Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nvidia restricts sales and trades of bundled game codes

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Nvidia restricts sales and trades of bundled game codes

Quote Originally Posted by jim View Post
    ... If I'm buying a £200 graphics card, having £40 worth of games that I can sell on to others helps a great deal. All it does, as shaithis said, is shift the value proposition. I can live with that - may just make another card more tempting.
    Personally, I'd rather buy the card 'bare', because the issue I have, as with any bundled "inclusion" is what it's "worth". To me, a game is only "worth" £40 if that's either what I can get for it if I sell it (and good luck getting £40 for a bundled game) or if I would have bought the game anyway, and it would have cost me £40.

As I rarely buy games on release, and rarely have, I rarely pay anything like initial release price.

I remember having a chat with the MD of a software company, some years ago, about an OEM version of his software that was bundled with very popular hardware, and despite the £60 retail price of the retail version, the revenue per bundled OEM copy was approx £5. "Why do it then?", I asked. Because it gains market penetration and brand recognition, was the answer. He was playing the long game.

While games are a bit different, my suspicion is something similar is going on, which is why I'd rather buy a bare card and srlect my own games unless the bundled game is one I would definitely go out and buy anyway.

Note: Despite quoting you, jim, this comment is a generic reply not aimed at your comments. The quote just set the context.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lorcaran View Post
    You could just login to your steam account on his PC of course, then register the game that way.
    Ah.... OK.
    Do/will they not subsequently check my hardware, then?

Quote Originally Posted by lodore View Post
    NVidia installs way to much crap with the NVidia graphics driver. I do not own a NVidia shield so do not need the NVidia shield streaming stuff.
    Can you not exclude all that in the custom install settings?

jim
    Thanks
    • jim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus IV Gene-Z
      • CPU:
      • i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Corsair Vengeance LP
      • Storage:
      • 1TB Sandisk SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS GTX 970
      • PSU:
      • Corsair AX650
      • Case:
      • Silverstone Fortress FT03
      • Operating System:
      • 8.1 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell S2716DG
      • Internet:
      • 10 Mbps ADSL

Quote Originally Posted by Saracen View Post
    Personally, I'd rather buy the card 'bare', because the issue I have, as with any bundled "inclusion" is what it's "worth". To me, a game is only "worth" £40 if that's either what I can get for it if I sell it (and good luck getting £40 for a bundled game) or if I would have bought the game anyway, and it would have cost me £40.

As I rarely buy games on release, and rarely have, I rarely pay anything like initial release price.

I remember having a chat with the MD of a software company, some years ago, about an OEM version of his software that was bundled with very popular hardware, and despite the £60 retail price of the retail version, the revenue per bundled OEM copy was approx £5. "Why do it then?", I asked. Because it gains market penetration and brand recognition, was the answer. He was playing the long game.

While games are a bit different, my suspicion is something similar is going on, which is why I'd rather buy a bare card and srlect my own games unless the bundled game is one I would definitely go out and buy anyway.

Note: Despite quoting you, jim, this comment is a generic reply not aimed at your comments. The quote just set the context.
    Likewise. I have in the past seen bundles where you get 2 games that can be resold at £20 each, hence the £40 marker.

But yes, I imagine it would be extremely rare that my perceived value of a game is the same as the initial retail price. Maybe once every couple of years at best.

As you point out though, the cost of the bundle is nowhere near the RRP. So if I'm paying £195 for a card, plus £5 for a bundled code that can be sold for £20, then the card has cost me £180. The 'bare' equivalent would be £195, and so I'm £15 worse off.

That's what's frustrating. But so be it. No-one's forcing me to buy them!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information