Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen, Polaris, FreeSync) laptop demoed

  1. #1
    HEXUS.admin
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    26,187
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked
    1,406 times in 528 posts

    Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen, Polaris, FreeSync) laptop demoed

    The Strix GL702ZC is the first ever AMD CPU powered laptop from Asus ROG.
    Read more.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    205
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked
    21 times in 15 posts

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen, Polaris, FreeSync) laptop demoed

    The keyboard could be bigger and the tracking pad completely removed in my opinion. Add an optional touchscreen instead. But the hardware seems like a good combination.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    448
    Thanks
    21
    Thanked
    32 times in 22 posts

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen, Polaris, FreeSync) laptop demoed

    Looks pretty good and specs are pretty nice, looking forward to seeing Intel vs AMD competition in the luxury brand of gaming.

  4. #4
    Cinnamon Roll
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norfolk (Nowhereland)
    Posts
    282
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked
    7 times in 7 posts
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170 SLI Plus
      • CPU:
      • i5-6600K @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB HyperX DDR4 2666MHz CL15
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • In Win 707 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765HT
      • Internet:
      • 150KB/s ↓ 50KB/s ↑ ~35ms

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen, Polaris, FreeSync) laptop demoed

    Like the concept of Ryzen in laptops, but not sold on Polaris in laptops. Especially the biggest Polaris they have. Bring on thorough testing, huh?

    If it works then this could be the start of something nice for AMD, getting in on the laptop GPU protection racket NVidia runs.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    13 times in 9 posts

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen, Polaris, FreeSync) laptop demoed

    Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    Like the concept of Ryzen in laptops, but not sold on Polaris in laptops. Especially the biggest Polaris they have. Bring on thorough testing, huh?

    If it works then this could be the start of something nice for AMD, getting in on the laptop GPU protection racket NVidia runs.
    Is it actually the biggest Polaris they have though? Or is it like the old days where the "Mobility Radeon 9800" is actually close to a desktop 9600? Cause I don't see them cutting down a 150W+ RX 580 to 65W through clock throttling alone.

    Looks like the CPU is at least a full desktop CPU and not a lower model upmarketed because mobile.

    [Edit]
    wccftech claims it's a 65W RX 580 with 2304 stream processors that boosts "beyond 1200Mhz". If so holy carp, that's a full desktop chip, that's been cut from 150W to 65W by cutting 20% off the clockspeed. Not sure if I should be amazed how much they've improved the efficiency, or how desperately hard they must have been driving it before. Or how inaccurate the information is.
    Last edited by qasdfdsaq; 07-06-2017 at 11:14 AM.

  6. #6
    Cinnamon Roll
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Norfolk (Nowhereland)
    Posts
    282
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked
    7 times in 7 posts
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI Z170 SLI Plus
      • CPU:
      • i5-6600K @ 4.3GHz
      • Memory:
      • 16GB HyperX DDR4 2666MHz CL15
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB, Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • In Win 707 ATX
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765HT
      • Internet:
      • 150KB/s ↓ 50KB/s ↑ ~35ms

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen, Polaris, FreeSync) laptop demoed

    Looks like you've answered your own questions? It does seem a bit crazy that they could pull it off, but the general consensus is that the last couple of generations of AMD GPUs come out of the factory with a voltage as high as they can safely push it for maximum yield and greatest clock speeds. It doesn't surprise me, therefore, that efficiency is easy to gain. But 2304 SPs in a laptop sounds... warm. And loud.

  7. #7
    Not a good person scaryjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Manchester
    Posts
    14,186
    Thanks
    1,120
    Thanked
    2,036 times in 1,702 posts
    • scaryjim's system
      • Motherboard:
      • HP Pavilion
      • CPU:
      • A10 4600M
      • Memory:
      • 2x 4GB DDR3-1600 SODIMM
      • Storage:
      • 1TB HDD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Radeon HD7660G (IGP)
      • PSU:
      • Battery/HP 19v brick
      • Case:
      • HP Pavilion G6
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • 15" 1366x768 laptop panel

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen, Polaris, FreeSync) laptop demoed

    Quote Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
    ... wccftech claims it's a 65W RX 580 with 2304 stream processors that boosts "beyond 1200Mhz". If so holy carp, that's a full desktop chip, that's been cut from 150W to 65W by cutting 20% off the clockspeed. ...
    Note that "boosts beyond" does not mean it's going to sustain that kind of clock speed

    When Polaris first came out CAT posted a voltage curve in one of the discussion threads that showed that up to ~ 900MHz Polaris only needs ~ 0.8v. If they've cherry picked the best low-voltage silicon for these parts they might get up to ~ 1GHz with similar voltage, I'd guess, and I'd expect that to be roughly where these will clock in regular usage. I'd also guess that they'll have reduced the GDDR5 clock as well - pushing GDDR5 @ 8Gbps take quite a bit of power, and if you're clocking the cores ~ 25% lower you can probably afford to drop the RAM speeds as well, which will save some power. Basically, the desktop parts are run at the ragged edge to get the maximum possible performance, and what they'll put in the laptops is parts tuned for the best possible energy efficiency. Should still be pretty damn impressive, though, imo

  8. #8
    root Member DanceswithUnix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In the middle of a core dump
    Posts
    7,781
    Thanks
    300
    Thanked
    738 times in 638 posts
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • M5A-97 EVO R2.0
      • CPU:
      • FX-8350
      • Memory:
      • 16GB ECC 1333
      • Storage:
      • 660GB Linux, 500GB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro R9 380 4GB
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 24 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Samsung 2343BW 2048x1152
      • Internet:
      • 80Mb/20Mb VDSL

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen, Polaris, FreeSync) laptop demoed

    Quote Originally Posted by qasdfdsaq View Post
    ..., that's been cut from 150W to 65W by cutting 20% off the clockspeed. Not sure if I should be amazed how much they've improved the efficiency, or how desperately hard they must have been driving it before. Or how inaccurate the information is.
    Power savings are thanks to dropping the voltage, so I guess they needed a lot of volts to get that last 20% of performance out of the chip.

    Edit: which is what Jim said, I really should refresh my browser before posting

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Posts
    217
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked
    13 times in 9 posts

    Re: Asus ROG Strix GL702ZC (Ryzen, Polaris, FreeSync) laptop demoed

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    Note that "boosts beyond" does not mean it's going to sustain that kind of clock speed
    Indeed, but the full desktop RX 580 "only" boosts to 1400-1450 or so, so even 1201 boost would be less than 20% off. It may be the delta between base and boost speeds is bigger on the mobile part, as it tends to be for mobile CPUs.

    Quote Originally Posted by scaryjim View Post
    When Polaris first came out CAT posted a voltage curve in one of the discussion threads that showed that up to ~ 900MHz Polaris only needs ~ 0.8v. If they've cherry picked the best low-voltage silicon for these parts they might get up to ~ 1GHz with similar voltage, I'd guess, and I'd expect that to be roughly where these will clock in regular usage. I'd also guess that they'll have reduced the GDDR5 clock as well - pushing GDDR5 @ 8Gbps take quite a bit of power, and if you're clocking the cores ~ 25% lower you can probably afford to drop the RAM speeds as well, which will save some power. Basically, the desktop parts are run at the ragged edge to get the maximum possible performance, and what they'll put in the laptops is parts tuned for the best possible energy efficiency. Should still be pretty damn impressive, though, imo
    I admit I wasn't paying much attention when Polaris came out as I'd just bought my shiny new GTX 970 not that long prior.

    Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    Power savings are thanks to dropping the voltage, so I guess they needed a lot of volts to get that last 20% of performance out of the chip.

    Edit: which is what Jim said, I really should refresh my browser before posting
    Teehee! Yes, I got the impression they were running the desktop chips at basically the edge of how far they could push them, but the implication they pushed them to the part of the curve where the additional 20% performance cost 250% more power would still be a bit surprising.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •