Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft previews bevy of new features coming to Windows 10

Thanks

Re: Microsoft previews bevy of new features coming to Windows 10

they want to add legacy mode to the advanced options for windows update, windows 10 update sucks, especially if they force hardware drivers you don't want

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Rubarb View Post
    you know if someone would only port DX12 to windows 7 or if dx12 dies a death and vulkan takes over ................. who would honestly even comprehend using windows 10?

It's pants
    its not to bad, its better when you uninstall all the app store junk you don't need, disable or uninstall the xbox rubbish, and all the other standard worthless services

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...psmanager.html

press shift and restart to disable digital signature signing for everything, disabled program compatibility, disabled defender, disabled AV, disabled smart screen, disabled cortana, disabled nearly everything

Thanks
    • Rubarb's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI H81m-E33
      • CPU:
      • G3258
      • Memory:
      • 8GB hyper x beast
      • Storage:
      • 120ssd, 2gb hdd
      • Graphics card(s):
      • msi gtx960 4gb
      • PSU:
      • seasonic 450w
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake mozrt tx
      • Operating System:
      • windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • samsung 24'
      • Internet:
      • 100mb

Quote Originally Posted by me-yeah View Post
    you know if someone would only port DX12 to windows 7 or if dx12 dies a death and vulkan takes over ................. who would honestly even comprehend using windows 10?

It's pants
    its not to bad, its better when you uninstall all the app store junk you don't need, disable or uninstall the xbox rubbish, and all the other standard worthless services

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/deta...psmanager.html

press shift and restart to disable digital signature signing for everything, disabled program compatibility, disabled defender, disabled AV, disabled smart screen, disabled cortana, disabled nearly everything
    yep first thing I did but can you honestly say its better than windows 7 ?

Thanks
    • jimbojnr81's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-990XA-UD3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Phenom ii x4 955 Black Edition
      • Memory:
      • 8GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS Radeon R9 270x 4GB
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 8.1 64GB

Meh, start menu... i only use the start menu to shut my computer down and use the search to start apps.

Thanks

yep first thing I did but can you honestly say its better than windows 7 ?
    nope, it need color pickers for accent and background in personalization, firefox's text inputs stop working somehow so you can't press enter after you have typed a internet address or a search in the toolbar

it need a polling droplist or setting in device manager, on USB slots so you don't have to have custom drivers to overclock any USB port, mouse, keyboard, midi hardware, anything you like

you can use classic shell for a free windows 7 start menu replacement in windows 10 http://www.classicshell.net/

icons in the task tray, stay on a single row, so if you have all icons visible, you can end up with 100 apps on the same row, even when your taskbar can be multiple rows

the only benefit of windows 10 is being able to take ownership of program files and auditing permissions, and inherited permissions on child objects multiple levels down will work, which have never worked in windows 7, you can work freely without seeing any of those nags about needing admin privileges
    Last edited by me-yeah; 12-01-2017 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    I haven't had to do squat to Win10 ever since swapping.
    I know a sample of one doesn't mean much, but did you just upgrade or did you do a fresh install? So far it is only machines that I upgraded from 7 that died. Same with other family members.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I know a sample of one doesn't mean much, but did you just upgrade or did you do a fresh install? So far it is only machines that I upgraded from 7 that died. Same with other family members.
    i upgraded from windows 7, it run perfectly fine, the first time i upgraded it took 4 hours and was stuck on the boot screen, you just have to uninstall all your motherboard drivers and DDU your graphics card

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/...-download.html

pretty much the same as replacing your motherboard without needing to reinstall windows, so now it takes 6 seconds to boot on my patriot blast

Thanks

you will also have services running you have disabled

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by me-yeah View Post
    you just have to uninstall all your motherboard drivers and DDU your graphics card
    That made me lol. People think nothing of such things under Windows, but really this is supposed to be a consumer grade OS. My mum couldn't do either of those things

To be fair my desktop was the only machine in the house that stuck on upgrade, the others updated quite smoothly.

Still, I find myself glancing at PS4 adverts wondering if that would be a better way to get my gaming fix. A closed ecosystem with mandatory updates, but if it works...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    That made me lol. People think nothing of such things under Windows, but really this is supposed to be a consumer grade OS. My mum couldn't do either of those things

To be fair my desktop was the only machine in the house that stuck on upgrade, the others updated quite smoothly.

Still, I find myself glancing at PS4 adverts wondering if that would be a better way to get my gaming fix. A closed ecosystem with mandatory updates, but if it works...
    its just windows with plenty of bloatware, my PC is'nt a tablet, all the tablet and phone services should'nt even be installed, or any of the app store, i can't stand microsoft or apple, i'll use any other shop besides theirs

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Well, it ain't happening. I am NOT, on principle, handing control over the setup, configuration and control of my computers to the mercurial whim of MS marketing folk, to do whatever-the-heck they want wuth. Not now, not ever, not under any circumstances whatever.
    One of the biggest complaints I hear against PCs is that they all have different configs, setups, hardware and so on, making supporting and designing stuff for them a nightmare.
    If MS are doing this to bring as many people as possible up to the same standard and so simplify support, is that not a good thing?

I know it's the same for cars, when people bring their custom-kevved hunk of junk along and expect it to be fixable, but are shocked when they find a mere diagnosis is going to take five times as long and cost eleven times as much, just to wade through all the non-standard stuff they've done to it... because if it were done by someone who knew what they were doing (such as yourself) in the first place, they'd not need to bring it to us anyway.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jimbojnr81 View Post
    Meh, start menu... i only use the start menu to shut my computer down and use the search to start apps.
    If that's a response to me mentioning start menu, then you completely missed the point.

It wasn't about whether the Srart menu was important or not. That varies. You, clearly, don't care. I've been using Windows since v1, and was writing software for it from v2. So, 30+ years. And I've been using the menu system for 20+ years.

Yet, suddenly, there's a poof of smoke and it's gone. MS could have left it user-selectable. They could have made any one of a series of 3rd party utilities available on request, or developed their own.

But, because they wanted to try to leveeage their way into mobile devices on the bscjs of a huge userbase of Win users, they choose to be awkward, and to force users down their path.

The point is the mindset that indicates. To hell with what users want, we're doing what suits MS.

And that is over a relatively trivial issue that any alert user can work around in 5 minutes.

Now, they have complete control over your PC, and can change whatever they want, whenever they want, due to mandatory updates. Had that been the case with Win7, I'd have just turned my PC on one morning and discovered I had Win8, not Win7, with no way to revert.

The Start Menu debacle was, to me, the heads-up of what was coming with Windows, which was an ever-more autocratic attitude, and a product designed for MS' s needs, not those of users. That clear indication of how MS were now thinking was what led me, after 30+ years of using Windows, and also a very long period of using Office, to seek alternatives, evaluate and eventually switch away from Windows.

The point was not whether Start Menu is important or not. It isn't. The point was an example of how MS think, and that, their mindset, is what drove this 30+ year Windows veteran and advocate, away.

13. Received thanks from:

Gunbuster (12-01-2017)

Thanks

it turns out the administrators group if you want to set your own permissions on drives and folder is still as useless as ever, its get overrided by the users group which in turn gets overrided by single user names

so if a user is part of the administrators group, you will just have read privileges, even when administrators group is the owner and set to audit

so you have to give single user names full control instead of just the administrator group

---------

so if you add your user name to the security permissions of program files and replace permissions on all child objects, you will just be able to right click a folder and zip it up like windows 98

you should just be able to use the administrators group because real admins would set custom permissions before deploying a network image
    Last edited by me-yeah; 12-01-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by outwar6010 View Post
    The killer feature for me would be to choose what bloody updates I want.
    That's exactly it.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

One of the biggest complaints I hear against PCs is that they all have different configs, setups, hardware and so on, making supporting and designing stuff for them a nightmare.
    If MS are doing this to bring as many people as possible up to the same standard and so simplify support, is that not a good thing?

I know it's the same for cars, when people bring their custom-kevved hunk of junk along and expect it to be fixable, but are shocked when they find a mere diagnosis is going to take five times as long and cost eleven times as much, just to wade through all the non-standard stuff they've done to it... because if it were done by someone who knew what they were doing (such as yourself) in the first place, they'd not need to bring it to us anyway.
    But then the guy with the custom car can choose to customise it, and pay the bill. But how would you like it if you bought an automatic car, perhaps because you have a disability and can't drive manual gear cars, but then took it in for a service and it came back out with a manual gearbox because the makers decided it's easier to not support autos any more, and BTW, the better fuel consumption is hood for the environment and their marketing guy is on a green kick right now?

Also, I would point out, the uses I made of the Start menu was precisely what the Start Menu was for, in the first place. It's more like them selling you a five-speed car, then deciding a coukd of years later you need to do evetything in third, so they disable the other four gears during a service. Oh, and they grabbed the car one night to do the setvice the next day, without adking you if it was convenient, unaware (or not caring) that without your car, you can't work and earn a living.

Thanks

Yes it's a good thing but personally i would say those people should buy a Mac, unfortunately people want Mac standards but aren't willing to pay Mac prices.

I've always viewed Windows as sitting nicely between the other two main desktop OS's, not as restrictive as OSX and not as complex as Linux, in a way Microsoft are victims of their own success as they made computing cheaper, easier, and accessible for the masses, unfortunately that turned out to be a double edged sword as you needed some computer knowledge when something inevitably went wrong, computer knowledge that maybe 80-90% of windows users probably lack.

Personally I've always thought people should undergo a test so they can best be matched to a suitable device, sort of like taking a driving test for automatics or manuals, although that's just my authoritarian side coming out.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information