Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: QOTW: Do you still make calls from a landline?

Thanks
    • Euphonium's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSi MPG X570 Gaming Plus
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 9 3900X
      • Memory:
      • 2x16Gb Corsair DDR4-3200
      • Storage:
      • Saberent Rocket PCIe4 1TB, Crucial MX500 2TB. SanDisk 960GB SATA SSD, 6x4TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia GTX980Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Focus GX 750W, 80Plus Gold
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Define 7
      • Operating System:
      • Win10-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 1x24" (1910x1080), 2x23" (1920x1080), 1x19" (1440x900)

Re: QOTW: Do you still make calls from a landline?

I use my landline quite a lot, and have and unlimited evening/weekends calls package.
    I could manage with just my mobile for phone calls, but since I need the landline for broadband anyway, it seems silly to pay mobile phone rates when I don't have to.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonium View Post
    I use my landline quite a lot, and have and unlimited evening/weekends calls package.
    I could manage with just my mobile for phone calls, but since I need the landline for broadband anyway, it seems silly to pay mobile phone rates when I don't have to.
    I'd rather go for a sim only deal where you could get 500minutes and internet access for just a little bit more than the cost of an unlimited evening/weekend calls but without the restrictions of a cord and time.

In fact someone who is on BT with unlimited minutes package could be better off with a £700 iPhone + a sim only card with 1000 minutes per month over a three year period. Everybody knows the iPhone is a rip off.

Registered+
    Thanks

I am literally amazed that anybody still uses a landline for anything other than broadband. I personally have not had a house phone for well over 10 years(!) now, relying on a mobile and broadband for all my communication

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by chrisbreame View Post
    I am literally amazed that anybody still uses a landline for anything other than broadband. I personally have not had a house phone for well over 10 years(!) now, relying on a mobile and broadband for all my communication
    Why would you be amazed? Not everybody lives their life attached to a smartphone, or for that matter, wants to.

So sure, lots of people are dedicated smartphone users, and fair enough. But you might be surprised how many aren't, and either don't have one at all, or as a deliberate choice, have a mobile phone that is decidedly not smart.

It comes down to individuals, their choice of lifestyle, and their needs/wants. My choice is to have carefully defined and deliberately limited ways to communicate with me. That's achieved by a mobile phone that's only turned on when I need it. Sometimes, that means not from one end of the month to another. And being VERY selective about who gets my landline numbers. Yes, numbers, plural, for distinct purposes, with very different groups of people that have the numbers. It works for me, suits my needs, which being constantly connectable by mobile does not.

For instance, for most of the last two weeks I've been at my 'hideaway' lication where neither of my landlines would get to me, and I haven't turned the mobile on once.

It's blissfully quiet.

Note: Posted via BT Wifi operated by .... dunno, but someone round here.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Note: Posted via BT Wifi operated by .... dunno, but someone round here.
    presume you mean the open wifi and not hacking a local

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

I remember one of the early marketing slogans for mobile phone (Vodafone I think) "now you can be in when you're out".

It prompted me to buy an answerphone so I could be out when I was in.

We have had a strange relationship with phones - for a long time answering a phone seemed to take precedence of all other activities, even face to face conversations. I don't know if it was a generational thing, from when phone calls generally were used for urgent communication (because calls were expensive) or it fed some fundamental insecurity (someone wanted to talk to me). (This before mobile phones were widespread, and BT was an ailing nationalised industry, with chronic underinvestment and still using mechanically switched exchanges)

To be fair, the perceived urgency of a phone call seems to have declined, perhaps with the knowledge that an unanswered call will go to voicemail and can be dealt with later. Caller ID also helps so a missed call can be answered later, even if no message was left.

It still grinds my gears though when I'm talking to someone socially of professionally and the break off to answer the phone.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ik9000 View Post
    presume you mean the open wifi and not hacking a local
    Well, open to subscribers to use hotspots, yes. But not open to all. But yes, I don't mean hacking anybody.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information