Thread: Gigabyte launches range of Intel Xeon Scalable rack servers

HEXUS.admin
    Thanks

Gigabyte launches range of Intel Xeon Scalable rack servers

And a pair of Intel Xeon Scalable motherboards too.
    Read more.

Thanks

Re: Gigabyte launches range of Intel Xeon Scalable rack servers

Off*Topic* Old question: I am amazed with social media sites like Google+ and with the big fan base they have, millions of posts every second. How does the thousands of interconected servers across the globe work together to give a feel that when I am posting on G+ it is as if I am posting to only one server but in reality thousands of servers across the globe are handling that single post of mine? And how do they work together to avoid data confusion?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by lumireleon View Post
    Off*Topic* Old question: I am amazed with social media sites like Google+ and with the big fan base they have, millions of posts every second. How does the thousands of interconected servers across the globe work together to give a feel that when I am posting on G+ it is as if I am posting to only one server but in reality thousands of servers across the globe are handling that single post of mine? And how do they work together to avoid data confusion?
    Have a look at this
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=18FeuDz0xtVnpvLiFz9HsPk7ZTDg&hl=en_US&ll=17.09860373166605%2C10.318399000000056&z=2
    Considering the google caching servers are the 'front line', giving the feeling of single point access... bear in mind there is a vast array of machines on the next level and beyond.
    Obviously it's all wizardry... but in simple terms it's localizing traffic by your IP... a request comes in and it's routed to the nearest (likely by ping/hops rather than geographically) caching server.
    ------------------------------------
    information is not a property of matter, it's applied to matter by intelligence

Thanks

<on topic contribution>

I am looking to consolidate about 6 VMs (hyper-v) to a single rack server and am being drawn to second hand HP Proliants. (DL180 or DL380)
    These new(er) offerings are all well and good.. but in real terms has the tech really moved that far in the last 5 or so years?

My first reaction is.. not a great deal.
    On price/performance I am considering 2 x hex core L5640s (biggest workload will be an exchange server) and I can't see the point buying new when you have so much ex-enterprise gear in the market that is well supported by spares. I can get 24 threads, 100GB ram and 8TB of raid for just over £1K which is nuts.

I'd be very interested to hear thoughts from those in a similar position or have been buying off the shelf recently.
    ------------------------------------
    information is not a property of matter, it's applied to matter by intelligence

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by s1lv3r View Post
    I can get 24 threads, 100GB ram and 8TB of raid for just over £1K which is nuts.

I'd be very interested to hear thoughts from those in a similar position or have been buying off the shelf recently.
    I am also in a position where I need to upgrade the hardware for around a 6 server system and buy new servers for Lab environments and I will be looking forward to this release because the second hand market will be flooded.

On a side note, where are you seeing the 12c24t-100GB RAM and 8TB Raid for? Closest price I can see for that is £2k!!!

If I could find that for my boss, he would sign off without a second thought

Thread Information