• EVGA Supernova G2 1000W
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:
      • 900Mbps Gigaclear WHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Re: Audi A8 will be the first Level 3 autonomous car on the road

Personally, I think that by the time they sort all this stuff out, I'll be commuting to work in a flying car!!

Thanks
    • Ozaron's system
      • Motherboard:
      • MSI X570 Unify
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Patriot Blackout @ 3800 CL16
      • Storage:
      • Toshiba X300 4TB (2), Samsung 850 Evo 500GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire 5700XT, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic M12-II 620w
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 500D
      • Operating System:
      • W10 Enterprise 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte G27QC
      • Internet:
      • 2.5 MB/s ↓ 0.86 MB/s ↑ ~20ms

Quote Originally Posted by DanceswithUnix View Post
    I have heard stories of a long departed relative from many many years ago who was a milkman with a horse drawn cart. Supposedly the horse would take him home if he had been to the pub, as the horse knew the way. I sometimes wonder if we have really come such a long way when our ancestors trained neural nets by giving them a sugar cube, seems much easier than matrix differentials
    Can confirm, I never got a chance to meet him but apparently I had a grandfather whose horse did just this. Seems modern technology makes available what we could have had a century ago at orders of magnitude higher cost. Personal preference on whether you prefer leather seats and music player or 4 legged friend with entertainment potential.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Barracuda 510 1TB M.2, WD Blue 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:
      • three4g & nighthawk MR1100

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    While I've no doubt some people are completely comfortable with autonomous cars i don't see them having mass appeal, i suspect most people will have difficulty giving up partial control for levels 2 and 3, both those levels require the human component to work together with the machine, something history has shown humans struggle with, both level 2 and 3 risk humans depending on the machine too much and not being willing or ready to take control in an emergency.
    I think you're completely wrong. A lot of people view driving as a burden and an anxiety-inducing responsibility, so to have those things lifted will be of large appeal. Also, every technological change throughout history of this nature (things that take the workload off humans, making things safer and more efficient, like the loom, or cars, or the internet, etc etc) has been greeted by luddites coming up with reasons why it'll never catch on. Self-driving cars will be a huge revolution, even before fully autonomous cars. They will be much, much safer, free up productivity time, reduce pollution by a huge amount, encourage cyclists, and there are no practical reasons why they can't catch on in a wider sense - car ownership will become less popular or necessary and there will be a lot more ride-sharing going on a la uber, or, really, the original ride-sharing tech - buses. It'll be like sending a bitcoin transfer - you want to spend more, you get more privacy/speed/carrying capacity, you want to spend less, you'll have to slum it.

My prediction will be that by 2035/2040 human-driven cars will be a rarity on the roads, and I greatly look forward to that day. Driving will be for racing and maybe some more advanced jobs like farming and stuff like that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wazzickle View Post
    They will be much, much safer, free up productivity time, reduce pollution by a huge amount, encourage cyclists, and there are no practical reasons why they can't catch on in a wider sense
    Those are some very optimistic predictions there, being safer has yet to be proven and as i already said history has shown humans struggle when it comes to sharing responsibility with computers, something level 2 & 3 require.

Saying it would free up productivity time also seems a strange claim to make as level 2 requires the driver to monitor the driving and be prepared to immediately intervene at any time if the automated system fails to respond properly, and level 3 means the driver must still be prepared to intervene within some limited time, neither of those levels mean you can abdicate the responsibility of driving, at most level 3 allows you to perform a task that you could stop doing within seconds and take back control of the car.

I'm not entirely sure why an autonomous car would reducing pollution and encouraging cyclists, firstly you seem to be conflating autonomous cars with electric cars, that arguably create more pollution than their petrol driven brethren, and secondly why you believe having potentially lethal weapons operated by not only fallible computers but also sharing the responsibility with fallible humans who, i assume, like yourself believe a computer can't make a mistake and will probably happily watch the car their sitting in drive headlong into someone because in their eyes computers don't make mistakes.

If you want to see how bad things can go wrong when humans share responsibility with computers you only have to look to the skies as there are many documented cases of crashes being caused by simple failures exacerbated by pilots who either put more trust in computers and/or faulty readouts from failed electronics than their own senses, and we're talking about trained professional with thousands of hours experience hear, not average Jo Blogs.
    Last edited by Corky34; 16-07-2017 at 04:32 PM.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Corky34 View Post
    Those are some very optimistic predictions there, being safer has yet to be proven and as i already said history has shown humans struggle when it comes to sharing responsibility with computers, something level 2 & 3 require.

Saying it would free up productivity time also seems a strange claim to make as level 2 requires the driver to monitor the driving and be prepared to immediately intervene at any time if the automated system fails to respond properly, and level 3 means the driver must still be prepared to intervene within some limited time, neither of those levels mean you can abdicate the responsibility of driving, at most level 3 allows you to perform a task that you could stop doing within seconds and take back control of the car.

I'm not entirely sure why an autonomous car would reducing pollution and encouraging cyclists, firstly you seem to be conflating autonomous cars with electric cars, that arguably create more pollution than their petrol driven brethren, and secondly why you believe having potentially lethal weapons operated by not only fallible computers but also sharing the responsibility with fallible humans who, i assume, like yourself believe a computer can't make a mistake and will probably happily watch the car their sitting in drive headlong into someone because in their eyes computers don't make mistakes.

If you want to see how bad things can go wrong when humans share responsibility with computers you only have to look to the skies as there are many documented cases of crashes being caused by simple failures exacerbated by pilots who either put more trust in computers and/or faulty readouts from failed electronics than their own senses, and we're talking about trained professional with thousands of hours experience hear, not average Jo Blogs.
    The being safer doesn't need to be proven, it's obvious. Humans have slower reactions and are much more susceptible to making mistakes.

Can you give examples of humans and AI struggling to share responsibility?

Level 2 and for the most part 3 won't free up any productivity time, but level 4 certainly will, when people are otherwise driving to work, and then they'll be able to do stuff.

Fully autonomous cars will reduce pollution by being much better at achieving optimal fuel efficiency, and reducing the number of vehicles on the road by virtue of increased car sharing and reduced car ownership. Fuel efficiency in terms of man-miles per gallon will increase because of that alone.

Of course computers make mistakes, but they make (far) fewer; they don't 'care' about people in the sense that people care about people, but given we can program them, we can program them to 'care' about people. The software will inevitably have bugs, but we're human, we're full of them.

Even if, at the beginning of the self-driving car revolution, we go through a bad patch of lots of fatalities (and they - the media, and so on - will probably not be comparing AI-driven cars to humans, they will be lamenting every single fatality as if it's the end of the world), as long as the right people are in charge, the self-driving revolution will power on through regardless and the world will be safer and cleaner as a result.

I'd say 'mark my words' but I doubt you will.

Admin (Ret'd)
    Thanks

Of course computers make mistakes, but they make (far) fewer; they don't 'care' about people in the sense that people care about people, but given we can program them, we can program them to 'care' about people. The software will inevitably have bugs, but we're human, we're full of them.

I am minded to point out the Popeist-based epigram (Alexander Pope, not the Catholic head dude)

To err is human, but to really foul up requires a computer.

Just sayin'.

Thanks

The being safer doesn't need to be proven, it's obvious. Humans have slower reactions and are much more susceptible to making mistakes.
    It does need to be proven and it's not obvious, just because you say it's so doesn't make it true.

Sure humans have slower reactions and are more susceptible to making mistakes, but computers don't exactly handle situations they've not been programed with very well, they can't make moral decisions like when faced with an inevitable crash and choosing between the car in front with an 80 year old driver or the school child walking on the pavement, and that's just one scenario.

Can you give examples of humans and AI struggling to share responsibility?
    No because AI is nothing more than marketing speak and doesn't exist, it's nothing more than a computer program that attempts to mimic human cognitive functions.

I can however give you plenty of examples where computer programs and other automated system intended to work in tandem with humans have failed, either because the human overly depended on the supposedly infallible computer or because the computer misinterpreted the information is was being fed.

Level 2 and for the most part 3 won't free up any productivity time, but level 4 certainly will, when people are otherwise driving to work, and then they'll be able to do stuff.
    Isn't that what i said, i have no problem with autonomous cars, what i have problems with is level 2 & 3 where the responsibility is shared, like i said that (IMO) is the equivalent of having a provisional license holder driver and you being in the passenger seat, sure they maybe a good provisional license holder but ultimately you're responsible for everything they do.

Fully autonomous cars will reduce pollution by being much better at achieving optimal fuel efficiency, and reducing the number of vehicles on the road by virtue of increased car sharing and reduced car ownership. Fuel efficiency in terms of man-miles per gallon will increase because of that alone.
    I can certainly see autonomous cars achieving better fuel efficiency but I'm not sure how they'd reducing the number of vehicles on the road by virtue of increased car sharing and reduced car ownership, if anything autonomous cars will increase ownership and usage by virtue of making it simpler, historically the simpler you make something the more accessible and widely used it becomes.

Even if, at the beginning of the self-driving car revolution, we go through a bad patch of lots of fatalities (and they - the media, and so on - will probably not be comparing AI-driven cars to humans, they will be lamenting every single fatality as if it's the end of the world), as long as the right people are in charge, the self-driving revolution will power on through regardless and the world will be safer and cleaner as a result.

Humans can deal with the unexpected, computers can't, humans can make moral decisions, computers can't, computers can be hacked, humans can't.

I'd say you're putting to much faith in the abilities of computers and don't understand humans.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Fully autonomous cars will (theoretically) make better use of existing road space by reducing the distance between vehicles. One of the main causes of conjestion is the delays in braking by drives, causing bunching and effectively causing waves of rarefaction in a traffic stream. If autonomous cars signal the car behind that it is braking, and so on, then all cars in a virtual convoy will brake (and accelerate) as one - effectively the vehicle will be connected via a virtual drawbar.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • 32GB Corsair Dominator DDR5 6000MHz
      • Storage:
      • Samsung Evo 120GB and Seagate Baracuda 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Of course computers make mistakes, but they make (far) fewer; they don't 'care' about people in the sense that people care about people, but given we can program them, we can program them to 'care' about people.
    But we cannot program them to predict and anticipate to the same level that we can, with all the variables factored in, including that 'Sixth Sense' that you get when you just know that BMW driver is going to suddenly pull across four lanes without indicating...

The software will inevitably have bugs, but we're human, we're full of them.
    And who is writing the software?
    Humans. Bug-ridden humans.

as long as the right people are in charge
    Gotta stop you there - The 'right' people will never be in charge.
    This whole technological revolution, in the car industry and all others, is being severely limited and only allowed to trickle through as and when someone can make money out of it.

Thanks
    • wazzickle's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus H470M-itx
      • CPU:
      • i5 10500
      • Memory:
      • 16Gb DDR4 HyperX Fury
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
      • PSU:
      • Corsair SFX 600
      • Case:
      • Ghost S1 V2
      • Operating System:
      • W10
      • Monitor(s):
      • LG IPS 27" 144Hz QHD
      • Internet:

Kinda a little shocked that this forum is populated by luddites

Thanks

Not as shocked as i am to find people on a tech enthusiast forum consider computers to be infallible.

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Kinda a little shocked that this forum is populated by luddites
    We've already plenty of technology that removes all decision-making and even interaction from certain aspects of our lives.... There's a difference between fearing technological advancements that might improve our lives, and having little faith in technology that hasn't been anything but a headache.

The late but legendary peterb - Onward and Upward peterb's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    We've already plenty of technology that removes all decision-making and even interaction from certain aspects of our lives.... There's a difference between fearing technological advancements that might improve our lives, and having little faith in technology that hasn't been anything but a headache.
    Well, I suppose the most autonomous vehicle is a modern airline, which with the correct settings,will take itself off, flyitelf to its desination and land itself - with the pilot monitoring what is happening - which is boring for the pilot! IIRC (and I dont have a citation) the preferred mode of operation is for the pilot to fly, with the computer monitoring the pilot.

That said, automated landing systems can land an aircraft in conditions the pilot would find challenging (zero visibility for example).

But if you had a fully autonomous road vehicle, there wouldn't necessarily be any requirement (or capability) for manual intervention, leaving the occupant(s) free to do something more interesting/productive.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Been helped or just 'Like' a post? Use the Thanks button!
    My broadband speed - 750 Meganibbles/minute

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    But if you had a fully autonomous road vehicle, there wouldn't necessarily be any requirement (or capability) for manual intervention, leaving the occupant(s) free to do something more interesting/productive.
    If... we need to make it work first, though, which is the current headache and why I think we'll move on to other, better solutions before this becomes a reliable reality... probably because Flying Car Gmbh can make more money from their more reliable solution than Self-Drive Inc.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by Ttaskmaster View Post
    But we cannot program them to predict and anticipate to the same level that we can, with all the variables factored in, including that 'Sixth Sense' that you get when you just know that BMW driver is going to suddenly pull across four lanes without indicating...
    Image recognition for beemer or audi badges wouldn't be too hard to add to the car's computer

Thanks
    • Ttaskmaster's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Aorus Master X670E
      • CPU:
      • Ryzen 7800X3D
      • Memory:
      • Storage:
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Aorus Master 4090
      • PSU:
      • Case:
      • Lian Li V3000 Plus
      • Operating System:
      • Win11
      • Monitor(s):
      • Gigabyte M32U
      • Internet:

Quote Originally Posted by Xlucine View Post
    Image recognition for beemer or audi badges wouldn't be too hard to add to the car's computer
    Then put it to good use and add it to the weapon guidance system instead...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information