Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: Do you still make calls from a landline?

Thanks
    • Jasp's system
      • CPU:
      • i5 3570k @ 3.4GHZ
      • Memory:
      • 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 512Gb Crucial MX100 1 x 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 670 SC
      • PSU:
      • 850W Corsair HX
      • Case:
      • Coolmaster Haf X V2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 64-Bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2412M 1920X1200
      • Internet:
      • 6Mb ADSL

Re: QOTW: Do you still make calls from a landline?

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    Have two handsets at home and a landline on my desk.
    Friends and family have the home number, as does BT, but no-one else is allowed as we don't like getting randomly auto-dialled, sales-pitched or even faxed. I pay the bill currently, but the Mrs is about to get shouted at for several recent 4-hour conversations!!

It actually annoyed me that I got a company mobile, because I'm now required to always ensure it is on and fully charged... I have the habit of accidentally leaving it on silent for weeks after a meeting, though!
    It also means everyone calls me on that mobile, so I have to contend with attrocious sound quality and signal problems from two ends, rather than them phoning me with perfect clarity on my desk landline... from their own landline!!

I only wish we still had rotary dial phones!!
    Opposite way round here in Hull, landline quality is terrible, my EE mobile on the other hand is excellent.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Yes, I still use a landline, despite having had a mobile continuously for .... well, the early days of analog cellular service. So, 30 years?

And no, before some wag suggests it, not the same mobile phone all that time.

But I neither need nor want to be reachable 24/7, whether at home or elsewhere. So I don't need a mobile phone that's always on. And as a result, I'm certainly not paying £x/month for a contract.

I do need a home line, not least as an internet prerequisite, so have a 24/7 calling package on it. I very rarely call mobile numbers, and a very limited list of people have landline phone number. I rarely get unsolocited calls on it these days, but I did go through a spate of them, which is why I now have a TrueCall blocker on it, meaning I never actually talk to the rare really persistant spam caller as TrueCall handles them.

It's horses for courses. Extensive mobile use doesn't suit my needs, and a landline does. Others may have different needs.

Thanks
    • spolsh's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Crosshair VI
      • CPU:
      • R7 1700
      • Memory:
      • Team Froup DDR4

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I mainly receive calls on my internet connection line. Have considered unplugging the handset.

"Hello, this is Microsoft technical support. Our systems are showing that your computer has a virus". Yeah, your mum has a virus...
    Exactly my situation with landline, just get scams/marketing calls. I am not always very pleasant with these people.

Trouble is i've had the phone number for over 20 years, too many people know it, even if they never call it.

Thanks
    • Brian224's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i5-2500K
      • Memory:
      • 8GB (2x4GB) Corsair Vengeance
      • Storage:
      • Samsung 840 SSD 120GB, Seagate 2TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX760 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W EZCool Silent
      • Case:
      • Corsair Graphite 230T
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 Professional 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Acer G226HQLBbd
      • Internet:
      • 30 Mb cable (Virgin Media)

My landline is so noisy as to be unusable, but to call anybody out might entail moving a bookcase, not an easy task in a wheelchair, so I just stopped using it.

Spreadie

Still have a landline.

Still use it daily.

Mobile service in and around my home is very poor at best, despite the BS served up by the coverage maps which suggest perfect 4G coverage.

Registered+
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    Nope and can't remember last time I did...
    As most though still pay line rental
    Same here.
    Only place I use a landline is work.

Registered+
    Thanks

At work, we use VOIP desk phones plus Skype for Business.
    At home, I rent a VOIP line (cannot have internet access without it), but I have not had a physical phone in years. As such, I have not use a landline for years.

However, I understand people use landlines when they want to have lengthy conversations. I am forgetting what it is to use a smartphone to call somebody these days.

Thanks

I still pay line rental in order to receive broadband at home
    The sooner affordable Wi-Fi comes out then we can all do away with the B.T.RIP OF PHONE LINE
    the tech: is here to do this NOW but big business stops this.
    just the same as the price we pay for fuel, it could be a lot more affordable, with other methods but again the big corporations stop this because they would lose BILLIONS

Tom G

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by spolsh View Post
    Exactly my situation with landline, just get scams/marketing calls. I am not always very pleasant with these people.

Trouble is i've had the phone number for over 20 years, too many people know it, even if they never call it.
    That's moee or less why I got the call screener (Truecall), though I've since changed number anyway. The downside is the one-off cost (about £100). There are much cheaper versions but I don't know how well they work. Truecall is, IMHO, extremely effective and is also pretty highly configurable. It monitors all calls and puts whitelisted ones thtough so smoothly the caller won't know they've been screened. Blacklisted numbers are simply blocked and you won't know they've tried to call you. Unknown numbers? It depends hpw you set it up but I have it getting the caller to leave an identifying name, then it puts them on hold and calls me, where I can either accept the call or block it. If I block it, the caller cannot know if they've been blocked or if I simply wasn't in.

Silent callers get two chances to leave that identifying name, and if they don't, are disconnected. When you choose what to do with a call, you can :-

- acceot, this time only, or
    - block, this time only, or
    - accept and whitelist, or
    - block and blacklist.

You can also choose, in advance, what to do with certain call categories, like withheld, international, etc. I chose to screen ALL unknown numbers, but I could just as easily auto-reject "withheld" while screening international, etc.

For those that do, for whatever reason, rely on a landline and that are plagued with nuisance calls, my experience is it either dries the flood up to a trickle or stops them cold. Even that trickle only get to leave a message you can react to before the call is either put through or rejected, but cannot EVER speak to you until you choose to accept the call.

The vast majority of cold and silent callers seem to simply give up on you, because they know full well that snybody that's bothered to put in such a system is extremely unlikely to be a productive use of their time.

Also, there is a BT phone system you can get, at about £40, that includes a version of Truecall. I don't know if it's the full Truecall, though I doubt it, but it certainly seems to include the core call-blocking functions. The full Truecall is capable of much more, including remote configuration and programming, and even call recording for trahsfer to PC call archive. So you dan record and keep calls to, for instance, banks, insurance companies, utility companies, etc, or when you place a telephone product order. It's great for resolving disputes over exactly what was or wasn't said.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tomthum View Post

just the same as the price we pay for fuel, it could be a lot more affordable, with other methods but again the big corporations stop this because they would lose BILLIONS

Tom G
    The biggest songle factor, by far, in fuel prices is tax. Over quite some years, and depending on market conditions and prices, between aboyt 55% and 80% of what you pay in petrol/diesel prices, at least here in the UK, is either fuel duty or VAT.

Stick £50 in your tank, and around £30-£40 of it goes straight to the Treasury.

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Nope, don't even have a landline phone set. But I still have to pay for line rental which I find ridiculous. If anyone needs me I can always be contacted on my mobile through text/call/skype/steam/facebook

Thanks

The massive downside to Truecall is that you have to pay £20 a year for the internet control panel or otherwise set up is extremely tedious. Truecall loses its settings once the power supply is switched off.

I now much prefer recording calls on my mobile phone these days. Surprisingly, calls are much shorter after you informed them they're being recorded. For reasons unknown to me, I like to elongate the call as much as possible while they're squirming to get off the line. Recorded calls are protected behind a password and are easy to upload to cloud.

What I may do in future is to get a dedicated mobile phone with a recorded app for sole use with companies. These days, companies are so desperate to get hold of your contact details. I could, perhaps, link my mobile device to Google Voice to monitor missed calls and voicemail messages to my main handset. Therefore, eliminating the need to carry two handsets around.

Truecall is good as I had mine for a number of years and cost me 70 quid but these days there are far better solutions.
    Last edited by Top_gun; 24-09-2016 at 12:58 PM.

Thanks
    • GoNz0's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Rampage V Extreme
      • CPU:
      • i7 something X99 based
      • Memory:
      • 16gb GSkill
      • Storage:
      • 4 SSD's + WD Red
      • Graphics card(s):
      • GTX980 Strix WC
      • PSU:
      • Enermax Galaxy 1250 (9 years and counting)
      • Case:
      • Corsair 900D
      • Operating System:
      • win10 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell 24"
      • Internet:
      • 220mb Cable

I ring virgin media when it goes tits up as they know who I am then

Capitalization is the difference between helping your Uncle Jack
    off a horse and helping your uncle jack off a horse.

Thanks
    • pp05's system
      • Motherboard:
      • AsRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming itx
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3 2200G
      • Memory:
      • Ballistix Elite 8GB Kit 3200 UDIMM
      • Storage:
      • Kingston 240gb SSD
      • PSU:
      • Kolink SFX 350W PSU
      • Case:
      • Kolink Sattelite plus MITX
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10

For home yes. You need it for Broadband, I'm not signing with Virgin anytime soon.

For work I'm considering cancelling it altogether as soon as my contract expires due to service issues.

Thanks
    • Agrippa's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASRock X299 Taichi XE
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7820X @ 4.8GHz (delid)
      • Memory:
      • 4x8GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3200 C14 @ 3600 CL15
      • Storage:
      • Samsung SM961 256GB, 850 EVO 1TBx2, 850 EVO 250GB, 840 512GB, Seagate 1TB, 2TB, 8x8TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus GTX 1080 Ti RoG Strix
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM1000x
      • Case:
      • Lian Li D8000
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator Z35P
      • Internet:
      • 500/500 Fiber

Can't quite remember when I got rid of my land line, but it must be about 10 years ago by now.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by pp05 View Post
    For home yes. You need it for Broadband, I'm not signing with Virgin anytime soon.

For work I'm considering cancelling it altogether as soon as my contract expires due to service issues.
    I was checking out http://aa.net.uk/ and one of the downsides was that, annoying though the phone may often be, it sounds like I would lose the voice on my BT copper line.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information