imaginations.
    Because of silicon defects, not all 6950 would be physically capable of a 6970 unlock. GPUs with some parts disabled for yield are not just an artificial limitation like Intel's feature fuses - multiplier modifying can't be broken. It's likely that AMD simply had good yields early on which allowed a large percentage of successful unlocks, i.e. parts they could have sold as fully-enabled 6970 but had to sell as 6950 as there weren't enough partly-defective dies to meet 6950 demand. But it is not correct to assume that all GPUs would 'unlock' - same with countless other GPUs and CPU core unlocks. The large-die GK110 didn't even have a fully-enabled SKU for ages after release until yield improved.

It's possible they started properly fusing off cores (rather than just setting cores in firmware), but I can't seem to find any evidence to support that besides a bit of speculation on Google. And there are people with later model 6950 'unlocked' to 6970 which contradicts that. So :shrug:, maybe AMD just had a few batches with a higher defect density back from TSMC?

I'm not saying it's definitely not artificial, some of the time (Only AMD would know that), but it's definitely not artificial on all dies. And to a consumer, I can't think of a way to tell apart faulty+fused cores from working+fused cores.

Anthropomorphic Personification shaithis's Avatar
    Thanks
    • shaithis's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77 WS
      • CPU:
      • i7 3770k @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 32GB HyperX 1866
      • Storage:
      • Lots!
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Fury X
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850
      • Case:
      • Corsair 600T (White)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell 3007
      • Internet:
      • Zen 80Mb Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by watercooled View Post
    Because of silicon defects, not all 6950 would be physically capable of a 6970 unlock. GPUs with some parts disabled for yield are not just an artificial limitation like Intel's feature fuses - multiplier modifying can't be broken.
    You either don't remember the fiasco well or have selective memory. Every single 6950 could unlock, which was why they then fused of the contacts and then NONE of them unlocked.
    Main PC: Asus Rampage IV Extreme / 3960X@4.5GHz / Antec H1200 Pro / 32GB DDR3-1866 Quad Channel / Sapphire Fury X / Areca 1680 / 850W EVGA SuperNOVA Gold 2 / Corsair 600T / 2x Dell 3007 / 4 x 250GB SSD + 2 x 80GB SSD / 4 x 1TB HDD (RAID 10) / Windows 10 Pro, Yosemite & Ubuntu
    HTPC: AsRock Z77 Pro 4 / 3770K@4.2GHz / 24GB / GTX 1080 / SST-LC20 / Antec TP-550 / Hisense 65k5510 4K TV / HTC Vive / 2 x 240GB SSD + 12TB HDD Space / Race Seat / Logitech G29 / Win 10 Pro
    HTPC2: Asus AM1I-A / 5150 / 4GB / Corsair Force 3 240GB / Silverstone SST-ML05B + ST30SF / Samsung UE60H6200 TV / Windows 10 Pro
    Spare/Loaner: Gigabyte EX58-UD5 / i950 / 12GB / HD7870 / Corsair 300R / Silverpower 700W modular
    NAS 1: HP N40L / 12GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Arrays || NAS 2: Dell PowerEdge T110 II / 24GB ECC RAM / 2 x 3TB Hybrid arrays || Network:Buffalo WZR-1166DHP w/DD-WRT + HP ProCurve 1800-24G
    Laptop: Dell Precision 5510 Printer: HP CP1515n || Phone: Huawei P30 || Other: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 Pro 10.1 CM14 / Playstation 4 + G29 + 2TB Hybrid drive

Thanks

I remember some people complaining that they bought a 6950 expecting a 6970. A well-known concept that some GPU parts are sold with cores disabled in order to make more dies saleable because of the fact of processor manufacturing which is silicon defects; it had been done for a long time before the 6970 and continues to this day. I gave the GK110 as an example of a part which didn't have a fully-enabled part at all on release until yields improved.

It is completely false to assume every card will unlock. I gave examples of why a large percentage of early cards (certainly not all though) successfully 'unlocked', and it's unreasonable to assume you're guaranteed an unlock upon buying a card which has no guarantee to run with extra hardware enabled. It's also easy to find reports of later production parts successfully unlocking. Assuming AMD did get extremely good yields with their 6970 and found that more dies than not were capable of operating as a 6970 then they would of course been selling lots of them as the 6950 - like with nearly all GPU families they use the same die for both end products.

Recent examples of same-die GPUs being the whole Fury family, 970+980, 980Ti+TitanX, 290+290X, etc etc. In theory a 970 could 'unlock' to a 980 if there were no real defects or hard-disabled cores.

The other point being that AMD, even if they did start fusing off cores, didn't essentially break the 'upgrade' for existing users past their return period or whatever.
    Last edited by watercooled; 08-02-2016 at 06:38 PM.

Thanks

Any news if the ASRock Fatal1ty E3V5 will see the light of day?

Thanks

My guess is you may be able to put this back in with a bios editor (used to put my business name in, instead of award etc, not to mention using other features I'd like to expose). Been a while since I've messed with that crap, but IIRC modbin, cbrom etc would probably lead to some apps to do this (if they aren't still used). They expose whatever the bios hides Useful for Dells etc, but also probably in this case for those with the affected boards. I highly doubt they yanked it out, most likely just changed default from yes to no for a feature that is in the bios. Perhaps someone can check for an FVIR option with one of these and report

6. Received thanks from:

ik9000 (11-02-2016)

Thanks
    • bronan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z97 Extreme 6
      • CPU:
      • Intel I4790
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 32 Tb usb3 (ext 8 drive case)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4 x AMD R9 390x watercooled
      • PSU:
      • 1600 watt EVGA
      • Case:
      • Stacker Server case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x dell 30 " 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • vdsl 80/10

The might of intel is enormous, its the richest, most powerfull and largest.
    No company can really compete with them AMD is a dwarf compared to intel.
    They use any means even the bad ones to get what they want, ofcourse making sure evidence is non existant. Asus is not small at all but against the might of intel .... nothing.

Thanks
    • bronan's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asrock Z97 Extreme 6
      • CPU:
      • Intel I4790
      • Memory:
      • 16 Gb DDR3
      • Storage:
      • 32 Tb usb3 (ext 8 drive case)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 4 x AMD R9 390x watercooled
      • PSU:
      • 1600 watt EVGA
      • Case:
      • Stacker Server case
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x dell 30 " 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • vdsl 80/10

The Ati flashing and cpu stuff worked well untill amd decided, to cut the faulty parts with laser.
    By that preventing them to ever work again. So if you tried to unlock what worked on the old product, you got fused parts because then you enabled the damaged cutted chips.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information