Thread: Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X 375GB model begins to ship

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X 375GB model begins to ship

This $1,520 SSD will be followed up by a 750GB version in Q2, and a 1.5TB model in H2.
    Read more.

Thanks
    • EvilCycle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS ROG MAXIMUS IX HERO
      • CPU:
      • Intel I7 7700K (OC to 4.8GHz on Corsair H100i V2)
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @ 3000MHz
      • Storage:
      • WD Blue SN550 1TB NVMe SSD, Samsung 840 evo 120GB SSD + 2 x 500GB 72000rpm HDD's
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte AORUS GeForce RTX 2080 XTREME
      • PSU:
      • DEEPCOOL DQ 750st
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 27" 1440p 60hz AOC q2778vqe
      • Internet:
      • Virgin Media 380Mb (Fibre Optic)

Re: Intel Optane SSD DC P4800X 375GB model begins to ship

I would love one of these, but not at that price! I'm still unsure if I can even bring myself to buy an M.2 drive yet never mind this haha, I do need another SSD though as my current one is small and aging, I am probably better off just getting another standard Sata III one, as they ARE fast enough for my gaming rig at the end of the day.

Thanks

just who buys these the average punter has no chance
    the rich elite are the buyers yes/no ???????/

Tom G

Thanks
    • MrJim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Tomahawk X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32gb Kingston 3600 DDR4
      • Storage:
      • Aorus 1Tb NVME SSD, Samsung 1Tb 970 Evo SSD, Crucial 2tb MX500 SSD, Seagate Ironwolf 4Tb SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 3080Ti
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1300W
      • Case:
      • Fractal Meshify 2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic 27" XG2703-GS
      • Internet:
      • BT 900 mb/s FTTP

Quote Originally Posted by tomthum View Post
    just who buys these the average punter has no chance
    the rich elite are the buyers yes/no ???????/

Tom G
    The 'DC' in the product name stands for 'Data Centre'...so I guess it's marketed towards companies running data centres. I expect Optane drives for enthusiasts will be released later on...

Thanks

I could see the 32 gigabyte model being amazing for video games, particularly games with lots of loading screens. I imagine the difference between a HDD and SDD would be the difference between a SDD and one of these. Imagine playing Fallout 4 or Skyrim with 1/8th the loading time.

Registered+
    Thanks

Why would anyone want this drives.. seriously nothing for the home user.
    Your better off buying a pro, nvme or much cheaper a duo of (secodn hand) enterprise ssd
    I actually have both to be honest my main drive is the plextor PX-512m8 and i am kinda satisfied with it.
    As data drive i made a raid0 partition from 2 x 480 Gb samsung enterprise Mz7 series ssd and those show to be often a match to the nvme drive..
    Many people expect way too much from the new nvme drives, when people would be really honest and could compare like i did most would be surprised how well the sata 3 (sata600) enterprise ssd perform yes in many cases they beat the nvme drives. Only when at some points the nvme show their muscle.
    I actually preffer the normal mlc-ssd over the nvme ones but they are yound so they might get better in time. Sadly plextor does not provide drivers for their product so improvements will not happen as with the samsung drives. ( could be a good thing as samsung adds spyware in their firmware ).
    Anyway if you use the benchmarks the nvme ofcourse win, but normal usage you really should not think the nvme is faster. Because the reality can be the absolute opposite in my experience. My other system with 2 x ocz vertex 4 - 250 Gb ssd showed they often get better performance.. I compared the samsung 961 from a friend with the plextor and then compared that ssd's again to the raid0 mlc-ssd and again showed with normal usage you hardly get any gains. So a much cheaper setup with a duo of those normal ssd does do the job faster. Even though the synthetic benchmarks show otherwise. You really do not need them, except if you run heavy modded games their you can see a huge performance gain. For instance when you play skyrim modded for 4k screen play. Then i really see faster loading. But to pay kinda triple or more the price of a comparable sized normal ssd is really not worth the money. You really are better off buying 2 ssd and put them in raid0 for near 1100 MB/s read/write speeds To compare the speed of the plextor read 2500 MB/s write showed 1400 Mb/s max and the samsung 961 gave 2900 Mb/s and 2200 Mb/s write. This ofcourse in the synthetic benchmarks.

Thanks

As far as I am aware optane is nearly an order of magnitude faster where it counts, low queue depth and small files.

If it really is similar to RAM even from 10 years ago it will feel very noticeable in Windows.

I have run Windows in a RAM drive so I am aware how quick it could potentially be.

Thanks

I'm not sure why everyone seems to be comparing it's worth as a home user when it's not currently being targeted towards home users. Maybe eventually It'll be more appropriately priced for home users or prosumers. After all, when SSDs were new, they cost a hell of a lot.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by securitywyrm View Post
    I could see the 32 gigabyte model being amazing for video games, particularly games with lots of loading screens. I imagine the difference between a HDD and SDD would be the difference between a SDD and one of these. Imagine playing Fallout 4 or Skyrim with 1/8th the loading time.
    I could care less for 32 GB super-fast cache...
    Anyway the truth is: you wont get 8x performance over SSD in real life tasks. You even might miss the difference.
    uBronan pointed this nicely out. I personaly hardly see any difference between samsung 950 (NvMe) and 850 (sata 3). the secons even is faster for 4k data in as ssd.
    The most funy thing is when you are using it encrypted, because encryption is lowering your write speeds to max 500Mbs even for NVMe, i guess it is TPM fault.

Thread Information