Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google publishes Nexus device End of Life timetable

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Google publishes Nexus device End of Life timetable

For example, the Nexus 6 will get no guaranteed Android version updates after October 2016.
    Read more.

Registered+
    Thanks

Re: Google publishes Nexus device End of Life timetable

2 years guaranteed is way too short. Should be 3 years at the very minimum. Are they slaking is order to appease the the fear of manufacturers who make so little efforts in updating their devices?
    I'm starting to be tired of the way android is developing. Sadly, other alternatives are not great.

Thanks

Completely agree with Chuck - but equally annoyed with the way MicroSD slots are disappearing seemingly solely so the manufacturers can overcharge for the larger memory versions of their devices

Seething Cauldron of Hatred TheAnimus's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow this is enough to put me off Android.
    throw new ArgumentException (String, String, Exception)

Thanks

Admittedly the phone isn't going to just stop working but at the same time 2 years is just far too short in my opinion.

Now I can understand new features not being added to older phones (ala iPhone) but I find it highly unlikely that 'higher end' (which nexus are when you think about it) won't be able to run android in 2-3 years from. Having said iOS updates after 2 years seem to 'slow down' the phone...

This is purely a case of selling more phones rather than actually being able to update it, the amount of times I've seen cyanogenmod or custom roms with the latest android available for old devices show it is possible to run most of the newest versions.

Banned - repeated insults to other members
    Thanks

2 years for Google. 18 mths for most Android makers. Its about the same for the fruit company since their latest iOSes tend not to run well on older fruit phones.

Still I feel security patches should be way longer. Consider this - Android development has addressed fragmentation very well by making many Google/Android apps modular and breaking them off from the OS for easy updating via Play Store.

Perhaps Android Nutella or future versions should focus on breaking things up even more (i.e. kernel and other low level systems) for security patch updates via Play Store.

In the meantime, at least we have custom ROMs.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by preter_s View Post
    Still I feel security patches should be way longer. Consider this - Android development has addressed fragmentation very well by making many Google/Android apps modular and breaking them off from the OS for easy updating via Play Store.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that 'security patches' were not included in this EOL date.

Thanks

Hasn't this has been the case for a number of years now, dating back to at least the Nexus 4.

The good thing about Android (and Nexus devices in particular) is that there's nearly always a way to install the most recent release. Heck I even installed Marshmallow on my old Galaxy S3 (spring 2012) the other day for a friend that had broken their phone - it's slow, but it's usable.

Google are trying to get manufacturers to leave as much as possible out of their ROMs, with HTC releasing the new 10 with basically stock Android and even leaving out their own apps in favour of the Google ones, allowing users to download the HTC versions from the Play Store if they prefer. Sony and Motorola both offer near stock ROMs too.

As for the lack of SD cards increasing, I can't think of a flagship phone released in the last year which didn't have an SD card, with the exception of the Nexus devices. The Sony Z5 range and X do, the LG G5 does, the HTC 10 does, the Moto X Style & Play do, the Galaxy S7/S7e does, the Note 7 almost certainly will. Most of the Chinese phones offer microSD card slots (often shared with a dual-sim slot).

I'm sure there are some new phones released below flagship specs which don't offer a microSD card slot, but they're certainly not becoming increasingly rare - quite the opposite.

Thanks

Two years is indeed too short, for devices which nowadays should have a useful life in excess of four years.

Ten years ago we tolerated short support lifetimes as the pace of progress was much greater - revolutions in terms of features and functionality which encouraged us to upgrade more frequently. The gradual, predictable evolution we have now is to be expected for a mature product sector, and the level of quality and support should match.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Personally I rarely have a phone last more than 2 years before the hardware starts having issues (either dodgy batteries or screen issues) so this isn't a deal breaker for me however I'm pleased to see the security updates last for 3 years.

Interestingly google are shoving more and more functionality into the google app (and associated apps) that fragmentation just isn't a big issue anymore. It even seems to be able to update the android APIs post 4.x...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Registered+
    Thanks

If you want to have a functioning device for the maximum amount of time, or have a device retain its value as much as possible there can be no other choice than Apple. Plenty of reasons to dislike the iOS approach but things like this make Android seem disposable.

Thanks

"In the meantime, at least we have custom ROMs."

Ah, fond memories, the days of windows mobile 6.5 etc. A person posts a cooked rom:
    -43 pages of posts from people loving the rom. The maker is the best ever
    -12 pages of comments resolving a few issues
    -84 pages of people shouting as it doesn't work

A new rom arrives...
    -43 pages of....

STAY AWAY from cooked roms if you'd prefer your phone to work.

Thanks
    • loyal986's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI AM1
      • CPU:
      • Athlon 5350
      • Memory:
      • 8Gb
      • Storage:
      • 820Gb
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD 8400
      • PSU:
      • 250 Watt
      • Case:
      • Kung Fu
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Fujitsu 22"
      • Internet:
      • 10240/1024

Better Nexus than my redmi note 2. Came out last year and this years no updates. I hate Xiaomi for this one. My next phone will be Nexus. No more Kung Fu trick that last short.

Thanks
    • cheesemp's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS TUF x570-plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3600
      • Memory:
      • 16gb Corsair RGB ram
      • Storage:
      • 256Gb NVMe + 500Gb TcSunbow SDD (cheap for games only)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 480 8Gb Nitro+ OC (with auto OC to above 580 speeds!)
      • PSU:
      • Cooler Master MWE 750 bronze
      • Case:
      • Gamemax f15m
      • Operating System:
      • Win 11
      • Monitor(s):
      • 32" QHD AOC Q3279VWF
      • Internet:
      • FTTC ~35Mb

Quote Originally Posted by loyal986 View Post
    Better Nexus than my redmi note 2. Came out last year and this years no updates. I hate Xiaomi for this one. My next phone will be Nexus. No more Kung Fu trick that last short.
    As someone with a redmi note 2 (having upgraded from a Nexus 5) I would concur but have your tried xiaomi.eu? They do custom versions of the redmi note 2 ROM that are internationalised. As bonus you can get root etc. Its a pain in the butt to install but better than the default ROM. They are just going to Miui 8 however the android base version is still suck at 5.0. You can thank useless mediatek for that...
    Trust

Laptop : Dell Inspiron 1545 with Ryzen 5500u, 16gb and 256 NVMe, Windows 11.

Thanks

OH noes, only 2 years support.

At least they have the balls to actually tell their customers. Nearly any other manufacturer it's a case of buy it and pray.

Thanks

Yeah that sucks, I was hoping for more updates for my N6 for longer than that!!! Hell my contract will not be up until the next again year

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information