• Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

Re: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti is "world's fastest gaming GPU"

Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    If you think the card's too expensive, don't buy it. It's not like you need a GTX 1080 Ti. In fact, no-one needs a GTX 1080 Ti, so it's hardly gouging. They price it at what they think it's worth. People then make up their own minds whether it's worth it or not, and buy or don't buy accordingly.

It's the fastest card available, so nvidia can price it however they want and people who think they need the fastest card available regardless of the price will buy it. People with a more pragmatic mindset will laugh at the price and buy something from lower down the range, accepting that means lower framerates, resolutions or image quality settings.

But price gouging it ain't, since it's utterly unnecessary.
    I don't get why people are jumping to defend their practice. They massively bumped the prices over the previous generation. The 1080 came in more expensive than the 980Ti did. No, of course I don't need one, but that's a stupid counter argument, sorry mate but it is. I don't need a lot of things, would that make it OK for people to charge more for it ?

They hiked the prices because they had no competition and because they knew they'd get away with it. No it's not technically price gouging, but it's still bloody annoying!

Oh and CAT, if I'm getting 2 I want a custom cooling version with a 0dB system

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • 128GB M.2 SSD + 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    I don't get why people are jumping to defend their practice. ...
    How about because what they're doing is standard business practice in a consumerist society? They price a product at the level they think the market can bear. They're doing literally nothing wrong, apart from charging more than you want to pay for a particular commodity.

Is it very expensive? Hell yeah. I wouldn't buy it at that price. But, as you say, they had no competition. So they had free reign over prices.

And it's not as if they weren't offering any improvements for the extra money. Had the 1080 peformed the same as a 980 Ti but cost more at launch I could understand the frustration. But it outperformed the 980 Ti by 30%+, used around 25% less power, and was released less than a year later. Those are big improvements in less than a year.

So was the 1080 over priced? In my opinion, yes, but the market disagrees with me. Did nvidia do anything wrong at all in the pricing of the 1080? No. Not a thing. And that's why I'll pull people up for throwing around terms like "price gouging" (which is an actual criminal offence in some states of the US, incidentally, and could therefore be construed as a serious accussation...).

Thanks
    • Jace007's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 1080
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750w
      • Operating System:
      • WinLOW

Finally a graphics card many I’m sure are willing to upgrade to since, it comes at a very decent price. With Vega no where to been seen. Nvidia 1080 Ti with Ryzen Zen is a tempting upgrade for people who still have Intel 2600k system & what not. I’ve never bought a Ti card before but I think I’ll give it a month or so until custom cards are out. I need something decent to drive my Asus pg279Q. finally a card that I can run everything in Ultra settings at full resolution. I hear a lot of people saying they feel sorry for people who bought Titan X its wired the Titan & 1080ti are aimed at two different markets because Titan is meant for the professional market who can afford this for the business needs rather than gaming needs. Kudos to Nvidia on really delivering something for the people.

Thanks
    • gordon861's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX2070
      • Operating System:
      • Win7-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Benq 2760

Quote Originally Posted by Jace007 View Post
    Finally a graphics card many I’m sure are willing to upgrade to since, it comes at a very decent price. With Vega no where to been seen. Nvidia 1080 Ti with Ryzen Zen is a tempting upgrade for people who still have Intel 2600k system & what not. I’ve never bought a Ti card before but I think I’ll give it a month or so until custom cards are out. I need something decent to drive my Asus pg279Q. finally a card that I can run everything in Ultra settings at full resolution. I hear a lot of people saying they feel sorry for people who bought Titan X its wired the Titan & 1080ti are aimed at two different markets because Titan is meant for the professional market who can afford this for the business needs rather than gaming needs. Kudos to Nvidia on really delivering something for the people.
    i5-2500k here, all we need now is a real world review of the new AMD chips instead of the 'leaks/adverts'.

IQ: 1.42
    Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Various SSDs, 90TB RAID6 HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

How about because what they're doing is standard business practice in a consumerist society? They price a product at the level they think the market can bear. They're doing literally nothing wrong, apart from charging more than you want to pay for a particular commodity.

Is it very expensive? Hell yeah. I wouldn't buy it at that price. But, as you say, they had no competition. So they had free reign over prices.

And it's not as if they weren't offering any improvements for the extra money. Had the 1080 peformed the same as a 980 Ti but cost more at launch I could understand the frustration. But it outperformed the 980 Ti by 30%+, used around 25% less power, and was released less than a year later. Those are big improvements in less than a year.

So was the 1080 over priced? In my opinion, yes, but the market disagrees with me. Did nvidia do anything wrong at all in the pricing of the 1080? No. Not a thing. And that's why I'll pull people up for throwing around terms like "price gouging" (which is an actual criminal offence in some states of the US, incidentally, and could therefore be construed as a serious accussation...).
    All cards offer an improvement in performance and power usage. Typically a new product comes in at around the same price or a little bit more expensive than the previous generation. Making a better product is standard, not something to be proclaimed (exclaimed ? I shoulda stayed in school).

Listen, I know it's a legit practice, I know it's not illegal, and I was using hyperbole with the price gouging bit, but what they did was still rubbishrubbishrubbishrubbishty. (EDIT: lol is this what the S word +ty gets corrected to ? LOVE IT) Not every company would do it (...). I guess it's just disappointing. The price hike was expected, especially with the dropping the ball that AMD did so bloody loudly, but not in the amount they did.

I know what you're saying is all legit, I know they did nothing illegal. I knew they were going to screw me, I just didn't expect em to forgo the lube is all.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by gordon861 View Post
    ... all we need now is a real world review of the new AMD chips ...
    I'd keep your eyes peeled tomorrow then...

7. Received thanks from:

Tunnah (01-03-2017)

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

People with 2600k don't need Ryzen in this scenario (I assume you're talking gaming). Hell the extra overclocking room the 2600k has (5ghz vs 4ghz for Ryzen), I reckon the 2600k will be better for gaming.

And ya I'm excited to be able to play 4K games. Just waiting for benchmarks to decide if to buy 2 1080s or a single 1080Ti - if it's still not good enough for 4K I'm just gonna SLI a pair of 1080s

Thanks

It's just more of the same. The Nvidia solution to the direct 12 and Vulcan proble they have is another API layer? Really...

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Quote Originally Posted by Tunnah View Post
    People with 2600k don't need Ryzen in this scenario (I assume you're talking gaming). Hell the extra overclocking room the 2600k has (5ghz vs 4ghz for Ryzen), I reckon the 2600k will be better for gaming.
    As best I can gather from leaks available, R7 1700X is a few percentage points (~5%?) behind 6800K in games specifically. That makes it an upgrade from 2600K with cores available for future proofing, if we don't factor in overclocks. Besides, just as fewer, faster cores work out better in current games, Vulkan and plausibly well-written DX12 games may yet turn that on its head. Speculative, yes, but don't poo-poo yet. Unless you prefer GTA V to any other game available.
    Last edited by Ozaron; 01-03-2017 at 03:11 PM. Reason: trying to sound like less of an ass

Thanks
    • Jace007's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 1080
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750w
      • Operating System:
      • WinLOW

Gordon861 agree we need to see those Reviews. Tunnah Intel 2600k being a Beast of a CPU for most people is long in the tooth now. It was 1st reviewed in 3-Jan-2011 !! I never overclocked my i2600k until April 2016 lol I never had the need as it just ran everything. AMD Ryzen for Multi-core & Mutli-threaded games & apps will surely see a nice jump. I'm sure for single threaded games 2600k will be ok (not fantastic) for a little while longer. This all means Ryzen will do things quicker without being a bottleneck.

Thanks
    • Jace007's system
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7 7700k
      • Memory:
      • 16GB
      • Storage:
      • 500GB SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • nVidia 1080
      • PSU:
      • EVGA 750w
      • Operating System:
      • WinLOW

Oh i forgot to say .. But will it run Crysis DD ahah -p.s What really interests me on Vega is the High-Bandwidth Cache Controller making up to 512TB of addressable space. A little chip i'm guess like a Math-Coprocessor.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

... the High-Bandwidth Cache Controller making up to 512TB of addressable space. A little chip i'm guess like a Math-Coprocessor.
    Not really like a math co-processor at all: it's an extension of the memory controller than can address, and therefore cache, data from a much wider address space. It appears to be part of the GPU, rather than a separate device*.

From AMD's slides it looks like it can also drop data directly from system memory or non-volatile storage directly into L2 cache for use by the compute engines, which could in some circumstances increase performance by reducing latency if data doesn't have to go into VRAM (although that's speculative on my part, tbh ).

*This is based off the images in AMD's slides, although those images also appear to show the High Bandwidth Cache as being part of the chip, while most sources assert that the HBC is simply a fancy name for the on-interposer HBM2. If the cache is something different to the on-package HBM2 that would make the card even more interesting...

Thanks

I wonder if any laptops will get this 1060 OC they're talking about. And why did they not just call it a 1060 Ti?

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

*This is based off the images in AMD's slides, although those images also appear to show the High Bandwidth Cache as being part of the chip, while most sources assert that the HBC is simply a fancy name for the on-interposer HBM2. If the cache is something different to the on-package HBM2 that would make the card even more interesting...
    I thought the cache was the HBM2, the cache controller is on the GPU?

All part of that system to allow terabytes of GPU data on SSD with the VRAM just holding the "hot" part of the data.

Thanks
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Dell Inspiron
      • CPU:
      • Core i5 8250U
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR4 2666
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon R5 230
      • PSU:
      • Battery/Dell brick
      • Case:
      • Dell Inspiron 5570
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1080p laptop panel

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I thought the cache was the HBM2, the cache controller is on the GPU?

All part of that system to allow terabytes of GPU data on SSD with the VRAM just holding the "hot" part of the data.
    All the commentary seems to suggest that the "High Bandwidth Cache" refers to the on-package HBM2 rather than an additional cache, and I have to admit that's the most sensible interpretation, but the images on the slides (which are obviously extremely simplified) appear to show the cache as residing on the chip, rather than being a separate chip. Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but what if they *had* put a third level of cache on the chip....

Thanks
    • Tunnah's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus somethingorother
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB 3600
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 1080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Silverstone 650w
      • Case:
      • Lian-Li PC70B
      • Operating System:
      • Win10
      • Internet:
      • 40mbit Sky Fibre

As a side note, are they really going to be $500 USD ? If so, I'm going to try to find me a friend in the US, because that's £100+ cheaper than here

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information