Thread: Asus DSL-AC88U ultra-fast AC3100 dual-band Wi-Fi modem router

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Asus DSL-AC88U ultra-fast AC3100 dual-band Wi-Fi modem router

Supports NitroQAM plus the latest high-speed G.fast DSL standard, among others.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Re: Asus DSL-AC88U ultra-fast AC3100 dual-band Wi-Fi modem router

I'd say thats to compete with Netgears R8000.
    It looks like a good interface but hopefully they havent ditched a load of useful settings and features.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AGTDenton View Post
    I'd say thats to compete with Netgears R8000.
    It looks like a good interface but hopefully they havent ditched a load of useful settings and features.
    Not even close to as Netgear has no built in DSL support

Thanks
    • AGTDenton's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI MEG X570S ACE MAX
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5950x
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair something or the other
      • Storage:
      • 1x 512GB nvme, 1x 2TB nvme, 2x 8TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • ASUS 3080 Ti TuF
      • PSU:
      • Corsair RM850x
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Torrent White
      • Operating System:
      • 11 Pro x64
      • Internet:
      • Fibre

Quote Originally Posted by SHSPVR View Post
    It does seem ASUS have filled Netgears own gap of not having a D8000 in their range. The closest at similar price points with DSL is the D7800. The rest of the features are fairly competitive.
    Netgear does seem to be holding off from embedding DSL support fully across their range. Perhaps they're thinking the majority of customers will still have the little BT White box for some years to come.

Thanks

Also Asus update their firmware way faster than Netgear does along with a built in tool in the Asus UI. Netgear routers are a highly popular target for hackers.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Kato-2 View Post
    Also Asus update their firmware way faster than Netgear does along with a built in tool in the Asus UI. Netgear routers are a highly popular target for hackers.
    Not only that it far better option and very nice UI.

rainman

Quote Originally Posted by SHSPVR View Post
    Why would you even want DSL? You ISP gives you a box which if you have half a brain you put into bridge mode. If you don't use it then getting support is a nightmare but you wouldn't want to rely on their kit to protect you either. I'm a BT Infinity customer and not having V\DSL on my internal network means that all the compute on my internal router is spent on servicing and protecting my own network. Just about anyone that is a Virgin customer is running their "SuperTub" in bridge mode anyway.

I've previously been an avid fan of Netgear products but after last years track record of utterly failing to patch devices in a timely manner, and the fact their the performance of their so-called premium "Nighthawk" devices is so dire, this is a brand that I've kicked to the curb. I've demoted my 1 year old Nighthawk to wifi extender status, and even that is dross. It's a complete pile of trash.

For the last few months I've been running an Asus AC5300 which is effectively the same router but with an additional 5Ghz radio and it is an absolute revelation. I'm very happy with it.

Registered+
    Thanks

I've been a huge fan of TP-Link lately after disappointing results from other manufacturers. Haven't tried ASUS line of wifi routers. How do they measure up?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    Why would you even want DSL? You ISP gives you a box which if you have half a brain you put into bridge mode. If you don't use it then getting support is a nightmare but you wouldn't want to rely on their kit to protect you either. I'm a BT Infinity customer and not having V\DSL on my internal network means that all the compute on my internal router is spent on servicing and protecting my own network. Just about anyone that is a Virgin customer is running their "SuperTub" in bridge mode anyway.

I've previously been an avid fan of Netgear products but after last years track record of utterly failing to patch devices in a timely manner, and the fact their the performance of their so-called premium "Nighthawk" devices is so dire, this is a brand that I've kicked to the curb. I've demoted my 1 year old Nighthawk to wifi extender status, and even that is dross. It's a complete pile of trash.

For the last few months I've been running an Asus AC5300 which is effectively the same router but with an additional 5Ghz radio and it is an absolute revelation. I'm very happy with it.
    Sorry for late reply I see you reply to me and if you had half a brain to you have buy it from them if don't own one
    Beside where I live you only have two option Cable or DSL and having a modem that cover both is better option and where I live as our cable compy are real jakes here I wish we could get rid off them.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberScooby View Post
    I've been a huge fan of TP-Link lately after disappointing results from other manufacturers. Haven't tried ASUS line of wifi routers. How do they measure up?
    Sadly TP-Link is just useless as Netgear with very disappointing features
    Last edited by SHSPVR; 13-03-2017 at 02:37 PM.

Thread Information