Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: QOTW: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or Intel Core i5-7600?

Thanks
    • The Hand's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AB350 Gaming-3
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 5 2400G
      • Memory:
      • 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4 3200mhz (8GBx2)
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Kingston SSD
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Geforce RTX 2060 Super 8GB Dual Series
      • PSU:
      • Corsair HX 520 Modular
      • Case:
      • Coolermaster Praetorian
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Sony 32 inch HD TV
      • Internet:
      • 20Mbps Fibre

Re: QOTW: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 or Intel Core i5-7600?

The Ryzen 5 1600 wins for me at least, 6 cores/12 threads for under £200, in fact I saw it going for £185 on Amazon a short time ago.

Thanks
    • devBunny's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P9X79 Pro
      • CPU:
      • i7-3930
      • Memory:
      • 8GB Kingston HyperX
      • Storage:
      • 256GB Samsung 830
      • Graphics card(s):
      • 2 x GTX 560Ti
      • PSU:
      • OCZ ZX1000W Gold
      • Case:
      • Xigmatek Elysium
      • Operating System:
      • Win 7 and Win XP in VMs
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3 x Dell 2410M 1920x1200 IPS

In this hypothetical it has to be the Ryzen. I have a yen for Zen, ye ken?

In practice the question is whether to get a ThreadRipper or an EPYC 1P. I look forward to reading reviews and calculating complete system prices. If Zen 2 isn't too far away then I might be able to wait for it.

Thanks
    • ik9000's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus P7H55-M/USB3
      • CPU:
      • i7-870, Prolimatech Megahalems, 2x Akasa Apache 120mm
      • Memory:
      • 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance 2133 11-11-11-27
      • Storage:
      • 2x256GB Samsung 840-Pro, 1TB Seagate 7200.12, 1TB Seagate ES.2
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Gigabyte GTX 460 1GB SuperOverClocked
      • PSU:
      • NZXT Hale 90 750w
      • Case:
      • BitFenix Survivor + Bitfenix spectre LED fans, LG BluRay R/W optical drive
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 7 Professional
      • Monitor(s):
      • Dell U2414h, U2311h 1920x1080
      • Internet:
      • 200Mb/s Fibre and 4G wifi

Quote Originally Posted by devBunny View Post
    I have a yen for Zen, ye ken?
    I see what you did there!

Thanks

Already chose a 1700. The 1600 is a good deal. In terms of future use 1700 would be better.

Thanks

It is pretty simple.. AMD offer the best product for the price currently.. am not a fan of either brand or want to defend them either, as a consumer I go for the best value for the coin spendt... though when I build it is the big CPU/GPU's though but even there AMD currently has won me over.

Thanks
    • azrael-'s system
      • Motherboard:
      • ASUS Prime X470-Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 7 3800X
      • Memory:
      • 64 GB ECC DDR4 2666 MHz (Samsung M391A2K43BB1-CTD)
      • Storage:
      • 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 1 TB Samsung 850 EVO, 12 TB WD HDDs
      • Graphics card(s):
      • eVGA GTX 1080 SC Gaming, 8 GB
      • PSU:
      • Seasonic X-Series 560W
      • Case:
      • Corsair Obsidian 550D
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64
      • Monitor(s):
      • Acer Predator XB271HU
      • Internet:
      • VDSL 55/12 Mbit/s

Intel all the way...

Nah, I'm just pulling your leg! Ryzen is a way better deal. Sure, single-threaded performance isn't quite up there, but Ryzen is more future-proof and AMD doesn't artificially segment the market like Intel by fusing off features.

As late as yesterday I recommended a friend to go with the R5 1600 over the i5-7600K. He's always been using Intel, but even he recognized the better deal when he saw it.

Thanks

This thread has been sprayed with red love (giggity). It proves that AMD have shook the market eith Intels response and the competition is now in the right area. I would definitely go for a r5 1600, this is due to my AMD bias but also because all my suspicions that Intel have been artificially holding back because they've had no competition has really angered me. If Intel had continued doing their devarc rather than just doing a ticktocktocktocktocktocktock on us, AMD wouldn't have had a chance.

Thanks
    • gordon861's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus ROG STRIX Z370-F
      • CPU:
      • i7-8700k
      • Memory:
      • 32GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • RTX2070
      • Operating System:
      • Win7-64
      • Monitor(s):
      • 3x Benq 2760

I'm still not sure which way I'll jump on this, part of me says follow the crowd and go with the AMD with the next PC I plan to build soon'ish. But my current PC is an i5-2500k which I've been running about six years and it's still going well, would I have been as happy with a six year old AMD, and will the AMD have the headroom to still be going strong in a few years time?

I know I wouldn't go for the non-K version of the Intel, the extra cost spread over the four-five year lifespan isn't a worry.

The two options in the question are comparing a 6 month old chip with a brand new one. I'm going to wait and see what Intel do with Coffee Lake later in the year before making a decision, so my answer to the question above at the moment is neither, I would wait a few more months to see how things settle. If AMD start taking market share Intel will have to react in some way, perhaps with more competitive prices.

Thanks

If I was spending that much it'd be the 1600 without question.

In fact the 1600 was second place in my CPU list, it only lost out to the G4560 because the extra £150 brought much better results when spent elsewhere.

Thanks
    • DanceswithUnix's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus X470-PRO
      • CPU:
      • 5900X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB 3200MHz ECC
      • Storage:
      • 2TB Linux, 2TB Games (Win 10)
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Asus Strix RX Vega 56
      • PSU:
      • 650W Corsair TX
      • Case:
      • Antec 300
      • Operating System:
      • Fedora 39 + Win 10 Pro 64 (yuk)
      • Monitor(s):
      • Benq XL2730Z 1440p + Iiyama 27" 1440p
      • Internet:
      • Zen 900Mb/900Mb (CityFibre FttP)

Quote Originally Posted by Wozza365 View Post
    If that were the case, how have they been able to all of a sudden release a tonne of new high core count processors, like 7900X, 7740k and many others. Intel have indeed been cruising at the bare minimum, and now that they have competition they are actually trying a little harder. I think the 7700k equivalent will finally be at least 6 cores for the next gen.
    Intel are re-packaging and re-branding existing Xeon products from an old roadmap. There is nothing new here other than an overclock of existing parts and some price adjustments. Yes the case for 6 cores is now so overwhelming that it looked like Intel were finally going to buckle anyway at least that far, but please don't confuse packaging with innovation.

Intel are primarily a manufacturing company, historically their CPU design has always lagged others. Even now when they are pretty much the only player, if I wanted a really high end server I would be looking at an IBM Power based machine. Then there is the way that Intel have been laptop focussed for some years now as they didn't think the desktop was a worthwhile market.

It takes several years to design a new core. Just to do a new layout with a given core/cache/gpu split takes about 6 months. Intel haven't reacted yet other than marketing tweaks. They have always been good at that, but that is to their advantage bleeding us for maximum profit not to our advantage.

I stick by my earlier comment, the Intel cores are as good as they can manage. The products are well balanced for maximum Intel profit. I can't see any holding back here, apart from they could have optimised for desktop rather than laptop. But then people seem to like the reduced TDP, so perhaps they were spot on there too.

Thanks
    • Xlucine's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Asus TUF B450M-plus
      • CPU:
      • 3700X
      • Memory:
      • 16GB @ 3.2 Gt/s
      • Storage:
      • Crucial P5 1TB (boot), Crucial MX500 1TB, Crucial MX100 512GB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • EVGA 980ti
      • PSU:
      • Fractal Design ION+ 560P
      • Case:
      • Silverstone TJ08-E
      • Operating System:
      • W10 pro
      • Monitor(s):
      • Viewsonic vx3211-2k-mhd, Dell P2414H

Quote Originally Posted by gordon861 View Post
    I'm still not sure which way I'll jump on this, part of me says follow the crowd and go with the AMD with the next PC I plan to build soon'ish. But my current PC is an i5-2500k which I've been running about six years and it's still going well, would I have been as happy with a six year old AMD, and will the AMD have the headroom to still be going strong in a few years time?

I know I wouldn't go for the non-K version of the Intel, the extra cost spread over the four-five year lifespan isn't a worry.

The two options in the question are comparing a 6 month old chip with a brand new one. I'm going to wait and see what Intel do with Coffee Lake later in the year before making a decision, so my answer to the question above at the moment is neither, I would wait a few more months to see how things settle. If AMD start taking market share Intel will have to react in some way, perhaps with more competitive prices.
    The difference between intel and AMD 6 years ago was not what it is now. If you can afford to pay the ~£300 for a 6-core coffee lake there'll be nothing wrong with it, but looking at value a 12 core ryzen processor will wipe the floor with a 4 core intel processor in 6 years time.

Thanks

I'll be one of the odd ones out and say I'd still go for the Intel chip. Because:

1.I like per-core performance (in my day to day work/play, 4 high-IPC cores are somewhat more useful than 6 mid/high-IPC cores).

2.Intel's platforms/chipsets are still a bit more solid than AMDs (as long as they're not rushing them out, *cough*X299*cough*). Was burned back in the Athlon x2 days and have just never really been convinced by AMDs platforms.

3. I like power efficiency and quiet-ish operation of my PC, while also enjoying some mild overclocking. Intel seem to care more about efficiency and cool running than AMD do (except with their TIM choices, but that's a minor grumble). Often feels like AMD chips are already well on the way to their thermal/power limits even running at stock.

4. I don't replace my core components often enough for an extra £100 here or there to be a massive decider, since a CPU/mobo platform will generally last me at least 4 years - plus we all know how relatively pointless it is trying to future proof a PC, anyway

Just my 0.02p

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Menty View Post
    I'll be one of the odd ones out and say I'd still go for the Intel chip. Because:

1.I like per-core performance (in my day to day work/play, 4 high-IPC cores are somewhat more useful than 6 mid/high-IPC cores).

2.Intel's platforms/chipsets are still a bit more solid than AMDs (as long as they're not rushing them out, *cough*X299*cough*). Was burned back in the Athlon x2 days and have just never really been convinced by AMDs platforms.

3. I like power efficiency and quiet-ish operation of my PC, while also enjoying some mild overclocking. Intel seem to care more about efficiency and cool running than AMD do (except with their TIM choices, but that's a minor grumble). Often feels like AMD chips are already well on the way to their thermal/power limits even running at stock.

4. I don't replace my core components often enough for an extra £100 here or there to be a massive decider, since a CPU/mobo platform will generally last me at least 4 years - plus we all know how relatively pointless it is trying to future proof a PC, anyway

Just my 0.02p
    1. I bet the per-core performance difference won't be noticeable or an issue to most of users, including you. You didn't used yet a Ryzen 1600 and a 7600 side by side to make a grounded statement.
    2. I had a nForce platform in Athlon X2 days and never had an issue really.
    3. This is just an old stereotype. AMD is much better nowadays with thermals/acoustics and Ryzen is comparable/even better compared to what Intel has.
    4. Yes, I have to agree with that, but now the market has an inflexion point - like in the single core to multi core days - when suddenly AMD came to life and gave people the chance to move away from only 4 cores, which Intel kept as long as they could.

So, all in all, I suggest you try first an AMD Ryzen powered system and after a few days of use, give us your opinion.

Thanks
    • Dashers's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
      • CPU:
      • Intel i7-5930K
      • Memory:
      • 48GB Corsair DDR4 3000 Quad-channel
      • Storage:
      • Intel 750 PCIe SSD; RAID-0 x2 Samsung 840 EVO; RAID-0 x2 WD Black; RAID-0 x2 Crucial MX500
      • Graphics card(s):
      • MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Ti
      • PSU:
      • CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 720W
      • Case:
      • Corsair 500R
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10
      • Monitor(s):
      • Philips 40" 4K AMVA + 23.8" AOC 144Hz IPS
      • Internet:
      • Zen FTTC

Ryzen seems like an easy and obvious answer.

Where it gets interesting is when you're not building a gaming PC. The Ryzen line aren't APUs, whereas all the Intel ones are up to the HPET chips. I was looking at a Ryzen 5 1400 for a low-end rig for somebody who doesn't game, and the Intel offering is actually cheaper because of this. I was quite surprised.

Thanks
    • Output's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte AORUS Master X570
      • CPU:
      • AMD Ryzen 9 3950X
      • Memory:
      • 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 Kingston Fury Renegade @ 3600MHz CL16
      • Storage:
      • Sandisk Ultra 3D 2TB
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 7800 XT
      • PSU:
      • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G3
      • Case:
      • bequiet Dark Base Pro 900 Rev.2
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 10 Pro x64

It would definitely have to be the Ryzen out of the two.

Partly as AMD usually tend to be better value, but mostly for the fact that I trust there to be more of an upgrade path with AMD, whereas Intel love to change sockets much more frequently.

Thanks
    • Percy1983's system
      • Motherboard:
      • Gigabyte x570 Aorus Pro
      • CPU:
      • AMD 5900x + Cooler Master Nepton 140XL
      • Memory:
      • 64GB (4x16GB ) Corsair Vengence 3200mhz @ 3600mhz CL16
      • Storage:
      • 1tb SP US75 Boot + Fast 4tb SP XS70 + Slow Raid 0 4tb (2tbx2) with 100gb NVME cache
      • Graphics card(s):
      • Vega 56 8GB
      • PSU:
      • 875w Thermaltake Toughpower XT
      • Case:
      • Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition
      • Operating System:
      • Windows 11 Pro 64bit
      • Monitor(s):
      • 24" Acer UHD x2
      • Internet:
      • Vodafone

Quote Originally Posted by Output View Post
    It would definitely have to be the Ryzen out of the two.

Partly as AMD usually tend to be better value, but mostly for the fact that I trust there to be more of an upgrade path with AMD, whereas Intel love to change sockets much more frequently.
    On that front there is of course the 1700(x)/1800(x) as an upgrade anyway but AMD don't tend to change socket with each new processor like intel seem to be doing these days which as you say is also an advantage.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information