Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    25,734
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,384 times in 519 posts

    Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    As is now usual, it employs Thunderbolt 3 over a USB Type-C port.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked
    119 times in 79 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Crucial Ballastix Elite DDR3 @1866
      • Storage:
      • 64Gb M4 + 240Gb arc100 + 500Gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W Semi modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Samsung LED
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~30Mb

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    "Importantly it allows not just AMD cards to be externalised and connected to systems, which would otherwise offer puny 3D performance, but newer Nvidia GPUs too."

    I don't think this sentence is very fair on AMD. I wouldn't describe a Fury (or even the new rx 480) as puny 3D performance. Sure its not 1080 territory but to describe as puny just sounds biased.
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    342
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    27 times in 23 posts

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    Particularly as "AMD Xconnect" is just PCIe with hotplugging, but that happens to occur on an AMD card. same as 'Freesync' is DP Adaptive Sync that is implemented on an AMD card. Interface standards that existed before AMD adopted and branded them.

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Location
    New Delhi
    Posts
    8
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    0 times in 0 posts
    • aakash_sin's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z170N Gaming 5
      • CPU:
      • intel i5-6600 (Non-K)
      • Memory:
      • Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 240 GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • AMD Sapphire 7770 (Polaris soon)
      • PSU:
      • Corsair GS600
      • Case:
      • Cooler Master Elite 130 (Mini-ITX)
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2440

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    "..not just AMD cards to be externalised and connected to systems, which would otherwise offer puny 3D performance, but newer Nvidia GPUs too."

    I don't think this sentence is very fair on AMD. I wouldn't describe a Fury (or even the new rx 480) as puny 3D performance. Sure its not 1080 territory but to describe as puny just sounds biased.
    Exactly! How biased! Puny? I am using 1GB 7770, and I still won't use the word "Puny" for it!

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London (almost)
    Posts
    1,068
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    33 times in 27 posts

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    THis looks larger than my entire sff build, why?
    Am I missing something?

  6. #6
    mush-mushroom b0redom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Middlesex
    Posts
    3,076
    Thanks
    116
    Thanked
    286 times in 219 posts
    • b0redom's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • CPU:
      • 3.4Ghz Quad Core i7
      • Memory:
      • 24GB
      • Storage:
      • 3TB Fusion Drive
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nViidia GTX 680MX
      • PSU:
      • Some iMac thingy
      • Case:
      • Late 2012 pointlessly thin iMac enclosure
      • Operating System:
      • OSX 10.8 / Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 2713H
      • Internet:
      • Be+

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    Because with laptops getting smaller and consuming less power it would be cool to be able to be out and about working and then plug in for a quick blast using an external GPU. It would mean I don't have to own and upgrade a desktop AND laptop.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Wilmslow
    Posts
    443
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked
    75 times in 54 posts
    • mtyson's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-B85M-HD3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 4790T
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk 128GB SSD + Seagate 750GB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Windforce GTX 660OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair 400W
      • Case:
      • Zalman Z9 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer IPS 24-inch 1080p
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb Sky broadband

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    Quote Originally Posted by cheesemp View Post
    "Importantly it allows not just AMD cards to be externalised and connected to systems, which would otherwise offer puny 3D performance, but newer Nvidia GPUs too."

    I don't think this sentence is very fair on AMD. I wouldn't describe a Fury (or even the new rx 480) as puny 3D performance. Sure its not 1080 territory but to describe as puny just sounds biased.
    Sorry, its just badly worded. I was just referring to typical integrated graphics - not AMD. I'll change it.

  8. Received thanks from:

    cheesemp (06-06-2016)

  9. #8
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    13,882
    Thanks
    1,093
    Thanked
    1,980 times in 1,656 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HP Pavilion
      • CPU:
      • A10 4600M
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD7660G (IGP)
      • PSU:
      • Battery/HP 19v brick
      • Case:
      • HP Pavilion G6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1366x768 laptop panel

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    Quote Originally Posted by mtyson View Post
    ... Sorry, its just badly worded. I was just referring to typical integrated graphics - not AMD. I'll change it.
    Yeah, it took me a second reading to get your original meaning; I can see what you were aiming for but the wording is a bit ... esoteric

  10. Received thanks from:

    mtyson (06-06-2016)

  11. #9
    Now 100% Apple free cheesemp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Near the New forest
    Posts
    2,014
    Thanks
    115
    Thanked
    119 times in 79 posts
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Z77-D3H
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5 3570k @ 4.2
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Crucial Ballastix Elite DDR3 @1866
      • Storage:
      • 64Gb M4 + 240Gb arc100 + 500Gb HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650W Semi modular
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 23" Samsung LED
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~30Mb

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    Quote Originally Posted by mtyson View Post
    Sorry, its just badly worded. I was just referring to typical integrated graphics - not AMD. I'll change it.
    Thanks for fixing it.
    Trust

    Laptop : Lenovo G505s A8-5550m 8Gb 240Gb SSD Radeon HD 8550G + Radeon HD 8570M dual graphics

  12. Received thanks from:

    mtyson (06-06-2016)

  13. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Sussex
    Posts
    886
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked
    106 times in 101 posts
    • kompukare's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V LX
      • CPU:
      • Intel i5-3570K
      • Memory:
      • 2 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Elite PC3-14900
      • Storage:
      • Crucial MX200 | Sandisk Extreme 120GB SSD | WDC 1TB Green | Samsung 1Tb Spinpoint
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 290 VaporX 7950
      • PSU:
      • Antec 650 Gold TruePower (Seasonic) or Seasonic SII-330
      • Case:
      • Aerocool DS 200 (silenced, 53.6 litres)l)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 2 x Dell P2414H

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    Right, that makes four Thunderbolt docks by my count now: Razer, Gigabyte, Asus (ROG XG), and PowerColor (Devil Box). Hopefully this means there will some options cheaper than Razor's $500/$400 ones.

  14. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    London (almost)
    Posts
    1,068
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked
    33 times in 27 posts

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Because with laptops getting smaller and consuming less power it would be cool to be able to be out and about working and then plug in for a quick blast using an external GPU. It would mean I don't have to own and upgrade a desktop AND laptop.
    I get that but in a similar sized box I fit a whole system including full size GPU. This just needs a psu and space for a gpu, maybe a fan..

  15. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    192
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked
    6 times in 4 posts

    Re: Gigabyte teases its prototype external GPU dock

    Quote Originally Posted by krazy_olie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by b0redom View Post
    Because with laptops getting smaller and consuming less power it would be cool to be able to be out and about working and then plug in for a quick blast using an external GPU. It would mean I don't have to own and upgrade a desktop AND laptop.
    I get that but in a similar sized box I fit a whole system including full size GPU. This just needs a psu and space for a gpu, maybe a fan..
    No, no, you don't understand. If you have it small enough to go in a bag with the laptop, people won't upgrade laptops more often, that's less sales! IMPOSSIBLE! INSANE! There needs to be one of these with another full graphics card at every place you intend to dock the laptop, no question. Either that, or you forget it and just be a good consumer and upgrade the laptop every year *big genuine fake smiles*.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •