• Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Re: Windows 10 Anniversary Update starts to roll out today

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Windows key and search has been the most efficient way to access everything for a while now
    While that's true, it's only true as long as search finds what you need. Sadly that's not always the case, and it doesn't behave predictably.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shaithis View Post
    Windows key and search has been the most efficient way to access everything for a while now (going back to Windows 7 at least).
    Except it uses something like bing to actually find stuff and never finds what you look for... The search bar never has worked anything like ctrl+f

Registered+
    Thanks

Awesome more spyware; glad I uninstalled it on the laptop I bought and put on W8

Thanks
    • crossy's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Sabertooth X99
      • CPU:
      • Intel 5830k / Noctua NH-D15
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 850Pro NVMe, 1TB Samsung 850EVO SSD, 1TB Seagate SSHD, 2TB WD Green, 8TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix GTX970OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX750 (modular)
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster HAF932 (with wheels)
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64bit, Ubuntu 16.04LTS
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG Flattron W2361V
      • Internet:
      • VirginMedia 200Mb

Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    Except it uses something like bing to actually find stuff and never finds what you look for... The search bar never has worked anything like ctrl+f
    If you mean that god-awful Cortana bar then I'd agree 100%. I usually just hit the Windows key and start typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by WritersBlock View Post
    Awesome more spyware; glad I uninstalled it on the laptop I bought and put on W8
    Seriously?! While I'm not a big fan of W10, I'd put a lot of money on it being waaaaayyyy better than 8. Still, each to their own I suppose.

Career status: still enjoying my new career in DevOps, but it's keeping me busy...

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

Well, Win 10 just updated on my laptop.

I installed Win 10 about three weeks ago on my laptop because the existing Win 8.1 install was playing up, it was my first Win 10 experience and I was content with Windows 10 the way I had set it up... But post anniversary edition update, it's fudged.

1) A minor but fixable annoyance... During the update, the hardware drivers had reinstalled, not only resetting all my changes but also reinstalling bad drivers which I had specifically removed and replaced.

2) Group policy editor has been neutered - the lock screen is back, Windows apps are back, Windows tips are back... and there's no way to turn it off again.

Time to reinstall Windows 8.1

EDIT: Fudge it. I'm still really annoyed at Microsoft. I'm installing Linux.

EDIT2: Thankfully the 'restore previous build' function works and 'defer upgrades' has been ticked, for now. I'm still not happy with MS's direction with Win 10* and will be uninstalling it on the weekend.

* Not that I was happy to begin with, but this was the last straw.
    Last edited by DDY; 03-08-2016 at 12:46 PM.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Welcome to the light, DDY.

Converts = Converts + 1.

Only a few hundred million to go.

This may take a while. I guess I'd better lay in sandwiches and some coffee. Could be a long night .... er, lifetime.

DDY
    Thanks
    • DDY's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock Z390M Pro 4
      • CPU:
      • i5 9600k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) 3600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Adata SX8200 NVME 1TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RX 5700
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus Gold 550W
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2715H

I have to say, it will be a reluctant conversion.

Having spent some time with Linux in the past, I'd learnt to only ever make changes during a free weekend because I'd end up spending hours web searching for a solution to an unexpected problem.

But that's preferable to Microsoft stopping me from doing something relatively trivial with my own equipment because doing so will make them less money.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post

Having spent some time with Linux in the past, I'd learnt to only ever make changes during a free weekend because I'd end up spending hours web searching for a solution to an unexpected problem.

But that's preferable to Microsoft stopping me from doing something relatively trivial with my own equipment because doing so will make them less money.
    I know what you mean, although in recent years those problems seem to have become fewer. Running plain old office applications on one of the standard desktops is fine, and even if you want to run standard advanced applications like mail or we servers, most of those are available as binaries.

But I'm sure you know all that!
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DDY View Post

I'm reluctant, too, not least because I've been largely or entirely MS since, oh, the early-ish 1980s, before even '286's had been invented. I did have the odd diversion with Netware and OS/2 (still have, but don't use) both.

So going Linux was very reluctantly.

But for a while now, MS have been making decisions I didn't like. It really started in earnest with Win8, and wasn't just what they did but the way they did it, abd the way they reacted to feedback. That's when the rot set in. I said back then that reading between the lines of their actions and remarks most of it in public but a small amount of private comment from insiders too, I thought the writing was on the wall. It's not, for me, even as simple as what Win10 is, but the very firmly indicated direction of travel of the Windows roadmap. The final straw, the absolutely uncrossable red line for me was mandatory updates that I could not prevent or opt out of, that have the ability to completrly change the character of the OS on my machines, whether I wsnted it or not.

When Win10 was released, I said I wasn't prepared to even consider installing unless several criteria eere met, and three central ones were :-

- not required to have an MS account. Well, that can (so far) still be achieved.
    - Cortana was utterly disabled. Not just a soft "off" but not evrn running in the background.
    - I get control back over update opt-out.

The third never materialised .... not that I thought it would. Cortana could be turned off, and in fact required an nS account so using only Local Accounts appeared to disable it, But it wasn't clear if backgtound analysis was disabled, or if it was still running but Cortana simply wouldn't to user interaction.

Now, if reports are correct, Cortana csn't be disabled.

And that it entirely consistent with, and indeed predicted by, the road I believed, and still believe, MS is on.

So yeah, I use Linux reluctantly. I didn't want to switch. It's a bit like my stance on the EU. I was never wild about, but was reasonably content, with tge EEC. But then, without permission from the people, out Powers That Be moved the goalposts, with Maastricht and then Lisbon. The transmutation of EEC to EU had the same effect on me (skin crawling, wanting to puke) that the transmutation from Win7 to Win10 had. That is to say, oh, hell no, no way, forget it.

In both cases, the solution, for me was, albeit reluctantly, Leave.

10. Received thanks from:

SineWave (09-08-2016)

Sprouts are not food Attila the Bun's Avatar
    Thanks
    • Attila the Bun's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Maximus VII Gene
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 4790K with H100i cooler
      • Memory:
      • 16GB CORSAIR Vengence 1600
      • Storage:
      • 250 GB Samsung 850 EVO / 256GB Samsung 830 / 1 TB Hitachi Deskstar
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS RADEON 7970 CU II TOP
      • PSU:
      • 650w EVGA Supernova G2
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V359
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 Pro / Win 8(laptop)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Various
      • Internet:
      • 16mb down, 1mb up

I have recently bought a new laptop, mainly for the use of Girlfriend the Bun, but also so I have some gaming abilty when on holiday.
    It has Win 10 pre-installed and I must admit that so far it just annoys me but this is probably because I know that there in the background there is MS not-so-quietly dredging my stuff. The trouble is that Windows is still the way to go (currently at least) for PC gaming so I can't divorce myself completely from MS but I am seriously considering a WIN 7 licence for it.

Anyway, because of this, I was thinking that I would like to try out Linux on my old laptop and wondered if there was a version that fellow Hexites would recommend to a complete newbie. Ubuntu is one I'm aware of but I've read that Mint is also easy to use. Essentially I would like something that offers a switch on and use capability but with the option of me being able to learn more as and when I have the time.
    Of course I'm perfect you just need to lower your expectations.

Thanks

I use Fedora. It is a bit of a test bed for Red Hat who market Linux commercially but because of that backing, it is well supported and has quite o lot of features (mainly background) that eventually make their way into the commercial offering.

But most of the mainstream Linux distro S are well supported, and fairly easy to install, so either Ubuntu or mint would be good to try.

You can get versions that run off a DVD, so you don't have to install anything to try them out.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

13. Received thanks from:

Attila the Bun (04-08-2016),SineWave (09-08-2016)

Registered+
    Thanks

Week before upgraded seems good, But I has to check with more enhancements, like gaming, work environment. Speed and ease of access.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by crossy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aniilv View Post
    If you mean that god-awful Cortana bar then I'd agree 100%. I usually just hit the Windows key and start typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by WritersBlock View Post
    Seriously?! While I'm not a big fan of W10, I'd put a lot of money on it being waaaaayyyy better than 8. Still, each to their own I suppose.
    When you say "seriously?!" to a guy that likes W8 you just confirm how biased you are towards Windows 10. The reason for that must be being either too young to remember anything else but W10, being a Microsoft [paid?] shill, or maybe just simply not thinking straight? I can now say "seriously?!", too, because I find W8 better than W10, and W7 even better than W9. Go figure, everybody has an opinion eh?

But even more seriously, I don't use either of them. I use Debian Linux instead of that MS just-plain-bad-ware and annoyance-ware, and W7 for music making only. W10 is a serious pile of completely unnecessary and annoying MS crap. Seriously! Linux = peace of mind and all I can do is laugh at all these poor W10 users.

I'm starting to be a Microsoft fan because they're doing so much for the Linux and OSX communities by making W10 such a hard and extremely annoying pill to swallow! Way to go Microsoft! Cheers!
    Last edited by SineWave; 09-08-2016 at 04:04 PM. Reason: I farted and accidentally pressed "save", sorry. :/

Thanks
    • virtuo's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte Aorus Master X570
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 64Gb G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sabrent 2TB PCIE4 NVME + NAS upon NAS upon NAS
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX 3090 FE
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX850 80+ Platinum
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2 Grey
      • Operating System:
      • RedStar 3, Ubuntu, Win 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung CRG90 5140x1440 120hz
      • Internet:
      • PlusNet's best, but still poor, attempt

Well I installed the anniversary update and everything seems to be okay, I think the gfx driver is bit wobbly as the desktop/task bar refreshes periodically - but I haven't updated to the latest nvidia drivers yet.

Surprised at how good the ubuntu integration is (there's a few hoops to jump through to get it set up). Can grep, ssh and emacs around just fine - even seen someone's managed to get the unity desktop running..!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SineWave View Post
    When you say "seriously?!" to a guy that likes W8 you just confirm how biased you are towards Windows 10. The reason for that must be being either too young to remember anything else but W10, being a Microsoft [paid?] shill, or maybe just simply not thinking straight? I can now say "seriously?!", too, because I find W8 better than W10, and W7 even better than W9. Go figure, everybody has an opinion eh?

But even more seriously, I don't use either of them. I use Debian Linux instead of that MS just-plain-bad-ware and annoyance-ware, and W7 for music making only. W10 is a serious pile of completely unnecessary and annoying MS crap. Seriously! Linux = peace of mind and all I can do is laugh at all these poor W10 users.

I'm starting to be a Microsoft fan because they're doing so much for the Linux and OSX communities by making W10 such a hard and extremely annoying pill to swallow! Way to go Microsoft! Cheers!
    Well, while I agree with the general sentiment of that post, and it did make me smile, the fact that crossy thinks that W10 is waaaayyyy better than Windows 8 may be more of a reflection of how bad he thinks Windows 8 is/was (not that I wish for a minute to interpret his intentions)

Although I have only had a brief exposure to 10 (setting something up for someone else) the GUI does seem more intuitive that win8 (almost as good as 7!)

However the other 'features' that Microsoft have introduced almost certainly mean that Win7 will be the last Windows operating system I will be purchasing for the foreseeable future.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Gentoo Ricer
    Thanks
    • aidanjt's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Strix Z370-G
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-8700K
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Corsiar LPX 3000C15
      • Storage:
      • 500GB Samsung 960 EVO
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 970 SC ACX 2.0
      • PSU:
      • EVGA G3 750W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define C Mini
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Asus MG279Q
      • Internet:
      • 240mbps Virgin Cable

Yeah, Windows 8.1 stops being horrible the moment you install a 3rd party start menu.
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent View Post
    ...every time Creative bring out a new card range their advertising makes it sound like they have discovered a way to insert a thousand Chuck Norris super dwarfs in your ears...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information