Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Google Chrome to auto block annoying ads by 2018

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Google Chrome to auto block annoying ads by 2018

Should mean there will be fewer pop-ups and auto-playing audio/video ads around.
    Read more.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Re: Google Chrome to auto block annoying ads by 2018

Well, anything that blocks "annoying" ads has to be a good move. Trouble is :-

1) I don't use Google.
    2) I certainly won't be using Chrome.
    3) I find ALL ad's annoying.

So I guess it won't make much difference to me.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

So that will be every ad will it - or more realistically, I'll be able to choose which ads I want to block after I've seen them say - 5 times?

But as I rarely use Chrome - it won't really affect me - but if Google were to stop listing sites that had annoying adverts, or weren't compliant, THAT would be worthwhile.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    So that will be every ad will it - or more realistically, I'll be able to choose which ads I want to block after I've seen them say - 5 times?
    Nah, this is Google. They'll have a "perfect" list of which adverts are annoying and which aren't, and you'll receive the ones they think are OK. And that'll be that.

Of course after this, if anyone is still successfully blocking YT or other Google sponsored ads, they will soon lose that functionality from Chrome..

if Google were to stop listing sites that had annoying adverts, or weren't compliant, THAT would be worthwhile.
    Agreed, their de-listing department is already thriving with all of those copyright and government claims to take sites down, why not give them a side task of temporarily removing advert jungles? That said, who gave Google the right to remove websites because their advertising policies are a bit militaristic? Might be impossible to do.
    Last edited by Ozaron; 05-06-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: expanding post

Missed by us all - RIP old boy spacein_vader's Avatar
    Thanks
    • spacein_vader's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI B450 Tomahawk Max
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 5 3600
      • Memory:
      • 2x8GB Patriot Steel DDR4 3600mhz
      • Storage:
      • 1tb Sabrent Rocket NVMe (boot), 500GB Crucial MX100, 1TB Crucial MX200
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte Radeon RX5700 Gaming OC
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520W modular
      • Case:
      • Fractal Design Meshify C
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • BenQ GW2765, Dell Ultrasharp U2412
      • Internet:
      • Zen Internet

But as I rarely use Chrome - it won't really affect me - but if Google were to stop listing sites that had annoying adverts, or weren't compliant, THAT would be worthwhile.
    It'll only remove ads that Google has decided aren't compliant. With my cynical hat on I suspect that ads served by Googles competitors will be more likely to be seen as non-compliant than those served by them.

Ad-blockers are an endangered species on Chrome already, they took Ad-Nauseum (which hid all ads AND clicked on them all, invisible to the user to obfuscate their analytics,) down and won't even let you install it manually without using dev mode. I imagine the others will follow over time.

A single company being the most dominant ad slinger and the dominant browser is only going to go one way.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

.... but if Google were to stop listing sites that had annoying adverts, or weren't compliant, THAT would be worthwhile.

Presumably, Google's definition of "annoying" will be "not making us enough money".

My definition of "annoying ad" is "ad".

This shows the fundamental conflict, between a user's and Google's definition, even if I go a bit further than many.

Thanks
    • Iota's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus Maximus Hero XI
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i9 9900KF
      • Memory:
      • CMD32GX4M2C3200C16
      • Storage:
      • 1 x 1TB / 3 x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Nvidia RTX 3090 Founders Edition
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX1200i
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Samsung Odyssey G9
      • Internet:
      • 500Mbps BT FTTH

Another way that Google aims to help web publishers, who might be missing ad views due to blocking inspired by intrusive ads, is via the Funding Choices program. This beta feature allows publishers to show a customised message to those who browse their sites with ad blocking turned-on. For example it can ask users to white-list their particular site or pay for an ad-free pass via Google Contributor.
    Some sites already show a "customised message" to users using ad-blocking software, so now the option is to pay Google to browse sites ad-free? Wouldn't it just make more sense to change browsers to something other than Chrome and / or avoid any sites that use this feature?

I get that they're trying to clean up advertising methods, but I think they fail to understand that most of us who do block adverts do so knowing that some adverts can be quite malicious in nature - hence why we block them ALL.

Thanks

If I get anything saying you have adblocker installed etc. etc. I just go elsewhere...
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Previously known as Wozza365
    Thanks
    • Wozza63's system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS M5A99X EVO
      • CPU:
      • FX 8150 @4.2GHz
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX 1600MHz
      • Storage:
      • Intel 120GB SSD, 4TB Seagate
      • Graphics card(s):
      • XFX R9 390
      • PSU:
      • Corsair TX850
      • Case:
      • Akasa Venom Toxic
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer XG270HU + Iiyama E2473HDS x2

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    If I get anything saying you have adblocker installed etc. etc. I just go elsewhere...
    You know there are adblockers to stop blocking adblockers. And often websites are so simplistic, that it is just a screen wide element that can be easily hidden with adblock. Right block, Block an ad on this page, and the rest is easy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    You know there are adblockers to stop blocking adblockers. And often websites are so simplistic, that it is just a screen wide element that can be easily hidden with adblock. Right block, Block an ad on this page, and the rest is easy
    Of course I do but it's just a case of I choose to go elsewhere. Same if a site is riddled with ads and the adblocker can't block all of them I just go elsewhere.... if they want the income that badly they will have to get it from someone else
    Old puter - still good enuff till I save some pennies!

Thanks

"It's far too common that people encounter annoying, intrusive ads on the web - like the kind that blare music unexpectedly, or force you to wait 10 seconds before you can see the content on the page," wrote senior VP of Ads & Commerce at Google, Sridhar Ramaswamy.

Does that also mean that they will remove annoying ads from youtube?

Thanks
    • YazX's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P8Z77-V
      • CPU:
      • Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.5 Ghz
      • Memory:
      • Crucial Tactical Tracer DDR3 16 GB
      • Storage:
      • 128 GB Samsung SSD, 256 GB Crucial SSD, 4 TB Caviar Black
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNova G1 1000W
      • Case:
      • CM Haf-X
      • Operating System:
      • W10 64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Qnix 27" 2560x1440
      • Internet:
      • 16 Mbps

naah, i will stick with Ad block extension.

Thanks
    • devBunny's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P9X79 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7-3930
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x GTX 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZX1000W Gold
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Elysium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 and Win XP in VMs
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell 2410M 1920x1200 IPS

Quote Originally Posted by 3dcandy View Post
    I use uBlock origin which allows me to block *those* annoyances too along with all the cookie policy bars, slide-in annoyances, the plethora of sharing widgets, etc, etc.

The Internet on its own is challenging enough when you have ADHD, let alone having all the extra bits of crap assaulting the senses and demanding attention. I hate them all, especially image carousels, "news" marquees and scrolling tweet boxes. Anything that moves has to go or I have to leave the site, it's as simple as that. With ADHD defined as a disability, I sometimes wish that these things could be deemed discriminatory.

14. Received thanks from:

satrow (08-06-2017)

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Quote Originally Posted by devBunny View Post
    Anything that moves has to go or I have to leave the site, it's as simple as that. With ADHD defined as a disability, I sometimes wish that these things could be deemed discriminatory.
    As someone without ADHD I'm sorry to say that I feel it would be sad to limit our web design possibilities like that, although I agree it's a shame that most moving, flashing or attention-grabbing stuff is misused on terrible advertising. Perhaps a version of websites, just like mobile is compared to desktop, but for ease of use would be a nice option? I don't know how many sites would set something like that up.

I use uBlock origin which allows me to block *those* annoyances too along with all the cookie policy bars, slide-in annoyances, the plethora of sharing widgets, etc, etc.
    Also, I don't know about Chrome but Firefox is moving forwards to at least a temporary period where there are no add-ons. Even graphical customization will be unavailable, I believe, when Rust is fully implemented. If you rely on Ublock or other you may want to be careful not to update when that arrives (should still be months away AFAIK). I will be sticking with FF extended support release for as long as humanly possible to keep NoScript.
    Last edited by Ozaron; 09-06-2017 at 12:07 PM. Reason: screwed up the quotes

Thanks
    • devBunny's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P9X79 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7-3930
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x GTX 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZX1000W Gold
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Elysium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 and Win XP in VMs
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell 2410M 1920x1200 IPS

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    Anything that moves has to go or I have to leave the site, it's as simple as that. With ADHD defined as a disability, I sometimes wish that these things could be deemed discriminatory.
    As someone without ADHD I'm sorry to say that I feel it would be sad to limit our web design possibilities like that, although I agree it's a shame that most moving, flashing or attention-grabbing stuff is misused on terrible advertising. Perhaps a version of websites, just like mobile is compared to desktop, but for ease of use would be a nice option? I don't know how many sites would set something like that up.
    If stillness were the default and there was the option to add as much whizz-bang vision and sound as a person wanted, that would be fine. I'd never enable it but others would be able to. It's the lack of choice and lack of control that makes it a problem. As for web design, I'm all ears for there's a decent justification for movement, something that makes the case for it being *essential*. It'd be a tough sell, though.

It's not just advertising. I have no use for tweet-scrollers, for instance. Site like Hexus have image carousels that scroll through a bunch of images for articles. I have no use for that either. I have to wonder who does as they're both too fast and too slow at the same time. Too fast if you want a good look at one image and too slow if you want to see all the choices before tedium sets in. It's a rubbish interface element as far as I'm concerned and I'll never put one on my web pages. In "never say never" spirit, if I ever do, it'll be up to the reader to kick start it (registered users could opt to have it on by default and set the speed).

Quote Originally Posted by Ozaron View Post
    Also, I don't know about Chrome but Firefox is moving forwards to at least a temporary period where there are no add-ons. Even graphical customization will be unavailable, I believe, when Rust is fully implemented. If you rely on Ublock or other you may want to be careful not to update when that arrives (should still be months away AFAIK). I will be sticking with FF extended support release for as long as humanly possible to keep NoScript.
    I left Firefox years ago when it became "Firechromefox". I only use it out of curiosity every now and then. Pale Moon used to be a pure Firefox clone but is now forging its own path. Their policy is not fashion and change just for the sake of it; theirs is more "if it ain't broken". I'll be staying with that browser as long as possible. If Firefox do remove add-ons then I expect that Pale Moon will see many more users.

Registered+
    Thanks

I think everyone will still continue their use of ad-block... For better or for worse, it's what 90% of people do. It's the exact same principle as recording something on a Tivo and skipping the ads on there!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information